PDA

View Full Version : Redstate: Should libertarians be banned from CPAC?

erowe1
02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.redstate.com/melissaclouthier/2011/02/04/should-libertarians-be-banned-from-cpac

Maybe it’s time to define Conservatism. People throw around the term and it’s getting almost as used, abused, caricatured and feigned-persecuted as the term RINO–everyone’s favorite fallback when they choose political expedience over principle.

Republicans are NOT necessarily Conservatives, although many Republicans are conservative. So, envision the Venn Diagram above as having Republicans all around. Some Republicans are incoherent. That is, the slide between the circles for convenience sake or depending on what idea is currently trendy.

Politicians and their political staffers vacillate between the circles; usually based on political convenience. For example, almost all Republicans pay lip-service to fiscal conservatism but almost none of them believe it in practice. They all have their exceptions because they all have their pet ideas about what the government should do. Most of these ideas mean getting into your business.

Some politicians hold socially conservative beliefs but don’t like talking about them because it’s icky. More of them, especially in the Senate, are socially liberal.

Republicans killed their brand by nearly abandoning any form of fiscal conservatism. They believed in keeping taxes, but not spending, low. This caused the government to grow and the future debt obligations foisted on future generations to grow with it. The Democrats have since made the Republicans look like pikers in comparison, but the Republicans still have a ways to go to undo their image and action problem.

Now, there’s much ado right now about the Conservative Political Action Conference because an identity-politics group GOProud has been allowed to attend CPAC. Having read founder Chris Barron’s material and seen his activism, it seems that his group fits into two circles (or in the past, referred to as two legs of the Conservative tent)–the fiscal conservative and hawk circles. Here is the group’s belief statement:

What we believe
We are conservatives who believe in limited government, individual liberty, free markets, a strong national defense and a confident foreign policy. We believe that every individual should be equal under the law. Click here to learn about our federal legislative priorities.

I’m pretty sure the “equal under the law” thing is a euphemism for gay people being married like hetero people. Otherwise, this is a fiscally and defense-wise conservative group.

Meanwhile, there are Libertarians of the Ron Paul variety. Last year, they notoriously won the CPAC straw-poll (a function of a bunch of college Ron Paulians being shipped to the conference to stuff the voting). You can look at the Libertarian’s platform here. There is little about social issues, and in fact, many Libertarians are pro-Gay Marriage and pro-abortion. Or, they believe that these are personal choices and not to be part of the government at all. As to foreign policy, many libertarians are frankly anti-war, period. Some others believe in border protection with the rest of the world on its own. Others believe that America is only obligated to fight back when they’re attacked (and the 9/11 attack was not a real attack).

As far as I can tell, many, if not most, libertarians inhabit only one circle on the Conservative Venn Diagram. In fact, Libertarians are so adhered to being anti-foreign intervention and pro-abortion and gay marriage that they vote Democrat — see also Megan McArdle, et al.

Should these people be excluded from CPAC? They only constitute one leg of the Conservative tent while the GOProud constitutes two.

I’ll come back to that question. For a moment, let’s consider the Tea Party. When polled, Tea Partiers are very socially conservative. They emphasize fiscal conservatism because they feel the threat to the Republic and to personal liberty is the vast debt and the ever more powerful federal government–both of which strangle the freedom enumerated in the Constitution.

Does this swing both by the Tea Party, and by the nation generally, toward more fiscal restraint mean that the social issues are no longer important? Certainly not! It just means that many Americans believe that the pressing issue is the suffocating debt. Many also believe that many social ills can be solved by getting the government less, and not more, involved in citizens’ lives.

The Tea Party’s focus makes Republicans uncomfortable, because, more than any other policy, fiscal cuts are concrete. Lofty rhetoric can be thrown around about social issues, but so far, the only way at many social issues has been by cutting public funding (a fine strategy, by the way). Money can be measured. Republican action on such a tangible circle will be judged and judged harshly come this next election.

