PDA

View Full Version : 'Ugly' storm means misery for millions throughout U.S.

tangent4ronpaul
01-31-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/winter/2011-01-31-midwest-winter-storm_N.htm

A monstrous, potentially historic winter storm will hammer the Plains, Midwest, South and Northeast on Tuesday with heavy snow, ice, wind and even tornadoes, leading to canceled flights, dangerous travel conditions and widespread power outages.

"The storm may very well impact a third of the population of the United States — approximately 100 million people," said meteorologist Tim Ballisty of The Weather Channel.

As of late Monday, the National Weather Service had posted winter storm watches and warnings and blizzard warnings in 31 states from New Mexico to Maine.

A foot of snow is possible along a 2,100-mile swath from the southern Plains to coastal New England, according to The Weather Channel. Just to the south of the snow, a stretch of 1,500 miles of significant ice accumulation is likely from the Ozarks to Boston.

"This is a destructive and crippling amount of ice, which will knock out power to potentially hundreds of thousands of customers for days, if not weeks," Ballisty said.
[...]
As of 6 p.m. ET Monday, flight tracking service FlightAware reported that 1,949 flights had been canceled across the USA on Tuesday and 1,191 were canceled for Wednesday.
[...]
"Some areas could pick up to 3 feet of snow," said Mark Ressler of The Weather Channel. ... "The major threat is going to be ice," weather service forecaster Joseph Nield said.

YEACH! :(

-t

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/twc_images/severe_us_440x297.jpg

Rothbardian Girl
01-31-2011, 08:47 PM
This is definitely the largest storm I've ever seen on the radar... Hopefully everyone will be safe, although it would be funny if all the hoopla were over nothing. But I'm sure people will and are getting hammered by this thing.

oyarde
01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
I have freezing rain right now ..... sucks .

trey4sports
01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Here in Saint Louis were supposed to get 1/2 inch of ice with 6-12 inches of snow ON TOP of that......

Son of Detroit
01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
We'll be feeling it in Michigan for sure.

Michael Landon
01-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Mayans, Nostradamus, Revelations, Sitting Bull, etc. I wonder if there is anything to what they predicted? I've seen more natural disasters over the last year than I have the prior 30 years. It seems like there is a 6+ earthquake once every couple of weeks, plus mudslides, floods, blizzards, tornadoes, and ice storms all the time. Plus, a worldwide economic disasters, civil distress, food shortages, viruses, dead birds and fish etc.

It could all be a coincidence but I'm not so sure anymore.

- ML

QueenB4Liberty
01-31-2011, 08:57 PM
I hope it snows in Houston. lol I was in New England for Christmas..I got the first blizzard. It was fun. But I can only imagine how tired everyone is of it.

pcosmar
01-31-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm in the UP.
Winter storm ya say.
Yawn. temps tonite are above 0. :)
:p

Guess I'll cut another tree.

tangent4ronpaul
01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Mayans, Nostradamus, Revelations, Sitting Bull, etc. I wonder if there is anything to what they predicted? I've seen more natural disasters over the last year than I have the prior 30 years. It seems like there is a 6+ earthquake once every couple of weeks, plus mudslides, floods, blizzards, tornadoes, and ice storms all the time. Plus, a worldwide economic disasters, civil distress, food shortages, viruses, etc.

- ML

So who hit the "off" switch on the dead birds and fish? We were getting new reports every 2-3 days for a while, then nothing.

It's this damn alien terraforming, I tell ya!

-t

Lovecraftian4Paul
01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Snowed all day today in Minnesota. I'm not one to complain a lot about the weather, but this winter has been a kicker. Here's to hoping it starts to fade away in another month or two.

oyarde
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
So who hit the "off" switch on the dead birds and fish? We were getting new reports every 2-3 days for a while, then nothing.

It's this damn alien terraforming, I tell ya!

-t

That was me , I control birds & fish :)

oyarde
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Snowed all day today in Minnesota. I'm not one to complain a lot about the weather, but this winter has been a kicker. Here's to hoping it starts to fade away in another month or two.

Yes this winter has been sucky .

noxagol
01-31-2011, 09:18 PM
so much for global warming eh?

oyarde
01-31-2011, 09:20 PM

Yeah , I have freezing rain tonight & below zero Wed. & Thurs. night .

noxagol
01-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah. I work at walmart and we were sold out of everything that made light or heat without electricity and anything that made ice go away as well as milk, bread, and eggs. 100% sold out.

ihsv
01-31-2011, 09:24 PM

The preferred term now is "Climate Change." :)

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/al-gore-thumbs-up.jpg

oyarde
01-31-2011, 09:32 PM
The preferred term now is "Climate Change." :)

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/al-gore-thumbs-up.jpg

Whats it like in Kentucky ? My brother headed to Paducah this morning from Nashville .

Kylie
01-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Mayans, Nostradamus, Revelations, Sitting Bull, etc. I wonder if there is anything to what they predicted? I've seen more natural disasters over the last year than I have the prior 30 years. It seems like there is a 6+ earthquake once every couple of weeks, plus mudslides, floods, blizzards, tornadoes, and ice storms all the time. Plus, a worldwide economic disasters, civil distress, food shortages, viruses, etc.

