PDA

View Full Version : Live stream and updates from Eygpt on al-Jazeera English

Anti Federalist
01-28-2011, 12:24 PM
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

BenIsForRon
01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Whoa, I just read that police and military are clashing in Cairo! It seems like the military is on the side of the protestors!

awake
01-28-2011, 12:39 PM
The military are the saviors?...pffft. If I had to guess, the dictator they are trying to oust will be replaced by a man much worse. The people want a "savior"; Military saviors are totalitarians in practice.

Fredom101
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
The gov't sent in the military to control the protesters, now the military & cops are battling. If the military is backing the protesters, it is likely going against the government. This is getting MIGHTY interesting...

pcosmar
01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Also on Twitter feed,
Our own member,
http://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi

And this line is smokin'
http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Egypt

Anti Federalist
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Confirmed now: #Egypt Air suspends flights out of Cairo for the next 12 hours

http://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi

PermanentSleep
01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/28/syria-internet-down_n_815337.html

Syria is known for a tight control of the internet, which was tightened further after the unrest in Tunisia, reports Reuters. Now, Al Arabiya is reporting that internet services have gone down completely in the country. Previously, Syria had blocked programs that "allow access to Facebook Chat from cellphones," according to Reuters.

nobody's_hero
01-28-2011, 01:08 PM
The military are the saviors?...pffft. I f I had to guess, the dictator they are trying to oust will be replaced by a man much worse. The people want a "savior"; Military saviors are totalitarians in practice.

The military is probably torn on the issue. I think that's how this would play out in the U.S., if it ever happened. It's how it played out in the Civil War.

Grant and Lee were both graduates of West Point. Same school, different allegiances.

Anti Federalist
01-28-2011, 01:42 PM
aneel RT @abnerg: #Egypt internet update: @renesys says ISPs turned off one by one: http://bloga.tw/gCwdu7 half a minute ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Egypt

dannno
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Whoa, I just read that police and military are clashing in Cairo! It seems like the military is on the side of the protestors!

Just talked to my boss from Iran, she said that is what happened in '79 when they ousted the Shah (for the second time). Military was sent in to backup the police, and they ended up fighting on the side of the citizens and battled the police.

RCA
01-28-2011, 02:17 PM
What's the short summary on what's happening with Egypt?

pcosmar
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
What's the short summary on what's happening with Egypt?

Revolution.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-28-2011, 02:29 PM
so what's the verdict on this. is this a genuine revolt or a CIA led protest in order to lock down the populace?

looks genuine from what i've seen.

PaulineDisciple
01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Are Egyptian citizens allowed to own guns? The daytime videos look like the police vans are just running over people while everyone is just throwing stones. And now, it looks like the military is coming to the aid of the people. If the people had guns, the police would have been taken out by now.

dannno
01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
so what's the verdict on this. is this a genuine revolt or a CIA led protest in order to lock down the populace?

Ya that's where I am at the moment.. and that's usually not where I am.

RCA
01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Revolution.

Got that much..but why?

Nate-ForLiberty
01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Got that much..but why?

what i know so far is Egypt has had a dictator for 30 years. The people are fed up with it and overthrowing him. We should probably take notes because this is most likely going to happen here.

- internet shut off
- riot police
- news media shut down
- military called out (supposedly once they are deployed they side with the protesters and then tussle with the police)
- riot police seem to be the real enforcers
- populace seems to be for the most part unarmed, unless they capture weapons from police or military
- revolt happened quickly, only a few days and the country is in chaos : dictator is exiled
- police are paid 20 or 30 times more than regular people or the army (just heard on Al-Jazeera so figure may not be completely accurate

RCA
01-28-2011, 02:52 PM
what i know so far is Egypt has had a dictator for 30 years. The people are fed up with it and overthrowing him. We should probably take notes because this is most likely going to happen here.

- internet shut off
- riot police
- new media shut down
- military called out (supposedly once they are deployed they side with the protesters and then tussle with the police)
- riot police seem to be the real enforcers
- populace seems to be for the most part unarmed, unless they capture weapons from police or military
- revolt happened quickly, only a few days and the country is in chaos : dictator is exiled
- police are paid 20 or 30 times more than regular people or the army (just heard on Al-Jazeera so figure may not be completely accurate

Thanks for the info. What was the "trigger" of all this?

ExPatPaki
01-28-2011, 02:54 PM

I would say the recent upheaval in Tunisia.

Anti Federalist
01-28-2011, 02:57 PM

No, it seems organic and real, and like danno, that is the last position I would take.

Anti Federalist
01-28-2011, 03:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6a5lqDlpMI

fisharmor
01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Also, apparently within the last few years Cairo intentionally turned a functioning private garbage collection system into municipalized trash piled up on the streets.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/mikkelsen8.1.1.html

Pericles
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Got that much..but why?

