PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut National Guard heading to Egypt

sharpsteve2003
01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Groton - Connecticut National Guard Detachment 2, Company I, 185th Aviation Regiment of Groton has mobilized and will deploy to the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt, to support the Multinational Force and Observers.

http://www.theday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20110124%2FNWS09%2F301249955%2F-1%2Fnws

http://states.ng.mil/sites/CT/Press/Pages/2011-1-15_SherpaUnittoDeploytoSinaiPeninsula.aspx

Deployed 2 weeks ago January 15, 2011. How very convenient.

Anti Federalist
01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Ugh...

hazek
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Obviously an issue of national security.. :rolleyes:

sharpsteve2003
01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Updated post with this

http://states.ng.mil/sites/CT/Press/Pages/2011-1-15_SherpaUnittoDeploytoSinaiPeninsula.aspx

Deployed 2 weeks ago January 15, 2011. How very convenient.

devil21
01-30-2011, 02:32 PM
^^^^^
That sure is convenient isn't it? Sounds like the Egyptian revolt was making its way through the intelligence channels for a while.

The Feds can't have their billions invested in Mubarak go down in flames to a bunch of commoners without a fight.

sailingaway
01-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Oh, absolutely!

Cowlesy
01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Is this a routine mission? It seems like it would be, but I have zero idea either way. Can we get our guys out of there ASAP?? They are a C-23 Sherpa unit afterall.

MelissaWV
01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
inb4 tinfoil hattedness saying these are the looters :eek:

Marching overseas in the continuing effort to make enemies out of common folk.

AFPVet
01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Seriously?

nobody's_hero
01-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Probably going there to "make sure that U.S. citizens have a way out of Egypt." *wink wink*

Further analysis:

That article was dated Jan 15. HOWEVER, they did not leave straight for Egypt. They left for Fort Benning, GA for 'further training'. So, the question is, have they left Fort Benning yet?

We don't need our millitary tied up in yet another front in another nation-building boondoggle.

HOLLYWOOD
01-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Embassy Protection

jmdrake
01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
That.....is....insane

nobody's_hero
01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Embassy Protection

No no. It's "Embassy Protection." *wink wink*

(Totally different meaning without the quotes and winks) :p

klamath
01-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Is this a routine mission? It seems like it would be, but I have zero idea either way. Can we get our guys out of there ASAP?? They are a C-23 Sherpa unit afterall.
Yes this is a common mission. Any national guard unit deploying overseas in a federal activation probably got their activation order 6 months ago. A sherpa unit is not exacly the first unit you would send to a war zone if that is why they were sent.
We have been supplying troops for that mission for years as it was one of the area I was always worried about getting deployed to.

pcosmar
01-30-2011, 03:17 PM
inb4 tinfoil hattedness saying these are the looters :eek:

Naw, the looters have been carrying State Security Force IDs.
US military IDs would have been bigger news.

Cowlesy
01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes this is a common mission. Any national guard unit deploying overseas in a federal activation probably got their activation order 6 months ago. A sherpa unit is not exacly the first unit you would send to a war zone if that is why they were sent.
We have been supplying troops for that mission for years as it was one of the area I was always worried about getting deployed to.

Thanks for the sanity injection. Kind of what I was thinking.

doodle
01-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Freedom is on the march again.

Sola_Fide
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
America's military marches after the trail of oil.

Liberty_Mike
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
I think we all knew this was coming..

BlackTerrel
01-30-2011, 07:06 PM

Thanks for posting. Though your point is getting lost in the thread.

Vessol
01-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Thread title is a bit misleading. I doubt the deployment has anything to do with the riots in Egypt.

Also, they had a good idea that unrest would spread to Egypt from Tunisia, I highly doubt that anyone imagined they would become this massive, otherwise the Egyptian government would've been more prepared. Currently the Egyptian government is like a sinking boat, and all the parasites are scurrying to get out as fast as possible, not a normal situation for something that the "intelligence community would know about before hand"

devil21
01-30-2011, 11:28 PM
You doubt it? Well that settles it. Please bin this thread mods. It's all misleading and stuff. Vessol doubts it so it's gotta be bs. Vessol's doubts are never wrong.

Btw, it was reported repeatedly that the revolt was planned in the open on Twitter and Facebook. Surely someone took notice in advance?

Philhelm
01-31-2011, 12:08 AM
I think this is just coincidence (really!). I know that there is/was Operation Brightstar in which U.S. units would train in Egypt.

Vessol
01-31-2011, 12:21 AM
You doubt it? Well that settles it. Please bin this thread mods. It's all misleading and stuff. Vessol doubts it so it's gotta be bs. Vessol's doubts are never wrong.

Btw, it was reported repeatedly that the revolt was planned in the open on Twitter and Facebook. Surely someone took notice in advance?

Uh, okay?

Jeez, I was just giving my opinion on the matter.

oyarde
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Naw, the looters have been carrying State Security Force IDs.
US military IDs would have been bigger news.

lol , yes .

oyarde
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the sanity injection. Kind of what I was thinking.

I was in the Siani in the 80's I think.

oyarde
01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Normal mission/training , I suspect.

Pericles
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Normal mission/training , I suspect.
Correct: http://www.mfo.org/contingents-United%20States.php

I never went because i was Armor.

newbitech
01-31-2011, 01:46 PM
the usa is police man of the world. if someone jaywalks in Papua New Guinea, I am sure someone would be able to dig up an article about a recent troop deployment to the area.

HOLLYWOOD
01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
US Embassy in Cairo announced this morning, they have increased the security of the embassy compound with the arrival of a US Marine corp detachment.

Police began returning to their posts in the Egyptian capital today, seeking to restore order after days of looting, but they stayed away from Tahrir Square, which has become the epicenter of the movement to oust President Hosni Mubarak.
As the dramatic standoff continued into its seventh day, protest organizers called for the biggest demonstrations yet, urging that 1 million people flood the streets Tuesday.
Foreigners, meanwhile, mobbed Cairo's international airport, seeking seats on evacuation flights. Two flights organized by the U.S. State Department took more than 200 Americans to Cyprus and Greece, and other flights were planned to evacuate diplomats, students, business travelers and tourists.

Authorities detain reporters, confiscate equipment (http://link.latimes.com/r/2S5DOM/FGC9X/L8Y0TA/GQEXO/IIZIBS/N9/h)
Protesters, analysts denounce Cabinet changes as futile (http://link.latimes.com/r/2S5DOM/FGC9X/L8Y0TA/GQEXO/QNDN2L/N9/h)

oyarde
01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Correct: http://www.mfo.org/contingents-United%20States.php

I never went because i was Armor.

Crap , I never have seen Australia . Whats up with that ? I feel cheated now : )