PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Huckabee supporters

TVMH
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
I'll not post a link, but I have no qualms with visiting their site and seeing what they are talking about (hint: some of them still think we are "spammers" as opposed to "voters").

In fact, I don't think we should alienate them; we really do have common ground (distrust of Huckabee notwithstanding).

I've actually thought about registering over there, but I've been hesitant to do so, because some of them sound like the Free Republic type.

Just some thoughts...flame away. :D

brandon
10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I think those guys are cute. They are like our dorky little brother. They want to be just like us and they try so hard - but just keep falling short.

It is nice to see that at least one other candidate in the race has support from real people who aren't paid. Best of luck to them.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-22-2007, 07:52 PM
I'll not post a link, but I have no qualms with visiting their site and seeing what they are talking about (hint: some of them still think we are "spammers" as opposed to "voters").

In fact, I don't think we should alienate them; we really do have common ground (distrust of Huckabee notwithstanding).

I've actually thought about registering over there, but I've been hesitant to do so, because some of them sound like the Free Republic type.

What's "the Free Republic type"?

lasenorita
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Yet *another* Huckabee thread? What is our fascination with the 'Huckster' and/or his supporters ? A random person stopping by this forum might think we feel threatened by them. :p

LibertyEagle
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Just leave them alone. They have the right to support whom they choose.

Shouldn't we be focusing on how to get the word out about OUR candidate?

K1RBY
heres your flame:

stfu about huck....

we are not interested in a phony patriot preacher that dances around questions.

50% of what he stands for is total disregard for the constitution.
the other 50% of the shit he talks is meaningless...because he isnt serious about anything, except stealing RP's platform, now that RP is kicking his ass so badly.

brandon
Yet *another* Huckabee thread? What is our fascination with the 'Huckster' and/or his supporters ? A random person stopping by this forum might think we feel threatened by them. :p

It fascinates me because they worship our networking ability and are trying as hard as they can to do everything exactly like we have done it. For example, they had a thread earlier today where people where attempting to explain how Paul supporters have mastered the art of digg. They were trying to teach all the hucksters to digg just like the paulies. :)

It also fascinates me to see support for another one of the candidates. Up until that forum was created I was convinced all the other candidates support was only an illusion.

Sean
10-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Huckster is now picking up a lot of the Iamwithfred crowd now. The Fred people are realizing Fred is a dud. Now they go to Huckster and will find out he is just another nannystater big government Republican.

TVMH
10-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Uh, he's a candidate in the race? He has supporters that could possibly be Paul supporters if he bows out at some point?

Besides, I like hearing what the "opposition" has to say, and I seem to remember an older gentleman implying that doing so is wise. :cool:

brandon
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
heres your flame:

stfu about huck....

we are not interested in a phony patriot preacher that dances around questions.

50% of what he stands for is total disregard for the constitution.
the other 50% of the shit he talks is meaningless...because he isnt serious about anything, except stealing RP's platform, now that RP is kicking his ass so badly.

Of course were not interested in huck the candidate. I think we are all interested in the emerging grassroots support. It's just fun to watch them copy us.

TVMH
10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
What's "the Free Republic type"?

The type that says Dr. Paul is certifiably insane or that he belongs in gitmo because he advocates withdrawal from Iraq (I actually read that over at Huck's site).

ronpaulyourmom
10-22-2007, 07:59 PM

The terms of their signup state that only Huckabee supporters can be on the forums. It's their private property, so hey why not, let them do their thing. It's good to see them passionate about their future, they're 10x better than most of America regardless of who they support.

TVMH
10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
The terms of their signup state that only Huckabee supporters can be on the forums. It's their private property, so hey why not, let them do their thing. It's good to see them passionate about their future, they're 10x better than most of America regardless of who they support.

I never really got that far into registering...the thought only crossed my mind briefly.

If I had, indeed, registered, it would not have been under false pretenses.

mavtek
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Kinda sad about the bias they have in their forums if you ask me. Just goes to show you how little they respect an honest debate. I'd love to see some of them come here and actively debate us instead of trolling our forum for ideas and what not.

Cali4RonPaul
10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
I think those guys are cute. They are like our dorky little brother. They want to be just like us and they try so hard - but just keep falling short.

