PDA

View Full Version : Who provides more credible mideast/world news - Al Jazeera, Fox, MSNBC?

doodle
02-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Who provides the most credible mideast/world news of the three news channels - Al Jazeera, Fox or MSNBC?

Al-Jazeera's coverage of Egypt protests may hasten revolution in world news

Al-Jazeera English is enjoying new-found global popularity in the wake of the chaos in Egypt

John Plunkett and Josh Halliday
The Guardian, Monday 7 February 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/07/al-jazeera-television-egypt-protests

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2011, 02:22 AM
BBC world news would have been a good option.

olehounddog
02-08-2011, 02:28 AM
No contest

doodle
02-08-2011, 02:28 AM
BBC world news would have been a good option.

On second thought, it would have been a good option in a global championship but this news showdown is between "Free media" of the land of the free and a rising arab world news channel. Those Europeans are just too much into news stuff.
Although, I think BBC was not very accurate on Iraq and almost became mouthpiece of Tony Blair government. They like much of US media dropped the ball on that major fiasco.

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Also, what about RT?

DamianTV
02-08-2011, 02:45 AM
Twitter?

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2011, 03:03 AM
Twitter?

Interesting thought. Twitter provides some of the best information and some of the worst. In comparison to MSNBC, MSNBC knows they are spinning info, twitter is either raw, unedited truth or two worse things: Someone who is spreading what they believe is truth but isn't (or who's meaning got twisted due to the 140 char limit) or those spreading outright lies, in the hope it will be picked up as creditable raw truth.

Twitter is the Internet age equivalent of a ham operator picking up a channel due to a good ionic field bounce of a non-major station, for real time information on breaking situations.

-t

Athena
02-08-2011, 03:20 AM
http://www.google.com/trends?q=foxnews.com%2C+aljazeera.net%2C+msnbc.com %2C+bbc.co.uk&ctab=0&geo=all&date=mtd&sort=0

Twitter is the fastest, though, in some situations.

ETA: google trends, just for the US:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=foxnews.com%2C+aljazeera.net%2C+msnbc.com %2C+bbc.co.uk&ctab=0&geo=us&geor=all&date=mtd&sort=2

Athena
02-08-2011, 03:37 AM
I still can't believe the USG freakin' BOMBED Al Jazeera in 2003 and held one of their journalists in GITMO for 6 freakin' YEARS. All N Korea-like. Ugh. Just appalling. Leader of the free world my ass.

Athena
02-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Interesting thought. Twitter provides some of the best information and some of the worst. In comparison to MSNBC, MSNBC knows they are spinning info, twitter is either raw, unedited truth or two worse things: Someone who is spreading what they believe is truth but isn't (or who's meaning got twisted due to the 140 char limit) or those spreading outright lies, in the hope it will be picked up as creditable raw truth.

Twitter is the Internet age equivalent of a ham operator picking up a channel due to a good ionic field bounce of a non-major station, for real time information on breaking situations.

-t

It depends on who you're following for news. For news on Egypt, I've been following evanchill, bencnn, ivancnn, NickKristof, AJElive, Sandmonkey, and a select few others on the ground in Egypt and a few other journalists.

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2011, 03:44 AM
It depends on who you're following for news. For news on Egypt, I've been following evanchill, bencnn, ivancnn, NickKristof, AJElive, Sandmonkey, and a select few others on the ground in Egypt and a few other journalists.

Once you have a crib, following hash tags and identifying / evaluating sources seems to work well.

Build a hash tag dictionary. Channels change.

-t

Athena
02-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Once you have a crib, following hash tags and identifying / evaluating sources seems to work well.

Build a hash tag dictionary. Channels change.

-t

I'm a twitter nOOb. What you wrote sounds like Greek to me. lol. I just came across this twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/Christiversity/egypt-uprising-realtime-8

Don't remember how I found it. But it's the bomb. I think the AJE live blog might have linked to it.

BlackTerrel
02-08-2011, 05:44 AM
"Credible" depends on your worldview. If you think Al Jazeera is more accurate it probably is because their world view aligns more closely with your own.

