PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfeld Walk-Out Poll

thasre
02-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I see there's a lot of discussion about whether or not to walk out on Rumsfeld at CPAC. I thought a poll would be an appropriate way to gauge the level of support for different options, so that at least most Ron Paul supporters can behave in a consistent way that clearly indicates their goal in staging a walk-out (or not).

The options:

1. I think Ron Paul's supporter's should sit quietly through Rumsfeld's speech or be sure to avoid it altogether. It isn't the forum for politicizing the award given to Rumsfeld: that should be done by talking and debating directly with others at CPAC in an informal setting. We don't want Ron Paul supporters to be seen as troublemakers who don't get along with the Party.

2. I think Ron Paul's supporters should show up and remain seated in an orderly fashion just prior to the speech, and stage a quiet and respectful walk-out just before the speech begins. It will make it clear that there is a large faction of conservatives who take issue with the brand of "conservatism" that Rumsfeld represents, but even though we want our perspective to be heard and understood, we also want to make it clear that we recognize the "big tent" nature of the event, and we respect the right of others to sit through Rumsfeld's speech undisturbed.

3. I think Ron Paul's supporters should not be bullied into remaining silent when a man responsible for grave injustices against the Constitution should be recognized as an "upholder" of constitutional principles. In order to show that we believe Rumsfeld is utterly undeserving of this recognition, we should boo, or stand and turn our backs, or in some other way make it clear that we will not be cowed into submission out of political correctness. Americans need to be confronted with the truth, abrasively if necessary, or we'll never see the change we need!

MRoCkEd
02-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Definitely not three.

Kludge
02-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Regarding a walkout:

As a neocon, I would ignore it and lower my opinion of libertarians and CPAC as immature and unreliable.
As a libertarian, I would shrug and ignore it.
As a liberal, I wouldn't be paying attention to news about CPAC, anyway.

Practically, I don't see any benefit in a walk-out, but you guys should do what you feel is right. You shouldn't submit to what we want just because it's practical. You're all actors and we'll immediately distance ourselves from you if someone brings it up. And when we do that, it's very likely the person we're talking to will become especially open to what we're saying.

There also should be a "do not attend" option. Edit: nm - is in option 1 now that poll is up.

thasre
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
There also should be a "do not attend" option.

I just included that with listening respectfully, since the point is to avoid creating a scene. I'm not going to CPAC, so I don't particularly care what people decide. I just thought it would be easier for those debating it to have something tangible to resort to for discussion.

Tally what people think, and then if there's clear support for one option over another, do that.

ronpaulhawaii
02-01-2011, 11:09 PM
This is turning out to be a colossal waste of time. The neo-con lurkers (our enemies) must be stoked.

dntrpltt
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Dang it, I clicked the wrong option >.<
I meant to click the first...it will be interesting to hear Rumsfeld's speech, and its not like you are obligated to cheer for him if you attend.

TheTyke
02-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Ticking voters off is the absolute best way of winning an election. Kudos to whoever came up with this idea.

speciallyblend
02-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Ticking voters off is the absolute best way of winning an election. Kudos to whoever came up with this idea.

the gop has bigger problems , a peaceful walkout before speech is just fine. if the gop loves obama so much they can continue as usual!! the gop are the ones that elected him!! if your worrying about offending someone? i would say the gop can be offensive! people are dying because of gop undeclared wars. we could use neo-con solutions on the neo-cons??:) so i would think getting up before speech is tame compared to flying drones;)

TheTyke
02-02-2011, 12:54 AM
the gop has bigger problems , a peaceful walkout before speech is just fine. if the gop loves obama so much they can continue as usual!! the gop are the ones that elected him!! if your worrying about offending someone? i would say the gop can be offensive! people are dying because of gop undeclared wars. we could use neo-con solutions on the neo-cons??:) so i would think getting up before speech is tame compared to flying drones;)

I don't have a problem with people leaving when the speech they went to hear is over. But overtly disrupting or walking out during his speech just seems counterproductive.

speciallyblend
02-02-2011, 01:01 AM
I don't have a problem with people leaving when the speech they went to hear is over. But overtly disrupting or walking out during his speech just seems counterproductive.

i totally agree there!!!

nauru
02-02-2011, 01:03 AM
What about just turning around. Standing there, showing him your back. lol Not particularly disruptive, but clearly disrespectful.

teacherone
02-02-2011, 01:09 AM
if you're going to do it then you better have some amazing pre-scripted material to deliver to the media.

this will definitely grab their attention and may even turn into a BIG story.

if you play your cards right and voice true concerns about Rumsfeld's violation of the constitution while simultaneously plugging the good doctor this could possible be a game changer.