- ML

You might like this website, Mr. Landon.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

The kids and I have found it quite interesting watching the volcanos and earthquakes go off in the last week.

And tonight there are plane accidents all over the US.

If you click on details, sometimes it takes you to a page that has tabs. One of them is Event Description. Click on that and it will give you an idea of what exactly is going on the area. Some are a big deal, some are not.

Btw, I loved you in Highway to Heaven. http://www.labusas.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif

sparebulb
01-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah. I work at walmart and we were sold out of everything that made light or heat without electricity and anything that made ice go away as well as milk, bread, and eggs. 100% sold out.

The milk, bread, and eggs thing are interesting. What part of the country are you in Noxagol? I take these weather events with a grain of salt because this is winter and large accumulations are always statistically possible. But I have NEVER seen the store out of basic food items in my 46 years on earth. People need to wake up and start thinking about where their food comes from....and stop relying on just Walmart.

Michael Landon
01-31-2011, 09:34 PM

-t

Note to self... add dead birds and fish to my original post.

- ML

ihsv
01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Whats it like in Kentucky ? My brother headed to Paducah this morning from Nashville .

So far nothing yet. We're supposed to get rain first, turning to freezing rain and then ice. The last few ice storms we've had we ended up losing power.

Sola_Fide
01-31-2011, 09:40 PM

We have freezing rain tonight and through Thurs!

AFPVet
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Evil winter weather... evil.

oyarde
01-31-2011, 09:45 PM
So far nothing yet. We're supposed to get rain first, turning to freezing rain and then ice. The last few ice storms we've had we ended up losing power.

I am North of You guys , have it already here . Thats why my brother was headed to Paducah , ice / snow work at some banks .

QueenB4Liberty
01-31-2011, 09:46 PM
That's really fascinating, that website!

Too bad it doesn't tell you what has gone wrong with the planes, just reported incidents.

oyarde
We have freezing rain tonight and through Thurs!

Yeah , hopefully everyones electricity holds out .

Sola_Fide

Oh yeah. It was great. We had no electricity at my house for a week and a half. Had to fire up the wood stove!

brandon
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
If it gives me justification for working from home I love it!

oyarde
01-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah. It was great. We had no electricity at my house for a week and a half. Had to fire up the wood stove!

They charge me 31 dollars a month just to be hooked up .

Michael Landon
01-31-2011, 09:55 PM

Too bad it doesn't tell you what has gone wrong with the planes, just reported incidents.

No kidding. That is an awesome website. Who knew there were so many incidents with planes?

- ML

Kylie
01-31-2011, 09:57 PM

I know. Gotta love the FAA.

dannno
01-31-2011, 09:59 PM
It's been 70+ degrees and sunny for the last 3 weeks here.

dannno
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Yep, real rough January we've been having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSm0UXELm94&NR=1

jclay2
01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm in the UP.
Winter storm ya say.
Yawn. temps tonite are above 0. :)
:p

Guess I'll cut another tree.

Nice pcosmar. To me this is just another blow to the Global Warming Propaganda.

jclay2
01-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Can you imagine if there was ever a real crisis? What do you think your store would look like.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Not so bad yet in Milwaukee anyways. Supposed to be the worst tomorrow, when I have to work :( Hopefully I do not get snowed in at work, which would really suck ass.

tangent4ronpaul
01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
You might like this website, Mr. Landon.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

The kids and I have found it quite interesting watching the volcanos and earthquakes go off in the last week.

And tonight there are plane accidents all over the US.

If you click on details, sometimes it takes you to a page that has tabs. One of them is Event Description. Click on that and it will give you an idea of what exactly is going on the area. Some are a big deal, some are not.

Btw, I loved you in Highway to Heaven. http://www.labusas.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif

Interesting site. Arms depot blew up in Venezuela, Mt. Saint Hellens has indigestion and H5N1 is alive and well in Asia and Legionairs disease is showing up in Australia....

Who wooda thunk!

OTOH, it lists a bus crash in the EU w/ 40 injured, but not the 100 car pileup in North Dakota.

Useful! - thanks!

-t

angelatc
01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
We'll be feeling it in Michigan for sure.

If you're in Ann Arbor, more than 12" is predicted. But I'm already tired of the drama. It's snow. In Michigan. In the winter. I just heard on the news that the last time Detroit's airport closed was on 9/11. We'll be ok.

amonasro
02-01-2011, 12:37 AM
In Chicago they're predicting at least a foot of snow, probably more. And gusts up to 60 mph, which is the kicker that easily pushes wind chills into the negative (and very dangerous) range. The high winds will easily push snow into huge drifts, causing additional problems. Another problem they're warning is high waves coming off Lake Michigan, which have the potential to coat Lakeshore Drive with a thick layer of ice. Not that anyone would be crazy enough to drive in this, but the full 200+ army of snowplows have been deployed and the police and medics are standing by with a fleet of snowmobiles. I haven't seen anything like this in years, and the storm hasn't even started yet.