In an effort to conflate things and confuse the issue, many Republicans and even some Conservatives, throw the libertarians and the Tea Partiers into the same boat. This is a mistake. Tea Partiers are very concerned about fidelity to the Constitution and fiscal restraint and worry that much of the tradition that made America great is not being conserved. Libertarians would like to progress toward new social structures, tend to be more secular, and tend to have isolationist foreign policy views. These are big differences.

Another note. There is a strain of Big Government Conservatives in the Republican party. These folks have strong sympathy for social justice issues–they might want universal health care, for example, because they believe it’s the Christian Thing To Do. This impulse can also influence foreign policy–intervening on behalf of Christians being massacred in nations being overrun by Islamists (Sudan) or sending billions in foreign policy aid to Africa for AIDs medicine and Malaria prevention, as an example. These folks often favor Amnesty for illegal aliens. President Bush was this flavor of a Conservative. He was hawkish and socially conservative but he was not, in the least, a fiscal conservative. He saw the government as an objective force for good. To fully understand this strain, read Michael Gerson’s book Heroic Conservatism (I may be the only one who read that book, but it laid out this philosophy).

It is safe to say that the Tea Party reacted to this lopsided conservatism. At what point do Christians need to tend to their own house? America’s house needs some tending. And so, the fiscal brakes have been applied to get True Conservatism back in balance.

In addition, there are one-issue voters in every circle. That is, there are some Republicans who only vote Republican for fiscal reasons (they own a business and don’t care about the rest of it, for example). Some vote Republican because they’re one issue is abortion. They give to the SBAList and they vote Life. I have evangelical friends who chose Mike Huckabee on only this issue. The rest of his stands mattered little. And then there are a whole new group of Republicans who are somewhat derisively labeled “Neocons”. These are hawkish foreign policy folks, often but not always Jewish, who were turned by the 9/11 attack. These folks can be quite liberal on spending and social issues.

Being a Republican is indeed a Big Tent. And all the one-leg folks will be at CPAC, too. The SoCons, the NeoCons, the Libertarians–all guys who may consistently inhabit only one circle–will be there.

Back to GOProud and Libertarians.

What to do with them?

I remember being at a conference two years ago being exasperated at the naivité of the group of libertarians and an old GOPer said to me, “We need their votes, too.”

But CPAC is NOT the Republican party and it’s not the Libertarian Political Action Conference, it’s an ideological gathering where people work together to form action around Conservative Ideals. The Conservative Political Action Conference brings together all those who have disparate conservative principles; activists, who gather information, share information, and act on that information.

Some folks don’t get on the agenda. In fact, Pamela Geller missed being on the agenda in years past because the topic of Islamism in America and around the world was too un-PC. She rented a room and had overflowing crowds anyway.

Some folks get into the conference that some others don’t like. I could list some organizations that I’m not fond of who’ve been regular CPAC attenders. No matter, in the war of ideas, the truth always wins.

For those irritated by the Gay Marriage idea being allowed in the tent, isn’t it time to do something at the event to convince the attendees of the value of Traditional Marriage? If a session such as that isn’t allowed on the agenda, isn’t that a big enough idea to rent a conference room and speak on it? The fact is, the Value Voters Summit speaks to one leg of the tent. It is, in a sense, preaching to the choir.

The conservative movement swings. And different issues come to the fore depending on the circumstances. It is not being overly dramatic to believe that America faces a dire fiscal crisis and it is the defining issue for the next two years. That doesn’t mean all other issues are irrelevant. It just means that fiscal conservatism is at the fore.

Since Libertarians occupy the fiscal conservatism circle, they’re getting more attention and validation than they’ve had in years. Being that many of them are so annoying on other issues, it can be grating to have them be center stage when they aren’t conservative in any other meaningful way. Still, that doesn’t mean that some ideas that had been out in libertarian land aren’t now mainstream conservative ideas–auditing the Fed comes to mind, cutting whole government departments comes to mind. Ideas that were once unthinkable are now at least being considered. How do we put these fiscally conservative ideas into practice?

