PDA

View Full Version : Walk Out on Rumsfeld at CPAC!?!

Joshua Parrish
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I am sure most of you are as thrilled as I am about this years recipient of the "Defender of the Constitution" award!

Thats right, liberty icon, Donald Rumsfeld!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/rumsfeld-receive-defender-constitution-award-cpac/

How great would it be to pack this award ceremony with real defenders of the constitution and then all quietly stand and walk out in unison as Rummy begins his acceptance speech?

I also envision several of our participants having duct tape over their mouths with the words "Patriot Act", "Torture", Rendition", "Article 1: Section 8", ect...

I know this is late notice but if anyone is interested or has any input please do not hesitate to contribute.

Objective #1: Vote for Ron Paul

Objective #2: Send a clear message to the old republican guard that we know who the real defenders of the Constitution are!

Thanks,
Joshua

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
You could just not attend the presentation. Leave before it starts. Rather than disrupting something and furthering the stereotype of the immature Ron Paul supporter.
Just saying....

muzzled dogg
02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
but the neocons wouldnt like us to do that

teacherone
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
then again--it would make the leftist media's head-spin.

RyanRSheets
02-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Keep in mind that we have to win the votes of the people in that room, and anyone watching, if we are to win the nomination.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I think it would make Ron look bad. Just leave the room empty to begin with. The media comments on who gets a crowd.

Jeremy
It's right after Rand Paul too.

akforme
I think this proves the GOP is going backwards.

Seraphim
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
To be honest, walking out mid ceremony/mid speech WOULD have the left screaming WTF. This a GOOD thing.

If moderate leftists who have a bite of fiscal coservatism see the right wingers shutting out neocon warmongers and "right wing sociopaths" in favor of rational, good hearted Americans (Like Ron Paul!)...it may swing some voters.

then again--it would make the leftist media's head-spin.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
It's right after Rand Paul too.

Well, running out really fast after Rand isn't the same as standing up and leaving in the middle. There is no reason our guys should have to sit through that.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
To be honest, walking out mid ceremony/mid speech WOULD have the left screaming WTF. This a GOOD thing.

If moderate leftists who have a bite of fiscal coservatism see the right wingers shutting out neocon warmongers and "right wing sociopaths" in favor of rational, good hearted Americans (Like Ron Paul!)...it may swing some voters.

More conservatives are against being actively rude, I think. But absolutely people should leave after Rand does, unless they like Romney.

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
it may swing some voters.

And turn off even more republican primary voters.
Just leave before the presentation.

MRoCkEd
02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah, we shouldn't boo but I think its a good idea to silently walk out as soon as his name is announced

The Dark Knight
02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Walking out is a great idea. We owe it to our constitution. I could care less what the Neo Cons think of us.

VegasPatriot
02-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Get there early, sit in the front. Don't ware any RP gear and be polite. Silently stand up and walk out when Rumsfeld is announced.

sailingaway
Walking out is a great idea. We owe it to our constitution. I could care less what the Neo Cons think of us.

It won't help our constitution to let people paint Ron's followers as rude, as a group. They are USING Rand to build his crowd. The room will be PACKED for Rand. Believe me, if 2/3 of the room walk out at the end of Rand's speech, it will be noteworthy. There is no need to be rude.

dbill27
Walking out quietly is genius. It is respectful protest, no one can make claims of rp supporters being unruly, just good old fashioned civil disobedience. Keep in mind, when Rop Paul wins the straw poll he will most likely be booed again, so prove your more respectful

brandon
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I say pelt him with snowballs

Romulus
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Walk out quietly when his name is announced.

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I love it when new guys make these suggestions.

RyanRSheets
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Walking out quietly is genius. It is respectful protest, no one can make claims of rp supporters being unruly, just good old fashioned civil disobedience. Keep in mind, when Rop Paul wins the straw poll he will most likely be booed again, so prove your more respectful

They'll spin it as us being disrespectful one way or the other. That's not to say "don't do it", they're just going to do whatever they can to make us look bad.

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
They'll spin it as us being disrespectful one way or the other. That's not to say "don't do it", they're just going to do whatever they can to make us look bad.

at the same time, putting this right after Rand's speech......smells like a setup. just because they bait us into being disrespectful doesn't mean we have to swallow the hook.

Romulus
02-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Yeah, makes you wonder how many provocateurs are going to parade as Ron Paul supporters. I'd suggest folks to distance themselves from anyone doing something idiotic.

MelissaCato
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM

I disagree. I think at least FOX, FOX Business and the Judge will air the Ron Paul Revolution with a respectful slant. I'm in all hopes anyhows. Only time will tell.

RCA
02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Why not just walk out on Statism all together? Seems more rational to me.

erowe1
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't do anything disruptive that would give the people who want to hear his speech a legitimate grievance against us. I just wouldn't attend it.

HOLLYWOOD
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I'd walk out on him in protest, just like they do in the UN... you know on opening there will be a "RIGGED CHEER" and marching band battle hymn of the republic type nonsense.

I'm still seeing if INtrade ODDS decrease on someone yelling "YOU LIED" during Rummy's spew.

Everything is Marketing and Sales today with anything to do with government perception to the public.

Acala
02-01-2011, 12:42 PM
If they DON'T walk out, it shows support for, or at least meek acquiescence in, what Rumsfeld stands for - torture, surveilance, murder, and unconstitutional global empire.

He deserves to be pelted with shoes, but we should show retraint and just walk out.

erowe1
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
He deserves to be pelted with shoes, but we should show retraint and just walk out.

