PDA

View Full Version : Will 2012's Ron Paul be...Ron Paul?

bobbyw24
02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul was Tea Party before Tea Party was cool: The longtime proponent of limited government was out of step with the mainstream GOP as late as 2008, when he held a counter-convention to the Republican National Convention after being offered what he called a "second class" pass to the big event. The slight came despite the fact that Paul's libertarian-infused brand of conservatism had galvanized a passionate (if small) fanbase that rallied around his 2008 presidential bid - and served as a precursor to the Tea Party movement.

So now that the GOP has come around - so much so that Paul's son (an ideological equal) Rand Paul has been elected senator - will the 75-year-old run again?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20030989-503544.html

Matt Collins
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
1- Ron got a lot more than 2%. I think overall he received 6-7% of the total.

And it looks like this piece was nothing more than something designed to drive a wedge between RP and GJ supporters.

bobbyw24
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
1- Ron got a lot more than 2%. I think overall he received 6-7% of the total.

And it looks like this piece was nothing more than something designed to drive a wedge between RP and GJ supporters.

Wherever 2 or more Libertarians gather, you get??

DIVISION!!!

BuddyRey
02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I still think that both Ron and Gary should run. The more candidates the public sees defending the ideas of individual liberty and personal responsibility, the more the default, blue-pill crowd will begin to perceive these ideas as becoming popular. The more popular libertarianism is or appears to be, the more non-ideological people will hop on board just to be part of the bandwagon. I know it sounds strange, but this really is how a lot of voters think.

sailingaway
02-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I still think that both Ron and Gary should run. The more candidates the public sees defending the ideas of individual liberty and personal responsibility, the more the default, blue-pill crowd will begin to perceive these ideas as becoming popular. The more popular libertarianism is or appears to be, the more non-ideological people will hop on board just to be part of the bandwagon. I know it sounds strange, but this really is how a lot of voters think.

As Huckabee draws from Palin, GJ's voters would likely vote for Ron were GJ not in, don't you think? And the new ones who are being told falsely that Gary is as 'good as Ron but younger' may buy it, and vote Gary when he can't actually hold a candle to Ron imho.

In any event, I disagree.