PDA

View Full Version : Rand should propose legislation banning unions from working for the government.

FreeBass
01-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Should unions be able form in the private sector? Sure, because if their demands are too great they might get fired or it could lead to the demise of the company they work for.

But unions working for the government? No, I'm not okay with that. First of all, they are a source of votes for government officials that want to perpetuate increasing the amount of money going to public workers. Second, politicians pay them with other peoples money. So any demands made by the unions will likely be met.

This type of legislation will probably be unpopular, but I think it would be a step in the right direction.

specsaregood
01-30-2011, 10:40 AM
I assume you mean federal government. And you have JFK to thank for the federal unionized workers.
http://definitions.uslegal.com/e/executive-order-10988

Executive Order 10988 was issued by President John F. Kennedy in 1962 and recognizes the rights of federal employees to bargain with management. It established a broad government-wide labor relations policy for the first time. With respect to official time for union representatives, it required that, whenever practicable, union representatives be on official time when consulting or otherwise meeting with management representatives.

Agencies had discretion to determine the amount of official time union representatives would receive. Agencies could require that negotiations be conducted during the non-duty hours of the union representatives. In this regard, the framers of the Order wanted management to be able to require that employee representatives negotiate on their own time if the time required for negotiations became burdensome. No internal union business could be conducted on duty time

Zippyjuan
01-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Work should be put up to bid. If a Union makes the best offer, they should be able to get the contract.

FreeBass
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Work should be put up to bid. If a Union makes the best offer, they should be able to get the contract.

I don't know. Do unions usually make the best offer? From what I know, they are generally the most violent, most excluding members of the workforce. Is that really what we want representing the feds? If you read DiLorenzo or Woods, you'll get a completely different picture about unions.

ItsTime
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Small steps first. How about a bill saying the tax payers will not fund the pensions funds at all, it all has to come from the work force?

Petar
01-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Not hiring unionized government workers may absolutely be in the peoples interest, but Rand's recently proposed union "right to work" legislation, is absolutely immoral.

Rand is still a fantastic ally to the freedom movement though, no one is perfect.

Zippyjuan
01-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't know. Do unions usually make the best offer? From what I know, they are generally the most violent, most excluding members of the workforce. Is that really what we want representing the feds? If you read DiLorenzo or Woods, you'll get a completely different picture about unions.

Unions aren't violent. They are comprised of a variety of people- some are good, some are not. Nor do they exclude members of the workforce.

forsmant
01-30-2011, 06:04 PM
we should focus our efforts on changing public pensions from defined benefits to defined contributions. That way when the pensions fall the governments are not liable for the difference.