Or just not attend.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Yeah, makes you wonder how many provocateurs are going to parade as Ron Paul supporters. I'd suggest folks to distance themselves from anyone doing something idiotic.

this^^^

There are huge groups trying to say the straw poll means nothing because it is 'only the libertarians'. While they said it last time when CPAC had its largest ever attendence, the fact is they will say any rudeness is Ron's supporters. And this being right after Rand will definitely pin the reaction to him. Do you want to stick your finger in their eye more than you want to win the real battles?

You KNOW Ron. Go back and watch his CPAC speech from last year. We want people LISTENING to him...not being as rude to him as we were to others.

teacherone
02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
lol

CPAC to Give Rumsfeld "Defending the Constitution" Award
Submitted by davidswanson on Tue, 2011-02-01 17:27 Activism
February 10, 2011, 4:00pm

That's where you should be to help present Donald Rumsfeld with a very serious award for his noble defense of the mythical document the Tea Party refers to mysteriously as "The Constitution," not to be confused with any document available in print.

This PDF schedule of CPAC's upcoming festivities opens on February 10 with Michele Bachmann (everybody take three steps to your left so she can see you), and goes straight into gay bashing.

By late morning on February 10th, instead of the usual protest of the Citizens United decision that any other gathering of Americans would feature, this one will include the Citizens United group itself performing a dramatization of the dangers of a nuclear Iran. "Explosive!"

Then Andrew Breitbart types will train you in becoming big-time movie makers. "Dress provocatively!"

After lunch you can study up on how to uneducate young people, and take part in a Ronald Reagan extravaganza, including a talk about "God and Reagan" where the challenge will, of course, be identifying which is which.

But wait! There's more! At 1 pm Congressman Steve "bombs would be better than Wikileaks" King and the National Rifle Association will overlap five other sessions, only four of which are completely insane. One, believe it or not, is about the need to cut military spending -- a presentation by something called the "Committee for the Republic" with whom we should perhaps be talking.

A full 15 minutes later, at 1:15 the big immigrant-bashing session gets rolling: "Proper Englisch Spelling Will Liberiate Us!"

At 2 pm Risk Santorum is on stage with a dog (exact nature of the act is a closely guarded secret).

Then there's government-bashing, more gay-bashing, a little theocracy promotion, and astroturf training. . . oh, and something to do with Saint Peter's bones.

And this action-packed extravaganza has saved time to re-fight the Vietnam War before Senator Rand Paul shows up at 3:45 at the Whites Only entrance.

As many as nine or more activists are expected to attend the CPAC affair and they will each get 2 minutes to speak at 4 pm.

Then, a split second later, at - in fact - 4 pm, Rummy will roll in from Mount Misery to pick up his much deserved award for defending the Constitution from the forces of literacy and law enforcement. (Sources say he plans to secretly arrive 10 hours early and stand behind a door just to prove that standing for 10 hours is not torture, but I don't want to spoil the surprise.)

Some of your lesser rightwingers, including Tucker Carlson and some others you may have actually heard of will also do their thing at 4 pm and they're offering free food, so really let's skip the Rummy ceremony.

At 4:30 the man to whom the U.S. House just gave the power to cap spending on anything other than wars, Paul Ryan, will talk about how expensive governmet paper is, while Rumsfeld signs books - STANDING! - and Dick Morris sucks on Citizen's United's corporate person's toes (not to be missed!).

Then if you've never gotten drunk with Ron and Rand Paul and seen them play their "Who's a bigger bullshitter" game, well here's your chance, and it's an OPEN BAR.

Drink up, because by 7 pm we'll be celebrating the glorious War on Iraq! But only until 7:30 when the Presidential Banquet (with no president of course) kicks into full carnivorous fury.

I know you think I'm making this up, but I couldn't create this ugly a website if you paid me http://www.conservative.org/cpac

And that was just Day One.

So sober up and slurp some tea, because Friday, February 11th features champagne-chugging congress members, bipartisan pollsters, cutting spending, our leftwing judges, demonstrations of the cleanness of coal, IRS effigy burnings, Mitt Romney, cutting spending, Tom Price, caring for human beings if they are fetuses, immigrant bashing part 2, Marsha Blackburn, John Thune, and cutting spending.

There's even a second bit on the scandalous notion of cutting spending at the Pentagon with Grover Norquist. So be sure you've tossed all your tomatoes at the stage prior to that 11 am session.

Also at 11 am Grover Norquist will simultaneously be in another room hyping the need to confront the global menace of evildoers. I recommend booing him only in that session unless he's there by holographic trickery, in which case just unplug him.

At noon, for a change of pace, Grover Norquist will turn to the burning need to cut spending.

At 12:30 legitimately sane and decent opponent of empire Bruce Fein will sign his new and excellent book.

But, relax, because at 1 pm we'll plot the complete elimination of healthcare. Making swift work of that, we'll take on public schools at 1:15.

And at 1:30 you will NOT WANT TO MISS "The Awakening of the Conservative Woman" co-starring none other than our very own Michele Bachmann in another Citizens United production, followed by Phyllis Schlafly's remarks tentatively entitled "Oh go back to sleep for fuck's sake."

You do have a choice, though, because Bruce Fein will also speak at 1:30, followed -- through a strange space-time continuum by a 1 pm book signing called "Obama Zombies."

This will go on in a similar manner for another day and a half. There will be labor union bashing, campaigns to get guns on college campuses, lessons in English writing from Tea Partiers, a Constitional I'm Not Making This Up Amendment to forbid spending money, Muslim bashing, and a session on prison reform that will probably be much more reassuringly lunatic than it sounds on the schedule, another awakening of the conservative woman (and her two friends!), Rick Perry, environmentalist bashing, cutting spending, Mitch Daniels, Connie Mack, and lots of ALCOHOL.

There is another sane bit on repealing the PATRIOT Act, which will be buried in a sea of spreading stupidity. And you will want to stay for the end so as not to miss Jim Woolsey on "The Sharia Challenge," tea partiers, spending cuts, and guns, guns, guns. Plus China and North Korea are planning to nuke us! And Zalmay Khalizad will reveal that he still thinks we should keep killing Afghans!