MRK
02-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm planning on leaving as soon as someone says something to the effect of "Up next is Donald Rumsfeld..." I'm not going to wait until he's at the podium, just going to leave as soon as I know he's about to come on.

RforRevolution
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Depends on the demographics of the audience. If it's mostly Ron Paul types, than strong disagreement may be in order and coverage may come of it. If it's mainly neo-con types, listen quietly and attentively than talk about it to the neo-con next to you to persuade him to vote Ron Paul. As they say, "know your audience."

angelatc
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
This is turning out to be a colossal waste of time. The neo-con lurkers (our enemies) must be stoked.

It makes sense. Somebody who wanted to sabotage the revolution certainly wouldn't put this in Hot Topics.

angelatc
02-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Depends on the demographics of the audience. If it's mostly Ron Paul types, than strong disagreement may be in order and coverage may come of it. If it's mainly neo-con types, listen quietly and attentively than talk about it to the neo-con next to you to persuade him to vote Ron Paul. As they say, "know your audience."

Fox News is counting you to give them footage they can distort!

Acala
02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Suppose they were giving an award to Hitler or Stalin or Jack the Ripper? Would you stay and listen respectfully? Just to give the impression that you "play well with others?"

Rumsfeld stands for everything that is wrong in this country. He stands for torture, rape, and murder of the innocent. Rumsfeld and all his neocon cronies do not need to be coddled. They need to be rejected at every opportunity. They need to be called out.

Refusing to confront evil is how evil insinuates itself into the body.

I say that a non-disruptive walk out before the speech is mild compared to what is really justified in the face of the evil that man embodies.

And if the result is that the neocons are able to turn the GOP against liberty once again, then the GOP was doomed anyway.

specsaregood
02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Suppose they were giving an award to Hitler or Stalin or Jack the Ripper? Would you stay and listen respectfully? Just to give the impression that you "play well with others?"

Yeah, cuz how many people are suggesting you stay an listen respectfully? No, the suggestion is that you leave before the event immediately after Rand's speech.
But hey, if you want to give your enemies the ammunition they are hoping for, by all means make a scene just wear a mitt romney 2012 shirt while you are doing it and don't take advantage of C4L's reduced price tickets either.

georgiaboy
02-02-2011, 09:42 AM
There's a time and place for everything. CPAC isn't the place this year for poor form. It's already being set up as a convention that's being taken over by outsiders, non-conservatives. Some groups and highly respected individuals have publicly decided not to attend this year. An RP victory at the straw poll will possibly be marginalized, and recorded 'kooky' behavior will provide evidence to this effect. How about we try out-classing folks this time?

Take some notes from Ron & Rand. They are polite but principled in mixed company. Ron did not attend the state of the union, and he did not stage a walkout; Rand attended, and clapped when in agreement. Both are consummate gentlemen, even to their worst detractors.

We have the high ground with our political principles, let's do the same with our comportment. Our movement has made huge strides these last couple of years; we're a force to be reckoned with, and we have the establishment's attention. Let's use our time in the spotlight to show that freedom necessarily requires individual responsibility and restraint and we have it. After all, the point is to engage and persuade folks & leadership to embrace real conservativism, not scare them off.

If I remember correctly, folks at these events prefer clapping/cheering when you agree, silence when you disagree. A filled and loudly supportive room for Rand which becomes the same filled but silent room, or a much less-filled room, for Mr. Rumsfeld sends quite a message.

Also, pin wearing is hip - maybe yellow ribbons?

RyanRSheets
02-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I liked the idea of mass attendance, zero cheering, no booing more. Flood that damn auditorium and let the crickets roar.

Ninja Homer
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
If you really feel the need to be an ass, disrespect and disrupt CPAC, and piss on CPAC's selection, at least have the brains to wear some Romney schwag while doing it. Do you really want to be viewed as the Code Pink of the GOP? Antics like this didn't help any last time around, and this time Ron Paul will be a frontrunner so we don't need to resort to those tactics just to get a little media attention.

Rumsfeld really sucks, and I understand the urge to protest against him, but this isn't the time or place. Ron Paul has to win the GOP primary first, so don't even consider what the left might think of a Rumsfeld protest. Many 2008 neocons have been moving closer and closer to Ron Paul's ideology, but disrespect them, and they'll hold a grudge straight through the RNC.

erowe1
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Why does option #1 combine two totally opposite things?

My vote is avoid it. If you're going to walk out, then walk out before he takes the stage. Don't wait until he's speaking and do anything that will interfere with those in the audience who want to listen to him.

georgiaboy
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
If you really feel the need to be an ass, disrespect and disrupt CPAC, and piss on CPAC's selection, at least have the brains to wear some Romney schwag while doing it. Do you really want to be viewed as the Code Pink of the GOP? Antics like this didn't help any last time around, and this time Ron Paul will be a frontrunner so we don't need to resort to those tactics just to get a little media attention.

