PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual RPF Members @ CPAC Dinner

malkusm
01-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Last year I organized an informal dinner, which didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, since the day ran long on Friday and Ron was one of the last to speak in the main ballroom.

This year, I'd like to do a bit better in terms of planning as well as attendance. Since most members are arriving on Thursday to vote in the straw poll, I think we should shoot for a Thursday night dinner at a restaurant nearby to the conference. Any suggestions for venue are welcomed.

If you're interested in joining us, please post in this thread so that I can get a general idea of numbers, as we will require a reservation which I'll try to set up next week.

Kotin
01-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Dude do we have to do a dinner?? I am not a formal person.. I like to hang with people in a more casual setting.. Plus how can you talk to everyone you want when confined to sitting at a table..

I say screw the dinner and let's have a god damn Ron Paul Forums Kegger.

These are people who would hang out if not for the distance between all of us.. I don't like formal dinners with casual polite conversation.

It doesn't even have to be a Kegger.. It could be an ice cream social for all i care..

JoshLowry
01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Way to usurp Mark! :p

Some RPF members are under 21. Maybe ask Bradley about a good informal place.

Count me in of course.

angelatc
01-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Now I wish I was going - I'd love to have dinner with ya'll!

malkusm
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Dude do we have to do a dinner?? I am not a formal person.. I like to hang with people in a more casual setting.. Plus how can you talk to everyone you want when confined to sitting at a table..

These are people who would hang out if not for the distance between all of us.. I don't like formal dinners with casual polite conversation.

It doesn't even have to be a Kegger.. It could be an ice cream social for all i care..

Note the first sentence of my OP:

Last year I organized an informal dinner

CaseyJones
01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
woohoo breakin' bread and talkin' bout freedom :p

Kotin
01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Note the first sentence of my OP:

Ehhh.. It's a dinner.. It's a bit formal by default.. I don't want to talk across the table..

A meeting that isn't a dinner is what i am getting at i guess.

Zack
01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
count me in

Matt Collins
01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Hmmmm several problems with this:
(because I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy)

1- The days, schedules, and social situations, are often fluid (as you found out last year)
2- There are possibly 12,000 people attending this event which makes any nearby food sources exceptionally busy
3- Unless you actually make large reservations in advance it's going to be hard to seat everyone
4- The CFL / YAL will probably be having their own official / unofficial dinner / party going on every night
5- If you want to do it chances are you'll have to do it a bit further away which then means transportation issues

However,

1- CPAC and the CFL hotel is right next to a metro station so moving about the city shouldn't be too hard at all
2- There are plenty of places to eat; it's just a matter of finding something people can get to and want to go to
3- Many places would love our business
4- There are 3 or 4 nights available to us so we can probably find time to fit it in

I would like to recommend Red Hot n Blue BBQ (best BBQ outside of Memphis in my not-so-humble-opinion, and I'm from Memphis). Their site is http://www.redhotandblue.com/ 1600 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA only a couple of blocks away from the Rosslyn Metro Station

If you want to do something more touristy there is the Old Ebbitt Grill next to the Treasury and White House. It's kind of a traditional type of place to eat: http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?Section=Main&Category=About_the_Ebbitt
(we all went out to eat there after Ron and Rand's swearing-in parties and it was good)

The BBQ joint has a back room that we could close off if we had enough people. They might even do a buffet if you want to organize all of that. Old Ebitt Grill is a more formal place to eat (shirts with collars).

http://www.ebbitt.com/images/topbar/logo.gif (http://www.ebbitt.com)

http://www.redhotandblue.com/images/franchise_pigs.gif (http://www.redhotandblue.com/)

MRoCkEd
01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
@ Kotin - Not really getting your dinner fears. But we can have more than one meetup if you want to sit this one out.

JoshLowry
01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Ehhh.. It's a dinner.. It's a bit formal by default.. I don't want to talk across the table..

We were talking in the chat about meeting in thursday for an ice breaker and then we can all exchange contact info and decide where we are hanging the rest of the week.

CPAC won't take but half our time up there.

JoshLowry
01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Hmmmm several problems with this:
(because I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy)

1- The days are often fluid (as you found out last year)
2- There are possibly 12,000 people attending this event which makes any nearby food sources exceptionally busy
3- Unless you actually make large reservations in advance it's going to be hard to seat everyone
4- The CFL / YAL will probably be having their own official / unofficial dinner / party going on every night
5- If you want to do it chances are you'll have to do it a bit further away which then means transportation issues

We are two weeks out and planning an unofficial meetup for dinner on Thursday.

YAL/CFLL/RPF memberships overlap. All are welcome to come.

trey4sports
01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Count me in

depends on how many of us there are. If it's a manageable number we could put 4 or 5 tables together at Chipotle or something

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I can't make Thursday at all, we have session on Thursday that will either be looking at nullifying provisions of Obamacare or debating Voter ID. I probably on't get to DC until Friday morning at 2-3AM.

speciallyblend
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Last year I organized an informal dinner, which didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, since the day ran long on Friday and Ron was one of the last to speak in the main ballroom.