Kludge
02-01-2011, 12:51 AM
What a pain in the ass. There's still a layer of ice on my sidewalk. I shoveled twice in 24 hours, but took a nap while it was still snowing. Sidewalk is heavily used by kids because school is across the street. Didn't think about it again until after school started the next day, and of course it was all packed down. Pushing snow with a shovel is easy. Actually shoveling it sucks.

Gov't assholes here must plow the roads 20+ times a day. They'll even plow it when there's no precip. and the snow's just melting. As if this city weren't polluted enough. And what's this bullshit with everyone here having a motorized snow-blower? Liberal city my ass... Oh - I haven't had a drink all day...

BamaAla
02-01-2011, 12:59 AM
It's been 70+ degrees and sunny for the last 3 weeks here.

Rub in why don't ya. We've gone from low teen temps to snow for a week to 70 in the last month.

noxagol
02-01-2011, 01:15 AM
The milk, bread, and eggs thing are interesting. What part of the country are you in Noxagol? I take these weather events with a grain of salt because this is winter and large accumulations are always statistically possible. But I have NEVER seen the store out of basic food items in my 46 years on earth. People need to wake up and start thinking about where their food comes from....and stop relying on just Walmart.

St. Louis area.

It rained pretty good all day, which has now turned to ice I'm sure since it has gotten a bit chilly now. Though, as of 1:15AM, there is no snow and it is calm outside.

Jandrsn21
02-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Nearly an inch of solid ice here in Indianapolis! Oh well, school/worked canceled, stocked up on food, and power and internet still on. Not so bad

sparebulb
02-01-2011, 01:58 AM
St. Louis area.

It rained pretty good all day, which has now turned to ice I'm sure since it has gotten a bit chilly now. Though, as of 1:15AM, there is no snow and it is calm outside.

I'm 130 miles north of you. A little snow and freezing drizzle late this afternoon. Just waiting for the rest. I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the driveways on the tractor on Wed. It is supposed to be very cold and very windy.

Sola_Fide
02-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Nearly an inch of solid ice here in Indianapolis! Oh well, school/worked canceled, stocked up on food, and power and internet still on. Not so bad

I have to drive to Columbus IN tomorrow. Should I do it?

Noob
02-01-2011, 02:28 AM
No doubt they well blame it on Global warming and use it as an excuse to pass Cap and Trade and carbon taxes.

ihsv
02-01-2011, 02:39 AM

I wouldn't...

Kludge
02-01-2011, 02:48 AM

Well... I just went outside from as far West in PA as you can go taking the dog for a walk, and even with a half-foot of snow, both the dog & I were sliding all over the road - and the storm only started here maybe an hour and a half ago.

Granted, the conditions further West may be totally different, but I'd recommend staying inside tomorrow unless >5% of your net worth is at stake and you live in squalor.

nobody's_hero
02-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Mitt Romney and his weather machine are trying to ruin CPAC for us.

Romulus
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Supposed to get 12-24" today. This is on top of 1/2" of ice = good times!

Sola_Fide
02-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Im on the road to Indy right now!

Not too bad yet.

Eric21ND
02-01-2011, 07:43 AM
For once ND isn't getting dumped on.

LedHed
02-01-2011, 07:43 AM

These types of extreme weather patterns are EXACTLY what was predicted to happen as a result of GW/GCC, since there is more moisure in the air from increased ocean evaporation. Whether or not it's actually related to GW/GCC or whether it's part of a cyclical weather pattern and affected by things otherwise not considered is part of the controversy.

Jandrsn21
02-01-2011, 08:24 AM

So far not too bad. Still expecting another 1/2 to full inch of freezing rain and then 1-3" of snow on top of that. Semis turning over on the highways, nearly everything is closed. I personally wouldn't, but I don't know your situation, so if the trip is needed and you are prepared for delays, wrecks, etc... Good luck to you, if you decide, and please bring blankets and some food for the trip!

Bruno
02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
These types of extreme weather patterns are EXACTLY what was predicted to happen as a result of GW/GCC, since there is more moisure in the air from increased ocean evaporation. Whether or not it's actually related to GW/GCC or whether it's part of a cyclical weather pattern and affected by things otherwise not considered is part of the controversy.

Global Warming alarmists have said we will have either more severe weather patterns or less severe, colder or warmer temps, more or less rain, more or less hurricanes, or it will all remain the unchanged for a period and then either get worse or less severe.

So far, they've been 100% accurate in those ridiculous predictions.

pcosmar
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Global Warming alarmists have said we will have either more severe weather patterns or less severe, colder or warmer temps, more or less rain, more or less hurricanes, or it will all remain the unchanged for a period and then either get worse or less severe.

So far, they've been 100% accurate in those ridiculous predictions.

There will be rain in the rainy areas, snow in the snowy areas, sun in the sunny areas, and clouds in the cloudy areas.
You know where you live.
;)

Jandrsn21
02-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Global warming is dead. Long live, er, 'Global climate disruption'!

First the predictions were, icecaps melting, sea level rising, and snow less winters. Now since NONE of that has happened, people attach the world global climate disruptions or global climate change to global warming and eventually you can replace global warming. Now every time there is a massive snowstorm, a tsunami, a flood, well it is a global climate disruption, that can obviously be blamed on us. Pay off your indulgences sinner!!! How dare you breathe!!!

