PDA

View Full Version : Attention, NRA members.

Anti Federalist
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
More Professionalism

Sunday, February 6th, 2011

http://www.theagitator.com/2011/02/06/more-professionalism-4/

A reader sends a link to this National Rifle Association profile of Jeff Overcash, who is listed as an NRA “curriculum developer” and certified law enforcement instructor.

Jeff is a 10 year law enforcement veteran who has honorably served with both the Charleston, SC and Ft. Lauderdale, FL Police Departments. While with the City of Charleston, Jeff served as a Field Training Officer, Narcotics Investigator, and SWAT Officer. After relocating to South Florida, Jeff served with the City of Ft. Lauderdale Police Department where he was assigned to the Patrol Division as well as their SWAT Team.

If you read this site regularly, Overcash’s name may ring a bell. Last year, he resigned from the Ft. Lauderdale police department after a a cell phone video showed he illegally arrested Brennan Hamilton shortly after Hamilton asked for Overcash’s badge number. The two had gotten into an argument after Overcash reprimanded Hamilton for leaning on his squad car, after which Hamilton rolled his eyes at Overcash. Overcash then falsely claimed in his police report that Hamilton was intoxicated and had resisted arrest.

This isn’t just a case of a cop losing his temper over a guy leaning on his car. His bad judgment carried over into an illegal arrest. He then filled out, signed, and filed a falsified a police report to cover up his other mistakes. Were it not for the video, Overcash’s report could very well have resulted in a man getting convicted and sentenced for crimes he didn’t commit. Now I suppose it’s possible that the only time Overcash abused his authority and lied in a police report was this one time where there was also video evidence available to contradict him. But it seems unlikely.

Gun training includes instruction on when it’s proper to use lethal force. If I were a member of the NRA, I’d wonder why my dues are paying for this guy to give that sort of instruction to other cops. Given the circumstances of his resignation, I’d also wonder why the NRA would describe Overcash’s service as “honorable.”

muzzled dogg
02-06-2011, 03:34 PM
National republican association

Matt Collins
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Have you seen this?

http://www.nrawol.net/

Southron
02-06-2011, 03:43 PM
National republican association

If you have voting rights you can vote for leadership.