PDA

View Full Version : Hispanic RP supporter.

jterrero
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Hello Everyone.
I have been following RP since 2007 and was pretty upset when he didnt get the nomination. It made me realize how backward this country is including within my own community.

I am a 2nd generation american of Hispanic descent.
I firmly believe every man should be free to do as he wishes as long as he is not harming others in any form. I am anti government intervention, anti war and a host of other issues why RP has always stood out for me.

I come from an extremely urban area (bronx, ny) where I am literally the only person I know who is not a liberal, has been this way since I started following politics for the 2000 elections. Needless to say, I am not popular even within my own family when it comes to political views. My brothers main argument is that Ron Paul supporters are racist. My take is I don't really care how anyone feels as long as its not affecting me or anyone else. My question is, why arent there more minorities supporting ron paul?

torchbearer
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
i take it you are looking for the opinion of the activist, and not a real reason that was deduced using a scientific method.

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Hello Everyone.
I have been following RP since 2007 and was pretty upset when he didnt get the nomination. It made me realize how backward this country is including within my own community.

I am a 2nd generation american of Hispanic descent.
I firmly believe every man should be free to do as he wishes as long as he is not harming others in any form. I am anti government intervention, anti war and a host of other issues why RP has always stood out for me.

I come from an extremely urban area (bronx, ny) where I am literally the only person I know who is not a liberal, has been this way since I started following politics for the 2000 elections. Needless to say, I am not popular even within my own family when it comes to political views. My brothers main argument is that Ron Paul supporters are racist. My take is I don't really care how anyone feels as long as its not affecting me or anyone else. My question is, why arent there more minorities supporting ron paul?

To the first point, I do not believe that Ron Paul supporters are any more racist than supporters of other Presidential candidates, we just are the type loathe to do a beat-down when they show up and start bleating their venom.

To the second point, I think the reason there aren't more minorities supporting Ron Paul is because most of his supporters in 2008 didn't really know HOW to reach out to minority communities with the message of liberty and the Constitution. This point is the one I hope to change. ;)

muzzled dogg
01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
welcome to the forum btw

but to answer your i think most folks who you are referring to are like any other people (ranging from liberal to apathetic) in the northeast; they vote democrat because their parents do and republicans are evil, or they don't vote at all because they think its a lost cause

JoshLowry
01-26-2011, 06:43 PM
When the media attacks everything you stand for as being racist and they carry that water on a weekly basis, then minorities are going to be discouraged from attending those events.

People think that the media talking heads will not steer them wrong. This is flat out false, they can legally lie, pick/plant the most ridiculous supporters to represent a movement, and manipulate. They love to divide and conquer.

There was also the whole first minority president thing that we just got over.

People are starting to realize it's principles over party.

Kludge
01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Possibly because I've been told by a member here that Latinas are too busy nursing 4 kids with no father while unemployed on welfare to be bothered to read the issues.

Unfortunately, the libertarian movement as a whole is cursed with WNs (White Nationalists) who believe in some similar principles, such as ending the Fed (which they'll blame on Jews for existing), ending reverse discrimination, and (usually) lowering taxes. The similarities mostly end there.

I think you'll find RPFs to be almost entirely free of racism as the mods & admin find it a disgusting distraction from real issues.

With that said, the other part is that I think conservatism/libertarianism in general is viewed as a White ideology, but I think that comes from a misrepresentation by the MainStream Media that libertarians want the poor (which they love implying is minorities) to starve and go uneducated, and that libertarians' pro-business agenda is a promotion of corporatism (when instead, it's entirely the opposite). MSM isn't entirely to blame -- I think any minority looking for a fair, anti-war, pro-entrepreneurial ideology would find a very nice home here, which is what Democrats like to claim they favor, especially in the South with the Blue Dogs. It's a facade, however, and most of them are about as bad as Bush in policy (and, in talk, as good as him in his early 2000 speeches). On that, I would blame laziness, but that's a charge I would put against anyone who supports traditional liberal principles but Democrat politicians.

jterrero
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
torchbearer: I am looking for a reason that makes sense whether its from a deduced scientific method or from an activist. I want to be a better voice for RP which is close to impossible for me. In my head i know a thousand and one reasons why I support him. But its hard to get my point across to the average liberal or minority.

