PDA

View Full Version : Is Ron partially deaf?

jumpyg1258
10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Ive seen this plenty of times at the various debates where a moderator asks Ron a question and they have to repeat it for him so he can hear it. Just wondering if Ron is partially deaf or is there something else going on since I do not see anyone else up on those podiums having this problem.

noxagol
10-22-2007, 06:44 PM
McCain too, he has problems a lot too.

NinjaPirate
10-22-2007, 06:44 PM
He ackknowledged me just fine when I briefly spoke with him yesterday...AND he had a mob of people around him. :D

SwordOfShannarah
10-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I think he has trouble hearing Neo-cons. They speak in tongues. :p

mport1
It seems like he is definitely losing his hearing.

john_anderson_ii
I don't think any of these guys are exactly spring chickens. :D

Also, it would seem logical that the acoustics of the stage/sound system are designed to project sound to the audience, not the guys on the stage. But I don't know for certain.

ItsTime
10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
well lets see, none of them really answered the questions besides Paul... I guess he has the best hearing.

Then we have Fred: I hope I said... I dont recall...

jumpyg1258
10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
giuliani had same problem so idk

Have not noticed that, so maybe its just me.

thehittgirl
10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I think he has trouble hearing Neo-cons. They speak in tongues. :p

Oh I needed that laugh..thanks :D

jumpyg1258
well lets see, none of them really answered the questions besides Paul... I guess he has the best hearing.

I think your confusing hearing with having a brain.

LibertyOfOne
BURN!!!

ronpaul4pres
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Ive seen this plenty of times at the various debates where a moderator asks Ron a question and they have to repeat it for him so he can hear it. Just wondering if Ron is partially deaf or is there something else going on since I do not see anyone else up on those podiums having this problem.

He's near Tancredo's "book end" position, so he's a bit further away from the people asking questions.

And, some did point out that others on the stage had similar problems.

remaxjon
10-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I've seen him need questions repeated on several occasions. The guy is old what are you going to do. It does look bad but I think its just one of those things that can't be changed.

NinjaPirate
10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I don't think he does, it's probably bad acoustics.

Akus
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
It seems like he is definitely losing his hearing.

trust me, it's the acoustics, if he were really deaf, we'd find out much sooner.

dmspilot00
10-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Several of the candidates have had hard time hearing questions at the past few debates. At the PBS debate, Ron Paul said, "I'm very sorry, but I didn't hear your last sentence, because of the acoustics." A few questions later Brownback said that he didn't hear either, because a microphone was not on or something.

At the CNBC debate a week or so ago, I think Ron Paul heard all the questions, but McCain had a really hard time hearing. The look on his face was hilarious.

Both Ron Paul and Rudy Giuliani couldn't hear a question yesterday at the Fox Debate.

ItsTime
10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I am wondering why they were did not have hearing devices?

brandon
10-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Wow, you are all so wrong :)

This is a common tactic used in public speaking. If you don't immediatly have an answer prepared to the question asked, ask them to repeat the question. It gives you more time to think of the best way to phrase your answer.

These politicians all hear the question each time...they are just being politicians.

Shellshock1918
10-22-2007, 07:35 PM

Also, it would seem logical that the acoustics of the stage/sound system are designed to project sound to the audience, not the guys on the stage. But I don't know for certain.

Yes there are such things as dead zones. If one is in the right spot the noise can be canceled out.

Matt Collins
10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I am an audio engineer and I have already commented on this in another thread.

Yes, the acoustical situation was less than optimal at the event last night, it wasn't just RP but Rudy had the same problem.

But I do think that RP is less able to discern intelligibility of the spoken word based upon some of the videos I have seen of him. But that goes with the territory. At ages of 60+ the basilar membrane in the ear and the endolymph + perilymph become hardened over time which means that they don't vibrate to incoming sound waves as accurately as they used to. This causes a worse effect in some people more so than others.

And now for the dirty joke...

Since he was an OB/GYN for so many years, we can at least take comfort in the fact that if he does indeed go deaf, he still knows how to read lips! :D

FloridaJohn
10-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I am an audio engineer and I have already commented on this in another thread.

Yes, the acoustical situation was less than optimal at the event last night, it wasn't just RP but Rudy had the same problem.

But I do think that RP is less able to discern intelligibility of the spoken word based upon some of the videos I have seen of him. But that goes with the territory. At ages of 60+ the basilar membrane in the ear and the endolymph + perilymph become hardened over time which means that they don't vibrate to incoming sound waves as accurately as they used to. This causes a worse effect in some people more so than others.

And now for the dirty joke...