This year, I'd like to do a bit better in terms of planning as well as attendance. Since most members are arriving on Thursday to vote in the straw poll, I think we should shoot for a Thursday night dinner at a restaurant nearby to the conference. Any suggestions for venue are welcomed.

If you're interested in joining us, please post in this thread so that I can get a general idea of numbers, as we will require a reservation which I'll try to set up next week.

count the sons of liberty in on this dinner. We should all be arriving thursday afternoon! Sounds like a plan!! I heard they sell 5 star food at the local strip club joking:)

speciallyblend
01-26-2011, 05:27 PM

well we can go outside for a safety break:)

speciallyblend
01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
I can't make Thursday at all, we have session on Thursday that will either be looking at nullifying provisions of Obamacare or debating Voter ID. I probably on't get to DC until Friday morning at 2-3AM.

you can have breakfast with the ravers:)

JoshLowry
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM

I imagine a core group of us will be meeting all over the place.

Wesker1982
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM

this would get my vote if I were attending lol

muzzled dogg
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
down for w.e

BamaAla
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd love to come meet yall. You going to allow newbs?

malkusm
01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
@ Collins - Appreciate both the concerns and the suggestions. I love Red Hot n' Blue (there's one in Annapolis as well), but it might be too much to ask to have everyone cross the river into Arlington for dinner, especially those who are staying at the Adams' Inn or otherwise within walking distance of the conference itself.

(By the way....I haven't been around much for the last month, so this is as good a time as any: :collins: )

Newbs are welcome. We understand if you can't make it. It's very informal. I'm sure we'll be meeting other nights except from Thursday. ....Did I miss any questions?

Jeremy
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM

But where's it going to be???

Matt Collins
01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
@ Collins - Appreciate both the concerns and the suggestions. I love Red Hot n' Blue (there's one in Annapolis as well), but it might be too much to ask to have everyone cross the river into Arlington for dinner, especially those who are staying at the Adams' Inn or otherwise within walking distance of the conference itself.Yeah I understand the logisitcal challenges of it. When I did it last time it only took about 30 minutes to walk to the subway, take the subway, switch lines, get to Rosslyn, and then walk to the restaurant on the other side of the river. I think it cost me less than $3 in subway fare too. Plus their BBQ sandwiches are like $6 which isn't very much at all.

Anyway I don't know many places in DC to eat, so that was the first one I thought of. If we don't do any sort of official meetup or group out there then I'll probably head over there on Wednesday afternoon / evening to eat, even if by myself (although everyone is welcome to join me). Their BBQ is that good! :-)

Thomas
01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
i'll be there!

Thomas
01-27-2011, 12:43 AM
@ Kotin - Not really getting your dinner fears. But we can have more than one meetup if you want to sit this one out.

dinner fears lolz

Imperial
01-27-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm game for whatever.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Would it be possible to rent a conference room for a few hours and just take a collection and order a shit load of pizzas and bottles of coke or something? Whatever everyone else wants is fine with me and I will talk to the group that will be riding in and staying with me through the event but I am pretty sure all 5 of us are down for a partay.

JoshLowry
01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Would it be possible to rent a conference room for a few hours and just take a collection and order a shit load of pizzas and bottles of coke or something?

I really like that idea.

Thomas
01-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Would it be possible to rent a conference room for a few hours and just take a collection and order a shit load of pizzas and bottles of coke or something? Whatever everyone else wants is fine with me and I will talk to the group that will be riding in and staying with me through the event but I am pretty sure all 5 of us are down for a partay.

great idea!

speciallyblend
01-27-2011, 01:37 AM
I really like that idea.

me to:) jd is spot on!!

Kotin
01-27-2011, 03:24 AM

And a keg.....? :D

But anyways yes this sounds good to me.

BamaAla
01-27-2011, 04:05 AM

Here's another vote for that idea. Count me in for $100 on food, drink, and rental fee if this plan goes forward.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Here's another vote for that idea. Count me in for $100 on food, drink, and rental fee if this plan goes forward.

Very generous of you. If Matt is down for this idea than I can call the Omni later on today and see if it is possible to use one of their ballrooms after hours.

malkusm
01-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Great idea Joe! I think everyone so far is in favor of it so I think it's a plan if we can secure a room.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Great idea Joe! I think everyone so far is in favor of it so I think it's a plan if we can secure a room.

awesome.. I will call the Omni and see if I can secure us a great deal for use of one of the ballrooms after hours. Will report in when I hear something.

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Very generous of you. If Matt is down for this idea than I can call the Omni later on today and see if it is possible to use one of their ballrooms after hours.Sounds like an awesome plan to me. I was trying to see if the LOLA girls were gonna throw a party, but I haven't heard anything yet.

A ballroom will be expensive, but try to get one that holds 200 people standing.

Once we do we can print out flyers and pass them out.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
O.K.. - The Omni said they will not allow us to bring in outside food but they could probably accomodate us with a ballroom in the evening and they can cater an event for as many people as we need. They are going to run numbers and get back to me with a price within the hour (and of course I will be haggling that price).

