PDA

View Full Version : Genetic engineering?

RileyE104
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm doing a paper and it occured to me that I have no real idea about a libertarian perspective on GMOs, other than my own.

What I really want to know is what are your opinions on laws being made to keep companies, etc. from releasing (what I see as fake) modified organisms into the environment?

Elwar
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Same as pollution.

If it harms someone else, they should be able to track it to the source and get compensation.

RileyE104
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Same as pollution.

If it harms someone else, they should be able to track it to the source and get compensation.

thanks! i was right on that line in my brain in comparing it to pollution but the word just wouldn't come to me. lol

RyanRSheets
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I think labeling is the most important consideration: a vendor shouldn't be allowed to sell a tomato with fish genes as an all natural tomato, because they've made an obvious effort to change the nature of the tomato. That said, agriculture is an evolving technology, and our definition of natural will probably slide along with it. You have to handle it on an individual basis. If it is harming people, the vendor is obligated to let people know.