PDA

View Full Version : NYC - Bloomberg uses taxpayer funds to send private investigators to AZ gun shows.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Bloomberg, P.I. — Undercovers to Ariz. gun show

By JUANA SUMMERS | 1/31/11 2:08 PM EST Updated: 1/31/11 2:50 PM EST

Bloomberg brought a little muscle to the gun show.

In a move reaching far beyond the New York City mayor's turf, Bloomberg sent private, undercover investigators to an Arizona gun show. And Bloomberg says his agents found sellers peddling their wares even after buyers said they likely wouldn't pass a background check.

The sort-of sting operation is Bloomberg's latest tack in pushing for more and better background checks in the wake of the Tucson shooting.

"We have demonstrated how easy it is for anyone to buy a semi-automatic handgun and a high capacity magazine, no questions asked," he said.

Bloomberg unveiled a series of videos Monday, shot at the Jan. 23 Crossroads of the West gun show in Phoenix. The videos were shot by undercover investigators working for a private company, Kroll Associates.

In one video, a man trying to buy a gun tells the dealer he probably couldn't pass a background check. The dealer, undeterred, sells the man a gun anyway.

This isn't the first time the Bloomberg administration has hired P.I.s to bolster the gun control push. Using city money, he has dispatched Kroll investigators to gun shows in other states, to determine whether dealers would sell guns to people knowing their backgrounds were questionable.

Since the Jan. 8 Tucson shooting, Bloomberg has tapped Daniel Hernandez, the intern credited with saving Rep. Gabrielle Giffords's life, to support the cause, holding frequent news conferences and touting statements of support from various elected officials and families affected by gun violence

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48506.html#ixzz1CjRU2bHE

jclay2
02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
This mayor is pathetic. I am not surprised though. When I interned in lower Manhattan this summer, everyone in the office absolutely detested guns and the peoples right to have them. Of course these were the same people who trusted the police to use their weapons responsibly:(. There was even one canadian guy at the office who said "The US has it all backwards, They protect the right to bear arms while disregarding the right to healthcare". Needless to say, I hope to not go back any time soon.

fisharmor
02-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Interesting.
He tried that crap here in VA in 2007, and the AG here told him that if his agents come down to Virginia to break the law again, they're going to get prosecuted.
That's probably why he's doing it 2400 miles away from home now, instead of just 250 miles.

Pericles
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Just another publicity stunt. He is on the wrong side of the verdict of history. How many people look around the country and say "I gotta move to NYC."

Acala
02-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks NewYork! Now the less-restrictive gun laws just introduced in the Arizona legislature are more likely to pass! Nothing like some east coast slicker telling us how to run our business to cause us to dig in.