Ann Coulter will be there! Won't you?

http://warisacrime.org/content/cpac-give-rumsfeld-defending-constitution-award

nobody's_hero
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Everyone should wear Donald Rumsfeld shirts and then boo and hiss and walk out when his name is announced. That'll really confuse the establishment.

Be like, "Boo, Donald! I didn't realize you liked the Constitution! The Constitution sucks! And now so do you!"

Then rip up your shirt.

BenIsForRon
02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Silent walkout sounds good to me. C4L people should get together and come up with an official plan before the speech. Show a unified front.

Kregisen
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
If you aren't wearing Ron Paul gear....how the hell would anyone know who you support? How would walking out be bad for Ron?

Austin
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
A silent, coordinated walkout is straight from the books of LI. They teach you this in the Youth Leadership School.

Acala
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
this^^^

There are huge groups trying to say the straw poll means nothing because it is 'only the libertarians'. While they said it last time when CPAC had its largest ever attendence, the fact is they will say any rudeness is Ron's supporters. And this being right after Rand will definitely pin the reaction to him. Do you want to stick your finger in their eye more than you want to win the real battles?

You KNOW Ron. Go back and watch his CPAC speech from last year. We want people LISTENING to him...not being as rude to him as we were to others.

I'm sorry but walking out in silent protest when a murderous s&*tbag of a man who HATES the Constitution and has worked tirelessly to destroy it gets an award for defending it is not rude. It is the bare minimum that needs to be done to get the message across that things are going to change in the GOP or it is finished.

Kotin
02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I say pelt him with snowballs

When in doubt.. ;)

Andrew-Austin
02-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Its what I would instinctively do, like backing away from a foul odor. I think the people who are worried about how this will appear to others are just hyperventilating over nothing, it sounds cowardly really, if you are not wearing a RP shirt then what could be the problem.

trey4sports
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Regardless of what anyone else does, I will be walking out of the room as soon as his name is announced.

civusamericanus
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe Rumsfeld is going to save the country by making a surprise announcement, "That he's found the missing $2.3 trillion dollars". That would be worth staying for, but I think I'd turn blue holding my breath and pass out, before that happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRqeJcuK-A

silentshout
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM

I agree. If i was attending, i would definitely not be able to stay in the room watching him speak. This man trashed the constitution these teocons pretend to worship...sorry but i could not sit through that.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Looks like somewhat of a consensus. :D

Original_Intent
02-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Well, to quell any agent provocateur conspiracy theories, I suggested this in another thread earlier.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, we shouldn't boo but I think its a good idea to silently walk out as soon as his name is announced

+1

Just leave politely if you are not happy.

Original_Intent
02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah I was gonna say MRoCkEd suggested it even before I did. So let's not get our "agent provocateur" panties in a bunch.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?277376-CPAC-is-giving-the-Defender-of-the-Constitution-Award-to..-Donald-Rumsfeld/page3

And YouTube or it didn't happen. If it goes viral and people are loving it we take the credit. If it is panned as rude adn inappropriate we keep our traps shut. And I think no one doing it should be wearing Ron Paul gear or anything that would tie it to Ron or Rand.

Joshua Parrish
02-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Well, I am glad I was able to generate some good discussion on this topic! I want to make it clear that what I am suggesting is a quiet, non-confrontational exit. When the state has the advantage of controlling the narrative, it would be foolish to assist them in any way.

Also, I am not sure about the logistics of the room where he will be speaking or how many people will be there to hear it. I think a solid number to shoot for in order to prevent "blowback" would be 100+

I suggest everyone planning on participating in this walk-out refrain from wearing any clothing that can tie you with a specific candidate! If enough of us commit to this plan of action, we will be the ones who get to frame the story!

Headline: "Rumsfeld gives acceptance speech to empty room as real defenders of the constitution walk-out."

Can't you see it on Freedom Watch: Ron Paul Wins CPAC straw poll again, Real Conservatives Walk-Out on Rumsfeld, the tides of Liberty are changing!

Perhaps I am just a dreamer!

georgiaboy
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
What would Rand Paul do?

Thomas
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
don't clap

Vessol
02-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I'd love to do this if there was a consensus and we all did this at once.

ronpaulhawaii
02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
The way I see it, CPAC is a long-running event where different clans of conservatives gather. As in any "big tent", there are bound to be groups/people who strongly disagree with other groups/people on any number of "policies". But at CPAC, like many olden gatherings of the Clans, people/groups do a good job of either avoiding their bitter enemies altogether, or engage them in organized discussions.

Putting aside the atrocity of Rumsfeld receiving this award. I am wondering why the planners would have put this ceremony immediately after Rand's speech? Does someone want us to make a scene? We already have a bad reputation as "troublemakers and infiltrators"; while some of that is a good thing for recruiting, CPAC is not a place for recruiting.

Again, will an organized "protest" play into the hands of some unseen player (like Brietbart...) Think about it...

This will be my third CPAC. Every time there are these "plans" to walk out on someone, or worse. Each time Ron Paul is forced to have to ask us to behave respectfully. I will have no part such a thing. Since he has had to say something in the past about these type "plans", I see no reason that, should such plans be carried forward, he wont be forced to ask us to behave, again. And, to me, that will be both embarrassing and counterproductive.

That said, I'll be watching Rands speech from wherever I end up, and will leave when he finishes, so I don't throw up...

Thomas
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
everyone already thinks libertarians are psychos, let's not give them ammunition

georgiaboy
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
The way I see it, CPAC is a long-running event where different clans of conservatives gather. As in any "big tent", there are bound to be groups/people who strongly disagree with other groups/people on any number of "policies". But at CPAC, like many olden gatherings of the Clans, people/groups do a good job of either avoiding their bitter enemies altogether, or engage them in organized discussions.