MRoCkEd
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Nice, Joe.

Find out the price (and details) of the catering too.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Update - Marriott cannot gve us permission to use any rooms after hours because CPAC has all of them booked. I called CPAC and got the assistant director on the line and he said that he would like to let us use it but he can't and he suggested the Omni as our best option. Soooooooo just waiting to hear back from the Omni at this point. Hopefully it will not cost us thousands for just a simple dinner and a few hours for a couple hundred people max (I told them 200 or less - if you guys think I should up that number than let me know)

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Hopefully it will not cost us thousands for just a simple dinner and a few hours for a couple hundred people max (I told them 200 or less - if you guys think I should up that number than let me know)HA HA HA!!!! You must not do events very often

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
HA HA HA!!!! You must not do events very often

actually I am a professional auctioneer and have promoted concerts in the past but this is my first CPAC and from what I understand, the last RPF dinner meet-up was not exactly the hottest ticket in town but if it is close and offers free food than I figure we should be able to draw at least 200 of our own to an event like that.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
O.K. I have good news and bad news..

Good - We can have the Diplomat ballroom which could be laid out reception style with a bar (optional), buffet and drink tables with some tables to allow dining and plenty of open space to allow mingling.

Bad - the very best price they are willing to do is $40-$50 a person (depending on what we would like to eat) so we would need an accurate number fast and if it gets too high than this could quickly become an event well beyond our chip-in capabilities.

Other options - The omni does have restuarants in the hotel which are able to be reserved for group functions but they did not have any price information for me at that time. Also, there are many bars, pubs and restaurants in the area so it might be possible to just book one of those for the evening if anyone wants to help call around and see who can accomodate us. I would suggest keeping it very close (within a block or two) so that people will feel up to attending.

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
My guesstimate for dinner for 200 people along with a ballroom in a DC hotel? Not less than $4k and probably not much more than $8k.

It would probably be cheaper if we moved it to Crystal City, but that's of course not within walking distance.

JoshLowry
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Yea, that's ridiculous. I just want some pizza and to shake some hands.

So much cheaper meeting online. :D

Thanks for following up on that Joe.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Yea, that's ridiculous. I just want some pizza and to shake some hands.

Thanks for following up on that Joe.

Yeah it would not be nearly as much if we could just order some pizzas but they will not let us bring in outside food or drink.

JoshLowry
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I talked to BradleyInDC yesterday and asked him to jump in this thread.

He may know of some options.

Anyone have a few thousand sq ft of heated space in DC?

I'm sure we could come up with a couple hundred bucks to use it for 2-3 hours.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 01:55 PM
I am on the phone with the Day's Inn (CT Ave). Hopefully they will have something.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
o.k. Day's Inn has a conference room available on that night but the group sales manager is on break so I have to wait for a return call. Will let everyone know when I have a price.

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Yea, that's ridiculous. I just want some pizza and to shake some hands.Well you've already shaken my hand, who else matters?

Anyone have a few thousand sq ft of heated space in DC?
We bring our own heat! :collins:

teacherone
01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
HA HA HA!!!! You must not do events very often

what's the matter lolmatt?

mad you're not whoring all the attention in this thread?

MRoCkEd
01-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Will Day's Inn let us order pizzas? Beer? :p

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
what's the matter lolmatt?

mad you're not whoring all the attention in this thread?
No, not at all.

I do corporate events all the time and I can say that meeting space, especially in DC during a big event like this, isn't cheap. That's why I say we should find a pub or restaurant with a backroom and take it over. They probably would give us the space for free considering how much food and drink we would consume during our time there. The further away we get in distance from CPAC and downtown DC, the less expensive it will be of course (but then we run into logistical troubles regarding transportation). But the idea of the RPF posse taking over a couple of subway cars and scaring the bureaucrats on their way home from work does sound entertaining. :D

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Will Day's Inn let us order pizzas? Beer? :p

That's what i'm waiting on.

JoshLowry
01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
That's why I say we should find a pub or restaurant with a backroom and take it over. They probably would give us the space for free considering how much food and drink we would consume during our time there. The further away we get in distance from CPAC and downtown DC, the less expensive it will be of course (but then we run into logistical troubles regarding transportation). But the idea of the RPF posse taking over a couple of subway cars and scaring the bureaucrats on their way home from work does sound entertaining. :D

+1, I think this is a better bet than going for conference rooms.

I've heard that DC has a pretty impressive subway: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-27-2011, 02:27 PM
+1, I think this is a better bet than going for conference rooms.

I've heard that DC has a pretty impressive subway: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

I am waiting for Day's Inn and Holiday Inn but they are pretty much the last hopes for the conference room idea anyway. Every other place is either way out of chip-in potential, is booked up or is too far away to be feasable for a lot of people who have never been in the city before to try to find. So will someone be willing to give the surrounding bars, pubs and restaurants a call to check on availability?

