PDA

View Full Version : Why is Fark so hostile???

rrcamp
10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Okay, I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't as important as 99% of our other efforts, but I need to vent - Why on earth is the Fark community so hostile??? On all social networking sites you'll have some trolls/idiots/people who respectfully disagree... but on Fark, whenever there is a RP news article, the VAST majority of the comments are extremely hostile.

I just don't understand it. Again, not super important, but it really has been pissing me off lately and tonight I snapped...

/end rant

Mort
10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
i just searched fark for ron paul. The first article with ron paul.

The House votes 418-1 to condemn the persecution of labor rights advocates in Iran. The only one voting no was: a) Ron Paul, b) Ron Paul, or c) Ron Paul?

The comments were positive.

Tenbatsu
10-22-2007, 01:19 PM
A lot of Ron Paul haters are in attack mode right now. It's like that all over the net. I try to stick up for Ron Paul at Politico.com, a stronghold for Neo-Cons, it isn't easy, you just have to keep fighting. Don't let the nay-sayers get you down.

10thAmendmentMan
On Fark, the whole purpose of the forums is to argue with (at) people and make jokes. They aren't meant for debate or any meaningful discussion.

Also... I thought I was just about the only Farker here? I guess I keep forgetting that we permeate the internets.

TVMH
I would guess they are hostile because they think it is "cool" to make fun of people...either that or they all have very small penises. :rolleyes:

EvilTwinkie
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I got news for you guys - Fark is hostile to everything :)

Fark is comically cynical by nature, many of us supporters are there anyway so I wouldnt fret about it.

uncloned21
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I would guess they are hostile because they think it is "cool" to make fun of people...either that or they all have very small penises. :rolleyes:

or both

fletcher
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Most of the Ron Paul attacks on Fark come from just a few idiots. Most of them are liberals. They are probably just pissed because a Republican actually follows the Constitution and is actually anti-war, something liberals try to claim the Democrats are even though they know they aren't at all.

Adam Smith
10-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I love FARK.

10thAmendmentMan
10-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Sweet. Now I know that I can put slashies in my posts and people will understand.

/Loves slashies.

JaylieWoW
10-22-2007, 01:50 PM

This is something quite prevalent on many message boards regardless of association with a particular media outlet. The people who think it is cool usually have only so much room in their heads, so certainly new ideas are meaningless.

And all that stuff you hear about men and their thumbs (or big toes), is completely wrong, I hear big brains are a much better indicator. ;)

Larofeticus
10-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm normally in the fray of the Ron Paul threads on fark. The thing is that no matter what the headline or article is, every thread is the same. As far as poster breakdown goes, about 50% of the people like Ron, 20% disagree for respectable reasons, 27% dislike him for stupid reasons like the newsletter from 15 years ago, and 3% are straight up trolls who spend every single waking moment digging through blogs for things to criticise him for.

Fark Ron Paul trolls:

schrodinger, who is the king trolls. Every single post takes this format:
"selectively quote text from someone else. make claims originating from the belief that everything about ron paul is bad, with evidence cherry picked to justify. repeat ad infinitum"

harry pooter, who I suspect just gets kicks out of pissing off RP supporters. He mostly just borrows schrodingers material, but occasionally throws in a truly silly new ones.

tatsuma is a new one in recent weeks. His historical role in fark threads is to appear in any thread that has something to do with israel, and constantly post defending said country from all criticism. These are the only threads i've ever seen him post in and it's pretty much his entire fark identity. He has now started vigorously attacking Ron in threads with schrodinger like ferocity and intellectual dishonesty. Naturally, people accuse him of doing so because ron paul wants to stop subsidising israel and pull out of the middle east, and I tend to agree.

If you're gonna post in a ron paul thread on fark, ignore these three people no matter how much you disagree. Just state who you support and why and be done with it; don't take the bait.

TVMH
10-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Don't get me wrong...I love a good photochop as much as the next guy (and the head football coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks has provided lots of fodder for such an endeavor), but I have no use for mindless ridicule.

V-rod
10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
From what I could tell over last few months, most Farkers are sympathetic to the Democrat party, but are all against Hillary. I seen almost as many Ron Paul supporters there as I seen anti-Paul, and many anti-paulies are dems.

Roxi
10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
you farkers ha ha im going to start calling people that now

mkrfctr
10-22-2007, 04:31 PM
/slashies!!!