Given Egypt's modern history the real question is not why, but why not.

The problem is that the hard core Islamic groups are most likely to benefit from the violence and probable fall of the government.

ExPatPaki
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
The problem is that the hard core Islamic groups are most likely to benefit from the violence and probable fall of the government.

That's what happens when these Islamic groups actually provide services such as hospitals, food, charity, etc. to the poor masses of the society. Why do you think Hezbollah is so popular in Lebanon?

Pericles
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
That's what happens when these Islamic groups actually provide services such as hospitals, food, charity, etc. to the poor masses of the society. Why do you think Hezbollah is so popular in Lebanon?
Of course, when the rulers don't care about their people, the people will follow whoever does do something for them.

dannno
01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
No, it seems organic and real, and like danno, that is the last position I would take.

The posters who like to brush us off by saying that we see a conspiracy behind everything must be baffled.

pcosmar
01-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Got that much..but why?

Years of living under US imposed Brutal dictatorship. Poverty and unemployment. Corruption.
Recent events in Tunisia and the Gaza Blockade. There are lots of reasons.
Does it have to be just one?

I think the accumulation of reasons reached critical mass.

Anti Federalist
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
The posters who like to brush us off by saying that we see a conspiracy behind everything must be baffled.

LoL

No kidding, that must have them flummoxed.

Anti Federalist
01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Years of living under US imposed Brutal dictatorship. Poverty and unemployment. Corruption.
Recent events in Tunisia and the Gaza Blockade. There are lots of reasons.
Does it have to be just one?

I think the accumulation of reasons reached critical mass.

Those of us old enough (like me and you ;) ) to remember the Iranian Revolution of 1979 understand this.

So does Ron Paul.

This is a form of "blowback".

ExPatPaki
01-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Those of us old enough (like me and you ;) ) to remember the Iranian Revolution of 1979 understand this.

Yup. My dad just said that the police are attacking protesters who are praying in the streets, just like they did in 1979 in Iran.

PaulineDisciple
01-28-2011, 03:32 PM
This guy seems to have a good analysis of what TPTB have planned for Egypt;

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2011/01/all-is-not-what-it-seems-in-egyptian.html

Here's a quote from a post he made on infowars website, "Mohamed ElBaradei, the self-proclaimed leader of the protests and who the MSM is already proposing may be the next president, is on the Board of Directors of the International Crisis Group – a globalist think tank run by Zbigniew Brzezinski and George Soros."

Sounds like the old "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" trick, I hope the people have wise enough leaders to make sure their next leader isn't another puppet.

oyarde
01-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I would say the recent upheaval in Tunisia.

I am sure it helped .

oyarde
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Got that much..but why?

Nearly the avg person lives on two bucks a day and does not have enough to eat and is unable to read ......

Bruno
01-28-2011, 03:43 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2gvoot3.jpg

Nate-ForLiberty
01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
What is so striking to me is the virtual lack of fear shown by the people. They are all over the place.

ExPatPaki
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Sounds like the old "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" trick, I hope the people have wise enough leaders to make sure their next leader isn't another puppet.

I hope so too. The people should call for free, fair, and open elections after everything settles.

Bruno
01-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I heard a report that some police are taking off their uniforms and joining the protestors.

Kludge
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
lol... Robert Gibbs was about as insightful as the Miss South Carolina 2007.

oyarde
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I heard a report that some police are taking off their uniforms and joining the protestors.

Does not pay as well , but who would know ?

fisharmor
I hope so too. The people should call for free, fair, and open elections after everything settles.

They should do the same thing over again, as many times as it takes, until the social engineers give up all means of control.

Nice to see that Egyptian police are as brave as our own.

One thing I think is astounding here is that 20 years ago the "Evil Empire" crumbled relatively peacefully.
Today our vassal states have to be violently overthrown.

BenIsForRon

I'm not baffled, I just believe this time you and I are coming to the same conclusion. I think you will see in the future that what we saw in Iran last year was an early indicator of what's happening in Tunisia and Egypt. Iran will go back into protests soon, I imagine.

Freedom 4 all
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
The military are the saviors?...pffft. I f I had to guess, the dictator they are trying to oust will be replaced by a man much worse. The people want a "savior"; Military saviors are totalitarians in practice.

In a place like Egypt you're probably right, but most soldiers I know are very pro-(domestic) liberty WAAAAY more so than the average cop anyways.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Mubarak talking now on live stream

Xchange
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I set up a tweet grid to keep track of all the info coming in...
You can change up the Hash tags if you want

http://tweetgrid.com/grid?l=2&q1=%23Jan25&q2=%23egypt&q3=%23cairo+

HOLLYWOOD
Mubarak talking now on live stream

Dialog with a US Militaristic Dictator? Mubarak: "We must maintain HOMELAND SECURITY and CITIZEN SECURITY..." What BS!