I’m sure you see where I’m going with this…

The answer to the question about whether Libertarians should be at CPAC..is well, yes, they should be there. And so should GOProud. They have every right to try and convince people of their ideas. The Conservative world is not the Borg. It is not some monolithic hive-mind like the Left enjoys. There are debates and the circles expand and constrict.

The fiscally conservative circle was nearly non-existent for years. I’m glad it’s back. I hope it can make a difference policy-wise and through concrete legislation.

And I hope social conservatives don’t abandon CPAC. I have strong reservations about identity politics in conservative thought. In fact, I’m pretty sure identity-politics are antithetical to conservatism as a philosophy. Still, we need to reach more minority voters and convince them of conservatism. How do we do that and not balkanize conservatism?

That’s a real discussion that must be had. And CPAC is just the place to have it.

erowe1
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Here's a comment I posted.

I’ve noticed more and more that the label “libertarian” has become a strawman for moderate Republicans to hide how moderate they are. They redefine themselves as moderates, and say that anyone who’s more serious about reducing the size of government than they are is actually a libertarian. When the truth is, those libertarians are just true conservatives. Lindsay Graham is a classic example of someone who relies on that rhetorical trick.

I can’t say how many times in 2008 I heard people say that Ron Paul was not a Republican because he was a “libertarian.” But on the two biggest social issues where the so-called libertarian view is a liberal one (abortion and illegal immigration) Ron Paul brought a much stronger conservative and not libertarian record than either McCain or Romney did, and no one ever said those two moderates were not Republicans.

Also, it’s important to make sure not to confuse the categories by the way the question is presented. I fear that the use of a Venn diagram might do that. Conservatism isn’t some haphazzard combination of a little bit of this and a little bit of that. It’’s a coherent approach to public policy, where the conservative take on fiscal issues, social issues, and military issues all fit together. In each of those issues, Reagan’s dictum stands as equally true, government is not the solution to our present problems, it is the problem. It is progressive policies in the past that expanded the scope of the government beyond its constitutional boundaries that has led to the social problems that some misguided conservatives think will be solved by a big-government band-aid put on top of the wound caused by big government, rather than rolling back the mistakes of past generations of progressivism. Likewise with the role of the US in the world. The conservative position is one that regards the very concept of global government (and, therefore, the existence of a global policeman) as an abomination. Foreign aid (to any country for any purpose) is always a liberal policy, as are nation building, using sanctions or the military or other interventionist measures to promote and protect democracies, and preemptive war. America is less safe today because of progressives of the past, from Wilson to FDR to Truman to LBJ tried to approach the planet the way they approached the nation, as central planners. The conservative answer to those mistakes isn’t to double down on them, it’s to roll them back. That is the essence of a strong defense, and what makes defense different than offense. The conservative approach is one that prizes defense, as Reagan did, by peace through strength. The progressive and neoconservative approach doesn’t pursue peace through strength, it pursues war, and often as a backdoor means of providing corporate bailouts and economic stimulus.

But with those caveats, then if the libertarians that are to be excluded from CPAC are liberal libertarians and not conservative libertarians, then yes, they should be excluded. But if they’re both conservative and libertarian, then they shouldn’t. Folks like Pat Buchanan and John Hostettler shouldn’t be excluded because of their paleo-conservative foreign policies. Nor should Ron or Rand Paul, Justin Amash, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, George Will, Dick Armey, or other conservatives who follow the Austrian school of economics and demand a return of the federal government to its constitutional limits.

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Libertarians STARTED CPAC. When the moral majority took it over, it wasn't nearly as cool a party and people stopped coming so much. Fiscal concerns are back, and attendance is up. I think we've learned not to let others take over our structures.

No one should be 'excluded'. They just see how little their numbers really are when the rest of the world is allowed in.

Jeremy
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
He says libertarians support abortion? Odd... especially since the libertarians who go to CPAC are conservative libertarians and Ron Paul supporters... who are pro-life.

muzzled dogg
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
why don't we let the event organizers decide?