LedHed
02-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Hey! It's a free country (sort of). Believe what you want in the face of mounting and overwhelming evidence. ;)

Krugerrand
02-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Hey! It's a free country (sort of). Believe what you want in the face of mounting and overwhelming evidence. ;)

http://turklishtefl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Laughing.jpg

Jandrsn21
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Sounds like the last year's state of the union, you know were obama got laughed at!

lester1/2jr
02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
lol we have a million feet of snow and are getting more today. I haven't left the house in like a month. When it isn't a blizzard it's 50 below zero.

none of this is exaggeration!!

Madly_Sane
02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Anyone seen the movie 'The Day after Tomorrow?"
Maybe all the mass deaths are related to this and it's going to be the end of the world soon :eek:

Madly_Sane
02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
lol we have a million feet of snow and are getting more today. I haven't left the house in like a month. When it isn't a blizzard it's 50 below zero.

none of this is exaggeration!!

Clear exaggeration. :cool:

Rothbardian Girl
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, it wasn't that bad here. There's like a layer of ice and then about two inches of snow on top of that. I was expecting a massive storm like we had last week, when we got like 10 inches of snow, which I think is a lot for my area of PA. School was cancelled today anyway, which is good because it gives me more time to study for my physics midterm!

UtahApocalypse
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Found this pic from Bloomington, IL....

http://beaudodson.smugmug.com/Weather/Blizzard-2011-Illinois-Chase/emptybreadshelvesbloomingtonil/1174165558_YTnDJ-M.jpg

Krugerrand
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Anyone seen the movie 'The Day after Tomorrow?"
Maybe all the mass deaths are related to this and it's going to be the end of the world soon :eek:

A movie that should have been seen the day before yesterday.

I did see the move. :rolleyes:

The title sure sounds like a procrastinator's dream.

amy31416
02-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Nothing significant here yet. It's winter, there's snow and ice, and there may be more. Who'd have thunk it?

The only truly significantly "scary" winter I experienced here was when it went to -17 degrees. Even then, not that big of a deal. If we lose electricity, it'll be a bit of a hassle, but will be an excellent motivator to clean out the refrigerator (and rev up the fireplace).

speciallyblend
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
it is snow get over it geez! first time in history on earth it is gonna snow! bunker down!

sparebulb
02-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Where I live in northern Missouri, it is not uncommon to have little snow in an entire winter. It is not uncommon to have many snow events in a winter. It happens every once in a while where we get a foot or two of snow every few years. Sometimes we have mild temperatures in the winter. Sometimes we have extended periods where the temperature doesn't rise above 0F for a week. Every once in a while is gets to about -20F. In the summer, sometimes it gets to over 110F. This past summer, it didn't get over 95F. Sometimes we get a lot of rain. Sometimes we have drought.

I can clearly see a pattern that can be explained by man-caused global warming. It is verified by the fact that the sun rose in the east this morning.

Southron
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
So far I've been fortunate and haven't been stuck anywhere this year in the snow.

Last year I got stuck in Maryland east of DC for almost 2 days in a random business driveway because of a foot of snow.

If it's possible to drive in it, I need to keep moving.

Acala
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Clear exaggeration. :cool:

He didn't say it was a million feet vertically.

sparebulb
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Found this pic from Bloomington, IL....

http://beaudodson.smugmug.com/Weather/Blizzard-2011-Illinois-Chase/emptybreadshelvesbloomingtonil/1174165558_YTnDJ-M.jpg

THIS should be every American's worst fear. And first priority to prevent.

Acala
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I have ice in my freezer. Are y'all saying you have ice OUTSIDE? Like on the roads and trees and dogs and squirrels and stuff? Creepy!

And what is this "snow" of which you speak?

amy31416
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
I have ice in my freezer. Are y'all saying you have ice OUTSIDE? Like on the roads and trees and dogs and squirrels and stuff? Creepy!

It's that solid form of water, upon which one can ski, sled, make snow angels or snowboard. I'm usually fond of it (until the plows push giant hunks of it into my driveway.)

pcosmar
02-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Sort of normal here,
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2064/2095499249_f6fba9f62e_z.jpg?zz=1

Kludge
02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
THIS should be every American's worst fear. And first priority to prevent.

No kidding - sometimes I think the news & shopping outlets work together to create these irrational panics where people believe they need 100 loaves of bread to survive a snowstorm.

Buy flour, assholes!

LedHed
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Sort of normal here,

Incredible!!! This is exactly what I pictured you would look like!!! LOL!!!

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Sort of normal here,

The dog likes it.

http://www.fluffyfeet.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/novofundlandec.jpg

pcosmar
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Incredible!!! This is exactly what I pictured you would look like!!! LOL!!!

The "look" is highly changeable.
when you see me.
;)

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
No kidding - sometimes I think the news & shopping outlets work together to create these irrational panics where people believe they need 100 loaves of bread to survive a snowstorm.

Buy flour, assholes!

Kludge is sober toady.

