PDA

View Full Version : Why so llittle terrorism in the US?

BlackTerrel
02-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Relative to many other countries? In general we have most of the characteristics you would expect of a target of terror

1. We are a large, diverse country both ethnically and geographically
2. Freedom of movement
3. Relatively easy access to arms and weapons
4. Strongly interventionist foreign country.

After 9/11 I fully expected to see a lot worse stuff - that has not happened. We are #33 on the list of countries with the most terrorist attacks. Somalia is #1, Russia #10, India #12, Israel #14, Greece #24. Most these countries are smaller, harder to move around, less access to arms and less interventionist than we are.

I got in an argument with a friend/colleague after the most recent terror attack in Russia. He says the reason is the systems put in place by the Bush adminstration etc. have been effective.

Edit: had to grab from a number of different sources because could not find full list online. Here is the top 10 http://www.riskmanagementmonitor.com/terrorist-attacks-the-countries-most-at-risk/

kah13176
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Perhaps people confuse terrorism with murder. If someone simply sets off a bomb, it's not terrorism.

Terrorism: "the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or ideological in nature"

Many times, people are just psychotic or pissed off. Government has warped the definition of terrorism to inspire fear.

Kludge
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
TV, jobs (relatively), freedom, Internet, almost everyone lives with excessive excess.

People are too busy enjoying life to feel bitter enough to be terrorists. Blowback theory applies domestically, too.

sofia
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
no terror since 9/11 because the goal of the terror (tricking us into these wars) was accomplished succesfully.

when the need arises for another false flag event....trust me....you'll have another event in America.....courtesy of CIA/Mossad

Pericles
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
One of the goals of terrorism is to intimidate the population - and it it is hard to intimidate a population that is better armed than many 3rd world armies.

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 10:58 PM
dunno, i feel that agents of our government participate in acts of terrorism in the US every single day.

heavenlyboy34
02-01-2011, 10:58 PM
edit: n/m

tangent4ronpaul
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Perhaps people confuse terrorism with murder. If someone simply sets off a bomb, it's not terrorism.

Terrorism: "the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or ideological in nature"

Many times, people are just psychotic or pissed off. Government has warped the definition of terrorism to inspire fear.

Oh - you must mean SEIU! - Funny how they never make any of the gvmt's lists...

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
BECAUSE DHS DOES SUCH A GREAT JOB AT KEEPING US SAFE!

http://www.advancedscreenprinting.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Fleece.jpg

btw: I was looking for a pic of Liebermans head photoshopped to a cheerleaders body mid-cheer. Didn't find one. Anyone with photoshop skills want to make one?

-t

heavenlyboy34
02-01-2011, 11:22 PM

http://www.advancedscreenprinting.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Fleece.jpg

btw: I was looking for a pic of Liebermans head photoshopped to a cheerleaders body mid-cheer. Didn't find one. Anyone with photoshop skills want to make one?

-t
Can do. PM me a reminder, plz.

tangent4ronpaul
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM

Thanks!

+rep

-t

Freedom 4 all
02-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Kind of off topic I suppose, but funny. I literally can't think of a single thing cops do that falls outside that definition. Even writing tickets is a form of terrorism. In an effort to achieve the POLITICAL GOAL of enforcing speed limits, they calculatedly use THREATS OF VIOLENCE/ACTUAL VIOLENCE to force people to pay a certain sum of money. This money goes towards achieving more POLITICAL GOALS. Therefore, cops = terrorists. To be clear, I'm not a full on anarchist and I'm not claiming that police action is necessarily always morally wrong, but it IS ALWAYS necessarily a form of terrorism by that definition. To this date I've been called a lot of things (ex anarchist, retard, immature) for pointing this out, but to this day I have not heard an even remotely logical rebuttal.

Liberty_Mike
02-01-2011, 11:35 PM
The low rate of attacks in the US are due to the Patriot Act and War in Iraq keeping the terrorits out of the US, duh!

BlackTerrel
02-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Perhaps because phony terror alerts and shoddy attempts at terror (i.e. the "shoe bomber") have sufficiently made the masses into good little flocks of sheep.

and therefore we don't suffer from blowback? Or at least less so than India, Greece, Russia, Israel, etc etc etc...

college4life
02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
bro, the terrorists know that bernanke/geithner/tbtf etc etc are doing their dirty work for them.

bernanke and greenspan terrorized the american economy more than enough, no need to shed blood.

heavenlyboy34
02-01-2011, 11:47 PM
and therefore we don't suffer from blowback? Or at least less so than India, Greece, Russia, Israel, etc etc etc...

Sorry, I was on a different train of thought and multi-tasking, and so I wrote rather absent-mindedly. Post withdrawn.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 11:47 PM

-t

http://images.zaazu.com/img/vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

heavenlyboy34
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
http://images.zaazu.com/img/vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

Don't worry, AF. I'll pick a tasteful cheerleader pic when I do it. :)

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Terrorism deaths per capita, by country, combined 1968 to 2006

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ter_ter_act_196_fat_percap-1968-2006-fatalities-per-capita

USA ranked 23.