GunnyFreedom: that is my hope too.

Shemdogg: you hit the nail in the head

torchbearer
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
torchbearer: I am looking for a reason that makes sense whether its from a deduced scientific method or from an activist. I want to be a better voice for RP which is close to impossible for me. In my head i know a thousand and one reasons why I support him. But its hard to get my point across to the average liberal or minority.

opinion- lack of education and/or lack of wanting a free society.
the reason for this assessment- everyone bases their choices in life on the information that have accumulated regarding the decision. WHen someone makes incorrect choices, it usually because they have bad or incomplete information. and if they have all the info, and still want government control over every aspect of their life, then they just hate freedom.

MelissaWV
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM

GunnyFreedom: that is my hope too.

Shemdogg: you hit the nail in the head

The "average minority" can be spoken to, reasoned with, and convinced of things just as easily as the average majority ;) Treating people like they're too dumb or unhip to get your message is probably a good way to ensure they don't get your message.

There are plenty of "minorities" that support Dr. Paul. Hell, supporting Ron or Rand or a liberty candidate makes you a minority by default. Please don't fall into this silly trap of being defined by your demographics. Consider, instead, that you can only try to reason with people (including those closest to you) and hope that they'll see things your way.

Beyond lobbying for support, you can also contribute to worthy causes monetarily, or give of your time to help people in winnable elections/states. You can try to get involved with your local GOP and familiarize yourself with New York's election law. I will be honest, though, and point out that New York is a rough state.

jterrero
01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Kludge: That's not a latina thing, its a laziness/poverty thing. I see it across the board in NYC. Black, Latina, White, Asian. That issue lies in a non-nuclear family settings. multiple children, no father, no job, feeding off of the system. Race really does not matter.

Ending the fed, lowering taxes and ending reverse racism are things that I believe in. What I don't get why they are perceived by minorities as bad thing and what can I do to spread the word, I don't even know how to start to tackle this subject when someone has his beliefs so set on 1 ideology.

What kills me though, is in my family for example when you take each of our values individually and analyze them at the end of the day we are a traditional conservative family. Yet they vote liberal? What is it that they are seeing that I am not? or vice versa?

I know 2 guys. 1 is named "p-nut" (im serious) the other is carlito. We all went to elementary school together and by the time junior high school hit we drifted apart as friends but still knew each other enough to say hello to each other. I eventually went off to college and graduated or my parents would have killed me, something I thank them for. Carlito and P-nut have 3 and 4 kids with multiple mothers. They do not work, smoke weed, hangout in the corner every day and are on welfare.

Carlito and P-nut have no understand that the democrats have enslaved them by supporting their lazy lifestyle and are only being controlled for their vote. They have no idea of any foreign, local or domestic issues. But they voted for Obama and claim bill clinton is the best president to ever live. I feel horrible for the trend that I see spreading out in nyc. I don't know if its like this in other urban areas with minorities and poverty but something has to be done to wake people up. Ron Paul is the only person that I think could actually change this country around and have it start heading in the right direction. But my community needs a voice for his message and RP supporters are not doing anything to get the minority vote on board

MelissaWV
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
... But my community needs a voice for his message and RP supporters are not doing anything to get the minority vote on board

The moment supporters have to stop, put down what they are doing, and court supporters based on demographics and perception rather than winning people based on the issues... is the moment that the movement becomes absolutely unworthy of my support.

There are minorities within this movement, and minorities often know other minorities. This is the same argument that can be applied to any whining about "Why aren't there more _________ in this movement?" People recruit those they know. I don't think it would be a particularly good idea to walk up to someone and go "Hey, you look like you're Mexican or something... let me tell you about Dr. Ron Paul, because we totally need more brown-skinned voters!"

ending reverse racism

What a strange phrase that is. How is "reverse" racism different from regular ole racism? How does one end "reverse" racism by recruiting certain people because they make the movement look more balanced, minority-friendly, or whatever else (as opposed to because they are intelligent, well-informed people who can make a difference)?

jterrero
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
NY is so rough I've always felt that my vote doesn't count here

trey4sports
01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
I've been thinking about minority outreach for the past couple months and I KNOW that his message can appeal

Anti drugwar
Anti Government
Anti War

I think this election cycle Minorities will go strongly for Paul since the Obama hype has died down.