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
My comment,
Good ideas rise to the top. If ideas have merit, you don’t need to exclude anyone.

In any event, didn’t Goldwater Republicans (more apt a likeness to the bulk of Ron Paul supporters than big L libertarians) pretty much start CPAC? Ron Paul is pro life and pro US sovereignity. Many neoconservatives are willing that US sovereignity should be under the World Bank, UN and other international organizations. Not so Ron Paul nor his son. Which of the other mushy middle candidates at CPAC stand up to that standard? Besides Ron’s son Rand, I mean.

In recent years until last year the topics at CPAC weren’t really a draw to fiscal conservative paleocons in the Ron Paul tradition, so there were fewer there. The fare at CPAC has improved, so more people are coming, making those who used to dominate the crowd nervous. But that is just competition of ideas, the underpinning for our first amendment. Surely you are in favor of that?

jdowns
02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
How on Earth could they ban a belief set from CPAC? How would the process even begin?

Cowlesy
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Well, I'm just so thrilled that libertarians have her all-important blessing to attend.

As a Conservative, I find many common causes with libertarians. To the point on a Moderator on a forum with lots of libertarians. :P

Pretty typical article. Paint all libertarians as secular abortion-aficionados with no moral compass. Throw in at least one usage of the term isolationist and a few vague references to isolationism.

Cowlesy
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Grover Norquist has been moving to a more conservative foreign policy of late. He's a big player in the ACU sphere.

The 'Establishment Right' and 'Neoconservatives' have been saying a lot of really hateful things about him because he's married to a woman who is a muslim. They've called him a Jihadi amongst a plethora of other ad-hominems.

It's simply amazing how they get away with it. Think if you turned the tables and start bashing one of their own because their spouse was any other religion. Hate and discontent and ultimately ostracism from the conservative sphere would certainly follow, and quickly.

If people don't like 'libertarians' or people who identify as 'gay' or any other label they find offensive, don't go! Start your own conference and compete!

Sola_Fide
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Well, I'm just so thrilled that libertarians have her all-important blessing to attend.

As a Conservative, I find many common causes with libertarians. To the point on a Moderator on a forum with lots of libertarians. :P

Pretty typical article. Paint all libertarians as secular abortion-aficionados with no moral compass. Throw in at least one usage of the term isolationist and a few vague references to isolationism.

+:collins:

ClayTrainor
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
He says libertarians support abortion? Odd... especially since the libertarians who go to CPAC are conservative libertarians and Ron Paul supporters... who are pro-life.

I don't know how you can say that with such confidence. There's more likely to be a mix of pro-choice and pro-life. Have you seen the abortion debates between Ron Paul supporters?

ClayTrainor
02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Ban libertarians, and libertarians will still find a way in. :)

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
If you read her article she is really saying we shouldn't ban anyone, she uses the red herring of banning fiscal conservatives (which she unfortunately labels by the Libertarian party platform) to remind people how well that didn't work when fiscal conservatives were ignored and the party didn't follow any remote sort of fiscal conservatism as a result. She is really speaking about the nonsense about banning GOProud.

Sola_Fide
02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't know how you can say that with such confidence. There's more likely to be a mix of pro-choice and pro-life. Have you seen the abortion debates between Ron Paul supporters?

I think you might be right Clay.

In fact, the abortion issue is one of the primary issues where Ron Paul is RIGHT and many of his supporters are WRONG...where he is a consistent libertarian and his supporters are still Statists.

Jeremy
02-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Most Ron Paul supporters are opposed to abortion. Make a poll.

edit: Since no one believes me, I will just make the poll myself.

ClayTrainor
02-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I think you might be right Clay.

In fact, the abortion issue is one of the primary issues where Ron Paul is RIGHT and many of his supporters are WRONG...where he is a consistent libertarian and his supporters are still Statists.