RyanRSheets
02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
So far, in Louisville, all I have seen is rain. Rain? What a freaking jipp!

Kludge
02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
What a freaking jipp!

*gyp

For Gypsies. Get your cultural slurs correct!

axiomata
02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
They closed my office and sent me home. I only got stuck twice and spun out once on the way home.

dannno
02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
It's that solid form of water, upon which one can ski, sled, make snow angels or snowboard. I'm usually fond of it (until the plows push giant hunks of it into my driveway.)

surfing....way more fun than skiing/snowboarding.. bodyboarding....way more fun than sledding..

BUT...

You can surf in Michigan, in the winter:

http://www.nosaltsurf.com/Home_Page.php

lester1/2jr
02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
http://twitpic.com/3vhi7c It's just gonna snow indefinately from now on. We are going to evolve into snow people.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 02:41 PM
http://twitpic.com/3vhi7c It's just gonna snow indefinately from now on. We are going to evolve into snow people.

I can't wait!

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00327/pg-14-monsters-inc-_327345s.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QQQ6MqtcE30/TRJuH4qyotI/AAAAAAAAAd8/i39mitk0CuM/s400/AbominableSnowman.jpg

amy31416
02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
surfing....way more fun than skiing/snowboarding.. bodyboarding....way more fun than sledding..

BUT...

We have windsurfing (on ice AND water)...that doesn't involve sharks or other chompy bastards (depending on the company you keep.)

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM

BUT...

Bah, noobs...

Heh, I know this guy...VVV

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/114/291914154_081629eb25.jpg

http://img.youtube.com/vi/7s1tI2F8skw/0.jpg

PS - only kidding, that's bad ass, surfing in the winter like that.

pcosmar
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM

BUT...

LoL
Don't much like hearing "Can't "up here.

oyarde
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Well , that is where I am today , only been in the ditch once in 15 miles .

Sentient Void
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
The government should pass legislation that proclaims by fiat that it stop snowing. I'm sure it'll work, too!

I figured we already effectively banned drugs, prostitution, a lot of immigration, et cetera... why not add 'snowing' to the list?

Comon. It *has* to work. Clearly our omniscient & omnipotent leaders in Washington DC think they so, so why not?

oyarde
02-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Kludge is sober toady.

I feel for him , me too.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
If I we had some clear damn ice, I'd be out doing this (buddy of a buddy of mine took this video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6Wi9LK_kU

oyarde
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
So far, in Louisville, all I have seen is rain. Rain? What a freaking jipp!

Drive fifty minutes North ...

Sentient Void
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Weirs Beach FTW.

Brian4Liberty
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
All this talk about snow is making me cold. Time to take off the shirt and go outside to work on the tan...:cool:

Fredom101
02-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Global Warming!

65 Degrees here in paradisical San Diego. ;)

oyarde
02-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Im on the road to Indy right now!

Not too bad yet.

If you are ever to be up to Columbus on a weekend let me know .

2young2vote
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I want more snow. Right now in Marquette we probably only have a foot or less. Three feet would be fine.

dannno
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
We have windsurfing (on ice AND water)...that doesn't involve sharks or other chompy bastards (depending on the company you keep.)

Wind surfing not nearly as fun as surfing. Nothing is fun as fun as surfing, not skydiving, not nothin.. well, almost nothin...

That's why surfing is the only true religion.

Fox McCloud
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm waiting for the inevitable "this will be good for the economy--a very effective stimulus that can create a lot of new jobs" from Krugman or the likes of his ilk.

heavenlyboy34
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Not to show off and rub it in y'all's face, but here it's 62 degrees-with a rather chilly wind. No snow or rain in sight. The coldest it'll be this week is 49 on Wednesday. :cool:

heavenlyboy34
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm waiting for the inevitable "this will be good for the economy--a very effective stimulus that can create a lot of new jobs" from Krugman or the likes of his ilk.

Well, there's always the plow drivers and salt truck drivers who will be employed now-not to mention the winter-wear producers. ;)

CaliforniaMom
02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Weather like this makes me glad I live in California

dannno
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfJrINTs7wI

Fox McCloud
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Well, there's always the plow drivers and salt truck drivers who will be employed now-not to mention the winter-wear producers. ;)

and don't forget, it'll stimulate the auto manufacturers, generator producers, food producers, candle-makers, tree cutters, medical providers, police, firemen, and construction companies. Just imagine, if the storm continues on forever, then tons of new businesses will crop up that will act as safe+advanced delivery/transportation agents too---even more jobs!

Wow! I can't believe it took this storm to do it, but I think I'm finally purged of my infantile and silly Austrian ways--I sure hope this storm sticks around until the end of time, as it will be an incessant stimulus to the economy....Nothing could be better for it, especially at a time like this!

mello
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I live in Milwaukee (couple of blocks from the lakefront)
& it's just gonna suck tonight & tomorrow. And to top it off,
I heard the low was going to be -2 tomorrow (wind chill
will make it feel like it's -15) and I already friggin' shoveled
6"+ this morning.