It is nice to see that at least one other candidate in the race has support from real people who aren't paid. Best of luck to them.

haha i like that analogy.. hey little brothers if you are reading this, way to go.. help Put Ron Paul in office and take alot of the group think evangelical support from Romney which he craves..

Shogun108
10-22-2007, 09:11 PM
You guys should feel intimidated. Especially since Huck has gained in Iowa.

Notwithstanding most of Paul's supporters are very outspoken whereas Huck's seem a bit more introverted and focused on blogs up until the beginning of October.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Huckabee is garbage.

ksuguy
10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Huckabee is starting to gain a little traction on the various gun forums I frequent. Everybody hates Romney and Giuliani. For awhile Fred Thompson was their big hope. Since he has kind of fizzled, more people are going to Huckabee.

werdd
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Focus on our canidate, we are only helpign their cause by visiting and registering on their site. They are depending on our heckeling to survive.... just focus on Ron Paul.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Huckabee is starting to gain a little traction on the various gun forums I frequent. Everybody hates Romney and Giuliani. For awhile Fred Thompson was their big hope. Since he has kind of fizzled, more people are going to Huckabee.

Even though Ron Paul is the biggest opponent to gun control?

demosthenes
10-23-2007, 08:29 AM
We just loves our freedom

freedominnumbers
10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Be nice guys. We should be working together to keep Hillary out of office and not slashing each other's throats.
That's a falsehood.

Our battle is not against the democratic party. Our battle is against any candidate who doesn't support the three basic principles. Life, Liberty, Property.

To suggest that we concede just to defeat a democrat is to suggest that we compromise our principles. I suggest that if the time comes, it will be obvious that Ron Paul will not concede, do the right thing and concede to Ron Paul. This would be more in line with your objective of defeating a democrat and our objective of keeping this nation free.

TVMH
10-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm a Huckabee man and, to be honest, came to check out your message boards out of curiosity. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I have to say that I am greatly disappointed. I'm not disappointed because we disagree on our candidate, but disappointed because you guys are vicious! The truth is that at some point one or the other of us is going to have to concede come general election time. This shouldn't be a battle between us. It should be a battle against the democrats. Because in reality, we agree on more issues than we disagree. Be nice guys. We should be working together to keep Hillary out of office and not slashing each other's throats. :)

Mason

That's not quite fair, runninmason.

We stand on ideological principles, and have serious disdain for political expediency.

Furthermore, we, for the most part and at any time, are willing to engage in serious and civilized debate the reasons behind our ideology.

What we usually get in return are ad hominem attacks and insinuations that we are all "loony".

I would be delighted to engage you in a serious and civilized debate right here in this forum; I would be glad to debate you in the other forum, but I won't hold my breath waiting for an invitation.

micahnelson
10-23-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm a Huckabee man and, to be honest, came to check out your message boards out of curiosity. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I have to say that I am greatly disappointed. I'm not disappointed because we disagree on our candidate, but disappointed because you guys are vicious! The truth is that at some point one or the other of us is going to have to concede come general election time. This shouldn't be a battle between us. It should be a battle against the democrats. Because in reality, we agree on more issues than we disagree. Be nice guys. We should be working together to keep Hillary out of office and not slashing each other's throats. :)

Mason

While I agree with the spirit, I have to disagree with the content.

We should all be working together, but for liberty- not a party. The hucksters and the paulites can agree on a few points.

1) We need more visibility for so called "2nd Tier" Candidates
2) We need a major overhaul of the way in which we fund our government
3) We don't want Hillary Clinton elected president

Obviously we have some points of contention.

1) The global war on terror, specifically Iraq.
2) Government influence in daily life
3) Party Politics

Hopefully in cases where we can get along, we will.

ksuguy
10-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Even though Ron Paul is the biggest opponent to gun control?

Yes, they do like Ron for that. Hell it is the main reason I'm supporting Ron. His 2nd amendment record is the best in congress.