East Timor, Zimbabwe and Nicaragua ranked lower than the US, for example.

Marenco
02-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Tim Geithner and Ben Bernanke are more dangerous than Osama Bin Laden will ever be...

http://dailybail.com/storage/geithner%20bernanke%205.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVER SION=1237910293871

pcosmar
02-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Pointless to waste materials here.
Americans are already scared of everything. The media does the job just fine.

/sarcasm

"Terrorism" is a tactic. a very poor one for political change, but a great one for controlling populations.

tangent4ronpaul
02-02-2011, 12:21 AM

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ter_ter_act_196_fat_percap-1968-2006-fatalities-per-capita

USA ranked 23.

In statistics data points that are so far out there that they have no relation to the rest of the data, are called anomalies and are thrown out. 9/11 was an anomaly.

10.813 per 1 million people x 300 (million) = 3,081.3
3,081.3 - ~3,000 that died on 9/11 = 81.3 or 0.813 per 1 million people
That would make us number 96 out of 135 countries.

-t

Anti Federalist
02-02-2011, 12:25 AM
In statistics data points that are so far out there that they have no relation to the rest of the data, are called anomalies and are thrown out. 9/11 was an anomaly.

10.813 per 1 million people x 300 (million) = 3,081.3
3,081.3 - ~3,000 that died on 9/11 = 81.3 or 0.813 per 1 million people
That would make us number 96 out of 135 countries.

-t

You're not taking into account acts of terror during the 1960s and 1970s, when the population was substantially less, thereby skewing the numbers upward

tangent4ronpaul
02-02-2011, 12:30 AM
You're not taking into account acts of terror during the 1960s and 1970s, when the population was substantially less, thereby skewing the numbers upward

True, IIRC the population was around 270 Million back then. This is somewhat offset by the population being ~310 Million now, and I used 300 Million which should have been accurate cica 1995-2000

Then again, the birth of modern terrorism was in the early 1970's.

-t

Anti Federalist
02-02-2011, 12:36 AM
True, IIRC the population was around 270 Million back then. This is somewhat offset by the population being ~310 Million now, and I used 300 Million which should have been accurate cica 1995-2000

Then again, the birth of modern terrorism was in the early 1970's.

-t

Quite a bit lower actually.

203,392,031 total in 1970.

Captain America
02-02-2011, 12:44 AM

spot on

DamianTV
02-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Its not that it doesnt happen, its that the terrorists are the people in power so nothing is ever said in a negative light about them. Except for here...

sevin
02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
The low rate of attacks in the US are due to the Patriot Act and War in Iraq keeping the terrorits out of the US, duh!

Of course!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBn5G7Y2RA

Jack Bauer
02-02-2011, 08:08 AM
You are discounting one major factor that has kept the US relatively free of any type of attacks (terror or otherwise) - geography. Its far more difficult for potential terrorists to immigrate to the US than it is to immigrate to say India.

In fact, if you compare India with the US, both countries have the following features:

2. Freedom of movement

However, India also has a few more features that the US doesn't that seem to help terrorists execute their attacks.

4. Easy to immigrate to (legally and illegally)
5. A larger section of population that is potentially sympathetic to terrorists and their causes
6. A castrated government with no bite whatsoever
7. Political parties that cater to "vote banks" - some of which are influenced by the sympathetic parts of the population
8. Greater religio-political diversity

So, its understandable that India is a softer target for terrorists than the US. Israel too, for obvious reasons. I don't know much about Russia so I cannot comment.

2young2vote
02-02-2011, 08:29 AM
So the question is why haven't we seen as much blowback as you'd expect? I mean, we took over Iraq and Afghanistan and are threatening Iran. I would say we (the USA) should be suffering more blowback than anyone else, but we actually have only suffered very little domestically. I mean, it seems like they are too busy blowing up their own countrymen to bother with the USA.

erowe1
02-02-2011, 08:58 AM

USA ranked 23.

Yeah, but almost 100% of those 10+ deaths / million people over that 38 year period was 9/11 alone.

YumYum
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
People in this country are too overweight to become terrorist.

MRK
02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
We don't have as much terrorism in the US because the lazy FBI isn't doing enough coaxing people into committing terrorist plots.

angelatc
02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Bush is still keeping us safe!

Vessol
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I say the reason why America ranks so low on terrorist attacks compared to the other nations on that list is because for those nations those elements certainly are real and very present. Chechens are very real and are very much against Russia. Same with Palastinians in Israel.

The lack of attacks doesn't go to show how successful our system is, as I've said before if they really wanted to, planes would be falling from the sky daily. I think it goes to show how fake our "enemies" are. Not "OMG CIA IS BEHIND EVERYTHING" fake, but rather how over-exaggerated the threat is and how misunderstood it is.

libertybrewcity
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
believe it or not the FBI has done an excellent job of stopping terrorist attacks in the United States. I have heard figures from relatives in law enforcemnet that some 5k+ planned attacks have been foiled by various government agencies. I don't know if that is a yearly figure or since 9/11.

tangent4ronpaul
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
However, India also has a few more features that the US doesn't that seem to help terrorists execute their attacks.