Nope.... Not gonna take that bait, lol. :p

ClayTrainor
02-04-2011, 12:06 PM

I'll be sure to vote and pay attn to results. Make sure u word the poll fairly. :)

I'm betting that it will result in a very long thread, lol

johnrocks
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I can see it now...The song "Let Freedom Ring" is playing in the background while this writer is screaming " BAN THE LIBERTARIANS"!

Jeremy
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I'll be sure to vote and pay attn to results. Make sure u word the poll fairly. :)

I'm betting that it will result in a very long thread, lol
See, I was right. And this is INTERNET RPers. I imagine I'm even more right if it was possible to poll them all.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2011, 12:28 PM
You cannot support "limited government" and the military/surveillance complex at the same time.

The two are mutually exclusive.

Anything else is mental masturbation.

ClayTrainor
02-04-2011, 12:29 PM
See, I was right. And this is INTERNET RPers. I imagine I'm even more right if it was possible to poll them all.

The poll has been up for like 5 minutes lol.

I will concede to your point after a little more time, but it does seem that you were correct in your assessment, so far.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
How on Earth could they ban a belief set from CPAC? How would the process even begin?

Cavity searches?

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Cavity searches?

as in one's cranium?

dbill27
02-04-2011, 01:08 PM
redstate is about as conservative as mitt romney. I encourage everyone who is a real conservative to go on redstate frequently and make their voice heard.

HOLLYWOOD
02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
man look at comments:

Libertarians attack national SecCons

Libertarians of the Ron Paul Variety, are no difference than Daily Kos anti-war types. They blame so-called NeoCons for problems in the Middle East (i.e Israel, Egypt, and Iraq).

"actively working against" is the key phrase

If Ron Paul wants to talk about low taxes, he should invited.
If he wants to talk about foreign policy blow back, he should be given the boot.
Most libertarians are not the Ron Paul variety. Many independent swing voters have at significant libertarian leanings (see Tea Party).

Foreign Policy Blowback

Is a fact. Our CIA has been telling every President this for years. Deal with NeoCons

(http://www.redstate.com/melissaclouthier/2011/02/04/should-libertarians-be-banned-from-cpac/#)

Foreign policy blowback is a variable

In a formula with many variables. It’s a useful idea that conservatives should acknowledge, but not one that should be elevated to being the only relevant factor in insurgency and foreign policy. Ron Paul is rather monomaniacal on the subject, and one of the worst tutors possible for teaching this concept (which, while elemental, is nonetheless important).

erowe1
02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
man look at comments:

I'm used to seeing that kind of tripe there.

To be honest, I'm actually pretty encouraged by the comments I'm seeing on this one so far. The majority of them defend libertarians. And those are winning the day. There are also a good number of anti-neocon comments.

HOLLYWOOD
02-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm used to seeing that kind of tripe there.

To be honest, I'm actually pretty encouraged by the comments I'm seeing on this one so far. The majority of them defend libertarians. And those are winning the day. There are also a good number of anti-neocon comments.

Well yeah, some of us have to stand up for the truth, especially on RS. ;)

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I can see it now...The song "Let Freedom Ring" is playing in the background while this writer is screaming " BAN THE LIBERTARIANS"!

ROFLMAO. +rep for Thread Winning post! :collins:

Freedom 4 all
02-04-2011, 02:11 PM
"We are conservatives who believe in limited government, individual liberty, free markets, a strong national defense and a confident foreign policy. We believe that every individual should be equal under the law."

Great! Ban neocons seeing as they are completely antithetical to the first three.

torchbearer
02-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I think they should ban libertarians from voting republican. that way they can go the way of the whigs.
the tea party can take over after the gop loses every election by about 10%.

Brian4Liberty
02-04-2011, 02:21 PM

It's not a scientific poll though. If I make a poll about the greatest guitar player of all time, who will voluntarily and eagerly participate in that poll? Not the general population...most people will ignore it. Only people who are extremely attached to the subject matter will jump on it.