However, many people don't like his foreign policy or they don't think he is charismatic enough. There are still some Thompson fans out there, but his support seems to have waned somewhat. There are now a handful of Huckabee guys. They don't seem to be strong Huckabee supporters, but they are desperate to find someone that is relatively pro gun and pro war. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of Ron Paul supporters, but not as many as there should be. Some people just can't get over the whole war issue.

mavtek
10-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Mason

Will he come back? How about post a topic here as to why you like Huckabee, give some reasons and then we'll do the same for Ron Paul. We feel that only Ron Paul can beat Hillary by the way. We feel this way because Ron Paul has brought in so many diverse people to support him and his message is what America is supposed to be about.

steph3n
10-23-2007, 12:19 PM
the biggest problem, and the greatest asset of the libertarian party that I see, as an outsider(and many here are LP former members) is their vast diversity, it is diverse in every nature, this is what leads to some vicious debates even among supporters.

In the end the same freedom and liberty unites US as liberty minded people, because common ground can be found in this truth. I have learned a thin skinned person, or someone insecure in their own beliefs will have a hard time comprehending how people can be in a verbal bloodbath, and in the end agree and vote for the same person with great enthusiasm.

However, the same people that may be thin skinned, if they stick it out will learn a lot, and be much more secure in their faith, liberty, and freedom.

mavtek
10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Thank you Runninmason

I agree that seemingly Huckabee does have some merit and his values are strong. He's pro-life, an ordained minister, he seems very nice and like able. My main problem with those who say they have "family" values by being anti gay rights is that they must not be looking at the big picture. We don't live in some utopia where everyone is like everyone else, it's just not the case. I find it almost reprehensible that a person who claims to have "family values" to be against civil unions allowing gay couples the same entitlements allowed to married couples.

As a married man with a daughter and another one on the way I don't think people who are so vehemently against gay marriage or gay unions understand the issue fully. Last year for quite a while our CFO was a lesbian in a committed relationship. She worked while her partner stayed home with their children, that's right children. You see the stay at home mother had been artificially insamenated twice and they had 2 children. I found the entire thing very interesting, she was lucky she was of higher income because our insurer would only cover her children and not her partner so whatever insurance she had to get for the mother was expensive and still didn't cover everything. Furthermore she was not able to get life insurance coverage, nor was she able to get any tax benefits. Financial issues were just the tip of the iceberg for them. They applied to several private schools for their oldest son and were denied on the basis of their lifestyle.

While I disagree with what homosexuals do with themselves and each other vehemently, I can not deny them the basic rights I have been given as a married man in our secular and I repeat "secular" society. This kind of rhetoric does nothing to punish the behavior. It truly only punishes the children they are going to have. We have no right to attempt to punish them or deny them rights because we feel their view on a family is incorrect and out of favor with God.

Huckabee on the war.
Sorry Jesus wouldn't be in a Iraq, Jesus would have never gone to Iraq and I doubt Jesus would have even gone to Afghanistan. As far as what Christians should do if they invaded someone else's land to me is simple "do as they would like to have done" and the Iraqi people want us out.

Wilkero
10-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I understand that some people find Huckabee enticing as a candidate because of his stance on "values" issues (whatever that means). However, that is his only real selling point. If you take away that portion of his platform, he has nothing that is any different than Romney, Thompson, Giuliani, or McCain.

Even in the debate on Sunday, he did not articulate any real positions on any of the issues. My wife and I watched the debate. I support Ron Paul, she is a democrat and leans toward Obama. After the debate, we were talking about who we each thought won. She said that people would think that Huckabee won because of his skill as an orator. I responded by expressing my disappointment in people if all they cared about was who the best speaker was, rather than who had the best positions and ideas. She said that it wasn't just that Huckabee was the best speaker, but that he articulated his ideas well.

When I asked her to give me one substantive idea that Huckabee had, she couldn't do it. She is extremely intelligent and she could not think of any answer Huckabee gave that had real substance. She conceded that she had been sucked in by his oratorical skill rather than actually thinking about what he was saying. I will grant that it is important to be able to express your ideas well, but saying nothing when you speak so eloquently is highly disappointing.

steph3n
10-23-2007, 03:13 PM
umm, marriage is simply not a government issue.
a baby alive is better than a baby dead!