Since he was an OB/GYN for so many years, we can at least take comfort in the fact that if he does indeed go deaf, he still knows how to read lips! :D

You win this thread

brandon
10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Matt, do you preface everyone of your posts with your credentials in sound, or just the ones i read?

Matt Collins
10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I am wondering why they were did not have hearing devices?Because it would look retarded and would psychoacoustically confuse the candidates. Not to mention it would look like they are being being told how to answer the questions in their ears.

brandon
10-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow, you are all so wrong :)

This is a common tactic used in public speaking. If you don't immediatly have an answer prepared to the question asked, ask them to repeat the question. It gives you more time to think of the best way to phrase your answer.

These politicians all hear the question each time...they are just being politicians.

^^ this is what is happening.

Matt Collins
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Matt, do you preface everyone of your posts with your credentials in sound, or just the ones i read?Well, it gives a basis of credibility to what I post on the specific subject.

I am not a political scientist, so when I discuss politics or strategy on here, you don't see me touting my credentials there.

Anyone can post anything they want, it's the Net, but when I read a thread I like to try and sort out the BS from the people who know what they are talking about, and I know others do too. That's why when I make a post from an authoritative point of view, I try and make it known that I am an authority on that specific subject and that the following is my professional opinion, not my amateur opinion, personal opinion, or my best guess.

I am also a professional in radio broadcasting, marketing, and "intellectual property".
Hope that helps explain why.

rs3515
10-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Actually was mentioned on a couple of websites after the debate last night. Fox had problems getting the sound/acoustics set up appropriately in the space. It was in a convention hall that typically holds about 9,000, and they reduced the debate area down to a space to hold 3,000.

Bradley in DC
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
bad acoustics

Matt Collins
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Fox had problems getting the sound/acoustics set up appropriately in the space.Yeah, most TV broadcasters think of audio as an afterthought and hardly understand room acoustics. It doesn't surprise me.

BizmanUSA
10-22-2007, 08:02 PM

As a special events provider starting many years ago as a audio/sound systems designer/operator, I can say with a high level of certainty it was a problem with the stage foldback monitor speakers that must have been mounted in the lecterns or were floor monitor speakers out of camera range.

When I first saw RP straining big time I started to freak :eek: but he handled it like the champ that he is. Then when I saw the others doing the same straining I knew that there was a problem from the audio feed (possibly controlled in a remote truck somewhere hundreds of feet away)

I am sure the A1 (head audio engineer) was loosing his mind trying to correct the issue as they seriously pride themselves on making things perfect especially on air.

I have seen in the past where there is a house union crew that controls house audio that might had a console operator that wasn't doing their very best.

Also it could have been an equipment problem where Murphy's Law reared it ugly head and for once it was not an evil plan hatched by FOX.

I bet there was HELL to pay for after the event - if was just happening to RP I would have been screaming to high heaven - not that it would make it any better but I would have felt better. :confused:

The really bad part was that it happened to Ron Paul first! Seeing that he was far away from the FOX goons who where asking the questions goes to show how amazingly well RP could hear what he did. :cool:

Does it suck? Yes, without a doubt but what can be done after the fact - my guess is nothing of any good. Can't turn the clock back on live broadcasts!

BizmanUSA

WillInMiami
10-22-2007, 08:09 PM

No. I was there, Cameron's mic wasn't turned on for the majority of that question. We couldn't hear most of it either...

MGreen
10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I've seen him ask for a question to be repeated in two debates so far, and in both debates other candidates complained about the acoustics and had to ask for a question to be repeated as well.

Tidewise
10-22-2007, 08:55 PM

OMG LOL!

Matt Collins
10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
OMG LOL!Thanks. I was wondering if anyone saw that or not :p

Matt Collins
10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I can say with a high level of certainty it was a problem with the stage foldback monitor speakers that must have been mounted in the lecterns or were floor monitor speakers out of camera range.
I doubt they had monitors up there. Knowing broadcast people, they wouldnt want any foldback getting in to the mics thus causing extra noise into the broadcast.

axiomata
10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I've noticed it for quite some time, he's definitely a little hard of hearing. He ought to look into hearing aids, I don't care if it makes him look "old and weak." It is nothing to be embarrassed about. But I'm not his otologist, he might not need one.

Corydoras
10-23-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't think he has hearing problems at all. That "if Satan were here" tape shows he can hear fine in crowd situations.

BuddyRey
10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Ron Paul Fact: Ron Paul has trouble hearing the moderators at Faux News, because his ears are tuned to a particularly high frequency, and thus, can only decipher a human voice when it is imbued with the clarion tone of a plaintive yearning for liberty!!!