PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party Unlikely to Derail Patriot Act Renewal

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 03:50 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704376104576121960881420264.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_sections_news

I hope they are wrong.

Brett85
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM
"Moira Bagley, spokeswoman for Sen. Paul, said he plans to work with fellow legislators to address those concerns."

Does that mean he'll vote for the Patriot Act if it is reformed?

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
"Moira Bagley, spokeswoman for Sen. Paul, said he plans to work with fellow legislators to address those concerns."

Does that mean he'll vote for the Patriot Act if it is reformed?

That's how it sounds, although it could mean he is hoping to persuade fellow legislators to deep six the whole thing (my preference).

Brett85
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I would hope that people here wouldn't throw Rand under the bus if he votes for a reformed version of the Patriot Act. The fact that it would still be called "The Patriot Act" doesn't mean that it would be the same bill that was originally passed.

Sola_Fide
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Rand has spoken against the Patriot Act for years.

He was back at Knob Creek railing against the Patriot Act while the morons in the crowd were booing him.

Brett85
02-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Rand has spoken against the Patriot Act for years.

He was back at Knob Creek railing against the Patriot Act while the morons in the crowd were booing him.

Yeah, but has he ever said that he supports repealing the entire bill?

Brett85
02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i53OCgmRV-LgD9bcuzdXwyvKoXRA?docId=CNG.b31639fa6d87c5c3f1e98 f48717cb3b9.61

This article says that McConnell is behind GOP efforts in the Senate to make the Patriot Act permanent.

Feeding the Abscess
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Filibuster this unbelievably terrible sledgehammer against the American populace and I'll go doe-eyed. Actually vote for the thing, and I'll stop supporting him immediately. This is an issue that calls for a NO COMPROMISE stance. End of discussion.

If Rand made waves praising Cassius Clay for not compromising and compromises on this, he should be primaried and sent home after his term is finished.

Brett85
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Filibuster this unbelievably terrible sledgehammer against the American populace and I'll go doe-eyed. Actually vote for the thing, and I'll stop supporting him immediately. This is an issue that calls for a NO COMPROMISE stance. End of discussion.

If Rand made waves praising Cassius Clay for not compromising and compromises on this, he should be primaried and sent home after his term is finished.

Well from what I've been reading today they aren't even going to try and reform the Patriot Act. McConnell and Grassley are actually introducing a bill to make the Patriot Act permanent. The house GOP is only proposing to extend it for a year and have hearings on it in the mean time.

Liberty_Mike
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Agreed! If Rand were to filibuster the Patriot Act, that would make him the best Senator in history. If he votes for it, I will also jump off the bandwagon. There should be no compromise for the Patriot Act. The entire act must be repealed.

Brett85
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
The entire act must be repealed.

But is the entire act unconstitutional or just certain parts of it?

Matt Collins
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ieX2BnPwPk&feature=player_embedded

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
But is the entire act unconstitutional or just certain parts of it?

The problem is it is interwoven and until the final bill is voted and can be analysed, we wouldn't know. (bills, I should say since they split it in two.) For example, there is the threshold problem of no due process in determining a person is a suspect terror threat and subject to the act, the implications are throughout. Then, the roving wire tap -- ther suggested court review would only be of the suspect, once granted all the innocent people he crossed paths with who had THEIR info raided wouldn't get separate findings. Anything can be gutted, but this one would be need cooperation in intentionally doing that and an up or down vote seems the only hard line I can see there being agreement on.

This is the classic case for a legislative hold, with something that has been swept through in the past with no discussion at all. If he voted against it but didn't filibuster it it wouldn't be enough by itself to make me drop him, probably because I know he is trying hard to forge some other agreements, but to be honest, I'd be pretty disappointed.

And if it went through on voice vote when he wasn't in the room, and his hold could have stopped that, I will wonder why he didn't put the hold on it. Ron would. And in this case, if there is a difference, it is a difference that matters.

Humanae Libertas
02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Rand is trying too hard to appeal to the mainstream Republican. Perhaps he fears being painted as a RINO/Liberal if he came out against the PATRIOT Act in its entirety.