PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Maddow in Shock: Tea Partiers Defeat PATRIOT Act

sailingaway
02-08-2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2011/02/08/rachel-maddow-in-shock-tea-partiers-defeat-patriot-act/

Brett85
02-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately she turned that segment into a rant against abortion laws, failing to recognize that many libertarians are pro life.

Anti Federalist
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Where is this "Tea party Defeats Patriot Act" meme coming from?

These are the 26 GOP Nay votes.

So far, I only see one or two "tea party" people, not counting Paul; and Amash of course.

Amash
Bartlett
Bishop (UT)
Broun (GA)
Campbell
Duncan (TN)
Fitzpatrick
Gibson
Graves (GA)
Heller
Hultgren
Johnson (IL)
Jones
Kingston
Labrador
Mack
Marchant
McClintock
Paul
Rehberg
Roe (TN)
Rohrabacher
Schilling
Schweikert
Woodall
Young (AK)

low preference guy
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM

So far, I only see one or two "tea party" people, not counting Paul; and Amash of course.

Eight new guys voted against it, including Amash.

Still, 8 is a small minority of the new class.

specsaregood
02-08-2011, 09:31 PM

dude, sshhhhhhh.

repeat it over and over. we want "tea party" people think being against the patriot act is cool now!

anaconda
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Tube? I think I missed something. Did the Patriot Act extension get shot down?

bunklocoempire
02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
dude, sshhhhhhh.

repeat it over and over. we want "tea party" people think being against the patriot act is cool now!

Yeah no kidding huh?

*cue music*

Everybody sing now!!

"and I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and that patriot act took a hit now thanks to the party o' tea..."

EDIT: ;)

Bunkloco

low preference guy
02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
dude, sshhhhhhh.

+1 for strategic thinking

Anti Federalist
02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
GOP freshmen help derail Patriot Act extension

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/02/gop-freshmen-help-derail-patri.html

By Scott Butterworth
Updated 9:45 p.m.

Nine Eight House Republican freshmen and three inaugural members of the Tea Party Caucus voted against a proposed extension of three Patriot Act provisions Tuesday night, blocking the measure from passage under fast-track rules.

The House clearly backed the measure, voting 277 to 148 to extend the provisions, and most Republicans stuck by their leadership and supported the extension. But enough defected, joined by most Democrats, to keep the measure seven votes shy of the two-thirds majority required for passage under the fast-track procedure.

The House is likely to bring the extensions back up before the end of the month under regular procedures, when a simple majority would suffice to send it to the Senate.

Attention immediately swung to whether House members sympathetic to the tea party had decided the matter, especially after Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) said Monday that the vote would be "the tea party's first test."

The Republicans who voted no Tuesday night included Roscoe G. Bartlett (Md.), Paul Broun (Ga.) and Walter B. Jones (N.C.), all of whom were original members of the House Tea Party Caucus when it was founded last summer.

And nine eight GOP freshmen also voted no: Justin Amash (Mich.), Michael G. Fitzpatrick (Pa.), Christopher P. Gibson (N.Y.), Tom Graves (Ga.), Randy Hultgren (Ill.), Raul R. Labrador (Idaho), Robert Schilling (Ill.), David Schweikert (Ariz.) and Rob Woodall (Ga.). (Updated: Graves was actually elected to office last June and thus is not an official freshman.)

sailingaway
02-08-2011, 09:42 PM
dude, sshhhhhhh.

this^^^

Brett85
02-08-2011, 09:43 PM

Amash
Bartlett
Bishop (UT)
Broun (GA)
Campbell
Duncan (TN)
Fitzpatrick
Gibson
Graves (GA)
Heller
Hultgren
Johnson (IL)
Jones
Kingston
Labrador
Mack
Marchant
McClintock
Paul
Rehberg
Roe (TN)
Rohrabacher
Schilling
Schweikert
Woodall
Young (AK)

Well what exactly do you consider a "tea party" person? I think the vast majority of those 26 Republicans would call themselves conservative Republicans.

