PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Gov. Abercrombie's Health Director Quits

Bruno
01-28-2011, 08:03 AM
This was not the same Health Director that claimed the following below, but the timing still is suspicious.

Previous Health Director's 2009 statement: "I, Dr. Chiyome Fukino, director of Hawaii State Department of Health, have seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawaii State Department of Health verifying Barack Hussein Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/27/politics/main7288553.shtml

AP) HONOLULU - Interim Hawaii Health Director Dr. Neal Palafox abruptly quit Wednesday, the first of new Gov. Neil Abercrombie's Cabinet appointees to leave.

The reason for Palafox's resignation was a mystery, and he wouldn't say whether he was asked to resign.

Abercrombie's office said Palafox asked the Democratic governor to withdraw his nomination.

"Gov. Abercrombie accepted Dr. Palafox's request and will make a new appointment for the Health Director as soon as possible," spokeswoman Donalyn Dela Cruz said in a statement.

The Attorney General's office wouldn't comment on whether it's investigating Palafox, said Joshua Wisch, special assistant to the attorney general.

Palafox, 58, said he was surprised when he heard TV news reports citing anonymous sources claiming he was under investigation for medical billing fraud.

"I get handed these e-mails about investigations and so forth, but I have no clue. I'm lost," Palafox said.

University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine Dean Jerris Hedges said the school is unaware of any pending investigation. Hedges said Palafox will return to his job at the school, where he was chairman of the Department of Family Medicine before his nomination.

The state Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs said it had no complaints about Palafox over the last five years.

No criminal cases named Palafox in a search of federal and state court records.

Sen. Clayton Hee, who has overseen many confirmation hearings, said he suspected that the Abercrombie administration's review of Palafox's background overlooked key information.

"An issue has arisen, probably having to do with personal reasons, and that suggests to me that the vetting process wasn't as complete as it should have been," said Hee, D-Kahuku-Kaneohe, chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye's office said allegations that he pressured Abercrombie to oust Palafox are false.

"Sen. Inouye and his staff stand ready to assist Gov. Abercrombie and his administration in whatever way possible," said Inouye spokesman Peter Boylan.

When Abercrombie named Palafox as health director last month, he commended Palafox's "proven track record to rebuild our system of public health."

Palafox served on the active medical staff at Wahaiwa General Hospital, and he previously was medical director for the Republic of the Marshall Islands.

squarepusher
01-28-2011, 08:05 AM
this definitely has something to do with Obama's birth certificate

itshappening
01-28-2011, 08:10 AM
maybe he refused to forge one ?

Bruno
01-28-2011, 08:18 AM
maybe he refused to forge one ?

Certainly plausible, or to go on record as the previous director did, to say, "I have seen it, but can't show you."

Apparently, the other director was able to find it :rolleyes:, but this one couldn't. Why doesn't someone just pick up the phone and call Dr. Chiyome Fukino to see where it is? ;)

Unless... it simply doesn't exist! :eek:

itshappening
01-28-2011, 12:09 PM
bump

Stary Hickory
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Ah I was wondering if it was Omans BC this was all about. So did this guy just honestly do his job? And that was not exactly what the Gov had in mind? Kinda odd. Whatever anyways, I just hope the states pass the eligibility laws so we can be done with it.

After that who cares, if he refuses to show it when it will cost him a spot on the ballot we will know something is up. If he produces one fine, at least he complied with the law.