Putting aside the atrocity of Rumsfeld receiving this award. I am wondering why the planners would have put this ceremony immediately after Rand's speech? Does someone want us to make a scene? We already have a bad reputation as "troublemakers and infiltrators"; while some of that is a good thing for recruiting, CPAC is not a place for recruiting.

Again, will an organized "protest" play into the hands of some unseen player (like Brietbart...) Think about it...

This will be my third CPAC. Every time there are these "plans" to walk out on someone, or worse. Each time Ron Paul is forced to have to ask us to behave respectfully. I will have no part such a thing. Since he has had to say something in the past about these type "plans", I see no reason that, should such plans be carried forward, he wont be forced to ask us to behave, again. And, to me, that will be both embarrassing and counterproductive.

That said, I'll be watching Rands speech from wherever I end up, and will leave when he finishes, so I don't throw up...

+rep. It's high time we dropped the shock and awe and started playing nice. Disagreeing and not attending is one thing; making a scene in front of the world will just alienate a lot of people who are coming around to our views despite our reputation for in your face behavior. We have much high ground now; let's stay there.

AGRP
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Only if someone provides a bullet proof vest.

He'll probably have his security invade and murder us on behalf of "freedom."

AGRP
02-01-2011, 04:52 PM

+rep. It's high time we dropped the shock and awe and started playing nice. Disagreeing and not attending is one thing; making a scene in front of the world will just alienate a lot of people who are coming around to our views despite our reputation for in your face behavior. We have much high ground now; let's stay there.

Agreed.

I hate to get deeper into the conspiratorial realm, but if you take the concept of them wanting something to happen then they could guarantee something to happen (provocateurs). It would be smart to have this event soaked with cameras to document what could happen.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Its what I would instinctively do, like backing away from a foul odor. I think the people who are worried about how this will appear to others are just hyperventilating over nothing, it sounds cowardly really, if you are not wearing a RP shirt then what could be the problem.

Cowardly? Really?

trey4sports
02-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Cowardly? Really?

I see nothing wrong with a quiet walk out. Its better than hurling insults.....

Has anyone here seen how the british act in parliment? A quiet walk out is nothing......

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I see nothing wrong with a quiet walk out. Its better than hurling insults.....

Has anyone here seen how the british act in parliment? A quiet walk out is nothing......

I think the walk out should just be at the end of Rand's event. Not in the middle of someone else's. I would have no problem in a different setting, but this time people are there for the campaign and for the straw poll. How many not already going to vote for Ron, who are at CPAC, would cheer the walk out? How many who are voting at CPAC might be turned off? And apply that to the GOP which will be learning about it afterwards, as well. Which are more likely to be primary voters?

Walking out is better than booing, but I really think just leaving at the end of Rand's event because you don't want to waste time on Romney, when they very clearly placed him after Rand to have the room full, would be enough.

HOLLYWOOD
I wonder if Code Pink will infiltrate the Rumsfeld Award ceremony?

Since this is a big public thingy for Rummy since the correspondents dinner party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmRdfyAUio

The Dark Knight
im just gonna get up and walk out with all the other libertarians. I seen nothing wrong with that. atleast we arent sending 5,000 people to their death and nation building a country. shouting a boo here and there wont do much harm. You might be surpised how many people dont like Rumsfeld besides us.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 05:49 PM

This approach was wonderfully productive during Rand's campaign.

virgil47
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
You know what ? I'm in shock and awe! I had the impression that the majority of you thought CPAC was all that. I guess you really have no idea what it is all about but I think you are going to find out this year. LOL.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kpWqdPMjmo

Andrew-Austin
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Cowardly? Really?

If seeing Donald Rumsfeld receive such an award is akin to whiffing a really foul odor, which it is, then yes it is rather meek to just passively inhale that odor and sit there pretending its lavender scented febreeze just because you are worried how whacked out neocons will perceive you.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
If seeing Donald Rumsfeld receive such an award is akin to whiffing a really foul odor, which it is, then yes it is rather meek to just passively inhale that odor and sit there pretending its lavender scented febreeze just because you are worried how whacked out neocons will perceive you.

I'd say some people here are more calculated in how they represent themselves. Caution is good. Cowardly, not so much.

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd say some people here are more calculated in how they represent themselves. Caution is good. Cowardly, not so much.

Nothing says win like going to a conservative networking conference and doing something provocative to impress the many liberals in the crowd.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Except that I'd have left before even the whiff, right after a standing ovation for Rand. You want others to join your protest. Not agreeing with you is rejection of your premise, and nothing else. Calling people names won't make people who disagree change their minds.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Nothing says win like going to a conservative networking conference and doing something provocative to impress the many liberals in the crowd.

LOL!

It won't let me give you any more reputation.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 06:19 PM

The majority here believe that walking out politely, not doing something provocative, is the right thing to do.

If walking out quitely after Rand's finished is considered provacative...

CPAC already crowned who the winner is. It's definitely not Rumsfield.

I'd like to make a distinction between the conservatives, and those who are not. We surround them.

Andrew-Austin
02-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Fine, I realize its just caution that is making people think about this, but after thinking about it you decide to sit through the award ceremony/speeches, and maybe even applaud, that can probably fairly be called cowardice.

It sounds like misrepresenting not representing. Are you (or whoever is there) going to clap as well just because it would be rude not to clap? You don't want to hurt Rummy's feelings by not clapping.

Whatever, maybe I'm wrong on something seemingly subjective. It sounds most reasonable not to attend the Rummy award ceremony at all, but personally I would be tempted to take up a seat only to abandon it as some speech or whatever began.

