PDA

View Full Version : Parking is $32/day @ Omni and Marriot

Matt Collins
02-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Just FYI for those who are driving in, there is a parking fee of $32/day at either the Omni and Marriot hotels where CPAC will be. This of course assumes that there will be any available spaces.

If there aren't the next closest parking is at a town nearby called Adam's Morgan on the other side of the bridge. There are some private parking places there although I don't know how much it is to park there. It is however a 5-10 minute walk from those locations to the hotel.

erowe1
02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Depending on what your sleeping arrangements are, the cheapest and least traffic-jam prone option could be to park at one of the metro stations outside the city and take the metro in.

Thomas
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Depending on what your sleeping arrangements are, the cheapest and least traffic-jam prone option could be to park at one of the metro stations outside the city and take the metro in.

Is metro parking free? What's the metro cost?

MRoCkEd
02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Don't park at the hotel. Do what erowe says or search for other options: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=cheap+parking&find_loc=Washington%2C+DC

erowe1
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Is metro parking free? What's the metro cost?

No, it's not free on weekdays. But it's a lot cheaper than parking downtown.

I've been away from that area for too long to remember the prices. But I think you can find what you want to know here:
http://www.wmata.com/

Elwar
02-03-2011, 07:10 AM
I'll be coming in from the Baltimore airport at around 9AM, should I take a cab to the metro or rent a car? Or is there an easier way?

amy31416
02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I'll be coming in from the Baltimore airport at around 9AM, should I take a cab to the metro or rent a car? Or is there an easier way?

Don't rent a car!

http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/ground-transportation/trans/wmata

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority

Metro now offers BWI Express Metro bus service between BWI and the Greenbelt metro station. The service provides a direct connection between BWI and the Greenbelt Metro Station. The BWI Express/B30 service runs every 40 minutes, 7 days a week to the Greenbelt Metro Station, which is located on the Green Line of the Washington Metro System. Buses run 25 times each weekday and 21 times on Saturdays and Sunday, every 40 minutes. For more information call 202-637-7000 or go to www.wmata.com.

Catch the BWI Express from BWI Marshall Airport. There are two WMATA Bus Stops. One is located on the lower level of the International Concourse and the other stop is located on the lower level of Concourse A/B. The B30 will pick you up outside at the bus shelter. Follow the signs that say "Public Transit."

The Greenbelt Metro Station connects to Metro Stations throughout Washington, DC, Virginia, Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties. A route map and schedule is available now on Metro's website, www.wmata.com.

Public transportation is pretty good in that area, much easier than navigating around DC in a car when you aren't familiar with it. (Even folks I know who spent years in DC didn't like to drive into the city.)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Most folks will be much better off using the metro than trying to park anywhere in the city. I forget what the parking garages at the metro stations charge but it was not as much as the hotels are charging and driving in D.C. is a nightmare that you just never seem to wake up from.

erowe1
02-03-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm not sure what the best option is. But my guess is that you can probably take some kind of shuttle or bus from BWI all the way to the OMNI, or somewhere else downtown.

If that's not true then there's an Amtrak station near BWI that has trains that go right to Union station in downtown DC where you can get on a Metro to anywhere else (I can't remember where Omni is in relation to that). I'm certain that you would be able to take some kind of cheap or free transportation from BWI to that Amtrak station, and maybe even walk (although I don't think there's a good way to walk between the two).

There should be no need to take a cab at any point.

My first advice would be to check around this website and see if they have something that goes straight from BWI to downtown DC. I bet they do.
http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/

Edit: I just read Amy's post. That option of the bus to Greenbelt station looks good, I'm sure it's better than Amtrak.

olehounddog
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Anybody else staying at Motel6 on Ga. Ave?

MelissaCato
02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
We were gonna stay @ the motel 6 but decided not too because of those bed bugs comments. I can't be sleeping with bugs and bring em' home.. forget that. I still don't know where we're staying. Does anyone know the address for the GPS for the Redline Station Parking ? The one closest to PA ? LOL something tells me once we get on the metro system we'll never get off kinda thing. Sounds complicated.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
We were gonna stay @ the motel 6 but decided not too because of those bed bugs comments. I can't be sleeping with bugs and bring em' home.. forget that. I still don't know where we're staying. Does anyone know the address for the GPS for the Redline Station Parking ? The one closest to PA ? LOL something tells me once we get on the metro system we'll never get off kinda thing. Sounds complicated.

It's really not all that bad. Find your way to the New Carrollton Station (can get to it from the Beltway and from Route 50). Get on there (it is the Orange line) and get off at the Metro Center which is where you will catch the red line to the Woodley Park/Zoo station. From there you are well within walking distance of the hotel. It will cost you about $3.00 each way and take about 20 -25 minutes each way.

MelissaWV
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Um no, don't rent a car (weren't you one of the ones with a ChipIn, Elwar? :eek:). Shuttle in like Amy pointed out, or if you're meeting people who're arriving via another airport be advised that BWI has shuttles that go to Reagan, etc., too.

I have no idea why you would park at the Omni at that price. Most people will not need their cars, though I know some are carpooling in. Hell at that point you are better off leaving your vehicle at one of the locals' houses and taking the Metro in. Many hotels (vs. motels) have shuttles as well. Be prepared to walk and don't be so scared of the Metro. The buses are worse than the Metro, and even then they're suitable to getting around.

olehounddog
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
just checked and the Metro station is 1200 yds away from motel6.