PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Lawmakers Propose Mandatory Gun Ownership Bill

FrankRep
02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
South Dakota Lawmakers Propose Mandating Gun Ownership -- to Make Point About Health Law (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/01/sd-lawmakers-propose-mandating-gun-ownership-make-point-health-law/)

Fox News
February 01, 2011

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun (http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110131/UPDATES/110131031/Bill-would-require-all-S-D-citizens-buy-gun)

Argus Leader
Jan. 31, 2011

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

:D:D:D

roho76
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia has mandatory gun ownership. Crime rates plummeted and their citizens are proud of the law.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1818862/posts

I'm not for mandatory gun ownership but don't say it won't pass. There is a pro gun group, also based Kennsaw, that is trying to get rid of the mandatory ownership along with the mandatory fingerprinting, background checks, and waiting periods.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26027342/detail.html

__27__
02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Redacted.

Pericles
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Not exactly a new idea:

The Militia Act of 1792, Passed May 8, 1792,

An ACT more effectually to provide for the National Defence, by establishing an Uniform Militia throughout the United States.
I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia, by the Captain or Commanding Officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this Act. ........................ That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack.

Acala
02-01-2011, 02:14 PM
To more closely simulate Obamacare it should require every man, woman AND child to buy a new gun every month - forever.

Of course I oppose this law as strongly as a law prohibiting firearms. But it does make an interesting statement.

Stary Hickory
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I like this move as it demonstrates the truly despotic nature of Obamacare. And it's yet more state legislators standing up for the rights of the people. What is not to like. Kudos I applaud this effort wholeheartedly

We have to come together as a republic and reject the Federal Governments abuses.

Southron
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Honestly, is this any worse than forcing someone to pay for our military?

I would argue that with mandatory gun ownership, at least you have something to show for your money.

Vessol
02-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Honestly, is this any worse than forcing someone to pay for our military?

I would argue that with mandatory gun ownership, at least you have something to show for your money.

He didn't introduce it to make it pass, he introduced it to show Obamacare for its retardedness.

But I agree that I'd be against mandatory gun ownership.

Stary Hickory
02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Yep I am against mandatory gun ownership and yet I wholeheartedly support this effort....now if somehow it passed...I would be in the poo poo

Southron
02-01-2011, 03:17 PM
He didn't introduce it to make it pass, he introduced it to show Obamacare for its retardedness.

But I agree that I'd be against mandatory gun ownership.

I realize the intent, but to me it's not outrageous at all if you support everyone paying for military defense.

Zatch
02-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I realize the intent, but to me it's not outrageous at all if you support everyone paying for military defense.

Exactly. I find it funny that so many libertarians act like the healthcare mandate is somehow a much greater evil than a government run option paid for through involuntary taxation. The only difference is that in one situation you are being forced to buy a product from a private business and in the other situation you essentially being forced to buy a product from the government.

roho76
02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
To more closely simulate Obamacare it should require every man, woman AND child to buy a new gun every month - forever.

Of course I oppose this law as strongly as a law prohibiting firearms. But it does make an interesting statement.

It would actually be cheaper to buy a gun every month than it would be to pay for Obamacare.

Acala
02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Exactly. I find it funny that so many libertarians act like the healthcare mandate is somehow a much greater evil than a government run option paid for through involuntary taxation. .

Name ten.

Zatch
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Name ten.

I didn't say libertarians approve of either. I said some think forcing people to buy a product is a greater evil than the government providing the product.

mport1
02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
A great example why initiatory force is never justified. I think it would be great if everybody owned guns but forcing them to is wrong.

FrankRep
02-01-2011, 09:37 PM
A great example why initiatory force is never justified. I think it would be great if everybody owned guns but forcing them to is wrong.

The State Reps. introduced the Gun bill in protest of ObamaCare to make a point.

aGameOfThrones
02-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia has mandatory gun ownership. Crime rates plummeted and their citizens are proud of the law.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1818862/posts

I'm not for mandatory gun ownership but don't say it won't pass. There is a pro gun group, also based Kennsaw, that is trying to get rid of the mandatory ownership along with the mandatory fingerprinting, background checks, and waiting periods.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26027342/detail.html

It's not really (M)andatory, there is an opt-out clause.

Live_Free_Or_Die
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
To make a show of good faith I will propose a conceptual compromise devoted minarchists could consider that would at least move the ball in the right direction.

Firearm owners can opt out of taxation for national defense.

oyarde
02-02-2011, 08:02 PM
It's not really (M)andatory, there is an opt-out clause.

Well , if it was like obamacare the opt out would be for labor unions :) ?

DamianTV
02-02-2011, 08:18 PM
The same way we can solve the Homeless crisis by requiring all Homeless people to buy New Houses!

Or solve the Health Care Crisis by requiring all people to buy Health Care Insurance!

cindy25
02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
this is wrong of course, but I hope it passes because the inevitable challenge could spell an end to mandatory car insurance