HarryBrowneLives
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I found this amusing:

"Meanwhile, there are Libertarians of the Ron Paul variety. Last year, they notoriously won the CPAC straw-poll (a function of a bunch of college Ron Paulians being shipped to the conference to stuff the voting)."

I'm sure Mitt Romney never did anything like this. It's unheard of in modern, Presidential, campaigns.:rolleyes:

Cowlesy
02-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I found this amusing:

"Meanwhile, there are Libertarians of the Ron Paul variety. Last year, they notoriously won the CPAC straw-poll (a function of a bunch of college Ron Paulians being shipped to the conference to stuff the voting)."

I'm sure Mitt Romney never did anything like this. It's unheard of in modern, Presidential, campaigns.:rolleyes:

Yes, that's right. Ron Paul shipped his Paulistas via United States Postal Service. Lil Mittens brings in his groups on luxury motorcoaches.

sailingaway
02-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I found this amusing:

When Mitt does it, they approvingly speak of his 'organization'. When Ron has people there, they talk about it being 'rigged'.

Vessol
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
So our military adventurism overseas is fiscally conservative?

Has that seen the bill that we have to pay for that shit?

Brett85
02-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Here's a comment I posted.

Congrats for lasting so long at Red State without being banned. They banned me after my second post simply for opposing the surge in Iraq.

Sola_Fide
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
When Mitt does it, they approvingly speak of his 'organization'. When Ron has people there, they talk about it being 'rigged'.

Haha. They do the same thing that Democrats do when they accuse Tea Party groups as being rigged.

ItsTime
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Libertarians should just have to wear a giant:

L

on their shirts.

Jeremy
02-04-2011, 03:20 PM
It's not a scientific poll though. If I make a poll about the greatest guitar player of all time, who will voluntarily and eagerly participate in that poll? Not the general population...most people will ignore it. Only people who are extremely attached to the subject matter will jump on it.

Huh? :confused:

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Robert Taft wouldn't even recognize the GOP today, and they have the audacity to say they support 'limited' Government? Give me a break. RedState sucks total ass.

William R
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Yep, it's follows the establishment playbook no doubt. They ban people at the drop of a hat. To his credit Erickson did endorse Rand Paul.

William R
02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
You really took a cheap shot at my old CPA partner on this thread.

"Paultarian"?
e_rowe Friday, February 4th at 6:30PM EST (link)

Since Jamesmackey’s hobby horse is obviously mocking social conservatives, I think it stands to reason that he’s not much of a Ron or Rand Paul fan. My guess is he’s more of a Giuliani type.

I read through that entire ridiculous thead and Mackey is 100 percent right about the Social Cons. They are big government nanny staters. Perfect example is the Terri Shiavo incident in 2005 The Christian right got 95 percent of the Republican party to march over the cliff. A woman who had been in a vegetative state since 1990. One Florida court after another looked at it and sided with Terri Schiavo's husband who wanted to take her off life support. Pull the plug. A private family matter that thousand of Americans go through every year. But the Social Cons wanted the Federal Courts, the United States Congress. and George W. Bush to intervene in this very private family matter. That is the epitome of big government nanny statism. When it was all said and done and Terri Shiavo was allowed to go in peace the autopsy showed her brain was mush. No hope for any kind of recovery. On election night in 2006 when the TV talking heads were asking what happened to the GOP the usual answer was the Iraq war. Then one of the more astute analyst (forget his name) said that the Democrats had done very well in traditional suburban districts. He went on to say that the Terri Shiavo case turned off educated suburban voters. The GOP could no longer pretend to be for limited government when they were demanding Washington DC get involved in a private family matter.

I suspect you're young enough to be Mackey's son or possibly his grandson, but he has been involved in Republican libertarian politics for 40yrs. Bottom line, the people that run Redstate are Republican party hacks. Leon H. Wolf, Neil Stevens, and yes even Eric Erickson. They're young kids that grew up with Rush Limbaugh.