My Coptic Egyptian friend wrote this about Al Jazeera - though I believe he is talking about the Arabic version

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?277775-From-Facebook-one-man-s-excellent-analysis-on-the-situation-in-Egypt

To my great disliking, Al-Jazeera TV Channel is currently the only source of live streaming for the demonstrations. I have pretty strong feelings about that channel. Since its creation in 1996, this Qatar-based satellite channel has been the official voice of the Muslim Brotherhood (MB) worldwide. And since the MB is on the side of the opposition almost everywhere in the Middle East, Al-Jazeera has continuously criticized almost all Middle-Eastern nations, accusing them of being American puppets and Zionist followers. The only two exceptions are Gaza (where Hamas, which is the MB-branch in the Palestinian territories, is in power) and - obviously - Qatar. This is in spite of the myriads of human rights violations in Gaza, and in spite of the fact that Qatar harbors the largest American military base in the region.

In light of these facts, it was not surprising that, since the beginning of the Lotus Revolution in Egypt, Al-Jazeera has repeatedly attempted to give the impression that the MB was playing a pivotal role in the protests. For the last number of days, the Qatar-based satellite channel has been interviewing MB members all day long, has exaggerated the news about arresting MB members, and has been spreading lies about MB leaders running the demonstrations in Alexandria. Moreover, whenever showing its "most important moments of the day", Al-Jazeera would show videos of Muslim demonstrators performing daily prayer on the streets. With more than 100 victims since the eruption of the revolution on Tuesday, the one funeral that Al-Jazeera chose to broadcast was that of a member of the MB who was shot dead in Alexandria. Al-Jazeera also broadcasted misleading news about the Coptic tycoon Naguib Sawires having left the country, which eventually turned out to be unfounded and erroneous information. In summary, Al-Jazeera, with its hidden pro-Islamist agenda, has lacked objectivity during the current crisis, and has been attempting to give its watchers the illusion that the revolution is led by the Islamists. However, that being said, I find myself obliged to salute the bravery of that channel and its Egypt-based team, as the only broadcasters who decided to defy the Egyptian government's embargo on satellite channels in the country.

ibaghdadi
02-08-2011, 05:52 AM
News reporting: Twitter. From real people at the real event, in real time. Aljazeera is also great, beats the rest, no contest.

News analysis: Nobody. Aljazeera has its biases so it's just one of several voices I like to hear.

Athena
02-08-2011, 05:59 AM
In light of these facts, it was not surprising that, since the beginning of the Lotus Revolution in Egypt, Al-Jazeera has repeatedly attempted to give the impression that the MB was playing a pivotal role in the protests. For the last number of days, the Qatar-based satellite channel has been interviewing MB members all day long, has exaggerated the news about arresting MB members, and has been spreading lies about MB leaders running the demonstrations in Alexandria.

Maybe AJ arabic has, but AJE has been doing the opposite. Anyone who has been following AJE will undoubtedly back me up.

ibaghdadi
02-08-2011, 06:02 AM
BlackTerrel, all respect is due to your Egyptian friend. There are some points to take from his analysis, but more than revealing Aljazeera's biases, it's revealing his own biases.

From a purely factual points of view, Aljazeera's reporting has been round the clock and pervasive. They covered the Muslim prayers and the Coptic mass live. They are definitely not exaggerating the role of the MB, in fact if anything, they are down playing it. They aren't over-interviewing MB members either - their chief guest-analyst has been Azmi Bishara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azmi_Bishara), an orthodox Christian Palestinian from Nazareth.

Your friend will have to one day come to terms with the fact that Egypt is a Muslim-majority country. I don't understand why scenes of demonstrators performing their prayers offends him so much. I pray for his heart and soul, and for anyone not touched by the beautiful Muslim-Christian harmony of the past couple weeks.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/236675443.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297167477&Signature=n38l%2BuXU6tVrNm79MwtSAzHi4jc%3D

Hope.

ibaghdadi
02-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Maybe AJ arabic has, but AJE has been doing the opposite. Anyone who has been following AJE will undoubtedly back me up.