Better yet, why are we not running RON PAUL DEMOCRATS in (D) areas?

I mean the message can be sold even easier if the person has a (D) next to their name

LatinsforPaul
01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
who until 2007 thought that only Democrats were anti-war. After hearing Ron Paul's non-interventionism's speeches during the Republican debates, I switched and am now a registered Republican who only votes for liberty candidates. And after hearing the following speech today, I have no regrets as their is not a more anti-war politician that exist in this country than Dr. Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JANYT8FCik&feature=player_embedded

By the way, I am also of Hispanic descent. Unlike you, I have Neo-Cons in my Cuban family to deal with. ;)

Kludge
01-26-2011, 07:29 PM
I've been thinking about minority outreach for the past couple months and I KNOW that his message can appeal

Anti drugwar
Anti Government
Anti War

I think this election cycle Minorities will go strongly for Paul since the Obama hype has died down.

Better yet, why are we not running RON PAUL DEMOCRATS in (D) areas?

I mean the message can be sold even easier if the person has a (D) next to their name

It's really too bad we can't find them. Bob Conley ran in 2008 (in a heavily Republican state) and did remarkably well all things considered.

"Conley's campaign followed his mantra of fiscal conservatism spending only $15,202 for 42.25% of the vote on November 5 to Graham's $6,596,229 for 57.53%."

trey4sports
01-26-2011, 07:29 PM
NY is so rough I've always felt that my vote doesn't count here

that's probably true Jterrero, but to that end who's fault is that?

You really wanna shake some shit up? You want to bring the Revolution to NY? Stand outside handing out Ron Paul literature and connect with the people in your community. That alone with help spread the message and garner more votes than your single vote

In marketing, it's about having a great product.... and that's what Ron Paul is. You don't have to worry about "selling" it, just spread the word and if your product (in this case ideas) are good it will snowball

Best of luck to ya

jterrero
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
It's not about courting someone based on their demographics. It's about a demographic being scared of what RP followers stand for. Again, my brother, who I love. Lawyer, works at a top firm in ny. very educated has told me on multiple occasions "I like what ron paul stands for, but his supporters are racist"

for me it comes back to.. I really don't care what anyone is unless its not affecting me personally. But that is not the mentality of a lot of the people I know. they see it more amongst the lines of "they are against me, cant be on their team"

How do I fight that back. How can I approach them in a way that I can argue against it

trey4sports
01-26-2011, 07:31 PM
It's really too bad we can't find them. Bob Conley ran in 2008 (in a heavily Republican state) and did remarkably well all things considered.

"Conley's campaign followed his mantra of fiscal conservatism spending only $15,202 for 42.25% of the vote on November 5 to Graham's $6,596,229 for 57.53%."

Yeah i remember watching the debate in my dorm...... To be honest Conley was a less than inspiring candidate though. Platform was good but SC is lindsey-graham-neocon-country

I think it's all about the ideas. If Ron runs in 2012 it will only INSPIRE more people to change the system, and run as RP republicans, RP democrats, and everything outside the realm.

torchbearer
01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
It's not about courting someone based on their demographics. It's about a demographic being scared of what RP followers stand for. Again, my brother, who I love. Lawyer, works at a top firm in ny. very educated has told me on multiple occasions "I like what ron paul stands for, but his supporters are racist"

for me it comes back to.. I really don't care what anyone is unless its not affecting me personally. But that is not the mentality of a lot of the people I know. they see it more amongst the lines of "they are against me, cant be on their team"

How do I fight that back. How can I approach them in a way that I can argue against it

Some of Obama's supporters are racist, does he support him?
SOme of McCain's supporters are racist, did he support him?

BrooklynZoo
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM

I would focus on the issues liberals care about when discussing Ron Paul with them. It has to be baby steps. Liberal New Yorkers are often against the war and corporate greed, issues that directly effect minorities disproportionately.

I don't know any Ron Paul supporters personally who hate blacks or hispanics or whomever. The important thing to remember is that libertarians are individualists and thus those who adhere to libertarianism judge persons on their individual merits or lack thereof. Sure, stereotypes and group labels are hard to avoid. But a true libertarian Ron Paul supporter does not use cliches but actions to determine his opinion of another human being. Great men and women come in all colors, as do those who are not so great. The main message to minority liberals is that freedom unites. Where they believe government is the solution they must be shown that freedom in commerce and personal liberty go hand in hand and empower everyone, not just rich industrialists or government stooges.