Kregisen
02-09-2011, 01:39 AM
If I was registered on Redstate I would simply quote Ronald Reagan: "The heart of conservatism is libertarianism"

There is no difference. You people should ask redstaters what they define conservatism as. I define it as small government that protects the rights of citizens. I define libertarianism as small government that protects the rights of citizens. They are one and the same.

devil21
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Suck on this Redstate:

http://reason.com/archives/1975/07/01/inside-ronald-reagan

REASON: Governor Reagan, you have been quoted in the press as saying that you’re doing a lot of speaking now on behalf of the philosophy of conservatism and libertarianism. Is there a difference between the two?

REAGAN: If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.

Now, I can’t say that I will agree with all the things that the present group who call themselves Libertarians in the sense of a party say, because I think that like in any political movement there are shades, and there are libertarians who are almost over at the point of wanting no government at all or anarchy. I believe there are legitimate government functions. There is a legitimate need in an orderly society for some government to maintain freedom or we will have tyranny by individuals. The strongest man on the block will run the neighborhood. We have government to insure that we don’t each one of us have to carry a club to defend ourselves. But again, I stand on my statement that I think that libertarianism and conservatism are travelling the same path.

erowe1
02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
You really took a cheap shot at my old CPA partner on this thread.

"Paultarian"?
e_rowe Friday, February 4th at 6:30PM EST (link)

Since Jamesmackey’s hobby horse is obviously mocking social conservatives, I think it stands to reason that he’s not much of a Ron or Rand Paul fan. My guess is he’s more of a Giuliani type.

I read through that entire ridiculous thead and Mackey is 100 percent right about the Social Cons. They are big government nanny staters. Perfect example is the Terri Shiavo incident in 2005 The Christian right got 95 percent of the Republican party to march over the cliff. A woman who had been in a vegetative state since 1990. One Florida court after another looked at it and sided with Terri Schiavo's husband who wanted to take her off life support. Pull the plug. A private family matter that thousand of Americans go through every year. But the Social Cons wanted the Federal Courts, the United States Congress. and George W. Bush to intervene in this very private family matter. That is the epitome of big government nanny statism. When it was all said and done and Terri Shiavo was allowed to go in peace the autopsy showed her brain was mush. No hope for any kind of recovery. On election night in 2006 when the TV talking heads were asking what happened to the GOP the usual answer was the Iraq war. Then one of the more astute analyst (forget his name) said that the Democrats had done very well in traditional suburban districts. He went on to say that the Terri Shiavo case turned off educated suburban voters. The GOP could no longer pretend to be for limited government when they were demanding Washington DC get involved in a private family matter.

I suspect you're young enough to be Mackey's son or possibly his grandson, but he has been involved in Republican libertarian politics for 40yrs. Bottom line, the people that run Redstate are Republican party hacks. Leon H. Wolf, Neil Stevens, and yes even Eric Erickson. They're young kids that grew up with Rush Limbaugh.

I guess I don't see how that was a cheap shot.

I don't know him. But nothing he said in that thread indicated that he was a Ron Paul supporter. And it looked like others there were trying to paint him as one because he's not a so-con, which I was just pointing out was illogical since RP is so much of a staunch social conservative, certainly more of one than most Republicans that the Redstaters don't hesitate to support. The biggest obstacle RP has in the GOP isn't the social conservatives, it's the neoconservatives, who are socially liberal. If we want him to win the nomination, we have to build bridges with the most likely allies he has, and social conservatives make up the largest group of his likely allies.

xd9fan
02-09-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm all for banning.......then we can boil this shit down and stop the fakes, RINO's and the hiding. Let the GOP become the neocon party. Libertarians need to stop carrying the water..

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm all for banning.......then we can boil this shit down and stop the fakes, RINO's and the hiding. Let the GOP become the neocon party. Libertarians need to stop carrying the water..

You mean in the Fremen sense of 'carrying the water'? :D:D:D

AuH20
02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Redstate generally isn't that bad. It's night and day to what it used to be. That can be said for Hot Air as well. The tide is gradually changing and that's what there is so much alarmism.