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 06:46 PM
I've heard that DC has a pretty impressive subwayYeah the subway there is pretty awesome in terms of easily being able to get around. The only downside is that I think they shut down from midnight to 4am. But they are the BEST way to move about the city bar none. The trick is to make your origin and destination close to a subway stop which isn't that hard to do.

There is a subway stop right next to the CPAC / CFL hotels which makes things VERY convienient. Rates are cheap too, like $3 or less to go across town.

speciallyblend
01-28-2011, 09:24 PM
count me in ,plus the yal parties! we should just invite all the rpf cpac members to the pizza event and the yal parties:)

muzzled dogg
01-28-2011, 09:27 PM
^^^this

for thurday night anyways

Matt Collins
01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs1342.snc4/161959_141479659246239_485663_n.jpg

Thursday, February 10 at 10:00pm - February 11 at 1:00am
Adam's Mill & Bar Grill (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adams-Mill-Bar-Grill/120066528010123)

Celebrate the end of the first day of CPAC with Young Americans for Liberty!

We have the 2nd and 3rd floors reserved so we've got plenty of room for all you liberty-loving CPAC attendees.

No cover charge, and drinks will be discounted to Happy Hour prices.

Feel free to invite your friends! See you Thursday.

SOURCE:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=141479659246239

GunnyFreedom
01-28-2011, 10:47 PM
hopefully a bunch of RPF'ers will also meet on Friday so I get to say hi to folks too. ;)

MelissaCato
01-28-2011, 11:02 PM
How much is parking in DC and where can we park closest to CPAC ? I've never been in a taxi or metro .. can't people just drive around DC ? Just wondering. I've been on a charter bus with all the rally's and they took us everywhere as a group or we walked as a group. This will be different though.

muzzled dogg
01-28-2011, 11:15 PM
friday night
YAL's CPAC After Party: "Ladies' Night" Edition at Madam's Organ
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=184837854880130
????

Matt Collins
01-28-2011, 11:16 PM
How much is parking in DC and where can we park closest to CPAC ? I've never been in a taxi or metro .. can't people just drive around DC ? Just wondering. I've been on a charter bus with all the rally's and they took us everywhere as a group or we walked as a group. This will be different though.
You don't want to drive around DC if you can avoid it. It takes forever, it is extremely stressful, impossible to find a parking place anywhere near where you want to park, and if you do find a place to park your vehicle it's expensive (upwards of $35/day)

Matt Collins
01-28-2011, 11:20 PM
friday night
????
Wow... that one promises to be wild.

muzzled dogg
01-28-2011, 11:35 PM
wild!

dntrpltt
01-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Count me in for any kind of RPF event--It will be nice to meet everyone

GunnyFreedom
01-28-2011, 11:45 PM
friday night
????

Wow... that one promises to be wild.

I'm a little frightened of that place lol. I accepted (and quickly deleted the story from my wall :D ) but if we don't get a bunch of RPFers there I'll not actually attend. I only want to go to hook up with RPF'ers. I'm worried that the loud music and revelry will effectively drown out any useful social interaction.

yeah, just call me "gramps" :mad:

sailingaway
01-28-2011, 11:46 PM

You do know Ron and Rand have a liberty forum event that night, right? After the separately priced sponsor's dinner? So you might want to make it not too late, if you plan to attend.

8:30pm-10:00pm Liberty Forum Thurgood Marshall Ballroom North/West
Don't miss what will be the event at CPAC that will have EVERYONE talking. Ron Paul and Rand Paul will speak on issues of life, liberty, and restoring our Constitution. This "Meet the Press" style discussion will be hosted by Tom Woods. This personal format grants you an inside look into the thoughts of the freedom movement's biggest stars.

Seating is extremely limited and first preference is given to those who have a CPAC ticket. Buy yours today!

You guys had better check in here once in a while and tell those of us checking in what is going on.....

muzzled dogg
01-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Lol grampa gunny

sailingaway
01-28-2011, 11:56 PM

The metro is really easy, you look for a ticket machine, put in your money, then swipe your ticket into the turnstile like an atm card every time you go through. Get a metro map and park at a lot outside the city and metro in. Or if you are at a hotel on the line, better yet, just leave your car at the hotel.

Here is the DC metro map, CPAC is on the red line. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dcmetromap.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dc-metro-map2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dcmetromap.net/&h=1420&w=1247&sz=1404&tbnid=xE1WaaA9D-o88M:&tbnh=240&tbn

dntrpltt
01-29-2011, 12:38 AM
The metro is really easy, you look for a ticket machine, put in your money, then swipe your ticket into the turnstile like an atm card every time you go through. Get a metro map and park at a lot outside the city and metro in. Or if you are at a hotel on the line, better yet, just leave your car at the hotel.

Here is the DC metro map, CPAC is on the red line. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dcmetromap.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dc-metro-map2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dcmetromap.net/&h=1420&w=1247&sz=1404&tbnid=xE1WaaA9D-o88M:&tbnh=240&tbn

You could also go to wmata.com (http://www.wmata.com) to find rail/bus maps.

