PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul at 5% in Arizona

RonPaulFanInGA
02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/02/romney-tops-in-arizona-kyl-probably.html

If there's one region where Mitt Romney seems to be the strongest of the Republican candidates it's the west. Our polling has consistently found him with a large lead in Nevada and he has the top spot in Arizona as well. 23% of Republicans say he'd be their top choice to take on Barack Obama next year to 19% for Mike Huckabee, 15% for Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin, 5% for Ron Paul, 4% for Tim Pawlenty, 2% for Mitch Daniels, and 1% for John Thune.

sailingaway
02-05-2011, 11:28 AM
That's really bad numbers for him. I wonder why?

Gaius1981
02-05-2011, 11:36 AM

The standard reasons, I assume. People don't consider him a legitimate presidential candidate with a chance to win, and they're turned off by his radical foreign policy. Nothing new.

Fredom101
02-05-2011, 11:38 AM

RP isn't police state enough for them. :(

sailingaway
02-05-2011, 12:18 PM
RP isn't police state enough for them. :(

Yeah, I saw numbers usa gave him a c- on immigration.... go figure. He's the only one with a coherent policy, and he's completely against amnesty. He just isn't into violating civil liberties.

They figure they'd get better from Romney, though? Romney isn't sincere on anything.

Kregisen
02-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Last AZ poll had him at 9%.....what the hell.

Kregisen
02-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I saw numbers usa gave him a c- on immigration.... go figure. He's the only one with a coherent policy.

What's his immigration stance again? It's been a while since I've heard about it. (not exactly his target issue)

sailingaway
02-05-2011, 12:24 PM
What's his immigration stance again? It's been a while since I've heard about it. (not exactly his target issue)

It is a bunch of pieces. He's against amnesty because of forced subsidies; he is for rule of law, but not for Real ID or Patriot Act (spun by some as useful in illegal immigration) and not against legal immigration. (numbers USA is by a guy who is against both legal and illegal immigration, and I'm sure that counts against Ron on their scorecard.) Generally speaking, the stuff that violates civil liberties he is against even if it would be useful to combat illegal immigration -- he doesn't think it justifies putting innocent Americans through the civil liberties violations. He'd back closing off birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants (one suspects he's had experience with the magnet it creates in his own practice, in Texas.) More importantly, he means everything he says and knows what a problem unlimited immigration of poor people and a welfare state creates. He prefers to cut off subsidies, but no one is cooperating on that front, and he thinks the law has to be enforced in a pragmatic way, not willfully avoided. On the other hand, I don't see him leading any dragnet to find 12 million people across the USA, either. Just make sure they can't show up for and collect benefits, if he were able to ensure that.

He's actually pretty strict compared to other politicians when you realize he absolutely means it and many who get bombastic don't mean anything and are just pushing for stuff they know they are safe in calling for because they will never get it.

hazek
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Ah you people are so ridiculously funny.

"Last AZ poll had him at 9%.....what the hell." "RP isn't police state enough for them." "That's really bad numbers for him. I wonder why? "

It all media propaganda. How do you not get this.

One more time: It's ALL media propaganda. Not just 30%, not just 50% but all 100% propaganda. RP will not get the nomination if you don't realize this and form a strategy that will primarily focus on fighting that propaganda. You can fundraise, you can protest, you can canvas, you can phone people, you can stand on your heads and he will not win it and it's 100% all going to be because media propaganda.

JamesButabi
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM

One more time: It's ALL media propaganda. Not just 30%, not just 50% but all 100% propaganda. RP will not get the nomination if you don't realize this and form a strategy that will primarily focus on fighting that propaganda. You can fundraise, you can protest, you can canvas, you can phone people, you can stand on your heads and he will not win it and it's 100% all going to be because media propaganda.

This was why I made the thread about Ron Paul's celebrity worth and us taking advantage of it. We need positive media at every turn, and it needs to be cool to vote for Ron Paul.

sailingaway
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Ah you people are so ridiculously funny.

"Last AZ poll had him at 9%.....what the hell." "RP isn't police state enough for them." "That's really bad numbers for him. I wonder why? "

Come to think of it, the press has been doing its best to blame 'tea party rhetoric' for the Arizona shootings. I wonder if that impacted this?

Zatch
02-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Ron Paul is probably one of the strongest candidates when it comes to border enforcement. They probably think he's for open borders because he's a libertarian and hasn't talked about his views on border security and illegal immigration much lately.

Yeah, I saw numbers usa gave him a c- on immigration....

Yea, but none of the potential presidential candidates made higher than a C+. Palin and Gingrich got a D- and Romney and Huckabee got D's.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/action/2012-presidential-hopefuls-immigration-stances.html

rich34
02-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Last AZ poll had him at 9%.....what the hell.

That's I was thinking. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the same polling criteria used against Ron is also at work again. These fuckers will do anything to keep the people thinking "he can't win......"

Kregisen
02-05-2011, 02:57 PM
That's I was thinking. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the same polling criteria used against Ron is also at work again. These fuckers will do anything to keep the people thinking "he can't win......"

How big are PPP's sample sizes? Nobody is going to change their vote from Ron to someone else, so obviously atleast one of these polls is very inaccurate.

Fredom101
02-05-2011, 03:54 PM
"Border enforcement" is a statist quagmire.
If you agree that we need to "enforce the borders", then you are taking the big government position. If we need border enforcement, that means we are saying the welfare/warfare state is a-okay, and we need to actually grow government by hiring a bunch of bureaucrats at the border. Focus on getting rid of the welfare/warfare state, and you've struck the root. Enforcing the border will never work. As the late great Harry Browne said, you could build the great wall of China on the border, and as long as you are offering a bundle of goodies on the other side (i.e. free schools, etc.), they will find a way to get around it.

hazek
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
This was why I made the thread about Ron Paul's celebrity worth and us taking advantage of it. We need positive media at every turn, and it needs to be cool to vote for Ron Paul.

I saw that and I think it's a great idea but not enough. What I'm trying people to get is that this should be almost our only focus.

I mean it's pretty fking simple: Media shapes public opinion -> public opinion decides who gets nominated = if we want RP to get nominated, we have to be able to shape public opinion.

libertybrewcity
02-05-2011, 04:38 PM
the numbers go up and down. it depends on who they poll. who cares