PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul appearing very, very Presidential

georgiaboy
01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
This has been festering in the back of my mind for months now and keeps forcing its way to the front.

The force is strong with this one.

The next few weeks and months as his plans and proposals move through the media and the legislature are going to be extremely telling.

As a freshman Senator, the guy is getting coverage like I've never seen.

I'm not one to put the cart before the horse, but I'm putting the cart before the horse. The nation is running out of time; already ran out of money.

I'm thinking it's not a question of if, it's a question of when. 2012 might not be too soon.

muzzled dogg
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
2012 seems too soon

sailingaway
01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
If Ron absolutely won't run, I'd support Rand, but this is Ron's year and Ron has the credibility. I also don't have quite the confidence yet in Rand that I have in Ron, particularly on fine points of Constitutional interpretation.

2012 seems too soon

It IS too soon, and one bad point is it might make him subject to GOP attacks before he gets sufficiently established, hurting him in 2016. I think 2016 is his year.... but it may be kinda late.

If Ron doesn't run though, no one else excites me.

roho76
01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
2012 seems too soon

I guarantee that if he did run he would pull off an Obama against Obama. Talk about taking a beating with your own stick.

specsaregood
01-27-2011, 11:33 AM
The attention given to Rand only serves to give Ron more credibility. The majority of Americans would be hard pressed to identify between the 2 of them. I see them mixed up all the time online.

BamaFanNKy
01-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I must be the only one who thinks Ron really doesn't have a shot. Then again I live in Kentucky where being Ron's son hurt Rand in the credibility arena. Not many Ron Supporters here.

Brett85
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
I must be the only one who thinks Ron really doesn't have a shot.

I don't think he has a shot either, but if you say that here you'll just start a big flame war. I just don't understand why people can't be more realistic. Ron is now 75 years old. If he was 55 it would be a different story.

Sola_Fide
01-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think Ron can win in 12.

I do think Rand could win in 12, but I want Ron to run to be the sunlight in the GOP darkness.

I absolutely think Rand could win in 16. After 2 terms of Obama, the Tea Party pendulum would ignite Rand's candidacy.

Rand Paul has got that presidential swagger...with the ideas to back it up. I've been saying this since the primaries...

ScotTX
01-27-2011, 12:01 PM
If a Paul is not the GOP nominee for 2012, I will vote for Barry. A win by any other Republican will ruin Rand's chances in 2016.

sailingaway
01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I don't think Ron can win in 12.

I do think Rand could win in 12, but I want Ron to run to be the sunlight in the GOP darkness.

I absolutely think Rand could win in 16. After 2 terms of Obama, the Tea Party pendulum would ignite Rand's candidacy.

Rand Paul has got that presidential swagger...with the ideas to back it up. I've been saying this since the primaries...

I distrust swagger.

keh10
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
2016 is a much more realistic goal for Rand. If Ron chooses to run this term, I think it will result much the same as last election. That being said, Ron's run would definitely awaken a lot of people like in '08 and keep the flame of the revolution bright so that Rand could carry the torch on in 2016 with very good results.

Original_Intent
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
I distrust swagger.

Indeed. If we don;t educate people to bote for principle over swagger, or hair, or looking presidential, then we are screwed eventually anyway.

Sola_Fide
01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I distrust swagger.

Well, I agree. Swagger is meaningless to those of us who actually care about ideas, but to the vast majority of retards out there, Rand seems electable--there is an air of importance and substance to him...imo.

itshappening
01-27-2011, 12:31 PM
2012 is far too soon, 2016 maybe

we also need KY to pass a law so he can run for president and senate simultaneously if he can't already

jmdrake
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I guarantee that if he did run he would pull off an Obama against Obama. Talk about taking a beating with your own stick.

LOLZ. Yeah, Obama would have a hard time arguing that a freshman senator doesn't have enough experience to be president. That said, I personally think 2012 is too soon...but 2016 may be too late....for this nation. :(

tsai3904
01-27-2011, 12:44 PM
The problem with 2016 is that Rand can't decide to run for both the Presidency and the Senate. If he runs for President and fails, he'll lose his Senate seat.

Edit - didn't see that it was posted already

we also need KY to pass a law so he can run for president and senate simultaneously if he can't already

TheTyke
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Indeed. If we don;t educate people to bote for principle over swagger, or hair, or looking presidential, then we are screwed eventually anyway.

You can't change human nature. Education accomplished nothing by itself. 80% of Americans can oppose bailouts and support auditing the Fed and it still doesn't happen. Winning elections and taking power is what changes policy - we just have to make sure the people we elect are principled and educated. That's where education comes into play.

JoshLowry
01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
If a Paul is not the GOP nominee for 2012, I will vote for Barry. A win by any other Republican will ruin Rand's chances in 2016.

:D

Romulus
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
You can't change human nature. Education accomplished nothing by itself. 80% of Americans can oppose bailouts and support auditing the Fed and it still doesn't happen. Winning elections and taking power is what changes policy - we just have to make sure the people we elect are principled and educated. That's where education comes into play.

That'll never happen unless you change the attitudes of the people of what govt ought to be. I think that is happening very slowly...

itshappening
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
The problem with 2016 is that Rand can't decide to run for both the Presidency and the Senate. If he runs for President and fails, he'll lose his Senate seat.

Edit - didn't see that it was posted already

if it does happen then i think Ky will introduce a Rand Paul law

we must keep the senate seat at all costs as a backup

what are the rules in Ky Bama?

Aratus
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
methinks (like most of you!) that 2016 is RAND's YEAR!
he needs a gravitas, a degree of national notice... i feel he
needs to have more time in the senate than did BARACK OBAMA.

eOs
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
The collective has spoken...2016 Rand is in the whitehouse

sailingaway
01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
The collective has spoken...2016 Rand is in the whitehouse

When I make up my 2012 buttons for Ron, maybe I'll save on shipping costs by getting some 2016 buttons for Rand....

georgiaboy
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
LOLZ. Yeah, Obama would have a hard time arguing that a freshman senator doesn't have enough experience to be president. That said, I personally think 2012 is too soon...but 2016 may be too late....for this nation. :(

aye, there's the rub. I think it's still to early to tell about Rand, but opportunity and timing is of the essence given the pressure cooker we're in. frog's water getting warmer.

radiofriendly
01-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Sneaky thing is Obama being elected again would be perfect for our 2016 plans! Shhhhhhh.

sailingaway
01-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Sneaky thing is Obama being elected again would be perfect for our 2016 plans! Shhhhhhh.

I'd prefer Ron getting elected. But if he doesn't, there's Rand in 2016... And even if he DOES, I suspect he'd only serve one term. Could be wrong.