PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire Bill Could Lead To Adoption of Approval Voting

DamianTV
01-30-2011, 05:14 PM
http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/01/30/1911232/New-Hampshire-Bill-Could-Lead-To-Adoption-of-Approval-Voting

"The people at FreeKeene report: 'Four Republican state representatives have sponsored a bill that would replace first-past-the-post voting with approval voting for all state offices and presidential primaries. Under this system, voters would select every candidate they approve of (regardless of party), and the candidate with the highest overall vote total wins. This reduces strategic voting, and would often make elections easier for moderate and libertarian candidates. The bill, HB240, will have a public hearing Tuesday, February 1st, with the House Election Law committee.'"

Finally something good is actually in the news!

ItsTime
01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
There are many HUGE things about to happen in New Hampshire. Hold on to your seat. Republicans have super majority, in both houses, with 3/4ths of those being libertarian leaning republicans.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-30-2011, 06:19 PM
There are many HUGE things about to happen in New Hampshire. Hold on to your seat. Republicans have super majority, in both houses, with 3/4ths of those being libertarian leaning republicans.

Well there will be more of that if you do not disparage the movement which made that possible. Just sayin'. :p

libertybrewcity
01-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Can someone explain how this is different from regular elections? Not sure I understand approval voting..

ItsTime
01-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Well there will be more of that if you do not disparage the movement which made that possible. Just sayin'. :p

You know those anarchists, that are acting like children in the Free State movement, dont vote right?

Do not kid yourself that the free state or free keene was the driving force behind the massive republican take over. It is the same type of backlash as when the democrats took over 2 years ago. Lets just make the best of it while we can.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
You know those anarchists, that are acting like children in the Free State movement, dont vote right?

Do not kid yourself that the free state or free keene was the driving force behind the massive republican take over. It is the same type of backlash as when the democrats took over 2 years ago. Lets just make the best of it while we can.

I am not merely talking about Free Keene, they are but one part of the FSP. I am saying that in many of your posts you denigrate the whole of the FSP and the people who want to move there and/or all ready have.

I am not saying that they were the sole motivation behind the switch from GOP to Democrat, but that the people elected (that is the types of people), are of the FSP variety, and I would hasten to add that the NHLA which started under the FSP watch is responsible for much of the switch. There would be no Jenn Coffey elected without the FSP, or the other dozens of FSP'ers elected and long-time libertarian activists elected. This is all happening with a few thousand movers, imagine what will happen when the FSP reaches 5,000 early movers? What about when 15,000 get there? Could you imagine the impact of 15,000 libertarian activists in such a state as of New Hampshire? Hey, if you do not want us libertarians, then I'll go to Wyoming or MT :p

ItsTime
01-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey, if you do not want us libertarians, then I'll go to Wyoming or MT :p

I would I have a problem with Libertarians moving to New Hampshire? I only have a gripe about those who act like buffoons and are counter productive. I am friends with many people who are members of the Free State Project.

Where in New Hampshire are you?

FSP-Rebel
01-30-2011, 07:32 PM
^ftw

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-30-2011, 07:53 PM
I would I have a problem with Libertarians moving to New Hampshire? I only have a gripe about those who act like buffoons and are counter productive. I am friends with many people who are members of the Free State Project.

Where in New Hampshire are you?

My terminal doesn't kick in until July/August (assuming I do not sell any leave). I will most likely be living around the Durham area as I will be putting in my admissions for winter semester @ UNH pretty soon. It's about 90% certain at this point, though I may decide to wait another year (My mother would love to see me back home for one more year...lol) before I move to NH if I want to save up some more...

I haven't really given too much thought yet about what part of NH I would really like to live (after school)...probably somewhere a bit more northern towards the mountains. I heard they are in need of more activists up that way. :p

Agorism
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
idk what to think of this.