The CPAC conference is at the Woodley-Park Zoo station.

Whenever I go to DC I always use the metro, its the cheapest, easiest, and fastest way to get around.

Sentinelrv
01-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Is this happening the same time as C4L's sponsor event with Ron and Rand, etc... I'd be interested in getting a bite to eat, but I'm scheduled for this event at that time, 6:30-8:00 as I can see from the C4L schedule, plus there are some things going on right after that. I guess we'll see what happens.

BamaAla
01-29-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm a little frightened of that place lol. I accepted (and quickly deleted the story from my wall :D ) but if we don't get a bunch of RPFers there I'll not actually attend. I only want to go to hook up with RPF'ers. I'm worried that the loud music and revelry will effectively drown out any useful social interaction.

yeah, just call me "gramps" :mad:

Same here. I don't drink and loud music gives me a headache; I'm not 21 anymore.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-29-2011, 01:37 AM
For those of you who will be staying late and using the metro: Please remember that the metro closes at midnight on Thursday and 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Also, I can attest from first hand knowledge that the metro system in D.C. is surprisingly safe but it would not be a bad idea to travel in groups at night and the bigger your group is the better. We have to watch out for each others safety because there are some really weird folks that get on the rail (especially at night)

JoshLowry
01-29-2011, 02:47 AM
We can still change pretty much any details. We haven't even picked a venue.

Would Friday be better sometime for Lunch or Dinner?

Vessol
01-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Looking at the CPAC schedule, Thursday is going to be pretty crazy. I think Friday night would prob be best.

I'm all in of course. Just a few months away from 21, so I dont believe I can go to the YAL afterparty at least after 11pm D:.

forsmant
01-29-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm down

JamesButabi
01-29-2011, 11:19 AM
God damnit, I think im gonna have to start a chipin

GunnyFreedom
01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
We can still change pretty much any details. We haven't even picked a venue.

Would Friday be better sometime for Lunch or Dinner?

I am 1000-fold more into this than that YAL after-party. I did all the hard-partying I will ever need for a lifetime while I was in the Marines. +1776 to Josh's suggestion.

Matt Collins
01-29-2011, 03:29 PM
I am 1000-fold more into this than that YAL after-party. I did all the hard-partying I will ever need for a lifetime while I was in the Marines. +1776 to Josh's suggestion.You are starting to earn the nickname "Grandpa Gunny" :( ;)

KevinR
01-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Thursday after party and Friday dinner?? :)

TheTyke
01-29-2011, 04:59 PM
It sounds like great fun! It would be tough to just pick RPFers out of the crowd, but I've always wanted to meet more of the patriots on these boards. :)

I wonder how dangerous the Metro actually is returning at night? I won't be carrying my normal defense in DC and the TKD is a bit rusty. We're staying in Fairfax, so it's a bit of a trip back.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
I wonder how dangerous the Metro actually is returning at night? I won't be carrying my normal defense in DC and the TKD is a bit rusty. We're staying in Fairfax, so it's a bit of a trip back.

The DC metro is actually a very safe system but at night it would not be a bad idea to travel with some fellow patriots and activists.

MelissaWV
01-29-2011, 06:10 PM
The most dangerous thing on the Metro at night are bums and drunk chicks who think they are in the bathroom. You're trapped in that little car until the next stop. Seriously. It's happened.

BamaAla
01-29-2011, 08:37 PM
It sounds like great fun! It would be tough to just pick RPFers out of the crowd, but I've always wanted to meet more of the patriots on these boards. :)

You can just travel back with me; I'm a registered WMD:p

dntrpltt
01-31-2011, 03:12 PM
So, just to make sure, the RPF dinner is at Murphy's in DC at 6 on Thursday, right? Or is it Friday?

speciallyblend
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Here's an option for FRIDAY Dinner from 5pm-8pm

Asylum Bar
http://www.asylumdc.com/?page_id=759

Happy hour is 5-8pm
$1 off rail drinks and draft beers
.50 wings
$1.50 tacos

And their dinner menu has reasonable prices
http://www.asylumdc.com/?page_id=19

And if you are under 21, it's ok from 5-8pm on Friday
http://www.asylumdc.com/?page_id=759

And it would only cost $2 to get there and back if we take the bus- see map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=205472228504574808836.00049b6640feb8c441890&ll=38.926264,-77.046819&spn=0.016626,0.038581&z=15

Here is official bus map
http://www.dccirculator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=23

I called to ask about seating, etc-
The guy that answered the phone said they had 2 floors and it would be no problem for seating from 5-8pm on Friday night.
He also said there would be no band at that time, so it would be a laid back atmosphere.

I don't have any plans for CPAC schedule on Friday.
4:30-5:30 Book Signing w/ Ron Paul– Campaign for Liberty Booth
Sponsored by Campaign for Liberty

DINNER

8:00-10:00 YAL’s Friday Night Political Shindig– Maryland Ballroom
Sponsored by Young Americans for Liberty
Speakers: Rep. Justin Amash, Radio Hosts Mike Church & Jack Hunter

this sounds nice :) any idea how far this bar is from omni and marriot??? thursday sounds like a better day maybe?? is this place available on thursday??