I've been watching both, and I can tell you their emphasis is the same.

hazek
02-08-2011, 06:06 AM
How could we let ALJ know that they should invite Ron or Rand for interview if they want a pro freedom opinion?

Athena
02-08-2011, 06:32 AM
I've been watching both, and I can tell you their emphasis is the same.

I'll take your word. I've been obsessively following AJE since around Jan 24. I've seen almost everything they have broadcast. Livestream every waking moment and reading the live blog and tweets when duplicate content is on livestream.

Hell, the most wonderful images of religious harmony came from them, when they showed, many multiple times, the Copts forming a human chain/shield around the praying Muslim protesters, where the Christians were protecting the praying Muslims from Mubarak thugs. I'm an atheist, and I wept several times when it happened, all broadcast on AJE.

This weirdo totally false slander of AJ is just bizarre. If anything, reading between the lines and speculating in a pretty paranoid fashion, they're doing the total opposite of these accusations.

Athena
02-08-2011, 06:38 AM
How could we let ALJ know that they should invite Ron or Rand for interview if they want a pro freedom opinion?

They want the US cable market BADLY. Just email them. FWIW, they want the "civil libertarian left" viewers, too. So a Nader/Paul interview would be ideal. They've interviewed Nader already, and I think they don't know that they have a libertarian market. I'd be happy to send out emails to AJ and Nader if anyone wants to make it happen. Just let me know.

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2011, 06:39 AM

http://english.aljazeera.net/aboutus/2006/11/2008525184028476209.html

send feedback button on top right.

Ron Paul has been on Al Jazeera in the past - do a google of: Al Jazeera ron paul youtube

-t

ibaghdadi
02-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Just a note, Ron Paul would be an instant hit with Arabs/Muslims.

fisharmor
02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Also, what about RT?

RT has some good segments - there are a few folks there who almost - ALMOST get that government is the enemy.
However, there are a lot there that muddy the water with anti-corporate bloviating, who never connect the dots and come to the full realization that it's really still government kicking you in the nuts when a corporation is wearing the boots.
I watch RT for the same reason I watch NHK - to get some perspective, see how and what people outside the US think.
Less for news.

Athena
02-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Just a note, Ron Paul would be an instant hit with Arabs/Muslims.

What %?

My impression is that Arab Muslims are kind of a mixed bag of nuts, sort of like the USA. A LOT of them seem to be social conservatives - anti-gays, anti abortion, etc. A lot of the youth are secular leftists, though moderate Muslims. There are some closet atheist libertarians, too.

ibaghdadi
02-08-2011, 07:26 AM
My impression is that Arab Muslims are kind of a mixed bag of nuts, sort of like the USA. A LOT of them seem to be social conservatives - anti-gays, anti abortion, etc. A lot of the youth are secular leftists, though moderate Muslims. There are some closet atheist libertarians, too.

The Arab/Muslim crowd are decidedly skeptical about all American politicians. They've pretty much decided that be it a Republican or a Democrat in the White House, some Arab/Muslim blood will be spilled in their term.

Just explain Ron Paul's non-interventionist foreign policy positions, and his policy regarding aid to Israel, and his principled resistance to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and you'll have a winner.

Then, and then only, would they open up to listening more about economic policies and freedom philosophy. I believe these could be a hit too, if explained/approached the right way, but only when the credibility gap has been filled.

Athena
02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
The Arab/Muslim crowd are decidedly skeptical about all American politicians. They've pretty much decided that be it a Republican or a Democrat in the White House, some Arab/Muslim blood will be spilled in their term.

Just explain Ron Paul's non-interventionist foreign policy positions, and his policy regarding aid to Israel, and his principled resistance to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and you'll have a winner.

Then, and then only, would they open up to listening more about economic policies and freedom philosophy. I believe these could be a hit too, if explained/approached the right way, but only when the credibility gap has been filled.

That makes perfect sense. :)

Thanks.

Southron
02-08-2011, 07:43 AM

I think this needs to be done by fellow Muslims who believe in liberty.

They seem to be part of very insulated communities in the Western world.

hazek
02-08-2011, 08:46 AM
http://english.aljazeera.net/aboutus/2006/11/2008525184028476209.html

send feedback button on top right.