Typical government dictatorship 101: "Keep You Safe... May God Be with All Of You"

It sounds like the US Embassy in Cairo wrote that speech for Hosni Mubarak.

REMEMBER the USAID to EGYPT:

Humanitarian: $20 Million 1.5%
Military/Policing: $1.3 Billion 98.5%

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/Mubarak_Speech.png

WilliamShrugged
So how does america have any blame on this? I honestly don't know. I would like to be informed on how america is also at some fault.

low preference guy
01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
So how does america have any blame on this? I honestly don't know. I would like to be informed on how america is also at some fault.

pupping up an authoritarian government with "foreign aid" is wrong.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-28-2011, 04:28 PM

we are at fault to the tune of $30 billion a year in foreign aid to this dictator. Not to mention the arms we've sold him that are now being used against the Egyptian people.

We can't make our own toys, electronics, furniture, you name it. But we can make arms for the rest of the world.....

pupping up an authoritarian government with "foreign aid" is wrong.

what he said.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-28-2011, 04:30 PM
LOL!!

Mubarak says he's asked the 'government' to step down, but he will remain. srsly wtf!?

UtahApocalypse
01-28-2011, 04:47 PM
LOL!!

Mubarak says he's asked the 'government' to step down, but he will remain. srsly wtf!?
He claims to support democracy in one sentence then says HE will select the replacement government lol

dannno
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm not baffled, I just believe this time you and I are coming to the same conclusion. I think you will see in the future that what we saw in Iran last year was an early indicator of what's happening in Tunisia and Egypt. Iran will go back into protests soon, I imagine.

I dunno, if hundreds of millions of Bush signed U.S. dollars couldn't throw them into a revolution, then I doubt they will do it on their own without some big change happening first.

oyarde
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Iran is different . Under control of the Revolutionary Guard.

libertybrewcity
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
If Mabarek is thrown out, the people will replace him with someone just as corrupt but much more religious. It has happened in every Islamic country from Pakistan to Indonesia to Iran to Afghanistan. The people in the streets are conservatives, not secularists.

Kludge
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
If Mabarek is thrown out, the people will replace him with someone just as corrupt but much more religious. It has happened in every Islamic country from Pakistan to Indonesia to Iran to Afghanistan. The people in the streets are conservatives, not secularists.

Christians have been some of the greatest proponents of change in the revolting areas.

HOLLYWOOD
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
He claims to support democracy in one sentence then says HE will select the replacement government lol Not only that check this out about saying one thing and doing the opposite. BTW, That Mubarak speech was written by the American government.

http://www.examiner.com/world-news-in-national/protests-egypt-continue-elbaradei-arrested-as-government-cracks-down

A peaceful Nobel Laureate:

...Protests in Egypt against the authoritarian government continued as Nobel Peace Prize laureate Mohamed ElBaradei was arrested after leading peaceful protests against the Mubarak government. Egypt is in its fourth day of protests by its citizens against government oppression, poverty, rising food prices and unemployment. Although the protests started in Cairo on Tuesday, they have spread to other cities and regions in Egypt.

dannno
01-28-2011, 05:04 PM
That Mubarak speech was written by the American government.

Really? Link?

Brett85
01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm sure there will probably be some kind of Congressional resolution regarding this. There always is.

oyarde
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I hope I am wrong , but will speculate . More power to the uneducated people resulting in a new govt . that will have no difference in the end . Poverty and hunger remain .

HOLLYWOOD
01-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Really? Link? http://egypt.usembassy.gov/

I'm waiting for the monologue electronic copy but if you read the words, you'll know.

While we wait: FACEBOOK collage organized on Egypt

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?op=1&view=global&subj=185645434794129&pid=31997950&id=1015723101&oid=185645434794129

pcosmar
01-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Really? Link?

Did you listen to it.
Except for the translators accent, it could have been Bush or Obama.

Same speech writers.

libertybrewcity
01-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Christians have been some of the greatest proponents of change in the revolting areas.

ehh..I really don't see that as a major moving force. After the wave of secularist nationalists in Muslim countries, the people responded by becoming more conservative. When the hijab was outlawed in Egypt, the people wore it as a sign of disobedience. They formed groups like the Muslim Brotherhood. Muslims outnumber Christians by a lot in most Islamic countries. They really can't be a moving force because many laws are based on Sharia and Sunnah. Many groups have made inroads in Islamic countries using Ijithad which allows laws to be reinterpreted to be more women and civil rights friendly. These groups have been successful in gutting the Hudood Ordinance in Pakistan, but progress is slow.