PDA

View Full Version : On what basis is Ron Paul not socially conservative?

Vessol
02-07-2011, 10:26 AM
An argument that many mainstream Republicans and Neocons make in their attack against Ron Paul is that while he is not fiscally conservative, he isn't socially conservative.

In my opinion, Ron Paul is one of the only consistently socially conservative politician there is. He is not only pro-life, but also anti-war which most Republicans are not. How can you be pro-life and pro-war? Those are two conflicting ideas.

I guess it stems from the fact that Ron Paul does not want to enforce his beliefs on others at the point of a gun? Is that the definition of social conservatism to these people?
I'd like to see where in the Bible or in any source that is used for a basis or morality, where enforcing morality with a gun is righteous?

specsaregood
02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I guess it stems from the fact that Ron Paul does not want to enforce his beliefs on others at the point of a gun? Is that the definition of social conservatism to these people?

You = hammer. That = nail head.

heavenlyboy34
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM
An argument that many mainstream Republicans and Neocons make in their attack against Ron Paul is that while he is not fiscally conservative, he isn't socially conservative.

In my opinion, Ron Paul is one of the only consistently socially conservative politician there is. He is not only pro-life, but also anti-war which most Republicans are not. How can you be pro-life and pro-war? Those are two conflicting ideas.

I'd like to see where in the Bible or in any source that is used for a basis or morality, where enforcing morality with a gun is righteous?

Depends on how you define "conservative". In my experience, the goal of conservatism is to maintain ("conserve") the status quo to the extent that it agrees with their sensibilities, and everyone else be damned. From the few mainstream neocons and self-proclaimed conservatives I've observed, their beef with RP is that he doesn't tow the party line and just obey the GOP apparatus. Having an opinion that is contrary to the rest of the "pack" is a big no-no to GOPers, in my experience. Wasn't it Reagan who said "thou shalt not contradict another Republican", or something to that effect? The Corporate Media republicans usually claim that he's "too libertarian", "too anti-military", "too radical", or something along those lines. It'll probably be a generation or two before the GOP establishment stops treating RP type folks like nut cases. /end rant