First of all, I don't know that any of us can say that Jesus wouldn't be in Iraq. We simply don't know whether He would be there or not. The fact is that we are there. And whether I disagree with the war or not doesn't hide the fact that we're in the middle of a war that we need to finish.
Mike Huckabee served 10 years as governor of Arkansas, which happens to be a primarily democratic state. Not only did he win two elections but he won them by huge margins. That should say something about his record. If he was in fact a taxer and spender I highly doubt that Arkansas democrats would have elected him twice! He had two years to prove himself to the state before he ever had to run an election campaign.
About the gay marriage/adoption issue, Jesus may not have gone to war in Iraq but scripture outright condemns homosexuality. I cannot vote for someone who will fight for the rights of homosexuals. I will have to recant on the statement I made earlier about voting for Paul if he gets the nomination over Huckabee. I had no idea that he agreed with homosexual adoptions and marriages. Wow.

TVMH
10-23-2007, 03:25 PM
First of all, I don't know that any of us can say that Jesus wouldn't be in Iraq. We simply don't know whether He would be there or not. The fact is that we are there. And whether I disagree with the war or not doesn't hide the fact that we're in the middle of a war that we need to finish.
Mike Huckabee served 10 years as governor of Arkansas, which happens to be a primarily democratic state. Not only did he win two elections but he won them by huge margins. That should say something about his record. If he was in fact a taxer and spender I highly doubt that Arkansas democrats would have elected him twice! He had two years to prove himself to the state before he ever had to run an election campaign.
About the gay marriage/adoption issue, Jesus may not have gone to war in Iraq but scripture outright condemns homosexuality. I cannot vote for someone who will fight for the rights of homosexuals. I will have to recant on the statement I made earlier about voting for Paul if he gets the nomination over Huckabee. I had no idea that he agreed with homosexual adoptions and marriages. Wow.

Am I to assume that you do not subscribe to the philosophy of "judge not lest ye be judged"?

Am I also to assume that you think some sins are worse than other sins, and that you are authorized to decide which are greater?

Please clarify.

constituent
10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
I)My main reason for supporting Huckabee is because I 100% agree with his stand on family values. He has a solid record of opposition to homosexual marriage/adoption, abortion, etc. We need a guy like that in office especially since he'll be going in to a Democratic House and Senate. I feel like we can't take any chances of getting a president that will undo everything that has been accomplished to protect our families. Another thing to remember, the president is the commander and chief, but his power is limited by the House and Senate. Everybody likes to push the blame onto the president, but he can do very little without Congress' approval.

II)I'm still up in the air about the war argument. I just can't see that the best thing for our country would be to pull our troops out right now. I think it would be a huge injustice to those that have died for our freedom. I have a close friend who died in the war in 2003. After his death, his brother joined the military and his family wants us to stay in Iraq until the job is done. We need to listen to the families of those who have lost loved ones in the war. Of course those still fighting want to come home so I would expect them to support a candidate that promises an immediate pull-out.

Ok - (for your consumption) now let us break this down paragraph by paragraph.

I)

a) Homosexual Marriage/Adoption

You do understand that as a Christian the only
authority to grant its blessing over a marriage
is God, not the federal government.

Consider this, do you really want a president
who believes that it is the president's role
to regulate or influence what is and isn't
defined as marriage? Maybe only when
your 'team' wins?

Would you want Hilary (or her protege) to come along
in 2012 and get elected only to turn around and start
giving sanction (or lack thereof) to one form of marriage/family
structure over another? Just think about that

b) Going into a "Democratic" House and Senate

You do realize that the democrats hold the slimmest
of majorities in the senate right? You do also realize
that POTUS is not the only job up for grabs in '08
correct?

Here is why the Huckster's kids won't be able to pull
it together like the Pauliticos can: We are a movement,
this is the freedom movement, a mass liberation of the
human spirit that is taking place before your eyes-under
a Christian leader no less, you should take note of that-when
you side with Ron Paul YOU become a part of that. Huck is just some
guy, Ron Paul is Ron Paul.

btw

Whose congressional bids are you guys rallying behind
right now? Have you begun considering this angle at all?

C) Everything that has been done to protect our families

Like what?

D) The president is the Commander and Chief of the military
only, not the people, not the congress, not the judiciary, not
even in times of war. We are still the boss, please (particularly
if Huck, a Stalinist I might add, gets the nod) understand this
and act accordingly.

