PDA

View Full Version : My County Sherriff unexpectedly retires yesterday, and today the SBI is investigating.

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2011, 04:04 PM
ETA: I was totally wrong on this. I thought I couldn't do anything because of existing law regarding the filling vacancies for Sheriff. It occurred to me that re-writing existing law was now my job, lol. So it is in fact my business to call for a special election in Franklin County for Sheriff. I'd have to be the one introducing it as local legislation, since I'm the only House Rep in the County. It's actually what I'm supposed to do.

OY! So last night the County Sherriff of Franklin County NC Sherriff Green retires citing health reasons. Today it comes out that the SBI is investigating Franklin County Sherriff's Dept for "missing money" and I get a constituent e-mail that I 'have to get involved.'

Problem for me is, of course, there is no Constitutional authority for a State Legislator to monkey around in a County Sherriff scandal. Sure, I could just insert myself into the drama, but that's what those media-addicted sickos do because they want more press.

About the limit of my authority here is to call for a special election to elect a new Sherriff rather than just let the County Commission do it. Much more than that and it's just bogus feel-good get-my-face-on-camera nonsense. :mad:

Oh well, I'll peek around to see what I can do "be involved' without making a spectical. All I really care about here is that the next Sherriff be elected, not appointed.

http://www.wral.com/golo/page/1896337/?id=9032193

oyarde
01-31-2011, 04:12 PM
OY! So last night the County Sherriff of Franklin County NC Sherriff Green retires citing health reasons. Today it comes out that the SBI is investigating Franklin County Sherriff's Dept for "missing money" and I get a constituent e-mail that I 'have to get involved.'

Problem for me is, of course, there is no Constitutional authority for a State Legislator to monkey around in a County Sherriff scandal. Sure, I could just insert myself into the drama, but that's what those media-addicted sickos do because they want more press.

About the limit of my authority here is to call for a special election to elect a new Sherriff rather than just let the County Commission do it. Much more than that and it's just bogus feel-good get-my-face-on-camera nonsense. :mad:

Oh well, I'll peek around to see what I can do "be involved' without making a spectical. All I really care about here is that the next Sherriff be elected, not appointed.

http://www.wral.com/golo/page/1896337/?id=9032193

Yes , elected would be better than appointing an ass kisser . How much time did the other sheriff have left on his term?

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Yes , elected would be better than appointing an ass kisser . How much time did the other sheriff have left on his term?

3.5 years, he was just re-elected in 2010

oyarde
01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
3.5 years, he was just re-elected in 2010

Then , you really do need an election ..... I was thinking , maybe an appointment could not do much damage if only a short time remaining .

oyarde
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
How much " missing money " ?

Vessol
01-31-2011, 04:21 PM
You shouldn't get involved Gunny, that's my opinion. You have not authority on the matter and it's the county's issue.

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
How much " missing money " ?

Article doesn't say.

speciallyblend
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
You shouldn't get involved Gunny, that's my opinion. You have not authority on the matter and it's the county's issue.

i tend to agree ^^^^^^, if the county really trys to stop a natural election process? then you might have to consider but at this point have you talked to any of the county commissioners? the drama begins but you shouldn't have to step in unless the county gov is blatantly trying to manipulate the sheriffs office!! If that is your role?
edit if the county is for an election? then i would support the election!

evilfunnystuff
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
If you have no authority then you should use the opportunity to explain where the authority resides

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
i tend to agree ^^^^^^, if the county really trys to stop a natural election process? then you might have to consider but at this point have you talked to any of the county commissioners? the drama begins but you shouldn't have to step in unless the county gov is blatantly trying to manipulate the sheriffs office!! If that is your role?

No, I've already told my people on the ground there that my office has no Constitutional Authority to interviene except to offer a bill for a special election when that time comes.

vita3
01-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Common Sense rules If the dude (sheriff) was stealing a decent amount of $ taxpayers $, he should be fired & go to jail

Travlyr
01-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Gunny, I would think you could look into accounting methods to find out how he accomplished his theft and seek ways to make it more difficult.

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2011, 10:22 PM
hey! I'm fairly guessing that calling for a special election is my job here.

ronpaulhawaii
01-31-2011, 10:26 PM
If you have no authority then you should use the opportunity to explain where the authority resides

^^^this

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
No, this is what we do, really. write local legislation for special situations that don't fit written law. That's why they call em lawmakers. I'm the guy who files a bill for a special election, and that's actually the way it's supposed to work...

TCE
01-31-2011, 11:07 PM
The only snag comes with responding to your constituent. I mean, it's pretty dissatisfying for he/she to receive a response that effectively states, "there's nothing I can do." Your only real option appears to be to explain the situation you're in about how it's outside of your scope of authority.

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2011, 11:20 PM
The only snag comes with responding to your constituent. I mean, it's pretty dissatisfying for he/she to receive a response that effectively states, "there's nothing I can do." Your only real option appears to be to explain the situation you're in about how it's outside of your scope of authority.

But it's not, really. I thought I couldn't do anything because of existing law. Not the Constitution. Changing existing law is what I now do for a living.

speciallyblend
02-01-2011, 12:08 AM
No, I've already told my people on the ground there that my office has no Constitutional Authority to interviene except to offer a bill for a special election when that time comes.

kewl