PDA

View Full Version : Reach 10,000,000 people in two hours next month?

centure7
10-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I did some basic research and it seems the typical busy city interstate gets over 10,000 cars per hour during rush hour period, most going in one direction. 20,000 for particularly busy ones. The overpasses going over these busy highways sometimes have sidewalks where we could march back and forth (or just stand if loitering is okay) and hold signs up for the traffic to see. If 750 Meetup groups all did this on the same day during the busiest two hours of rush hour, then we could seen by 10,000,000+ people in two hours. If we actually could do this I think we would get another 10M views through media coverage. Is this realistic to pull off? If so I think it could be a bigger event than Nov5 and Nov10. What day would be best for this event? What would be potential problems? PLEASE RESPOND.

Mark
10-22-2007, 06:03 PM

No date in mind for me yet.. but.. GREAT IDEA.. WHY NOT??

c0unterph0bia
10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
There's an idea with some substance. That's the point of these forums. BUMP!

terlinguatx
10-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Stacey S
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanksgiving weekend would be a good one for heavy traffic, especially if there are traffic jams we could have quick conversations or chuck them a slim jim.

Another meet up suggested getting permission for a coin toss for RP. Just have to ask the sheriff. They toss a coin and you toss them a liberty card or something.

austin356
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
ok well why do we need to have a coordinated planning for this type of event?

inibo
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Now, if we could just take care of this part:http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/herding%20cats.jpg

AFTFNJ
10-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Can we do it on Nov 5?

honkywill
10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
i tried to do this with a pledge for constitution day.

i learned most people are too lazy to hold signs.

AFTFNJ
10-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I think we should have 2 groups, half door to door group & half Street signs group.

centure7
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanksgiving weekend would be a good one for heavy traffic, especially if there are traffic jams we could have quick conversations or chuck them a slim jim.

Another meet up suggested getting permission for a coin toss for RP. Just have to ask the sheriff. They toss a coin and you toss them a liberty card or something.

On Thanksgiving you have the busiest traffic but I don't think many people would want to campaign on their holiday weekend.

I think the busiest rush hours are Monday through Thursday. I think of those days, the heaviest website traffic would be Thursday. So Thursday would be my guess for the best day, but I don't have the exact numbers.

What specific day next month? Nov 8 would be close to the rally, but maybe too close for those who have to travel a long way. Nov 15 might work. We have events planned for Nov 5 and Nov 10... why not Nov 15 too? There is a lot of talk on these forums about putting most of our effort before the holiday season begins.... so that would fit in with the forum strategy.

madcat033
10-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Great idea! I am down for this.

Gimme Some Truth
10-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Great idea.

Call it "Ron Rage"

get it? :D

EDIT:

no,no,no! call it "The Ron Paul Roadeo"

eh? eh? ;)

centure7
10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Great idea.

Call it "Ron Rage"

get it? :D

EDIT:

no,no,no! call it "The Ron Paul Roadeo"

eh? eh? ;)

I dunno, I'll have to sleep on it... I need sleep at least once every couple of days :)

centure7
10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I think we should have 2 groups, half door to door group & half Street signs group.

I agree... because bridges may are boring to be standing there two hours. 1/2 the group could be on the overpass for an hour while the other half goes door to door with street signs. But I think we need at least 20 people on each overpass to show strong support in addition to simply name recognition. The argument most against as us "we have no support" when in fact we have the strongest support.

centure7
10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
ok well why do we need to have a coordinated planning for this type of event?

There is really only one reason why all meet-up groups should coordinate to do this on one single day... because the news will have an amazing story to report and we would be part of something special... "Over 500 groups across America hold Ron Paul Rally today." I have never heard of anything like that happening for any other politican in my life, but I'm only 27. Have you heard of anything like this happening?

Channing
10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I suggested the same thing in a thread of mine.

As for a date, how about December 16th, the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party?

That would make it just a few weeks before the first Primaries.

We could call it the "Ron Paul Party".
----
Another idea is the anniversary of the Articles of Confederation, November 15th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confederation

ConstitutionGal
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM

As for a date, how about December 16th, the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party?

I LOVE that idea!! I'm wondering if it might be more effective to just have everyone hit the closest overpass to where they live. The groups would be smaller but I think it would make a larger overall impression to have people on 10 overpasses instead of 20 people on one. Thoughts?

Channing
10-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I LOVE that idea!! I'm wondering if it might be more effective to just have everyone hit the closest overpass to where they live. The groups would be smaller but I think it would make a larger overall impression to have people on 10 overpasses instead of 20 people on one. Thoughts?

Yes, I think we should spread out, too. December 16th is a Sunday, btw.

centure7
10-23-2007, 11:03 AM
*deleted*

centure7
10-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah, and our biggest showing could be in Boston! They have some big traffic there.

centure7
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM

----
Another idea is the anniversary of the Articles of Confederation, November 15th.

By December the deadline to sign up as a Republican will be passed up for quite a few states. Wouldn't it therefore be better to have it in November?

ConstitutionGal
10-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Yes, I think we should spread out, too. December 16th is a Sunday, btw.

In that case, we might be better off picking another date. We need a day with high traffic volumn and that usually means a rush hour. Friday rush hours are HUGE in Nashville and (thanks to Nashville drivers :p ) we generally have several fender benders that slow traffic to a stand-still!

Shink
10-23-2007, 11:26 AM

----

How about BOTH dates, Nov. 15 AND Dec. 16? The lessons carried over to a second iteration may be invaluable.

A Ron Paul Rebel
10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Great idea!

I'll be adding this to www.ronpaulsrebels.com as a
strategic step.

In that case, we might be better off picking another date. We need a day with high traffic volumn and that usually means a rush hour. Friday rush hours are HUGE in Nashville and (thanks to Nashville drivers :p ) we generally have several fender benders that slow traffic to a stand-still!

Friday is the best for rushhour traffic (my specialty). The traffic is usually more congested (slower). Plus, people will have time to research Dr. Paul over the weekend. Also, friday is when most people get paid thus will be more likely to donate once enlightened!

How about BOTH dates, Nov. 15 AND Dec. 16? The lessons carried over to a second iteration may be invaluable.

I like the idea of having two days.

A Ron Paul Rebel

centure7
10-23-2007, 12:39 PM
OK, for now lets say the date is Nov 15th and Dec 16th.

The next step is to ask each Meetup group if they would be interested in this event. Who is interested in helping me with this?

centure7
10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
*bump*

It will take me forever to email all 1,100 meetup groups and ask if they are interested. Can I get any volunteers to help me with this?

centure7
10-23-2007, 10:48 PM
*LAST BUMP* If my idea is really that good then at least one person will want to help me with it. Maybe its not as good as I thought?

c0unterph0bia
10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Best idea in a long time!

centure7
10-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Best idea in a long time!

Thanks... I guess I just have the same self-doubt that Ron Paul had before his presidential campaign.