PDA

View Full Version : Use of campaign money---has to be cleared up Immed.

Dave Wood
10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/29100

Went to his daughter Lorrie P. $137k

American
10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
I agree, you should be banned IMO. pronto

steph3n
10-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Do they also report that he doesn't use all his budget? nope....

BTW I met his grand daughter who is working for the campaign, and she was a very good spokesperson.

Family is critical, so long as they are working, what is wrong with paying them?

Larofeticus
10-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Not mentioned in the article is the duration over which that money was spent.

Dave Wood
10-22-2007, 03:45 PM

And who are you?:p

purepaloma
10-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Duration? - SEVERAL YEARS I believe.

LOL

DaronWestbrooke
10-22-2007, 03:46 PM

I disagree, we need to address these and come up with responses before they are used against us.

mavtek
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
You do realize that's over a 5 year period? That's less than $30,000 a year.

LibertyEagle
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM

She's the accountant. Big, frickin' deal. We've been through this before. Heck, I'd have my family working for my campaign too. At least I'd know I could trust them.

me3
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
It's preposterous to make these sort of accusations without any additional proof or disclosure. It's also reckless. Bring us something tangible to prove she didn't EARN the wage, and then we can talk about it's validity and morality.

allyinoh
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Over 6 years I believe... 22,835/year... I make more at a call center. She was actually working.

This was talked about months ago when it was brought up before. If it was 137k in one shot I could understand, but it was over 6 years.

Nowadays that much money per year is almost poverty level.

r3volution
10-22-2007, 03:50 PM

she is getting ripped off ! i wanna donate $ now to get her a raise ..

Roxi
10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
OK first of all this is a tiny article in a no name group that no one is going to be paying attention to UNLESS you launch a we must do something about this fight

IF YOU DON"T PAY ATTENTION TO THIS NO ONE ELSE WILL EITHER

second, Lory pyatte does work for the campaign, and has worked for his congressional campaigns as well, if you would like a rundown on what she does i suggest you email her because i assure you the list is too damn long for me to post here. her husband mark also does a lot helping out as well.

ALL of rons kids and grandkids help out in their own way and if he chooses to help compensate them for that then thats his perogative

LibertyEagle
10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
she is getting ripped off ! i wanna donate $ now to get her a raise ..

:D

Dave Wood
10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
She's the accountant. Big, frickin' deal. We've been through this before. Heck, I'd have my family working for my campaign too. At least I'd know I could trust them.

RELAX. " RP blows other peoples money" was the title to the article!

The forums are really bad lately. Dont know what is going on but it needs to change.

kylejack
10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
This is normal. Mitt is currently paying his sons to campaign for him.

JoshLowry
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I disagree, we need to address these and come up with responses before they are used against us.

I believe he was using sarcasm.

As for the money: Her name is Lori Paul Pyeatt.

Dr. Paul's campaign committee and his leadership PAC paid his daughter, who was the PAC treasurer, a total of $167, 683 over three campaigns.

Hardly excessive. Campaigns pay family members for work all the time.

Nash
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM

This is old news and it was addressed months ago. He paid her on average 27k a year for the work over 5 years? Hardly a lot of money to pay a college graduate.

aksmith
10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
This is normal. Mitt is currently paying his sons to campaign for him.

Exactly. I saw one of Romney's sons in action this weekend. I call them the Mitt-bots.

This whole thing with Ron having a relative on the staff is very old news. And people have rightly pointed out that the work was done over 5 years at least. That makes this a non issue. And it's always been a non issue.

JaylieWoW
10-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Ok, so there's your first counter... less than 30K per year. If anything Ron Paul should be ashamed at taking advantage of his poor daughter that way!

Over 6 years I believe... 22,835/year... I make more at a call center. She was actually working.

This was talked about months ago when it was brought up before. If it was 137k in one shot I could understand, but it was over 6 years.

Nowadays that much money per year is almost poverty level.

No doubt about it, the way the dollar is falling it IS poverty level. Hell, I could hardly afford to support myself on that wage 7 years ago.

Secondly, and often people don't take kindly to the "walk in other shoes first" tactic, but think about it reasonably. Politics is a tough and dirty game. If YOU were running for office, wouldn't you be more likely to utilize people you know and trust over hiring someone unknown? Why is that so wrong or so difficult to understand?

Thirdly, if you want to use a more "shameful" tactic (if you perceive the situation requires it), tell them you think its a cop-out to base such an important decision on something so trivial. Don't they think for themselves or would they rather be told what is right and what is wrong or what to think/not to think. What, can't operate a calculator? Perform simple division much?

Yeah, I know that's a little extreme, but dammit, maybe it is time to make folks a little mad about not thinking for themselves.

I suppose they just can't believe that someone who is honest is also a public servant. I'm sure it is hard enough for Americans to believe at this point in time, but that still does not excuse buying into such a lame and trivial cop-out.

tnvoter
10-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Well said.

Only an idiot in the news media of the professional world would report on this for this exact reason.

beerista
10-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Hell, look at what happens when he doesn't employ relatives. He gets ill-advised newsletters and Eric Dondero.
Yup, he's welcome to spend my campaign contribution to avoid that.

Johncjackson
10-22-2007, 04:27 PM
1. This is really old news
2. It was donated, not tax payer money. And people keep donating, so they don't mind. It's not like taxpayers paying for something with no choice.
3. Over several years and the salaries paid to family members aren't exactly big- not even enough to cover an entry level job, really.

foofighter20x
10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Hell, look at what happens when he doesn't employ relatives. He gets ill-advised newsletters and Eric Dondero.
Yup, he's welcome to spend my campaign contribution to avoid that.

LOL!!

bmcosti
10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I heard about this previously and it was a case of she was working over a course of 5 or more years for Ron Paul, it was campaign money not taxpayer money. Does anyone else remember this story from a long time ago?

inibo
10-22-2007, 05:10 PM

Sigh, more old news.

Bradley in DC
10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Lori runs the Lake Jackson office and incurs a great deal of expenses for which she is reimbursed. The reporting does not differentiate her salary from those reimbursements. Are we going to have this same discussion every quarter?

Johncjackson
10-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Next thing you know someone will bring up that old newsletter as "breaking news"