Update: (1:50 am)
It's f**king nuts outside!!! Lightning, snowdrifts in the street,
50+mph winds. Local news clip said it was snowing 2-3 inches
per damn hour!!! I haven't seen a snowstorm like this since I was
a kid.

noxagol
02-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Still no snow here. I look at radar from weather.com, seems where I live is caught in the band between rain and snow, so there is like 3 inches of ice/sleet on the ground.

PeacePlan
02-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Weather like this makes me glad I live in California

I would rather have the snow and cold..........

ihsv
02-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, there's always the plow drivers and salt truck drivers who will be employed now... ;)

Ovah-tahm! Not only will they have to do something now, but they get paid extra. Municipal workers paradise. :)

MRK
02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
and don't forget, it'll stimulate the auto manufacturers, generator producers, food producers, candle-makers, tree cutters, medical providers, police, firemen, and construction companies. Just imagine, if the storm continues on forever, then tons of new businesses will crop up that will act as safe+advanced delivery/transportation agents too---even more jobs!

Wow! I can't believe it took this storm to do it, but I think I'm finally purged of my infantile and silly Austrian ways--I sure hope this storm sticks around until the end of time, as it will be an incessant stimulus to the economy....Nothing could be better for it, especially at a time like this!

Well that settles it. The only responsible thing to do is to borrow $100 million from overseas lenders so that we can pay a multi-national corporation to use their economy-boosting Storm Cloud Seeding technology and create a perpetual storm across America. There will be crises aplenty that Rahm Emanuel and others in the White House will not let go to waste. We would be lost without such brave leaders.

moostraks
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Wind surfing not nearly as fun as surfing. Nothing is fun as fun as surfing, not skydiving, not nothin.. well, almost nothin...

That's why surfing is the only true religion.

Your the guy who was transplanted to Miami in the '80's and wrote surf naked all over my science book aren't you? I'll have you know I got in big trouble for that book!!!!:p

moostraks
02-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Buy flour, assholes!

But whatever will I do when the power goes out? My bread machine won't work! J/K However cooking that kind of thing in a fireplace is a bit tricky, much less the top of a kerosene heater....

Seraphim
02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Slap him with a broken window....I mean the broken window fallacy.

amy31416
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
But whatever will I do when the power goes out? My bread machine won't work! J/K However cooking that kind of thing in a fireplace is a bit tricky, much less the top of a kerosene heater....

A cast iron skillet will simplify things immensely. We have a flat-top cast-iron skillet...just take the same bread dough, roll it out into a flat round and cook for about 3 minutes on one side, 2-3 on the other (depending on thickness). If it puffs up, you have pita bread, if it doesn't--you have flat bread. :)

Great and easy substitute for regular bread. And the kids will find it fun if they can get it to puff (hint, don't use oil on the skillet if you want pita, use oil if you want more of a flatbread.)

Danke
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Pussies.

This is where I'll be this weekend:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/ice-fishing-4a.jpg

Danke
02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
What a pain in the ass. There's still a layer of ice on my sidewalk. I shoveled twice in 24 hours, but took a nap while it was still snowing. Sidewalk is heavily used by kids because school is across the street. Didn't think about it again until after school started the next day, and of course it was all packed down. Pushing snow with a shovel is easy. Actually shoveling it sucks.

Gov't assholes here must plow the roads 20+ times a day. They'll even plow it when there's no precip. and the snow's just melting. As if this city weren't polluted enough. And what's this bullshit with everyone here having a motorized snow-blower? Liberal city my ass... Oh - I haven't had a drink all day...

Glad you have been put to work. At least you have a purpose. Try salt on the ice.

tangent4ronpaul
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
EXPERIMENTAL WEATHER MODIFICATION COMING TO YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, SOON

By Rosalind Peterson
November 2, 2007
NewsWithViews.com

Prepare yourself for more water shortages, floods, droughts, and a sharp decline in food supplies in the United States when U.S. Senate Bill 1807 & U.S. House Bill 3445, that were introduced on July 17, 2007, are voted into law. These identical bills, titled: “Weather Mitigation Research and Development Policy Authorization Act of 2007”, are moving forward at a rapid rate in Committees on Commerce, Science and Transportation. Please note that these bills were not referred to Committees on Agriculture, Natural Resources, the Environmental Protection Agency, or Forestry, and that you were not invited to debate the merits of these bills by your elected representatives.

“It is the purpose of this act to develop and implement a comprehensive and coordinated national weather mitigation policy and a national cooperative Federal and State program of weather mitigation and research.” The Board of Directors will be comprised of eleven members and only one member shall be a representative of the Department of Agriculture. There are no members of the public to be appointed to this Board, no EPA representatives, no Natural Resources or Forestry representatives, and there are no provisions for county, state, public, or agricultural oversight of these programs prior to implementation.

Experimental Weather Modification (or “mitigation” which is not defined in these bills), can affect all of us by reducing water supplies and changing agricultural crop production cycles (micro-climates), while reducing crop production and water availability. Since most experimental weather modification programs use chemicals released into the atmosphere the public could be subjected to increasingly toxic or unknown substances that could have negative effects on agricultural, drinking water supplies, crops, and trees. If the weather is changed in one location it may have severe adverse consequences in another region, county or state. And who is going to decide the type of weather modification experimentation, who it will benefit, and who will suffer the negative consequences of these actions? And will one state or region “steals” the rain or snow that would normally go to another state by using these “weather modification schemes” as is happening from current weather modification programs?