But to sit there, suggesting at least passive acceptance that he deserves the reward? How is that not degrading oneself?

lynnf
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I think it would be much better and much classier to all stand up and turn your backs to him.

his connection to the neurotoxin aspartame alone justifies this. not to mention all the other warmongering reasons.

lynn

JoshLowry
Fine, I realize its just caution that is making people think about this, but after thinking about it you decide to sit through the award ceremony/speeches, and maybe even applaud, that can probably fairly be called cowardice.

It sounds like misrepresenting not representing. Are you (or whoever is there) going to clap as well just because it would be rude not to clap? You don't want to hurt Rummy's feelings by not clapping.

Whatever, maybe I'm wrong on something seemingly subjective. It sounds most reasonable not to attend the Rummy award ceremony at all, but personally I would be tempted to take up a seat only to abandon it as some speech or whatever began.

But to sit there, suggesting at least passive acceptance that he deserves the reward? How is that not degrading oneself?

You must be confused, I am going to walk out if an opportunity presents itself.

Regardless of what we do, the media is going to say we're all homosexuals and that's why Ron Paul won.

idirtify
Our movement is constantly criticized for talking much but doing little. Every time I turn around, someone is complaining about our rights being violated by the state and ranting that “people will not do anything about it”. The people are constantly getting blamed for the tyranny of the state. While some of the blame is deserved, the reasons are more philosophical and not for this conversation. The point is that here is a chance to actually do something that is newsworthy yet is non-violent and has a very low risk for bad press. Look, huge numbers of people hate this guy and even more people are sick that he is getting this award. So here comes a good man with a good plan for polite (enough) disagreement, and we are told we should NOT DO ANYTHING. Why? Because it would be “RUDE”!? OK Miss Manners, so it will end up that, even with all the objection (as reported throughout the MSM), Rumsfeld will receive this peace award without any detectable dissent from the audience?? Is that the objective? I mean if we are worried about bad press, I worry about what kind of press our nation will get from the world when our prime warmonger is awarded for his tyranny and not a hint of objection is seen or heard from the people at the ceremony.

So we are always told we’re supposed to do something about state tyranny, BUT now we are instructed to not be rude when the state gives its main mass-murderer a peace award. I don’t know which is more sickening; the award, or the instructions. Give me a break! Not doing something will be far ruder to a very large chunk of the observing world.

I think the individual that said something to the tune of “I know I will be walking out” has it right. Make it an individual decision and forget about whether the group plan will work or not. Or maybe there is a less rude way; just stand up and turn your back for the duration of the speech. Look at it this way: If you end up being the only one to “jump in the cold water”, there is a very good chance that the next day you will be a hero to a great percent of the world – and everyone will want to know your name.

Personally if I had a chance to go and declined to chance to do something, my next day would probably not be all that great.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I think it would be much better and much classier to all stand up and turn your backs to him

I would recommend against it. If you have the opportunity, just walk out politely.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 06:33 PM

NO ONE here is suggesting people should stay for the farce of calling R the 'defender of the Constitution.' People would likely vomit, which would also be rude. The question is whether people walk out en masse right after Rand's speech, not waiting for the next event, and leaving R to face an empty room, or wait until R is introduced and stand up and walk out in the 'abandon it only as he begins' approach you mention second.

However, people have different ideas on the action to take. My view is that the entirety of being at CPAC is goal oriented (Ron Paul 2012) and I would evaluate actions that reflect on Ron strategically towards that goal, not towards satisfying any other agenda. I would gladly walk out on the man in a noncampaign oriented setting. But others disagree and will act as they think most appropriate. Personally, I'd really enjoy the spectacle, I just wouldn't think it was worth adverse impact on Dr. Paul's campaign.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Regardless of what we do, the media is going to say we're all homosexuals and that's why Ron Paul won.

I saw an article yesterday saying that one way the Young Americans for Freedom was taken over from the Goldwater supporters who started it, was that the new neocons just made it unpleasant enough so our sort just didn't want to spend time there. The article indicated this is about when the Libertarian party formed (I have no idea if that is true.) However, one thing the article mentioned that was done to drive out the fiscal cons was to refer to them derisively as gays and pot smokers.... a favorite term being 'lazy fairies' -- for 'laisse faire'......

So if they follow with your hunch it will be well grounded in tradition....

JVParkour
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Here is what I think you should do. From my past experiences at CPAC, there is usually a few minutes of delay between speakers. I say that everyone sits tight after Rand talks for a few minutes, until you see the guy introducing Rumsfeld prepping off to the side. THEN AND ONLY THEN should everyone walk out. I think this is the best strategy because it doesn't give the crowd that will be outside enough time to come in and fill up the empty seats. If you leave as soon as Rand is done, then other people will have a chance to come and fill the empty seats, defeating the purpose. So, I say wait till like, 10 seconds before the guy comes up to introduce him.

The walk-out point will be made, no disruptions, respectful, and still tactful because other people wont have enough time to fill the empty seats.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I saw an article yesterday saying that one way the Young Americans for Freedom was taken over from the Goldwater supporters who started it, was that the new neocons just made it unpleasant enough so our sort just didn't want to spend time there. The article indicated this is about when the Libertarian party formed (I have no idea if that is true.) However, one thing the article mentioned that was done to drive out the fiscal cons was to refer to them derisively as gays and pot smokers.... a favorite term being 'lazy fairies' -- for 'laisse faire'......

So if they follow with your hunch it will be well grounded in tradition....

Agent provacateurs have been used for decades as you know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_provocateur US specific: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

If we give up on our own genuine polite activism in fear of the way we will be portrayed, then they win.

They will portray us as bad even when we're good. The real independent news websites - social news, forums, etc, will take note of the good activism.

