PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Rep. plans National-level Version of Ariz. Immigration law

bobbyw24
02-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Rep. Ed Royce, California Republican, is planning to introduce a national-level version of contentious Arizona state Senate Bill 1070, The Daily Caller has learned. Royce, who chairs the Foreign Affairs Committee’s Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade subcommittee, told TheDC his legislation would give state-level cops and local law enforcement nationwide the authority to enforce federal immigration laws.

Royce is planning to introduce the new legislation soon and said, in addition to giving state and local law enforcement more authority, it “establishes operational control of the border” by sending more fencing to the border and keeping the secretaries of Interior and Agriculture from over-regulating how Border Patrol officials put together fences and work on federal lands.

“All the Border Patrol agents are swearing by it [building a fence and keeping the regulatory powers of the secretaries of Interior and Agriculture at a minimum],” Royce said. “So, that’s part of establishing operational control.”

http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/03/rep-royce-plans-to-push-national-level-version-of-contentious-arizona-immigration-law/

sailingaway
02-03-2011, 06:36 AM
We have to look at this. It could easily cross the line into police state. I'm not sure what it's provisions are. Sure sounds like a good vehicle to get Real ID through, though, doesn't it? (I mean, I'm concerned about that, not that I'm rooting for that.) State enforcement of immigration law when states bear the financial burden and burden on their social services only makes sense, though.

In any event, we know it isn't going anywhere because Obama will veto it.

squarepusher
02-03-2011, 06:37 AM
this will fail badly

RonPaulFanInGA
02-03-2011, 06:40 AM
At least in Georgia HB-87, which is a copycat of Arizona's recently-passed immigration law, is looking like a done deal.

bobbyw24
02-03-2011, 06:45 AM
And N.M. Gov. Signed a race neutral executive order on this issue

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Incredibly bad idea in so many ways. Sorry, but I refuse to applaud feeding the Prison-Security-Industrial Complex any more. Empowering cops like this means they will be doing what the fucking TSA does and beating the shit out of people who refuse to comply.

bobbyw24
02-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Back in Tampa? Maybe you don't need to worry about this proposed federal bill.

How about Fla. gov wants Arizona-like immigration law, but House leaning to Arizona-light

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/fla-gov-wants-arizona-like-immigration-law-but-1214900.html

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Back in Tampa? Maybe you don't need to worry about this proposed federal bill.

How about Fla. gov wants Arizona-like immigration law, but House leaning to Arizona-light

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/fla-gov-wants-arizona-like-immigration-law-but-1214900.html

Among the myriad of reasons why Im planning on moving to New Hampshire. Florida is a lost cause: its a Statist hell-hole.