PDA

View Full Version : Al-Jazeera reporting shots fired during Egyptian protests

nobody's_hero
02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
In Alexandria.

Don't have a video but they are talking about it on the live'stream now.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Apparently, the "Pro-Mubarak" people came out to start a counter-protest and things turned sour.

olehounddog
02-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Seems like it's calmed down. Tank and APC came in and got between the 2 groups.

nobody's_hero
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Yep. Very professional move by the army to diffuse the situation.

BrendenR
02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I was watching as the protesters started to throw rocks at each other, the tank rolled in to try and separate the groups and fired into the air to get things under control. There were people trying to stop the guys throwing rocks as well waiving their hands as if to call a truce. I can just imagine the Egyptian meatheads that might be out there that just want to fight and cause chaos for the hell of it, hopefully there is none of that.

pcosmar
02-01-2011, 04:57 PM
@asa_wire: AJE: stop talking about "pro-Mubarak protests". They are not: they are armed gangs of Mubarak thugs attacking peaceful Egyptians.

@TrellaLB: BREAKING: 5 stabbed in Alexandria as thugs attack protesters

tweetactivist Reports: Darn. #Mubarak supporters/thugs wreaking havoc in #Cairo and :Alexandria. #tweetactivist #jan25

I hope the defenders can keep their cool.

Vessol
02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Yep. Very professional move by the army to diffuse the situation.

From my observations, the military has been very civil in this whole affair. Despite orders to fire on crowds, they have refused to do so. Many pictures of them shaking hands with protesters also come to mind. And now this.

It's a nice sign to see a tank trying to stop a fight rather than rolling over people and starting one.