PDA

View Full Version : ATTN RealID Experts:

GunnyFreedom
02-07-2011, 09:47 AM
I have become a cosponsor on a bill you would not expect, in the hopes of affecting it to supplant RealID in some way. The bill is a statement defining "acceptable forms of Identification in North Carolina" and if someone can take a look at it, and help come up with an amendment to work to supplant RealID here, i would be most appreciative. Thanks!

http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/HTML/H33v0.html

SECTION 1. Article 18 of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes is amended by adding a new section to read:
"Article 18.
"Identification Documents.
"§ 15A‑306. Acceptable forms of identification.
(a) Acceptable Forms of Identification. – As used in this section, acceptable forms of identification for use in determining a person's actual identity by a justice, judge, clerk, magistrate, law enforcement officer, or other government official are as follows:
(1) A drivers license issued by any state, as the term "state" is defined in G.S. 20‑4.01(45).
(2) A special identification card issued pursuant to G.S. 20‑37.7.
(3) A military identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense.
(4) A passport issued by a government with diplomatic ties to the United States.
(5) An official document issued by the United States government showing the person to be legally present in the United States.
(b) Local Government Ordinances. – No local government may establish, by policy or ordinance, the acceptability of any form of identification, other than those listed in subsection (b) of this section, to be used to determine the identity of any person. Any local government policy or ordinance which contradicts this section is hereby repealed."
SECTION 2. This act is effective when it becomes law.

pcosmar
02-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Good Idea,
But I am not an "expert". I am simply opposition.

I belong to the "None of your damn business" school.

Bern
02-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Gunny, you might solicit feedback from these guys:

http://www.511campaign.org/

GunnyFreedom
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Good Idea,
But I am not an "expert". I am simply opposition.

I belong to the "None of your damn business" school.

Thanks PC,

I don't see any way in here to list prohibited ID's. Otherwise one could prohibit

"any ID that yadda yadda Federal yadda yadda."

I can work on language, but I need an avenue.

GunnyFreedom
02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Gunny, you might solicit feedback from these guys:

http://www.511campaign.org/

Query sent, thanks!

GunnyFreedom
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
As I see it now, I will have to propose a pretty dramatic amendment:

(b) Unacceptable forms of Identification

(1) Any form of identification that ...??? (RealID)

pcosmar
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I can work on language, but I need an avenue.

Yeah, Tough place.
but how about,,, Except for Contractual agreements and Felony arrest, a mans word is good enough.

Of course that would have to be translated into legalese. ;)

GunnyFreedom
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, Tough place.
but how about,,, Except for Contractual agreements and Felony arrest, a mans word is good enough.

Of course that would have to be translated into legalese. ;)

Hm. I think that's a different section though. "when to require ID." I think NC is already pretty close to that standard. I'd have to find and read that section of the General Statutes to know. In any case that would have to be a different bill, as it amends a different section.

Matt Collins
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Gunny, Have you heard of these guys? http://stoprealidcoalition.com/

Contact a guy named Mark Learner he can give you all the expert information you need on REAL-ID.

YumYum
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't see that University ID's are on your bill. My college ID is accepted by everyone as proof of who I am.

GunnyFreedom
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't see that University ID's are on your bill. My college ID is accepted by everyone as proof of who I am.

It's Cleveland's bill that I cosponsored to effect, not my bill. Small, but important difference. His primary goal was to prohibit illegal aliens from accessing services that require an ID, which I don't know how effective that will be since illegal aliens can still (sorta) get driver's licenses...

I think adding University ID's to the list will be seen as a 'loophole' to 'allow illegals' to secure legitimate identification. I don't actually have much of a dog in that fight, since I think we have far bigger problems than immigration, which need tackling first. Though, adding College ID sounds like a good idea.

I'm more interested in using the "acceptable identifications" law to toss a bookshelf down behind me as RealID is chasing me through the house. It's just a roadblock while we work up something more effective.

GunnyFreedom
02-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Gunny, Have you heard of these guys? http://stoprealidcoalition.com/

Contact a guy named Mark Learner he can give you all the expert information you need on REAL-ID.

Sent, thanks!