E) Sorry but the many blunders of the pentagon and all of the
goons at the DOD rests almost solely on the president's shoulders.
Remember he's the Commander and Chief, he calls the shots, he
hires and he fires.

II)

A) Friend that Died, Family Wants Us to Stay Until the Job is Done

Define "when the job is done." Sounds entirely too contrived,
because it is. Are you thinking right now, "when there is a secure
Iraq that can govern, sustain, and defend itself?" Because if you
are, we don't have that in America yet, so are we going to be
in Iraq for 200 more years as well? Consider that.

Also, many other people w/ family members and friends who have died
in this criminal, fascistic exercise of "authority" also want us out
IMMEDIATELY. All I ever hear from the republican right about those folks
is bashing and character assassination (a la Shehan).

B) Of course those still fighting want us to come home

Agreed. So why aren't you supporting our troops? Why
isn't Mike Huckabee supporting our troops? I have friends
that are soldiers and they want to come back home,
why don't you want them to? Is it that your life and
your safety are more valuable than their own?

edit::

P.S. another important and major difference between
our campaign and yours is that we are not here to
defeat anyone, rather we are here to elevate another
and each other.

constituent
10-23-2007, 04:03 PM
First of all, I don't know that any of us can say that Jesus wouldn't be in Iraq. We simply don't know whether He would be there or not.

Uhhh.... what part of "turn the other cheek" do you not understand?

"those who live by the sword..." ????

steph3n
10-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Uhhh.... what part of "turn the other cheek" do you not understand?

"those who live by the sword..." ????

one problem, we did the slapping :(

constituent
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
one problem, we did the slapping :(

lol.

even worse.

Keith
10-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Very long and well thought out response.

Constituent,

That was one of the best answers I have ever read. I was going to try to respond, but I can't think of anything that you left out.

I would humbly ask that you consider running for congress. When Ron Paul is elected we will need people who think like you up there to work with him.

barcop
10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Hello again.
My main reason for supporting Huckabee is because I 100% agree with his stand on family values.

You are correct. Huckabee has a great record on voting for family values... the family values of every illegal immigrant family in Arkansas.

You are also correct that Huckabee was relected twice by a democratic state....

WHY? Because he is a bigger Democrat than Republican. It's not a secret that he has a politically supportive relationship with the Clintons.

mavtek
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Runninmason since you completely disregarded my post I'll post one more time.

I agree that seemingly Huckabee does have some merit and his values are strong. He's pro-life, an ordained minister, he seems very nice and like able. My main problem with those who say they have "family" values by being anti gay rights is that they must not be looking at the big picture. We don't live in some utopia where everyone is like everyone else, it's just not the case. I find it almost reprehensible that a person who claims to have "family values" to be against civil unions allowing gay couples the same entitlements allowed to married couples.

As a married man with a daughter and another one on the way I don't think people who are so vehemently against gay marriage or gay unions understand the issue fully. Last year for quite a while our CFO was a lesbian in a committed relationship. She worked while her partner stayed home with their children, that's right children. You see the stay at home mother had been artificially insamenated twice and they had 2 children. I found the entire thing very interesting, she was lucky she was of higher income because our insurer would only cover her children and not her partner so whatever insurance she had to get for the mother was expensive and still didn't cover everything. Furthermore she was not able to get life insurance coverage, nor was she able to get any tax benefits. Financial issues were just the tip of the iceberg for them. They applied to several private schools for their oldest son and were denied on the basis of their lifestyle.

While I disagree with what homosexuals do with themselves and each other vehemently, I can not deny them the basic rights I have been given as a married man in our secular and I repeat "secular" society. This kind of rhetoric does nothing to punish the behavior. It truly only punishes the children they are going to have. We have no right to attempt to punish them or deny them rights because we feel their view on a family is incorrect and out of favor with God.

Huckabee on the war.
Sorry Jesus wouldn't be in a Iraq, Jesus would have never gone to Iraq and I doubt Jesus would have even gone to Afghanistan. As far as what Christians should do if they invaded someone else's land to me is simple "do as they would like to have done" and the Iraqi people want us out.

scrosnoe
10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
a link that may be of interest to all in this thread

http://www.redstate.com/blogs/perico/2007/oct/22/huckabee_has_to_answer_these_criticisms