Ron Paul has been on Al Jazeera in the past - do a google of: Al Jazeera ron paul youtube

I sent a feedback and I retweeted one of their tweets.

hazek
02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
What %?

That might be, but I think getting rid of Mubarak plus the influence of the US is their highest priority right now and so I don't think they'd even care about Ron's other positions and would worship him as soon as they'd hear him wanting to withdraw all the troops and stop all the aid and trade and be friends with them instead.

pcosmar
02-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Twitter?

I second this, but it does that some filtering and cross checking.

pcosmar
02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
psyvid RT @TimKarr: Apparently U.S. news networks have deemed Darth Vader Boy a bigger news story than #Egypt #Jan25 #MediaFAIL http://twitgoo.com/1yo2et
http://twitgoo.com/1yo2et

It is not going unnoticed.

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Explain his views on aid to any country - Israel isn't the only problem. Ditto non-intervention.

ibaghdadi
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Explain his views on aid to any country - Israel isn't the only problem. Ditto non-intervention.

Exactly - nailed it right on the head. To the average Arab/Muslim, "US should not give foreign aid to any Arab country" translates as "US should not prop up our tyrants and dictators". They will be very impressed.

dannno
02-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Who provides more credible mideast/world news - Al Jazeera, Fox, MSNBC?

Al Jazeera
27 100.00%

Fox
0 0%

MSNBC
0 0%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

doodle
02-08-2011, 01:40 PM
I kinda suspected that there was not much trust of MSM among people but looking at this poll results... damn LOL

dannno
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
WTF?!!? Who the hell mucked up our poll with a Fox vote?!

Talk about a turd in the punch bowl..

ibaghdadi
02-08-2011, 02:06 PM
WTF?!!? Who the hell mucked up our poll with a Fox vote?!

It's a public poll. Just click and find out :)

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Is this really even a contest? Jeez....

heavenlyboy34
02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Also, what about RT?
I agree that this should be in the poll as well.

Vessol
02-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Al Jazeera has it's own biases, but it's still a much better source than Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.

BlackTerrel
02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
BlackTerrel, all respect is due to your Egyptian friend. There are some points to take from his analysis, but more than revealing Aljazeera's biases, it's revealing his own biases.

From a purely factual points of view, Aljazeera's reporting has been round the clock and pervasive. They covered the Muslim prayers and the Coptic mass live. They are definitely not exaggerating the role of the MB, in fact if anything, they are down playing it. They aren't over-interviewing MB members either - their chief guest-analyst has been Azmi Bishara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azmi_Bishara), an orthodox Christian Palestinian from Nazareth.

Your friend will have to one day come to terms with the fact that Egypt is a Muslim-majority country. I don't understand why scenes of demonstrators performing their prayers offends him so much. I pray for his heart and soul, and for anyone not touched by the beautiful Muslim-Christian harmony of the past couple weeks.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/236675443.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297167477&Signature=n38l%2BuXU6tVrNm79MwtSAzHi4jc%3D

Hope.

Did you read the whole thing? What he wants is even greater Christian involvement in this revolution and he praised those Christians who are currently involved.

He is somewhat concerned for what happens next - which many people are.

doodle
02-09-2011, 01:06 AM
"Credible" depends on your worldview. If you think Al Jazeera is more accurate it probably is because their world view aligns more closely with your own.

That could be chicken and egg situation since our worldview is shaped by news that come on our tubes since 99.9% of us have never visited mideast. In any case, which news channel of these three sources your "worldview" finds more accurate/credible?

doodle
02-09-2011, 01:09 AM
wtf?!!? Who the hell mucked up our poll with a fox vote?!

lol

BlackTerrel
02-09-2011, 11:12 PM
That could be chicken and egg situation since our worldview is shaped by news that come on our tubes since 99.9% of us have never visited mideast. In any case, which news channel of these three sources your "worldview" finds more accurate/credible?

I don't watch news on TV. I'm too ADD and it's too slow.

I get my news online. Google News, RPF, emails from friends, Facebook and general discussion.