By the way, it looks like Victoria's Secret has a new line called Agent Provacateur (http://www.agentprovocateur.com/). I'm sold!

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
The majority here believe that walking out politely, not doing something provocative, is the right thing to do.
If walking out quitely after Rand's finished is considered provacative...

That is not the suggested behavior I was referring to. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly with that. Get up and leave after Rand's speech; leaving the good seats for the people that actually want to hear captain aspartame. No need to wait and interrupt things.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
That is not the suggested behavior I was referring to. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly with that. Get up and leave after Rand's speech; leaving the good seats for the people that actually want to hear captain aspartame. No need to wait and interrupt things.

lol, I'd like to think this is the page most are on.

If we can propagate this as the plan, it would be nice.

When trying to organize and you take volunteers and agent provacateurs into the equation, you are left with an endless number of outcomes. So really, there is no organizing. It's hayekian chaos!

I'd like for us to take special note of anyone that does try and cause a truly provocative disturbance.

Take note of the black boots they are wearing. ;)

http://www.prisonplanet.com/images/august2007/230807shoes.jpg

trey4sports
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
i was thinking more of a walk-out-when-Rumsfeld-is-announced type of thing, so as to show I wont support neocons

MelissaWV
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't understand why people are even considering staying through any part of Rumsfeld's speech and then walking out or booing or whatever else. Just don't go. Walk out after Rand, and go do something else. CPAC is not designed for a captive audience. People will probably "walk out" before Rand, too, because they're more interested in something else than hearing him speak.

Vessol
02-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't understand why people are even considering staying through any part of Rumsfeld's speech and then walking out or booing or whatever else. Just don't go. Walk out after Rand, and go do something else. CPAC is not designed for a captive audience. People will probably "walk out" before Rand, too, because they're more interested in something else than hearing him speak.

If we could get a large part of the room to just politely stand up and file out without a word as soon as Rumsfeld is presented with the award, it'd be a powerful statement to the GOP.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
i was thinking more of a walk-out-when-Rumsfeld-is-announced type of thing, so as to show I wont support neocons

Rumsfield is right after Rand.

It should be a message that the media won't be able to jump down our throats for.

Leaving after Rand gives us plausible deniability.

Original_Intent
02-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Although I would like something more blatant, I am coming around to Josh's PoV. The truth is, the idea is out there now, there will be some that leave right after Rand's event, there will likely be some that walk out in the middle of Rummy's award, and there will probably be booes, people turning their backs, etc. during the applause. I really hope anyone who does anything above walking out doesn't have anything to associate them with Ron or Rand. Hope.

ronpaulhawaii
02-01-2011, 08:06 PM
If we could get a large part of the room to just politely stand up and file out without a word as soon as Rumsfeld is presented with the award, it'd be a powerful statement to the GOP.

Powerful statements aside, if Ron Paul gets wind of this, and again has to ask his supporters not to take part. How many will still be willing to be this "large" part of the room you are imagining?

Leaving after Rand gives us plausible deniability.

^^^ That!

S.Shorland
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I know that Rumsfeld met Saddam Hussein the same number of times George Galloway did.Twice.He used the opportunities to sell him gas and guns?That's basically all I know about him except he is the joint Arch Neocon together with Cheney.What did Rumsfeld actually do against the Constitution? and you'd better have an agreed line to give anyone who asks as to why you walked out.It does sound like a trap to me to be honest but if you walk out as soon as you've applauded Rand I think it's fair enough.If there are any APs there,make sure you have quick access to your phones to record it so they can be identified.

JoshLowry
02-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I know that Rumsfeld met Saddam Hussein the same number of times George Galloway did.Twice.He used the opportunities to sell him gas and guns?That's basically all I know about him except he is the joint Arch Neocon together with Cheney.What did Rumsfeld actually do against the Constitution? and you'd better have an agreed line to give anyone who asks as to why you walked out.It does sound like a trap to me to be honest but if you walk out as soon as you've applauded Rand I think it's fair enough.If there are any APs there,make sure you have quick access to your phones to record it so they can be identified.

"Constitutional conservatives don't misplace 2.3 Trillion dollars under their administrations."

You make a good point though. We should come up with some one-liners in case anyone is interviewed. Will do a little digging... (Feel free to do your own.)

My quote above actually isn't fair because it puts all the blame on Rummy. 4th amendment/Patriot Act may be the best way to specifically target him.

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
What did Rumsfeld actually do against the Constitution? and you'd better have an agreed line to give anyone who asks as to why you walked out.It does sound like a trap to me to be honest but if you walk out as soon as you've applauded Rand I think it's fair enough..

And don't expect the "liberal" media to help you out, seeing as Obama has continued any policies Rumsfeld was associated with.

trey4sports
02-01-2011, 08:25 PM

+1

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM

And exactly what would that statement be?

ammorris
02-01-2011, 09:02 PM

That we are immature and don't play well with others.

sailingaway
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
"Constitutional conservatives don't misplace 2.3 Trillion dollars under their administrations."

You make a good point though. We should come up with some one-liners in case anyone is interviewed. Will do a little digging... (Feel free to do your own.)

My quote above actually isn't fair because it puts all the blame on Rummy. 4th amendment/Patriot Act may be the best way to specifically target him.

Turn it around. What is their excuse for giving him the award? Whatever they credit him with is likely to have unConstitutional elements. Credit him for masterminding the invasion? Undeclared war....etc.

mport1
02-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I think walking out is a great idea. Same applies for all the other statists who will be speaking.

idirtify
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by specsaregood

That we are immature and don't play well with others.

I don’t think it’s immature to disagree with unjust wars and torture, do you?

ronpaulhawaii
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by specsaregood

That is ridiculous question.

We are not talking about "disagreeing"

specsaregood
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what we are all saying.

