PDA

View Full Version : Arizona House votes unanimously to ban spice

Kregisen
02-04-2011, 10:43 AM
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2011/01/arizona_legislators_working_to.php

My god....if they're trying to get rid of people's freedoms by taking away everything unhealthy, why aren't they touching fast food?

Oh wait, look at the picture of Amanda Reeve. She obviously goes to mickey-d's twice a day atleast.....my god this is ridiculous.

Last Thursday, the Arizona House Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to pass House Bill 2167, which would expand the definition of dangerous drugs to include ten chemicals commonly used in "herbal incense," also known as "spice" and "synthetic marijuana."

This news comes more than a month after the federal Drug Enforcement Administration announced an emergency, nationwide, 12-month ban on five of the chemicals commonly used in spice.

A state ban on the heels of a federal ban might seem superfluous, but as we pointed out in our feature story "High Science" last year, there are hundreds of chemical compounds in existence (and likely more to be created) that purportedly have the same effects in humans as THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

The federal ban includes only five of the most commonly used synthetic compounds in spice: JWH-018, JWH-073, JWH-200, CP-47497, and cannabicyclohexanol. But there are numerous other compounds, including JWH-250 and JWH-081, that are not included in the federal ban. These unbanned compounds are still being used in spice blends, which are still being sold in local head shops.

Arizona State Representative Amanda Reeve (R), who introduced House Bill 2167, has not responded to our interview requests yet, but we're going to go out on a limb and say that legislators are trying to pass HB 2167 to ban some of the chemical compounds not accounted for in the federal ban. We'll post an update if and when Reeve gets back to us.

House Bill 2167 will require affirmative votes from three-quarters of the members in each house before it heads to Governor Jan Brewer for a signature. If and when Brewer signs the bill, it would take effect immediately.

Many states seem to banning this right now. Just as I thought we were about to turn the corner on marijuana.........

sevin
02-04-2011, 01:08 PM
It's not even as good as marijuana but apparently anything that makes you feel slightly good (other than alcohol and sex) has to be banned in this country.

Stary Hickory
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Well AZ what a lame way to use legislative time....and it was Unanimous, LAME

BamaAla
02-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Bath salts are next.

HOLLYWOOD
02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
It's all political window dressing talking points for the next election season.

I did this...
I did that...

I protected you from...
I passed...

Dumbass voters will buy the same old garbage next election, and the election after that, and so on...

torchbearer
02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
might as well build a few more prison systems... for you and me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yndfqN1VKhY

Anti Federalist
02-04-2011, 01:40 PM
They hate us for our freedom.

torchbearer
02-04-2011, 01:43 PM
They hate us for our freedom.

still you won't see people rebelling against the tyranny.

Kregisen
02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I'll try to find a list of everyone in the Arizona House Judiciary Committee, and I'll see if I can set up an interview with one of them or something. I would love to get them trapped in a logical paradox of banning some unhealthy things and keeping others legal....or if people own their bodies, how the government has the right to regulate their bodies.

heavenlyboy34
02-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Yep. This state (AZ) is going down the tubes. :( Not sure why, though. Probably a lot of transplants from back east and California. First the Tempe city-wide smoking ban a few years ago, and now this. Just absurd. The Nanny State grows unabated. :(

heavenlyboy34
02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
It's all political window dressing talking points for the next election season.

I did this...
I did that...

I protected you from...
I passed...

Dumbass voters will buy the same old garbage next election, and the election after that, and so on...

Well, when you've only got 2 flavors of tyrants to chose from (Red and Blue), you're rather limited in that regard. Point taken tho.

specsaregood
02-04-2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/05/spice_must_flow.jpg

Kregisen
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep. This state (AZ) is going down the tubes. :( Not sure why, though. Probably a lot of transplants from back east and California. First the Tempe city-wide smoking ban a few years ago, and now this. Just absurd. The Nanny State grows unabated. :(

City-wide smoking ban? I know the ASU tempe campus was trying to get a campus-wide smoking ban, but we fought and won it.

Feeding the Abscess
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
It's not even as good as marijuana but apparently anything that makes you feel slightly good (other than alcohol and sex) has to be banned in this country.

And even many forms of sex are banned in various parts of the country.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
And even many forms of sex are banned in various parts of the country.

Not since 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States

Feeding the Abscess
02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Not since 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States

This is one of those rare times where I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

specsaregood
02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
This is one of those rare times where I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

But is this decision the proper role for the Supreme court? Local governments shouldn't be able to decide these things?

Also, should we now make June 26th national buttsex day?

heavenlyboy34
02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
City-wide smoking ban? I know the ASU tempe campus was trying to get a campus-wide smoking ban, but we fought and won it.

It was last I heard (about 4 years ago). It could have been lifted by now, tho. I remember bar owners were pretty pissed about it back then. I don't keep up with Tempe news well, since I live in Phoenix.

Kregisen
02-05-2011, 02:47 AM
It was last I heard (about 4 years ago). It could have been lifted by now, tho. I remember bar owners were pretty pissed about it back then. I don't keep up with Tempe news well, since I live in Phoenix.

I don't live in tempe either (I'm in chandler) but there are definitely smokers at ASU so there's definitely no city-wide smoking ban.

juvanya
02-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Did something like this pop into anyone elses head?

http://www.gamecrashers.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dune-cat2.jpg

muzzled dogg
02-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Legalize it

Sola_Fide
02-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Did something like this pop into anyone elses head?

http://www.gamecrashers.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dune-cat2.jpg

Haha! That was my first thought. Spice Melange and Shai Hulud.

dannno
02-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Wow, that sucks to hear..

Little known fact: My first time toking the ganja was in Tempe

Kregisen
02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Guess who got a response from miss Amanda Reeve (the 300-pound lady who sponsored it) on setting up an interview?

:)