Anti Federalist
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Well what exactly do you consider a "tea party" person? I think the vast majority of those 26 Republicans would call themselves conservative Republicans.

One who takes the title and was elected in the 2010 elections.

Cowlesy
02-08-2011, 09:50 PM

Amash
Bartlett
Bishop (UT)
Broun (GA)
Campbell
Duncan (TN)
Fitzpatrick
Gibson
Graves (GA)
Heller
Hultgren
Johnson (IL)
Jones
Kingston
Labrador
Mack
Marchant
McClintock
Paul
Rehberg
Roe (TN)
Rohrabacher
Schilling
Schweikert
Woodall
Young (AK)

I'm waiting for my ECI email telling me we need to vote these jeopardizers of national security out of office.

HOLLYWOOD
02-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Rep Dean Heller (R-NV) he's in Ron Paul country and he knows it. So, even though he would like to suckup to the establishment for advancement, it would look bad if he was voted out. He's our bitch and votes exactly what we communicate, just as every other representative should do, sellout to lobbyists and advancement.

So the TRUE TEA PARTY, forced their reps to vote constitutional.

The other Republicans should be targeted for elimination in the 2012 primaries with true CANDIDATES and not co-opted "Ringers"

Rachel Maddow doesn't have a clue, or is just pulling her daily, discredit the right side and whatever to make my side appear rational.

kpitcher
02-09-2011, 02:17 AM
votes exactly what we communicate, just as every other representative should do

I'm surprised no rep, even a state level one, hasn't went with the 'armchair democracy' that Perot was talking about years ago. With the Internet and smart phones it'd be simple to have everyone you represent give you a yah or nay on every single topic. Heck even a simple press 1/press 2 option by phone for the non-connected. If the rep decided to vote against the consensus then s/he better have a good reason to.

teacherone
02-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Yeah no kidding huh?

*cue music*

Everybody sing now!!

"and I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and that patriot act took a hit now thanks to the party o' tea..."

EDIT: ;)

Bunkloco

got that stuck in my head now!

Bern
02-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Tea Party, FUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fucking day yeah,
Tea Party, FUCK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way yeah,
Neo-cons your game is through cause now you have to answer too,
Tea Party, FUCK YEAH!
So lick my butt, and suck on my balls,
Tea Party, FUCK YEAH!
What you going to do when we come for you now,
it's the dream that we all share; it's the hope for tomorrow

Pericles
02-09-2011, 10:43 AM
dude, sshhhhhhh.

Frequently, it is better to be lucky than good.

georgiaboy
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm surprised no rep, even a state level one, hasn't went with the 'armchair democracy' that Perot was talking about years ago. With the Internet and smart phones it'd be simple to have everyone you represent give you a yah or nay on every single topic. Heck even a simple press 1/press 2 option by phone for the non-connected. If the rep decided to vote against the consensus then s/he better have a good reason to.

code the app, they will come.

HOLLYWOOD
02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm surprised no rep, even a state level one, hasn't went with the 'armchair democracy' that Perot was talking about years ago. With the Internet and smart phones it'd be simple to have everyone you represent give you a yah or nay on every single topic. Heck even a simple press 1/press 2 option by phone for the non-connected. If the rep decided to vote against the consensus then she better have a good reason to.

I had this very conversation the other week with a few friends... in today's day and age, every single breath of these politicians and their daily actions in legislation, meetings, etc should be tracked for public view. Yes, for voting, every constituent can vote from any of many avenues of communications. But we know why not... politicians want to be ambiguous so they can hide votes, nonsense like, avenues of tacking dozens of bills together, so they can say they voted for this and that good stuff, but leave out the bad bills from their propaganda statements. Then the garbage of, "were forced to compromise on votes" sellout stance, which again, they are great at manipulating to the public to seeing one side.

All that "transparency" they yakk about is BS... I think everyone of them in Congress should post a daily/weekly report of their actions and emailed/posted to all registered constituents.

