PDA

View Full Version : Doctor runs "Donations Only" clinic

Nate-ForLiberty
01-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Shoebox Used To Collect Contributions

ATLANTIC, Iowa -- Dr. Keith Swanson, 78, decided to forego retirement. Instead, he reopened his small Iowa clinic and opted not to charge 99 percent of his patients.
That was 12 years ago. The "donations only" office, a half block from Atlantic's town square, has been open ever since.
"I've always enjoyed helping people," Swanson said.
Swanson doesn't have any hobbies. He said he thought about working for free, overseas, but his wife Berniece thought differently.
"She said, 'You don't need to go somewhere and do missionary work,'" Swanson said.
"And I said, 'If you want to volunteer, just stay right here, and open the office back up,'" Berniece Swanson said.
To cover their expenses, the Swansons crafted a shoebox, wrapped in red tape, to welcome contributions. On average, patients donate $10.
"Many people have lost their jobs. And they've lost their insurance," Swanson said.
Swanson sees roughly 150 patients every week without appointments. Some are from Atlantic, others come from elsewhere.
"I saw a lady from Ackworth the other day," Swanson recalled. "I said, 'Where in the world is Ackworth?'"
http://www.ketv.com/2011/0131/26674561_240X180.jpg
Swanson said he has no plans to quit what he's doing any time soon.
"I always tell people, the last day -- if I walk down the hall and die, you'll know I'm not going to be here tomorrow."
As the rest of the country debates the costs of health care, Swanson said he wishes others would learn from his philosophy of medicine.
"The fun of life is giving, and most people miss the fun of life," Swanson said. "Money is the least important thing. If people would forget about money, and provide service, it would be a wonderful world."
The only service not covered by Swanson are Department of Transportation physicals. Due to all the paperwork, and the specific battery of tests, Swanson said he charges $60.

http://www.ketv.com/r/26671354/detail.html

QueenB4Liberty
01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
What a great guy. It'd be nice to see more of these pop up.

tangent4ronpaul
01-31-2011, 05:51 PM
OK, can someone remind me again why we NEED Obamacare???

oyarde
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
That is a Geat American !

QueenB4Liberty
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Because the government can do things better than you can of course! Or that silly thing people call the market.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-31-2011, 05:57 PM

How DARE you ask such a question!!! . . . where's my f***in' taser.

bwlibertyman
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
awesome!

dannno
01-31-2011, 06:03 PM
"Money is the least important thing. If people would forget about money, and provide service, it would be a wonderful world."

That part sounds like my Zeitgeist roommate.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
That part sounds like my Zeitgeist roommate.

I didn't take that to mean get rid of money, but simply to not be solely motivated by it.

dannno
01-31-2011, 06:21 PM
I didn't take that to mean get rid of money, but simply to not be solely motivated by it.

Ya I know.. huge difference, same language, causes confusion for well meaning people.