PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jefferson speaks of Julian Assange

acptulsa
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM
And say, finally, whether peace is best preserved by giving energy to the government, or information to the people. This last is the most certain, and the most legitimate engine of government. Educate and inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is in their best interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them.--Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him?--Thomas Jefferson 1801

We I hope shall adhere to our republican government, and keep to its original principles by narrowly watching it.--Thomas Jefferson 1793

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson 1816

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.--Thomas Jefferson 1787

But it is so difficult to draw a clear line of seperation between the abuse and the wholesome use of the press, that as yet we have found it better to trust the public judgement, rather than the magistrate, with the discrimination between truth and falsehood.--Thomas Jefferson 1803

It is however an evil for which there is no remedy, our liberty depends on freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost.--Thomas Jefferson

No experiment can be more interesting than that we are now trying, which we trust will end in establishing the fact that man may be governed by reason and truth. Our first object should therefore be to have open to him all the avenues of truth. The most effectual hitherto found is freedom of the press. It is therefore the first shut up by those who fear the investigation of their actions.--Thomas Jefferson 1804

'Nuff ammo? If not, add some!

acptulsa
02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
LOL. After my last comment on the 60 Minutes silliness, I find my comment expunged and my account closed! Imagine that!

Tal
02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
LOL. After my last comment on the 60 Minutes silliness, I find my comment expunged and my account closed! Imagine that!

Huh ? on this forum ?

Pericles
02-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Freedom of the press belongs to everybody who owns a press.

acptulsa
02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Huh ? on this forum ?

No, no. I'm talking about that bastion of free speech, Truth and the memory of Edward R. Murrow known as the beloved Columbian Broadcasting System.