PDA

View Full Version : CPAC: Some social conservatives attempt to link Ron Paul’s libertarianism to GOProud’s

bobbyw24
02-08-2011, 07:01 AM
This year, CPAC is making news before the conference even opens on Feb. 10. Furious at the inclusion of a gay Republican group, GOProud, among CPAC’s sponsors, a number of social-conservative organizations, such as the Concerned Women of America and American Family Association—and, more surprisingly, the Heritage Foundation and Media Research Council—are boycotting this year’s meeting. “To bring in a ‘gay’ group is a direct attack on social conservatives, and I can’t participate in that,” the Media Research Center’s Brent Bozell III told WorldNetDaily.

Bozell’s objection would be more credible if CPAC had not included other groups at odds with conservative orthodoxy in years past—including the American Civil Liberties Union. Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association provided a clue as to a deeper reason for the split when he said, “We believe in truth in advertising. They should call themselves the Libertarian Political Action Committee.”

One time Republican presidential candidate turned Fox News personality Mike Huckabee voiced the same complaint last year, as he pouted about Rep. Ron Paul’s unexpected straw-poll win. “CPAC has become increasingly libertarian and less Republican over the last years, one of the reasons I didn’t go this year,” Huckabee said.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/cpacs-social-war/

Elwar
02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't mean to be a "small tenter" but I believe that the social conservatives would feel more comfortable in the Democrat Party and the Republicans should encourage the social liberals to replace them.

Koz
02-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't mean to be a "small tenter" but I believe that the social conservatives would feel more comfortable in the Democrat Party and the Republicans should encourage the social liberals to replace them.

+ rep, I totally agree.

Bern
02-08-2011, 08:59 AM
The rEVOLution has co-opted a GOP propaganda tool. I like it.

Justinjj1
02-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Agreed

trey4sports
02-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I am totally adverse to SoCons. Really, if there's two things i can't stand in this world it's people who are intolerant of others cultures, and the Dutch.

Koz
02-08-2011, 01:40 PM
I am totally adverse to SoCons. Really, if there's two things i can't stand in this world it's people who are intolerant of others cultures, and the Dutch.

What's wrong, you don't like thier wooden shoes?

Matt Collins
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM

I vike goooooooooold

http://www.medestheticsrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/EZArticle-Link-gold-member.jpg

Nic
One time Republican presidential candidate turned Fox News personality Mike Huckabee voiced the same complaint last year, as he pouted about Rep. Ron Paul’s unexpected straw-poll win. “CPAC has become increasingly libertarian and less Republican over the last years, one of the reasons I didn’t go this year,” Huckabee said.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/cpacs-social-war/

Huckabee was on Fox business 2 weeks ago trying to explain why he was libertarian. What a tool.

erowe1

Ron Paul is a social conservative, certainly more of one than McCain or Romney.

Elwar
02-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Huckabee was on Fox business 2 weeks ago trying to explain why he was libertarian. What a tool.

I'd like to see video of that. He's been railing against libertarians for the past two years.

BrooklynZoo
02-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Huckabee was just complaining somewhere that CPAC has become more libertarian and less conservative. This is why he's the Huckster.

Captain Shays
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I'd like to see video of that. He's been railing against libertarians for the past two years.

If we can see the video of the Huckster saying he is a libertarian and put that in the same video of him railing against libertarians he would be finished.

Nic
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM

I've been looking for it, but can't find it. My dad told me about it. I'll call him and see if he remembers what show it was on.

trey4sports
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
If we can see the video of the Huckster saying he is a libertarian and put that in the same video of him railing against libertarians he would be finished.

probably not, in fact i doubt it would do much of anything.

BrooklynZoo
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
It needs to be tied to his other inconsistencies and policy failures. Huckabee comes across to most as a nice, heartfelt guy. The key here is to Jimmy Carter him- that is, to add that he's a nice guy whose liberal policies will not work for the GOP or America.

jake
02-10-2011, 10:35 PM
The Huckster would be a surefire loss for the GOP. He is a PREACHER ; too much religion for even the US to stomach in my opinion. (taking the electorate as a whole)

RP will crush Obama once we capture the GOP ticket.