The MSM loves to divide people while preaching unity. It keeps us weak. It's why the way in which you approach issues of liberty is what is most important when discussing with others. It's not like Obama is doing anyone any favors except his buddies at Goldman Sachs and the Fed.

trey4sports
01-26-2011, 07:35 PM

Confront him with the facts. Ron has said multiple times that his inspirations were ghandi, MLK JR, Rosa Parks, and others who used non-violent disobedience to change the system.

show him some of the user-created Ron Paul Youtube vids

use this one for starters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DggGZqYebrQ

Anti Federalist
01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Because the "left" or "progressives" or "democrats" or whatever you want to call them, have been playing blacks and Hispanics for suckers for decades now.

On passage of the Voting Rights Act, LBJ was heard to comment:

"I'll have those ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years".

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671879197/ref=ase_conservativebo00/002-8280347-1084027

"Progressive" birth control pioneer Margaret Sanger:

On blacks, immigrants and indigents:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born."

On the rights of the handicapped and mentally ill, and racial minorities:
"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control."

low preference guy
01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
many of the minorities come from places with very authoritarian cultures. because of that, they might believe that when there is freedom there is anarchy (in the negative sense). but that doesn't mean some individuals can't be convinced. it probably isn't easy though, just like it's hard to change the minds of white americans who believe that for every problem, somebody ought to pass a law!

Brian4Liberty
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
When the media attacks everything you stand for as being racist and they carry that water on a weekly basis, then minorities are going to be discouraged from attending those events.

People think that the media talking heads will not steer them wrong. This is flat out false, they can legally lie, pick/plant the most ridiculous supporters to represent a movement, and manipulate. They love to divide and conquer.

I was also going to say that it's mainly the media...

Brian4Liberty
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Every candidate will have some supporters who are not nice people. No doubt there were Obama supporters who might not like your brother. We have to focus on the issues, and having shared issues/positions can bring people together.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-27-2011, 02:53 AM
I don't care if the movement had 50 blacks, or 50 whites, or 50 hispanics. I only care if the movement actually has informed, intelligent libertarians. Perhaps your brother should take a second look at his methodology for determining who to support and then analyze again. In other words, look at the man Ron Paul and look at what bills he has introduced, how he has voted, and listen to the speeches he has given. I always have to chuckle at the racist numbskulls who say I am a racist because most libertarians are white. Well, statistically, quite a few minorities tend to be on welfare, and those on welfare tend not to be libertarians, and that holds for all persons. I think it is also silly to expect a movement to be majority 'minority' when something like 80% of America is Caucasian. No movement can stand up to that scrutiny. It would appear then, that all movements in this country are racist except for your Louis Farrakhans and La Raza's ::rollseyes::.

Besides, how can you be a racist and support one of the most staunch abolitionists to have lived in Lysander Spooner? But, of course collectivism sees not logic.

Oh yeah, I would imagine anyone who wants to end the War on Drugs would be someone minorities would support seeing as the brunt of that damnable War is felt in minority communities.

PS: Welcome to the Forum :p

Elwar
01-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Ron Paul has the support of the largest minority group in the country.

The individual.

Tinnuhana
01-28-2011, 02:02 AM
If a person feels affiliated with a certain "demographic" whether minority or not, and has the desire to promote Liberty, that person can get some friends together and invite a speaker or something, and start a website. In the last primary, there were websites like "(Fill in the blank) for Ron Paul "(Arabs, Jews, Mormons, etc.) I know Ron spoke to one American Arab group. Like Glen Bradley suggested during his successful run for the NC legislature, get people interested in the writings of leaders in the communities who agree with what RP stands for.
I know there are several universities over here with anarcho-capitalist professors, some of which attended Mises in the summer. There is so much gov't intervention in business and life and I hope that it will hit home soon how much better it could be. I hope Ron's new book gets translated into Japanese so the local bookstores can start stocking them.
Keep trying. Many of us had wildly illogical political tastes before the last election cycle. Dr. Paul gave us a philosophy on which to base our political decisions. And that's made all the difference.