MRoCkEd
02-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I just called them back - Thursday night will not work for them- they are already booked for a party at that time.

Also I was thinking we had a shorter window for dinner on Thursday because of the Gary Johnson “Our America Initiative” Reception at Stones Throw Restaurant at 7pm

I really like your idea for Friday night, konstl.

Maybe we can all meet somewhere at CPAC, and then travel there together?

speciallyblend
02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
I just called them back - Thursday night will not work for them- they are already booked for a party at that time.

Also I was thinking we had a shorter window for dinner on Thursday because of the Gary Johnson “Our America Initiative” Reception at Stones Throw Restaurant at 7pm

friday is ok with me but to be honest i have no urge to hear or see gary speak! Ron Paul 2012 i will just meet and greet gary at the yal after party! friday is fine by me to.

speciallyblend
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
See map below.
The Marriot is labeled as CPAC, it's the blue dot marker.
The bus route is highlighted in orange.
The Bar is labeled as Asylum Bar & Lounge, it's the blue food and drink marker.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=205472228504574808836.00049b6640feb8c441890&ll=38.926264,-77.046819&spn=0.016626,0.038581&z=15

It's 1.3 miles driving distance.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Woodley+Road+NW,+Washington,+DC+20008+(Washi ngton+Marriott+Wardman+Park)&daddr=2471+18th+St+NW,+Washington+D.C.,+District+o f+Columbia,+20009&geocode=FTABUgIduipo-ynxWInsKba3iTHFx33_vF8atw%3BFcvmUQIdhm1o-yl9pk4s2re3iTGw9PtRb2Ccxw&hl=en&mra=pd&mrcr=0&sll=38.894425,-77.021755&sspn=0.13307,0.308647&ie=UTF8&z=16

sorry was busy getting these chipins together;) sounds fine by me!!

Thomas
02-03-2011, 07:31 PM
i like konstl's idea

malkusm
02-03-2011, 09:59 PM
How's this for a plan: After Rand speaks, and while Rumsfeld is being introduced for his "award," all the RPF folks can leave the main ballroom and meet in the front lobby of the hotel. This should be around 4:30 or so (given that they usually run behind the written schedule). We meet and greet for 10 minutes or so, and then walk over to Asylum as a group.

Plan?

MRoCkEd
02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
How's this for a plan: After Rand speaks, and while Rumsfeld is being introduced for his "award," all the RPF folks can leave the main ballroom and meet in the front lobby of the hotel. This should be around 4:30 or so (given that they usually run behind the written schedule). We meet and greet for 10 minutes or so, and then walk over to Asylum as a group.

Plan?
I'm game!

The Dark Knight
02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
sounds good to me

malkusm
02-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Any idea of about how many people are going to attend this dinner?

If it's going to be a large crowd, we should call the manager, Eric, and have him put us down on the calendar so they can be prepared.

I wasn't at CPAC last year and I'm new to RPF so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Just happy to help out... I know you guys have been busy.

I'll call tomorrow. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know what I find, but it seems like the type of place that wouldn't have an issue with this sort of thing. Although there will likely be a lot of RPF members at CPAC, realistically I expect maybe 20 to show for this thing.

Should I make a poll to gauge interest / get a decent head count?

Vessol
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Plan?

Sounds good to me!

MelissaCato
02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
20 ? Are you kidding ? This Revolution boils down to 20 ?? Ya, we got this . LOL We're better off leaving DC and roundin' up folks. Ron Paul 2012 !!! Where's the closest open mic ? LMAO

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
We should come out of session around 12:45 to 1PM on Thursday.

Legend1104
02-03-2011, 11:52 PM
You people make me depressed. It is like my best friends are having a birthday party and I am grounded. Oh well. Maybe I can come next year.

Yieu
02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Will it be at a place that a vegetarian would also be able to eat*? I very much would like to have dinner with you guys and hang out at CPAC, but I don't want to be excluded from being able to eat with you due to a restaurants' unforgiving menu. I hope that is not too much to ask or a burden on the others. Sitting there without eating is still an option, not the best but I've done it before.

*By 'eat' I do not mean just a salad.

Vessol
02-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Rand's speech is on Thursday.

I called and asked about Thursday evening and the manager said that they were already booked- having a fundraiser, private party during this time.

I agree that this would be a great time to break for dinner, so hopefully this does work out. And if it's going to be a small group then it just may. I told the manager anywhere between 20-50.

...I was also under the impression that it was going to be an open event- so sorry for that confusion.

Did you see if anything is open Friday night? I'd hate to slam a place with a large party of people without prior knowledge. Working in the food service industry before, I know how much that sucks.