Rumsfeld really sucks, and I understand the urge to protest against him, but this isn't the time or place. Ron Paul has to win the GOP primary first, so don't even consider what the left might think of a Rumsfeld protest. Many 2008 neocons have been moving closer and closer to Ron Paul's ideology, but disrespect them, and they'll hold a grudge straight through the RNC.

+rep

libertybrewcity
02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
undecided. i wouldn't disrupt anything though.

Acala
02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, cuz how many people are suggesting you stay an listen respectfully?

You mean other than option number one in the poll that started this thread? Try to keep up.:rolleyes:

Jeremy
02-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Should have made this a public poll so we could see who voted for #3 and try to prevent them from attending CPAC. Ron Paul said don't do this.

specsaregood
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
You mean other than option number one in the poll that started this thread? Try to keep up.:rolleyes:

You mean the one that has 2 completely opposite actions in the same option?
If you broke it down, I'd venture that "avoid it altogether. " would get 99% to 100% of those votes. Do try to think about it.

hazek
02-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Even though I think it's a bad idea I voted for "3. Disrupt the event to make our protest clear!" because at some point we have to stand up and protest to the charade that's going on.

My vote probably doesn't count anyway since I won't be attending.

thehighwaymanq
02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm just not going to sit through it. No need to start anything, just leave the room.

Agorism
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I voted for disrupt the event.

Inflation
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I liked the idea of mass attendance, zero cheering, no booing more. Flood that damn auditorium and let the crickets roar.

This is a great compromise between the three, and gets most of all their advantages while avoiding disadvantages.

*makes another poll including the 'stony silence with arms crossed' option.*

hazek
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Actually that's are really really good idea: 'stony silence with arms crossed'

Just sit there and be silent when he receives the reward with minimum applause :D

RyanRSheets
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Actually that's are really really good idea: 'stony silence with arms crossed'

Just sit there and be silent when he receives the reward with minimum applause :D

If we could pull off being the majority, it would be really funny for everyone to turn and stare at anyone who clapped. Maybe that would be offensive, though.

hazek
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Maybe that would be offensive, though.

So? I find it super offensive that he is receiving that reward.

RyanRSheets
02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
So? I find it super offensive that he is receiving that reward.

I'd like to see him thrown in a cell. I know it is completely wrong. However, I have to question what is conducive to my goal. In order for me to see the change I want, I have to convert his supporters; we're not going to win anyone over if they think they're being disrespected.

jtstellar
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
whatever the option just be sure it does not reinforce the supporter stereotype of rp's rowdy teenagers

HOLLYWOOD
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm putting my vote on Code PinkZ! They'll show up and creates a huge scene, enjoy the fireworks.

Rubio and others are distancing themselves from this mess.

libertybrewcity
02-02-2011, 02:05 PM
could give us a bad name among activists and news outlets if they pick it up.

BuddyRey
02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I love this idea. Please don't forget to YouTube it!

PreDeadMan
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Disrupt the asshole it's the least people can do........ i mean how many dead people are these lunatics responsible for and people are biting their nails over peaceful resistance?

vita3
02-02-2011, 04:51 PM
i hate cowards

Matt Collins
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/SnrWPP5gkRI/AAAAAAAAZI0/CZBa8HjR26Y/s400/DonaldRumsfeldClown.jpg
http://www.ijtihad.org/rumsfeld.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E8BpJEni77I/SU-9gN4lKMI/AAAAAAAAHVU/Emvonba5A1o/s400/rumsfeld.jpg
http://newsphile.com/rumsfeld.jpg
http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0105/010305rumsfelddonald.jpg

muzzled dogg
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM
ill have to see whats going on at that same time

muzzled dogg
02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
oh dude we're already gonna be there for rand, might as well stick around and do it

Zack
02-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Fortunately, I suspect the majority of the people on these boards don't wish to draw attention to any kind of orginized walkout. I'm sure option #2 will continue to have the most votes, since I almost reflexively picked it myself, because people will take it to mean something like "I'm leaving at some point between when Rand Speaks and when Rumy speaks because his speech doesn't interest me". I was 0.3 seconds from pushing #2 before I stopped myself and read the "stage a quiet and respectful walk-out" language. Looks like poster #6 actually corrected himself for making the same mistake after he already pressed it.

So the moral of this story is, I think, that people looking at the poll results and getting nervous that we will make CPAC about Rummy instead of about Ron Paul probably need not worry. I think a lot of the people picking #2 are thinking "walk out", not "Walkout" (respectful or otherwise).