Many current and ongoing weather modification programs (50+ listed by NOAA each year-note the ones listed in this bill), are already changing the climate in many regions of the United States. Since most Americans have not been made aware of these programs it is easy to blame severe climate disturbances on “global warming theories” or climate change. These events are causing an overwhelming urge to “mitigate” current weather problems with increased weather modification experimentation, instead of examining local micro-climate changes that are caused by current and ongoing programs. It would be easier to stop these experimental programs than to add new programs without a clear understanding of current and future synergistic effects.

Senate Bill 1807 does not address these issues but intends to implement more experimental weather modification programs without a national debate or public oversight. Terry Krauss, Project Manager for North Dakota based Weather Modification, Inc., owns a large fleet of aircraft and conducts cloud seeding projects in more than a dozen countries around the world. Many private companies, universities, and government agencies modify the weather in the United States, and in other countries. These programs could clearly be negatively affecting the weather in the United States and exacerbating global climate change.
[...]

http://www.newswithviews.com/Peterson/rosalind8.htm

moostraks
02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
A cast iron skillet will simplify things immensely. We have a flat-top cast-iron skillet...just take the same bread dough, roll it out into a flat round and cook for about 3 minutes on one side, 2-3 on the other (depending on thickness). If it puffs up, you have pita bread, if it doesn't--you have flat bread. :)

Great and easy substitute for regular bread. And the kids will find it fun if they can get it to puff (hint, don't use oil on the skillet if you want pita, use oil if you want more of a flatbread.)

:) I think I actually have a recipe floating around in one of my books for bread in a can which makes a loaf. We own both a wood cook stove and a kerosene stove (I have an irrational obsession with antique stoves-my daily stove is from 1950's and electric). I still need to get the other two hooked up so we don't have to cook in the fireplace in a pinch.

Not so sure the pita/flat bread recipe would fly here. We did pita bread once a few years back and there was a whole lot of complaining going on. They enjoy wheat bread but pita was just too dry for them I think. Of course beggars can't be choosers.

mello
02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I woke up & found a scale model replica of the Himalayas
in front of my apartment building. It looks like it's 5-6 feet
tall.

tangent4ronpaul
02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
:) I think I actually have a recipe floating around in one of my books for bread in a can which makes a loaf. We own both a wood cook stove and a kerosene stove (I have an irrational obsession with antique stoves-my daily stove is from 1950's and electric). I still need to get the other two hooked up so we don't have to cook in the fireplace in a pinch.

Not so sure the pita/flat bread recipe would fly here. We did pita bread once a few years back and there was a whole lot of complaining going on. They enjoy wheat bread but pita was just too dry for them I think. Of course beggars can't be choosers.

There is a good, mostly European, tradition of cooking stew over a fireplace. Just keep adding stuff and you may be eating a bit of what your ancestors ate hundreds of years ago....

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I woke up & found a scale model replica of the Himalayas
in front of my apartment building. It looks like it's 5-6 feet
tall.

Snow plows visited you, hu? I hate that... not only do I get to dig out my car, but I get to dig out everything from the road too :(

-t

Anti Federalist
02-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Pure awesomeness in this stove.

Comes with a hot water heat exchanger.

Wood heat FTW

http://www.antiquestoves.com/kitchenqueen/images/const/12.jpg

http://www.antiquestoves.com/kitchenqueen/index.html

Trigonx
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I got 23.2 inches here in the south eastern corner(Kenosha) of Wisconsin. Snow drifts up to 10 feet high. Everything is basically shut down except a few gas stations.

pcosmar
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Mine, Not in use at the moment.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2621299080_de7dd70b3f_z.jpg

This one IS hot at the moment.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2620476281_59b4a7c3e8_z.jpg

Right behind me and keeping my back warm.

HOLLYWOOD
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
It's all coming to an end...

http://c0395985.cdn2.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/phil-no-shadow-2011.jpg

fisharmor
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Line the inside of a cardboard box with aluminum foil.
The size that a 24 pack of bottled beer comes in works pretty well.
Start some charcoal briquettes.
When they get white, shovel about a dozen onto the ground.
Get a wire cookie rack or something that will stand about 4-6" above the coals.
Place bread pan on the wire rack.
Cover the coals and bread with the foil-lined box.

Voila. I've made pie that way.
Bread's easy.

oyarde
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Well , I survived yesterday driving around on about an inch of ice in Southern Indiana , only in the ditch once , guy I went to high school with pulled me out with a ford . Thermostat got stuck three times , had to shut it down for a minute . Made it everywhere I had to go , probably drove a little less than 50 miles and took about two hours . What a day...

dannno
02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Line the inside of a cardboard box with aluminum foil.
The size that a 24 pack of bottled beer comes in works pretty well.
Start some charcoal briquettes.
When they get white, shovel about a dozen onto the ground.
Get a wire cookie rack or something that will stand about 4-6" above the coals.
Place bread pan on the wire rack.
Cover the coals and bread with the foil-lined box.