Inkblots
02-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Here's a brief essay that was linked to on Reason's blog today. I feel it may be relevant to the current discussion.

Know who you are talking to and what they believe. Find out their emotional beltlines and stay above them.

Before speaking, ask: What are you trying to accomplish? How do you plan to do it? Will your plan promote your goals? Why or why not? Do not stand in the way of your own success.

If you flash because you enjoy the exhilaration, find other ways of getting kicks. When you do, you will be more emotionally satisfied and politically effective.

Become politically effective. This will eliminate the desire to prove that nothing can be done.

Devote your energies to finding more effective ways to bring others to the libertarian philosophy. There are too few persuasive libertarians, and becoming one is far nobler ambition than seeing how many hearts and minds you can close.
http://www.mi.lp.org/Lists/SuccessNotebook/DispForm.aspx?ID=10

Inflation
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
When trying to organize and you take volunteers and agent provacateurs into the equation, you are left with an endless number of outcomes. So really, there is no organizing. It's hayekian chaos!

I'd like for us to take special note of anyone that does try and cause a truly provocative disturbance.

Take note of the black boots they are wearing. ;)

http://www.prisonplanet.com/images/august2007/230807shoes.jpg

That yellow thing just means the boots have Vibram soles. Most quality boots do.

http://www.mountainsideview.com/images/vibram.jpg

The answer to hayekian chaos is spontaneous self-organization, resulting from the addition of (creative) energy.

There are two ways to find Rummy's CPAC godel statement:

1) Dress up as a Mit-wit or Hickabee supporter and clap really loud while shouting "Go Rummy, git them Jew hating heathen Moo-slims!" if (when) Rummy starts warmongering.

and/or

2) Start up with the "RON PAUL! RON PAUL! RON PAUL!" chant if (when) Rummy starts warmongering.

The MSM will be unable to resist such bait, they live for tales of conservative infighting. It's the narrative (GOP old fogies vs Tea Party insurgents) they want more than anything, so we simply provide them with a turnkey version, tailored especially to help R* Paul 2012.

MRoCkEd
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Ugh, I will be embarrassed for the movement if people start shouting "Ron Paul."

PreDeadMan
02-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Why not just walk out on Statism all together? Seems more rational to me.

^ :) :) :)

ronpaulhawaii
02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I appreciate creative thinking, but...

1) Dress up as a Mit-wit or Hickabee supporter and clap really loud while shouting "Go Rummy, git them Jew hating heathen Moo-slims!" if (when) Rummy starts warmongering.

I hope such an individual would be much more discreet than this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIx2VopChNk

otherwise it might be kinda embarrassing...

(and the CfL badges won't help...)

idirtify
02-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by idirtify

That is ridiculous question.

We are not talking about "disagreeing"

Yeah, that's exactly what we are all saying.

Hmmm. It would seem we are not exactly all on the same page.

ronpaulhawaii
02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by idirtify

I don't think you recognize the sarcasm of the latter, nor are you addressing the point in the former...

Inkblots
02-02-2011, 12:09 AM

I think you might need to adjust your sarcasm detector.

TheTyke
02-02-2011, 12:09 AM
We need these people to vote for Ron Paul if we want to win the election. How do people even come to the conclusions we can win elections by ticking people off?!!? It boggles my mind... that's how to LOSE elections and is, very literally, what our opponents would like us to do.

I remember when a big group of us were supporting Rand at an event. People were circulating that it was a good idea to boo when Grayson spoke, but Rand asked us not to. So we simply didn't clap... there was wild cheering for Rand, and dead silence for Grayson. Booing would just have been rude and hurt our cause, but this highlighted the enthusiasm gap. If you have to do something, that should be enough. :\

RideTheDirt
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
I say walk out on him. Then again, if I were there and attempted to stay and be a polite slave, I would need a barf bag.

speciallyblend
02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
We need these people to vote for Ron Paul if we want to win the election. How do people even come to the conclusions we can win elections by ticking people off?!!? It boggles my mind... that's how to LOSE elections and is, very literally, what our opponents would like us to do.

I remember when a big group of us were supporting Rand at an event. People were circulating that it was a good idea to boo when Grayson spoke, but Rand asked us not to. So we simply didn't clap... there was wild cheering for Rand, and dead silence for Grayson. Booing would just have been rude and hurt our cause, but this highlighted the enthusiasm gap. If you have to do something, that should be enough. :\

walking out before his speech is better then using flying drones!!

Anti Federalist
02-02-2011, 01:07 AM

I was going to stay out of this thread, but I had to +rep that.

teacherone
02-02-2011, 01:10 AM
if you're going to do it then you better have some amazing pre-scripted material to deliver to the media.

this will definitely grab their attention and may even turn into a BIG story.

if you play your cards right and voice true concerns about Rumsfeld's violations of the constitution while simultaneously plugging the good doctor this could possible be a game changer.

idirtify
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I think you might need to adjust your sarcasm detector.

I guess my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. I don’t get it.

idirtify
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
if you're going to do it then you better have some amazing pre-scripted material to deliver to the media.

this will definitely grab their attention and may even turn into a BIG story.

if you play your cards right and voice true concerns about Rumsfeld's violations of the constitution while simultaneously plugging the good doctor this could possible be a game changer.

Good points.

MegD4Freedom
02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought of the same idea, except I think we should be even more blunt and stand in the back during the presentation of his bullshit award with signs that talk about what the constitution really says about war....

MelissaWV
02-02-2011, 06:13 PM

"We had nothing better to do with our limited time at CPAC than to make the room seem full for Rumsfeld, then walk out so that Paulites can be painted as immature idiots. Really, CPAC is just boring except for the Pauls and our other favorite speakers, and of course voting, and after-parties; we couldn't find a booth or speaker during Rumsfeld's time, so yeah... this was the best we came up with."

