PDA

View Full Version : We should as private citizens draft a suggested constitution for Egypt. For fun!

BarryDonegan
02-04-2011, 01:20 AM
and to at least provide an option for them,

For Liberty.

We could wiki it together using some kind of collaborative text editor. Maybe a huge Google documents chain among people who know how to write that type of language?

Could be a fun idea.

tangent4ronpaul
02-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Why not just let them use ours - we aren't using it.

Actually, ours does need to be updated to close the "loopholes" Congress uses to grab power and rights. Good idea!

-t

Pauls' Revere
02-04-2011, 01:52 AM

For Liberty.

We could wiki it together using some kind of collaborative text editor. Maybe a huge Google documents chain among people who know how to write that type of language?

Could be a fun idea.

Great idea but I would rather that the Egyptian people draft thier own with thier right to self determination. I wouldnt even know where to begin to govern peoples of Arab beliefs etc...

sratiug
02-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Our Constitution was easier because we already had state governments. Does Egypt have provinces or states or anything similar? I'm guessing not in the last century or so, anyway.

ibaghdadi
02-04-2011, 01:58 AM

For Liberty.

Could be a fun idea.

There's a credibility/trust gap that must be filled before anything like that can be accepted by Egyptians. After a 30-year US-sponsored tyranny, I don't think many Egyptians will be welcoming of the idea of Americans telling them what their consitution should be like.

Of course I understand that you're suggesting private individuals do it, in the name of liberty, and I also understand that there's a chasm of difference between the US people and the US government. But tell that to the average Egyptian in Tahrir Square right now.

US interventionism weakens any US call for liberty anywhere in the world, no matter how sincere and urgent it is.

BarryDonegan
02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Even if they didn't use it, it still wouldn't remove the FUN FACTOR!

oyarde
02-04-2011, 07:24 PM
There's a credibility/trust gap that must be filled before anything like that can be accepted by Egyptians. After a 30-year US-sponsored tyranny, I don't think many Egyptians will be welcoming of the idea of Americans telling them what their consitution should be like.

Of course I understand that you're suggesting private individuals do it, in the name of liberty, and I also understand that there's a chasm of difference between the US people and the US government. But tell that to the average Egyptian in Tahrir Square right now.

US interventionism weakens any US call for liberty anywhere in the world, no matter how sincere and urgent it is.

Maybe have someone you know there look at others. Honduras or something ...