Voila. I've made pie that way.
Bread's easy.

Do the pies and breads get a smokey flavor?

fisharmor
02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Do the pies and breads get a smokey flavor?

Not if you let the coals go white first.
Charcoal in general is amazingly clean - even the lump charcoal.
Some Blacksmiths also prefer lump charcoal to anthracite coal because the only thing charcoal introduces to the equation is trace carbon, which for iron is generally a good thing.
The briquettes are preferable for cooking because they add lime to the mix that turns them white when any remaining noxious shit is burned off.
Absence of noxious shit = no smoky flavor.
It's why I always try to add mesquite to my briquettes - once you get the coals going, it's just heat, with no additional flavor at all, so it helps to put some back in sometimes.

I have a buddy who has made a couple wood ovens as well. Same idea, but you need to get the wood good n' burned down, so you're just left with coals.

mello
02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Snow plows visited you, hu? I hate that... not only do I get to dig out my car, but I get to dig out everything from the road too :(

-t

The snowplow did show up but that mountain range was between the sidewalk & my apartment.
The city plow just plowed the very center of the road which left a wall of snow about 2-3 feet tall
& about 10 feet deep from the edge of my driveway into the street. I was out there for 7 hours.
When I got back inside I noticed that the bottom 6 inches of my jeans were frozen solid. Here's
a pic:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/fmello/snow.jpg

The snow reached the top of the tire & pushed out 10 feet into the street. It took me about 4 hours
just to get to that point.

Bruno
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
^^^ Dude!! That is unbelieveable! What an epic day shoveling!!

+ rep for the effort

noxagol
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I just ripped the handle off of my dads truck i was driving trying to open the door....

Michael Landon
02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
To all who are currently dealing with the blizzard, I would like to welcome you all to the typical northern Minnesota and northern Wisconsin winter. :)

- ML from the tip of Lake Superior

oyarde
02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I just ripped the handle off of my dads truck i was driving trying to open the door....

I once had an S 10 that I went through several handles . I started using passenger side when snow / ice , then I would unlock drivers side and push open . This way , if I broke one it was on passenger side .

mello
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Here's video:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid125.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fp48%2Ffmello%2Fsnow-1.mp4">

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/fmello/?action=view&current=snow-1.mp4

After 7 hours of dealing with this crap my spine is trying to reenact that scene
from Aliens except it's trying to rip out of my back instead of my chest.
PS. I live just north of downtown Milwaukee. Please use this if any of your
friends or family have the insane urge to move here.

(Anyone know why the embedded video is not working? I also added a direct link.)

noxagol
02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I once had an S 10 that I went through several handles . I started using passenger side when snow / ice , then I would unlock drivers side and push open . This way , if I broke one it was on passenger side .

What really gets me is I was using it earlier today and opened it just fine. There was no snow or ice or rain to freeze it closed.

oyarde
02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
What really gets me is I was using it earlier today and opened it just fine. There was no snow or ice or rain to freeze it closed.

They are expensive and hard to change too .

noxagol
02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
They are expensive and hard to change too .

Well, it was too dark to see the damage so hopefully I can just pop it back in. I dunno.

oyarde
02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, it was too dark to see the damage so hopefully I can just pop it back in. I dunno.

I always ended up having to buy a new one . There was one thin pc. on each end and it would snap. Good Luck !

Brian4Liberty
02-02-2011, 10:41 PM
My seven day forecast: :D

http://radar.cbslocal.com/kpix/5day_large.jpg

Anti Federalist
02-02-2011, 10:50 PM
My seven day forecast: :D

http://radar.cbslocal.com/kpix/5day_large.jpg

About the same as it was when I was living in South Florida.

Boring...;)

TomtheTinker
02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Top 101 cities with the highest average snowfall in a year (population 50,000+)

1. Syracuse, NY (housing, pop. 140,658): 115.6 in
2. Clay, NY (housing, pop. 58,836): 115.6 in
3. Anchorage, AK (housing, pop. 278,700): 114.0 in

4. Utica, NY (housing, pop. 59,082): 108.2 in
5. Flagstaff, AZ (housing, pop. 58,213): 100.3 in
6. Coconino, AZ (housing, pop. 74,488): 100.3 in
7. Cheektowaga, NY (housing, pop. 79,988): 93.6 in
8. Amherst, NY (housing, pop. 116,773): 93.6 in
9. Buffalo, NY (housing, pop. 276,059): 93.6 in
10. Niagara Falls, NY (housing, pop. 52,326): 93.6 in

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=277440

I live in good old Utica,NY..good times...this storm didn't hit us to bad though..happy to some what sit it out.

mello
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
I think Milwaukee is ranked 3rd in snowfall when it comes to major metropolitan cities.
I think Cleveland is 1st & Minneapolis-St. Paul is 2nd.

Brian4Liberty
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
About the same as it was when I was living in South Florida.

Boring...;)

Actually this is unusual for this time of year in Central/North California. We've had it for the past several weeks, and it's like Spring. And luckily, we have had unusually high rainfall when it does rain, so none of the ever present drought talk. Last year we didn't get good sun until late June!