I still don't see the point of handing the media two stories that virtually write themselves to choose from.

Rumsfeld's packed house for his award? That's what it'll look like. You're all waiting for your moment to "walk out" but while you're there for the start, you're part of the crowd.

Immature supporters of some kook shouting down the honorable and worthy Rumsfeld? Makes you sick, doesn't it. That is usually worth a blurb on the news. Sometimes it pans out into running for office.

The difference between then and now is that you're going to be at CPAC. You really do have a mission there, and if you really think this makes such a massive statement that anyone of import will take notice and go "Wow! I want to be with THOSE guys!" I suppose you should go ahead.

What will happen is that attention will be drawn to this meaningless ceremony (and Rumsfeld) rather than to the doctors Paul and the outcome (which we all hope goes our way).

I can just hope none of the people I donated money to would be that silly with their time.

vita3
02-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Sheep it up over their @ CPAC

speciallyblend
02-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I suggest everyone as an individual do what they want to and in the end the gop will rise or fall on their own corruption!!

I will boo/cheer accordingly! I suggest the neo-cons/cpac attendees and liberty lovers grow some balls and hold the failed gop establishment accountable! We are not using predator drones here like the gop establishment! we are voicing our opinions and if the gop establishment doesn't want booing and wants cheering. they better shape their asses up asap!!

anyone got a small model drone not armed? i bet that would scare the f out of the neo-cons. I wonder how comfy they would feel having a model drone buzz them in the middle of a speech:) joking of course:)

dannno
02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
"We had nothing better to do with our limited time at CPAC than to make the room seem full for Rumsfeld, then walk out so that Paulites can be painted as immature idiots."

Well to be fair, Rand is speaking right before, so they have all the excuse in the world to be there when the time comes for action.

BuddyRey
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I suggest everyone as an individual do what they want to and in the end the gop will rise or fall on their own corruption!!

I will boo/cheer accordingly! I suggest the neo-cons/cpac attendees and liberty lovers grow some balls and hold the failed gop establishment accountable! We are not using predator drones here like the gop establishment! we are voicing our opinions and if the gop establishment doesn't want booing and wants cheering. they better shape their asses up asap!!

Ditto! The idea of politics is a hollow farce if nobody ever holds their "leaders" accountable, and everyone holds back their righteous indignation out of some misguided idea that politicians are supposed to be venerated and respected above anyone else who makes a common practice of stealing people's money, lives, and freedoms at the point of a gun.

Boo, hiss, yell, whatever. As long as you're not using any form of physical violence, you're perfectly within your right as a tax-slave...I mean uh..."constituent".

Distinguished Gentleman
02-02-2011, 07:52 PM
It would be interesting if people prepared pamphlets explaining all the ways it is ridiculous to call Rumsfeld "a defender of the constitution, and pass it out to others at the conference. Maybe have a rival grassroots constitution award ceremony in another room.

TheTyke
02-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Boo, hiss, yell, whatever. As long as you're not using any form of physical violence, you're perfectly within your right as a tax-slave...I mean uh..."constituent".

Being within your rights doesn't mean something is a good idea or beneficial. I still remember Ron Paul saying "If my supporters cared about me, they wouldn't." If we are actually serious about electing Ron we will not deliberately alienate voters. We're not going to vent our frustrations, make a scene or do what makes us fee good, we are going there to improve Ron's chances - not sabotage them.

It blows my mind we're even having this discussion. Have we learned nothing about how to win in 3 years? We're these people sleeping during Rand's election? Or were they the ones deriving self-satisfaction by tearing him down? Sometimes our biggest obstacle to restoring the Republic seem to be ourselves.

ManifestLiberty
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
To me this is not immature, this is noble.

This is not childish, this is principled.

This is not a joke, this is a statement.

Rumsfeld is a criminal, a liar and a thief of liberty.

Sitting through a ceremony for his recognition is an abomination.

I say go Josh and all prepared to make a stand!

Matt Collins
02-03-2011, 04:44 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/SnrWPP5gkRI/AAAAAAAAZI0/CZBa8HjR26Y/s400/DonaldRumsfeldClown.jpg
http://www.ijtihad.org/rumsfeld.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E8BpJEni77I/SU-9gN4lKMI/AAAAAAAAHVU/Emvonba5A1o/s400/rumsfeld.jpg
http://newsphile.com/rumsfeld.jpg
http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0105/010305rumsfelddonald.jpg

MelissaWV
02-03-2011, 04:52 PM
To me this is not immature, this is noble.

This is not childish, this is principled.

This is not a joke, this is a statement.

Rumsfeld is a criminal, a liar and a thief of liberty.

Sitting through a ceremony for his recognition is an abomination.

I say go Josh and all prepared to make a stand!

Why would Ghandi or Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. be sitting at the awards ceremony to begin with?

Is there absolutely nothing going on at CPAC at that time, and no desire to meet with fellow CPAC-goers? Is it so utterly a vacuum that you're forced to sit in on the first part of Rummy's speech?

It's a general fascination with this sort of "protest," I guess. It seems more effective to simply not be there for the ceremony. Just as people will be coming in after Rand finishes to sit down for the ceremony, there will be people leaving to go to do other things. It's not a statement. It's just how things go at conferences and the like where multiple things are going on at the same time.

Of course people are individually going to do whatever they want. The idea that the alternative, though, is to "sit through" the ceremony is ridiculous. The ceremony is not mandatory. As the point is often made here about an ideal society, you've got all the freedom in the world to go do something more entertaining.

It might be a really good time to use the bathroom, for instance.

sailingaway
02-03-2011, 05:00 PM
It might be a really good time to use the bathroom, for instance.

Definitely better than watching Rumfield being called a defender of the Constitution.