Will it be at a place that a vegetarian would also be able to eat*? I very much would like to have dinner with you guys and hang out at CPAC, but I don't want to be excluded from being able to eat with you due to a restaurants' unforgiving menu. I hope that is not too much to ask or a burden on the others. Sitting there without eating is still an option, not the best but I've done it before.

*By 'eat' I do not mean just a salad.

Looking at the google reviews of the Asylum, the first comment was talking about vegan food and so was the second. So much so that I was at first worried it was just a vegan restaurant.

MelissaCato
02-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Do these places even have a Yuengling Lauger ? LMAO

Vessol
02-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Do these places even have a Yuengling Lauger ? LMAO

mmm, I love yuengling

MelissaCato
02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Jesus Christ. Where's the best steak in town ??? LMAO

MelissaCato
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Ya know what. WE gonna rock this country somewherwe !!! M-ght at well be DC area. YeeeeeHAWWWWWW Ron Paul 2012 !!!!

Yieu
02-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Jesus Christ. Where's the best steak in town ??? LMAO

If this was directed at me, then I apologize for mentioning my preference in food type. I try to avoid mentioning it, because when you do, everyone wants to take their turn at making fun. I fear even typing the word that indicates my preference in food type, because immediately people want to laugh in your face and be mean. I am only trying to refrain from eating what God has commanded me not to eat, and it is not fun to be laughed at. If this post was not directed at me, then please just ignore this post. I mean no ill will, and I apologize at every moment, but after hearing so much ridicule throughout my life, it is hard to ignore it when it happens, or seems to happen.

muzzled dogg
02-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Why did god give you canines then? To test your faith?

Tryin bit to sound defending; just curious

On the blashphemous side to the diet coin, I've spent the last year eating only Paleolithic foods because I believe that's what humans evolved to eat

Yieu
02-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Why did god give you canines then? To test your faith?

Sure, that's an easy question, but it is derailing the thread a bit and I do not want to further open myself up to attacks...

The answer is that I do not have true 'canine' teeth. Look at my teeth, and then look at the teeth of a tiger, and try telling me they are designed the same. They're not. Carnivorous canines are round, longer, and sharp. Mine are flat, short, and relatively dull.

I do have somewhat sharp teeth that work well for ripping the flesh off an apple, though!

On the blashphemous side to the diet coin

I do not judge anyone or consider other peoples' diets to be wrong. I am often judged, but I try not to judge others. God has commanded me to eat only certain things; this does not apply to atheists.

I've spent the last year eating only Paleolithic foods because I believe that's what humans evolved to eat

You believe that, but I do not. :) I believe that the only reason to eat flesh, is for the taste of it. There is nothing in it that any human body needs nutritionally, that is not readily found in other sources of food. But every individual certainly has every right to eat whatever they please, regardless of whether it is only for the taste. That does not cause me to judge anyone, everyone has the right to live as the please, and eat what they please.

Edited to add: I do not mean this as a criticism, but does not Paleolithic imply a time when humans were less evolved? Therefore what was eaten at a time when humans were less evolved, does not seem to me to be an indicator of what is 'more evolved' to eat.

muzzled dogg
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
yieu we can discuss @ CPAC :)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
If this was directed at me, then I apologize for mentioning my preference in food type. I try to avoid mentioning it, because when you do, everyone wants to take their turn at making fun. I fear even typing the word that indicates my preference in food type, because immediately people want to laugh in your face and be mean. I am only trying to refrain from eating what God has commanded me not to eat, and it is not fun to be laughed at. If this post was not directed at me, then please just ignore this post. I mean no ill will, and I apologize at every moment, but after hearing so much ridicule throughout my life, it is hard to ignore it when it happens, or seems to happen.

I did not author the post you were responding to but I just wanted you to know that I really admire you standing behind your convictions. I don't know why people would bash you for what you want to eat but pay them no mind and do what you feel is right for you.

As for the subject matter at hand, I would be fine with finding a restaurant that had an extended vegetarian menu so that we all can find something we like.

squarepusher
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM

lol Kotin cuts right to it

edit: I wont be there this year, but CPAC 2012 may be in my future! to next year!

Yieu
02-04-2011, 12:33 PM
yieu we can discuss @ CPAC :)

I would be glad to. :) Personal discussions are better, because out here on the wild, wild Internet, anyone could read what I post and I could accidentally, unintentionally upset them and then I could get berated for it, so I try to avoid the topic unless I have good reason to mention it (and I did have good reason in this thread because the venue we select will determine if I can eat), or if I am asked reasonable questions about it.

I did not author the post you were responding to but I just wanted you to know that I really admire you standing behind your convictions. I don't know why people would bash you for what you want to eat but pay them no mind and do what you feel is right for you.

As for the subject matter at hand, I would be fine with finding a restaurant that had an extended vegetarian menu so that we all can find something we like.

Thank you, I really do appreciate it when people are understanding, your kindness means a lot. I don't understand why people have a tendency to bash for what I want to eat, and I should pay them no mind and try to, but after a while it can be troublesome. The fact that I do it for religious reasons, and respect what others eat, I would hope would lessen that tendency.

