PDA

View Full Version : Astroturf Speed Camera Group Exposed

LibertyMage
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Dear Friends of Liberty,

It seems that new information about the speed camera fight is going to leak to the public until the very last second before tonight's vote. I have some breaking news and an urgent request.

First, the latest dirt on the speed camera scam.

A local reporter has cracked the story on public manipulation in the speed camera fight. Bryan Sears reports:

================================================== =====
"The grassroots effort to win council support has a powerful friend not found on its Facebook page: ACS State and Local Solutions, the company that holds the county’s speed camera contract and stands to financially benefit from the pending legislation."

"Kearney O'Doherty (KO) Public Affairs, the politically connected strategy firm hired by ACS, has helped 'Slow Down for Baltimore County Schools' communicate with County Council members and expand its base of support."
================================================== ===========

It seems that the support for this bill is nothing but a front for big money political insiders.

In a separate article, we find that ACS is lobbying its way to a no-bid contract with the county so that it can funnel millions of tax payer dollars into its pockets:

================================================== ======
"Under the terms of the current contract, ACS State and Local Solutions has been paid nearly $1 million of the more than $1.1 million — about 81 cents of every dollar in fines collected by Baltimore County.

The contract, as approved by the council, was never bid out."
================================================== ======

The volunteers of the Baltimore Campaign for Liberty have visited over 600 houses, educating local residents about this scam that the County Council is trying to force down our throats. The astroturf opposition has been smearing propaganda and lining the pockets of politicians.

We don't have to tolerate this corruption. Please call and email the following County Councilman. Be sure to tell them:

* We won't accept no-bid contracts

* We won't accept the manipulation of our legislative process by political insiders and lobbyists

* We don't want more speed cameras in Baltimore County

Vicki Almond
council2@baltimorecountymd.gov
410-887-3385

Cathy Bevins
council6@baltimorecountymd.gov
410-887-3388

As volunteer activists, we can stand up against big money insiders - but only we let our representatives know that we are going to hold them accountable!

The vote is tonight! Make sure you call the councilman now about and tell them you won't tolerate this scam!

LibertyIsGold
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Two of my friends ran the anti speed camera petition drive. I think they came up short about 1k signatures. We failed but it was well worth the effort.

Also, a couple months ago I saw someone had up a "speed camera ahead" sign on their property. I wonder if the cops told them to take it down