I keep thinking of smart phone and computer APPS that let district constituents give a thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN vote on bills like the old days @ the Roman Colosseum... because we do live under the Imperial Empire of Washington DC.

jct74
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is the segment. She is "bummed" that Rand won't appear on her show anymore, and she says Ron Paul won't talk to her anymore either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaY9GtmYBRU

gls
02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Here is the segment. She is "bummed" that Rand won't appear on her show anymore, and she says Ron Paul won't talk to her anymore either.

Smart move on both their parts. Hardly anyone watches MSNBC anyway.

HOLLYWOOD
02-09-2011, 01:17 PM
MSNBC with their BSNBC/MSDNC agenda buried their own propaganda station. No one to blame but themselves, their out of context, one-sided, biased coverage and attack agendas have sealed their faith.

Scribbler de Stebbing
02-09-2011, 01:39 PM
we want "tea party" people think being against the patriot act is cool now!

Including that great, self-described "leader" of the tea party, Michele Bachmann and all the other frauds that have tried to jump in front of the train after it left the station.

surf
02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
boy, if you throw out the 75% of blathering in the middle of Maddow's rant it is almost flattering. i kind of wish she'd have made a bigger deal of the 67 democrats that voted in favor and more on the principled republicans... hell, if half those Ds had voted correctly she wouldn't have needed to mention the Pauls. if all those Ds vote the right way next time we could beat this heinous bit of legislation.

anyone know what the DHS expense is? how about how much $ could be saved if the act or these provisions are not reauthorized?

Any hope of getting Bachmann straightened out on this one?

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Looks like Maddow is desperately hurting for ratings and realizes that our movement brings big ratings. Listen Maddow...if you actually start acting like a journalist instead of a cheerleader then you would find people who do not share your political and personal inclinations would find themselves more amiable to coming on your show. Stop hit pieces. Have civil dialogue and recourse without trying to character assassinate.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-09-2011, 02:06 PM
boy, if you throw out the 75% of blathering in the middle of Maddow's rant it is almost flattering. i kind of wish she'd have made a bigger deal of the 67 democrats that voted in favor and more on the principled republicans... hell, if half those Ds had voted correctly she wouldn't have needed to mention the Pauls. if all those Ds vote the right way next time we could beat this heinous bit of legislation.

anyone know what the DHS expense is? how about how much $ could be saved if the act or these provisions are not reauthorized?

DHS is amazingly largesse. I would love to see it eliminated. Of course, the immigration hawks won't let the Coast Guard (Search and Rescue) become marketized since it would stop all high seas authoritarian stops, searches, seizures, and deportations.

Travlyr
02-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Divide and conquer ... more division ... Republican vs. Democrats, White vs. Black, Small government vs Big government ... divide and conquer tactics are so 20th century. Maddow is nothing more than an elite shill. A loser.

eduardo89
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Write to all those who voted nay and thank them, let them know you support them. I've contacted all those who have co-sponsored HR459 to tell them how happy I am they support that bill and also voted nay on the Patriot act.

Also, let EVERY congressman who votes yes know how disgusted you are in their vote!

Phone, email, fax, facebook, twitter, snailmail, use all means you can!

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 02:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaY9GtmYBRU

WTF did she expect? She knows Rand isn't racist and was spinning a bill that passed when he was two, not letting him discuss small government on any other example, specifically knowing it would be spun as racist. He had NEVER raised that bill in his campaign, it wasn't on his agenda at all.

Thanks for posting it, but I'm not interested even in watching her on youtube. I used to think she was credible, before she started being invited to the White House. It had the same effect on her, or worse, than Kucinich's flight on Air Force One had on him.

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Including that great, self-described "leader" of the tea party, Michele Bachmann and all the other frauds that have tried to jump in front of the train after it left the station.

People who call themselves tea party before a wave election aren't necessarily tea party. The most telling point is Ron didn't join. As for the Senate version, with Rand there, the rest will be easily seen as fake if they are.