Edited to add:

Looking at the google reviews of the Asylum, the first comment was talking about vegan food and so was the second. So much so that I was at first worried it was just a vegan restaurant.

That's one of the options we were looking at? I haven't read the whole thread yet, but that sounds decent.

Kotin
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I would be glad to. :) Personal discussions are better, because out here on the wild, wild Internet, anyone could read what I post and I could accidentally, unintentionally upset them and then I could get berated for it, so I try to avoid the topic unless I have good reason to mention it (and I did have good reason in this thread because the venue we select will determine if I can eat), or if I am asked reasonable questions about it.

Thank you, I really do appreciate it when people are understanding, your kindness means a lot. I don't understand why people have a tendency to bash for what I want to eat, and I should pay them no mind and try to, but after a while it can be troublesome. The fact that I do it for religious reasons, and respect what others eat, I would hope would lessen that tendency.

I am a vegetarian as well.. the only exception is that I eat fish.

Yieu
02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I am a vegetarian as well.. the only exception is that I eat fish.

Cool, that is nice to know. :) I do believe it is in tune with your religion's laws/commandments as well as mine to abstain from flesh (that is if your title is accurate).

BrooklynZoo
02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Can't we just all eat pizza? lol

devil21
02-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Fwiw, Asylum is a pretty small place, a hole in the wall really. If you're expecting a large group it's going to be pretty tight. And much of their food is hippy liberal vegan stuff ;)

Yall have fun. Wish I could make it to CPAC this year but got other stuff going on. Next year!

My suggestion would just be to set a time for everyone to meet in the/a hotel lobby when there's a decent gap in the schedule. Shouldn't be any issues with a bunch of pizzas and stuff and yall just milling around, meeting each other. Some geeky nametags would help!

The Dark Knight
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
pizza is easy and simple and cheap.

muzzled dogg
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
i dont eat grains or cheese but pizza sounds fine

Matt Collins
02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
And much of their food is hippy liberal vegan stuff ;)
Here is their menu: http://www.asylumdc.com/

Zack
02-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I also have nothing against pizza and it's simple and one of easiest ways to feed a bunch of faces in short order. Plus, according to google maps there are like 6 of them right next to the Asylum bar. Or whatever me no care.

MRoCkEd
02-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I also have nothing against pizza and it's simple and one of easiest ways to feed a bunch of faces in short order. Plus, according to google maps there are like 6 of them right next to the Asylum bar. Or whatever me no care.

Let's all meet up and see what we feel like at the time. The most important thing is that we all go to the main lobby at 5:30 PM Friday.

Matt Collins
02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Let's all meet up and see what we feel like at the time. That's a recipe for disaster... group decision making :-P

Tinnuhana
02-06-2011, 03:31 AM
Amy's brand has a nice rice-base pizza and the cheese they use is cured with microbial rennet. They also have no-cheese pizzas. At AG's (Annual Gatherings) we have a whole suite reserved for hospitality, with all-day food and things like midnight chocolate "orgies". For next year, maybe something like that could be reserved and everybody could help stock it with food of choice.

squarepusher
02-06-2011, 06:29 AM
That's a recipe for disaster... group decision making :-P

omg central planners/social engineer!@

MelissaWV
02-06-2011, 07:34 AM
That's a recipe for disaster... group decision making :-P

Group decisions are great... as long as they allow for enough time to argue about the details. I'm not sure you guys will get any grub before 8pm :p

Matt Collins
02-06-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pkhpfqzLtw

Vessol
02-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Is the Collins going to to the Truffle Shuffle when he gets drunk?

Matt Collins
02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Nope. But I did see that film "The Goonies" for the first time ever last weekend.

speciallyblend
02-06-2011, 06:51 PM

don't worry i have a file we can add to all our cellphones:) snickers with devious grin. I will send it encoded to wikileaks incase the collins tries to seize my file:) hehe

ronpaulhawaii
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
and a good time was had by all... Shot shows half the crowd...

https://s-hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/169009_10150143879542953_663957952_7867382_8169846 _n.jpg

malkusm
02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
and a good time was had by all... Shot shows half the crowd...

https://s-hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/169009_10150143879542953_663957952_7867382_8169846 _n.jpg

Not showing up for me, unfortunately....

But yep, the event went quite well. Thanks to everyone who came out! I think we ended up with 30+ forum members! :)

EDIT: It's there now.

Brent Pierce
02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
It was a good time. The cream of the CPAC crowd.

Bruno
02-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Next year, I hope! Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all!

TheTyke
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
It was awesome! Definitely great fun to meet so many great patriots in person after working with them for years online. It was very inspiring that so many from the forums could make it!

I missed a lot too unfortunately... wanted to meet Cowlsey, Speciallyblend and others. Perhaps next time. :)

devil21
02-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Next year, I hope! Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all!

Yeah Im definitely penciling CPAC in next year too. It's gonna be NUTS if Ron runs again.

teacherone
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
i dont eat grains or cheese but pizza sounds fine
lulz

muzzled dogg
02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
lol wtf