PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Needs a Debate "Handler"

JS4Pat
10-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Ron Paul appeals to me just the way he is and I am sure that is the case with everyone else posting on this forum...

BUT...

He is not appealing to enough people - and he is needlessly turning some people off.

After every debate I get the following comments from friends and family...

* I feel like he is angry at me *

* He is too negative *

* He is soft on defense *

We all know these to be inaccurate assesments - but perception is reality.

A consultant/handler could easily turn these around.

1. Smile more. :D

2. After outlining the problem: paint the picture of how a Ron Paul America would look. Most people don't even realize what real freedom looks and feels like.

3. After stating his anti-war position: Proclaim that if there is EVER a threat to the national security of this country he will immediately bring that information to the congress and ask for a Declaration of War. And once given the constitutional authority to go to war - he as Commander in Chief will make sure we win.

He needs to bring in some paid professionals in this area.

Spirit of '76
10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
My mother watched the debate last night, and afterwards she said, "His biggest problem is that he becomes very impassioned very quickly. I admire his passion can tell he's sincere, but I think it frightens a lot of people."

Daveforliberty
10-22-2007, 03:04 PM
I vote that we let Ron be Ron.

robertwerden
10-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I agree. Ron Paul is strong on defense and he needs to show that side more. I think he is being to matter of fact and this is not the point in the race to be so stern faced. People like him when they see him online, but at the debates he appears very worried.

Tina
10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I vote that we let Ron be Ron.

I agree. He's not going to change anyway. He doesn't play games as far as I can see.

Gimme Some Truth
10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Ron isnt perfect. Ron himself would be the 1st to say so. Infact he has.

What has been brought up is valid.

I think he does get angry at debates. We get angry watching them dont we? Continuous war propaganda ,im sure, really riles him , not to mention the other candidates couldnt spell "the constitution" let alone follow it.

JS4Pat
10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I think he does get angry at debates. We get angry watching them dont we? Continuous war propaganda ,im sure, really riles him , not to mention the other candidates couldnt spell "the constitution" let alone follow it.

True - but IMO we won't win that way.

Politics is still politics - You have to find the BEST way to win the MOST people over to your message.

Anger won't get it done...

barcop
10-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I enjoy watching him in the post-debate interviews when he just seems more relaxed. He could use just a small bit of that charm in the debates.

I think people seeing him on Jay Leno though... will show that softer, happier side to people who have only seen is serious side in the debates... which will be a good thing.

Cali4RonPaul
10-22-2007, 11:02 PM
I enjoy watching him in the post-debate interviews when he just seems more relaxed. He could use just a small bit of that charm in the debates.

I think people seeing him on Jay Leno though... will show that softer, happier side to people who have only seen is serious side in the debates... which will be a good thing.

Agreed.

Ron Paul just needs more exposure, these few minute debates are not an accurate gauge for the man.

Seth M.
10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
We have to understand that he is pepped up for these debates... watching after the debate you can see he chills out.. He is fighting for what is right up there with his whole 3 mins.. youknow :)

The point is not that he is not happy faced or whatever.. its airtime of the others by comparison all in all it looks to show that he is constantly fighting by default as they rarely ever show anything other than that on the networks.. -this is our realm. can we organize a constitution signing at radio stations at a couple stops around the country?

More family Ron on the air... Ron bring your family in front of the camera a couple times.. You're a loving family guy, people want to see that!

Show your wallet on Leno.. show your 15 thousand grandchildren (slightly blurry of course) just a quick head shot and a name or two..

my 2 cents

Good work Dr. Paul I am very proud to follow your lead. Keep it up!

0zzy
10-22-2007, 11:25 PM
I hate people.
Oh well.

Why is it that people can't see what i see?
why is it that people see anger, when I see passion?
why is it that people see trouble, when I see solutions?
why is it that people see native, when i see genius?
Why is it that people can't see what I see?

Omnis
10-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Ron Paul really has his hands under control, though. The gestures now have more impact and give a dramatic effect to his speech instead of a flailing "omg" sensation.

Whenever he does a post-debate speech, however, is when you get hooked on the message. I wish they would give him the time to outline the positive as he does so well.

nickcoons
10-30-2007, 12:23 AM
* I feel like he is angry at me *
* He is too negative *
* He is soft on defense *

I get these too, with a variation on the last one, like "He would make a good President during peace-time."

1. Smile more. :D

2. After outlining the problem: paint the picture of how a Ron Paul America would look. Most people don't even realize what real freedom looks and feels like.

3. After stating his anti-war position: Proclaim that if there is EVER a threat to the national security of this country he will immediately bring that information to the congress and ask for a Declaration of War. And once given the constitutional authority to go to war - he as Commander in Chief will make sure we win.

He needs to bring in some paid professionals in this area.

I think you bring up some good points.

As a long-time Libertarian (read "Someone who pays attention to what is said and not how pretty it sounds"), I was on-board with Ron Paul as soon as I heard of his candidacy. But if I didn't know who he was, and wasn't as much into politics as I am, and the first time I was ever exposed to him was during one of the GOP debates (especially the most recent one on Fox), I might not have taken to him.

While the points he makes are right on target, he sounds angry while making them. He dedicates too much time telling us what the problems are and not enough of it rationally outlining solutions. I understand that the media gives him very little time. Couple that with knowing your surrounded by a bunch of morons, and I feel his frustration. That frustration coupled with limited time results in responses to questions that are sometimes nonsensical to those who don't know who he is.

In the CNBC debate regarding economics, his very first answer was clear and on target. No one could take issue with what he said or how he said it. I thought at the point he had someone helping him with forming answers during the debates. But I was disappointed on the most recent Fox debates, as his performance was almost a 180.

And this behavior seems to be limited only to the debates. When he's interviewed one-on-one, or in front of a group of supporters, he seems to be a different, happy person.

I think it would benefit him greatly during the debates if he smiled as he outlined how wonderful life would be under a freedom-based Paul administration, while providing specifics to solving problems related to questions that he's asked.

To clarify, I have no issues with how he is at all in terms of his ability to hold the executive office. I think he'd make a great President just as he is. The potential problem is that "just as he is" may not be appealing enough to enough voters to get him elected.

I look forward to seeing him on Jay Leno tomorrow night, because he seems to do well in these environments, and this should be an excellent opportunity for him in front a large audience. I sincerely hope he makes the most of it.

Primbs
10-30-2007, 12:50 AM
An old saying in politics. "Friendly wins."

Hillary Clinton has been getting lessons in how to be more friendly. She isn't quite as snarling anymore.

Reagan was a warm and friendly and smiling politician by 1980. Yes Reagan could turn on the anger at times, but he tried to smile and win over people.

Newt and Goldwater were snarling politicians who may have alot to say, but their demeanor is negative.

Ron Paul can start to smile. His after debate appearance with Hannity was more friendly than his previous appearance. We are not trying to win over Hannity as much as we are trying to win over Hannity's audience.