5. A larger section of population that is potentially sympathetic to terrorists and their causes
7. Political parties that cater to "vote banks" - some of which are influenced by the sympathetic parts of the population

So, its understandable that India is a softer target for terrorists than the US. Israel too, for obvious reasons. I don't know much about Russia so I cannot comment.

Gee - this seems to describe the USA to a key....

-t

Jack Bauer
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Gee - this seems to describe the USA to a key....

-t

Relatively speaking, those features are much more prominent in India than the US. ;)

Anti Federalist
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Of course!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBn5G7Y2RA

Awesomeness.

+rep

BlackTerrel
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Its not that it doesnt happen, its that the terrorists are the people in power so nothing is ever said in a negative light about them. Except for here...

So we don't actually suffer from blowback then? Terrorism is actually done by our government. Foreign intervention has not caused them to attack us over here.

I singled out your post but this is the general answer I've gotten from almost everyone on this thread so far.

BlackTerrel
02-02-2011, 11:49 PM
You are discounting one major factor that has kept the US relatively free of any type of attacks (terror or otherwise) - geography. Its far more difficult for potential terrorists to immigrate to the US than it is to immigrate to say India.

In fact, if you compare India with the US, both countries have the following features:

2. Freedom of movement

So the question is why haven't we seen as much blowback as you'd expect? I mean, we took over Iraq and Afghanistan and are threatening Iran. I would say we (the USA) should be suffering more blowback than anyone else, but we actually have only suffered very little domestically. I mean, it seems like they are too busy blowing up their own countrymen to bother with the USA.

These two are kinda/sorta what I said. I agree.

heavenlyboy34
02-04-2011, 01:13 AM

-t

Here's a first draft of the lieberman project you requested (let me know if I'm on the right track for what you wanted. I can easily tweak it and plan on doing another one, too.):

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/heavenlyboy34/liebermancheerleaderver1.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
02-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Here's a first draft of the lieberman project you requested (let me know if I'm on the right track for what you wanted. I can easily tweak it and plan on doing another one, too.):

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/heavenlyboy34/liebermancheerleaderver1.jpg

GREAT! - thank you!

tweaks... well, maybe replace the letters on "her" chest with DHS - if you can find a source pic. (try post 9)

This could be handy :)

-t

juvanya
02-04-2011, 03:21 AM
no terror since 9/11 because the goal of the terror (tricking us into these wars) was accomplished succesfully.

when the need arises for another false flag event....trust me....you'll have another event in America.....courtesy of CIA/Mossad

Because the CIA is very effective in its schemes and the Jewish state wanted Iran to grow powerful after its checks were removed.

DamianTV
02-04-2011, 04:32 AM
He who votes has no power at all.

He who counts the votes has all the power in the world.

The people counting the number of crimes that the US Govt is commiting against us all are not being counted as "Acts of Terrorism". If someone shoots a cop, they will count that as an act of terrorism, but if a man is killed by a cop, for whatever the reason, it is VERY doubtful that will also be considered to be included in their count.

fj45lvr
02-04-2011, 05:35 AM
I think the U.S. does pretty fair job of exporting their terror to brown people in foreign lands.

teacherone
02-04-2011, 07:15 AM
we have little terrorism because of the fed.

terrorism hits the desperate and destitute.

the fed has been able to keep our economic charade going long enough by printing up little green slips of paper that even our poor can exchange for smart phones.

the time scale is finite.

terrorism comes with the collapse.

RM918
02-04-2011, 07:24 AM
The obvious answer to me is that we have been a target of terrorism, it's just that all we did was move the 'target' to the Middle East. Why would they spend tons of money, time and preparation trying to infiltrate and set something off in this country that sees a terrorist under every rock when they could just walk outside and shoot an American in Afghanistan? They're killing Americans over there and bogging us down into a horrific economic quagmire that will actually destroy this country as opposed to increasing the police state over here by blowing themselves up at a security terminal.

angelatc
02-04-2011, 07:50 AM
believe it or not the FBI has done an excellent job of stopping terrorist attacks in the United States. I have heard figures from relatives in law enforcemnet that some 5k+ planned attacks have been foiled by various government agencies. I don't know if that is a yearly figure or since 9/11.

I'm really cynical about that. It seems odd that they were able foil all those elaborate plots originated by evil geniuses, while the two attacks that slipped through their watchful eyes were master-minded by absolute morons who couldn't even manage to finish the deeds.

heavenlyboy34
02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
GREAT! - thank you!

tweaks... well, maybe replace the letters on "her" chest with DHS - if you can find a source pic. (try post 9)

This could be handy :)

-t

lolz...okay, I'll work on that. :)