PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does the Egyptian military behave somewhat like Oath Keepers?

BarryDonegan
02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
This is the first time I've watched this type of extreme political conflict only to see the military primarily backing the people, refusing to attack their own people, and, if anything, taking efforts to prevent the secret police from attacking citizens with weapons.

It is interesting. I wonder what it is that makes the Egyptian military one of its most responsive institutions, while the conventional government is not. Is it due to some fundamental check-and-balance?

nobody's_hero
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
This is the first time I've watched this type of extreme political conflict only to see the military primarily backing the people, refusing to attack their own people, and, if anything, taking efforts to prevent the secret police from attacking citizens with weapons.

It is interesting. I wonder what it is that makes the Egyptian military one of its most responsive institutions, while the conventional government is not. Is it due to some fundamental check-and-balance?

Conscription probably has something to do with it. Egypt's is not an all-volunteer army, from what I understand.

pcosmar
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Conscription probably has something to do with it. Egypt's is not an all-volunteer army, from what I understand.

That is a large part of it. Only ranking officers are Party members. The lower rank troops simply refused to fire on family and friends.

There are some incidents where military IS following orders, and they are being condemned for it.
They are currently arresting journalists. I believe there are divisions within the Military.

Pericles
02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
The East German Army (Nationalvolksarmee) stood down in 1989 when the Iron Curtain and Berlin Wall came down.

Professional Armies see themselves as the armed instrument of the will of the people of their nation.

AFPVet
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Professional Armies see themselves as the armed instrument of the will of the people of their nation.

Indeed.

oyarde
02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Not sure , but unless anything has changed , conscrpits without college serve three years as an enlisted rank . There is a Special Forces Regiment in both Cairo & Alexandria .

ElCount
02-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Well it's difficult to know what the Egyptian Military's real strategy and actions are in this situation. There are some accounts saying the Pro-Mubarak protesters that were in the streets clashing with the opposition were either in the Mubarak government or military.

I do think there's merit to the Egyptian Military legitimately not wanting to shoot on its own citizens. However, I'm not convinced that's the entire story and they are merely do-gooders in this conflict. I still don't think anyone can rule out a military coup.

oyarde
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I assume if the Egyptian military was interested in that , they would have already done It ? There is nearly a half million of them.

pcosmar
02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Actually, I hope the OathKeepers are like the Egyptian Army, Or at least this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0rkoNGWnk