PDA

View Full Version : Need convert help.........QUICK

alien
10-22-2007, 12:00 PM
got a guy at work who is a former Marine and totally gung ho for the war. Even sends out emails with Iraqis just walking along and getting massacred and his comment in the email is "Awesome". He is for Fred Thompson and says he is the most conservative. I can get him on that but what about the war issue? He is all for it.

ghemminger
10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
This is a pure definition of a lost cause...good luck!

DaronWestbrooke
10-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Doesn't sound like someone we need or want.

JaylieWoW
10-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, lost cause in my book too. There are a couple of people who work with me who are ex-military. Their war support ranges from "nuke all the rag-heads" (not my term understand you, but his) to "they are all baby killers but we shouldn't be over there dying to protect them". Neither one is interested in Ron Paul in the least.

jaumen
10-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Some people will not change, and this guy sounds like one of them.

njandrewg
10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Ask him if destruction of our military might and military respect is justified by the killing of a few hundred camel herders in a third world country 5 thousand miles away.

apropos
10-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Tell him we won in Iraq, and that his Marine buddies aren't there to keep Sunnis from killing Shiites. That is about the best argument I can think of for the mentality.

freelance
10-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Too much low-hanging fruit to worry with Rambos.

mavtek
10-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Just tell him that you aren't paying your taxes anymore to pay for the war, and you got 5 million people on the web to join you.

So if he wants the war to continue then his taxes are going to go up. In reality that's the only way we're going to be able to pay for this war anyway.

EvoPro
10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Tell him: The government doesn't do anything right, so the last thing they should be doing is nation building. Also the majority of Iraqis believe we are doing more harm than good with our continued presence.

DaronWestbrooke
10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Just tell him that you aren't paying your taxes anymore to pay for the war, and you got 5 million people on the web to join you.

So if he wants the war to continue then his taxes are going to go up. In reality that's the only way we're going to be able to pay for this war anyway.

Do you have more details on this? How do you get out of paying taxes and where is the sign up group with 5 million people?

alien
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a one shot but I won't waste any more time on him.

parke
10-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I work outside of a military base.. Let me tell you something about Marines. They are killing machines. You better believe they are pro war and it wont ever change. Our soldiers are awesome. But while a war is going on, you cant expect the men on the front lines to not want to fight.

centure7
10-22-2007, 12:51 PM
got a guy at work who is a former Marine and totally gung ho for the war. Even sends out emails with Iraqis just walking along and getting massacred and his comment in the email is "Awesome". He is for Fred Thompson and says he is the most conservative. I can get him on that but what about the war issue? He is all for it.

We don't have to try to convert anybody. All we have to do is state facts about Ron Paul to spread the message. They either accept the message or reject it. Nearly everyone accepts it. Just accept that there are some people who thrive on aggression. It is not worth your effort to try to convert people when you can simply tell those who have not heard of him the same exact thing, yet will love the guy instantly.

VoteRonPaul2008
10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Fred Thompson used to lobby for an a pro choice firm, yet he now he says he's against abortion. Fred wants to cut social security benefits. and talk about his awful tort reform and how he sided with a man who was seuing for 56 million pant lawsuit and fred is soft on illegal immigration....

source:www.immigration2008.com

mavtek
10-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Do you have more details on this? How do you get out of paying taxes and where is the sign up group with 5 million people?

Dude I got no issue lying to some nutbag Hawk, it's not as if we haven't all been lied to by our own government.

beerista
10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

Gung ho is tough to argue as it generally doesn't require a rational argument on their part. Your bigger problem is having this guy at work trashing your good rationale that you're laying down for your other more sensible co-workers. I agree with the others that he may be a lost cause, but be prepared with "come backs" to his pro-war gung ho-ness if he's trying to spread it in front of others. Doesn't have to be any more intellectual than his own arguments, but just because he doesn't make any sense, don't allow him to go unchallenged either. Not my favorite way to win an argument, but you need to neutralize his influence. Some people will be easily swayed by his fervency if there is no counterbalance.