PDA

View Full Version : Rand was just on Cavuto

tangent4ronpaul
01-26-2011, 03:37 PM
talking about his spending cut bill.

Does anyone know what all he's planning on cutting here? Outside of arguably, the Dept of Education, I didn't see a single regulatory agency listed. Just just a lot of things people like from gvmt.

He's also only wants to do this one time, but freely admits it only addresses a third of the problem. And that's just to get us out of the red, not to pay off the debt. A third of our tax dollars would still be paying interest, even if the cuts were 1.5 Trillion!

:mad:

-t

low preference guy
01-26-2011, 03:38 PM
He's also only wants to do this one time

false

Inkblots
01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
The entire budget cut bill, as well as a longer white paper explaining and justifying the proposed cuts, is available in PDF format on Rand's website: http://www.randpaul2010.com/2011/01/senator-paul-introduces-500-billion-in-spending-cuts/

If you take the time to read it, you'll see serious cuts or outright eliminations proposed for many regulatory agencies, including the EPA, the FDA, and the CPSC.

Matt Collins
01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Cavuto was hard on him, but in a good way I guess.

And he also said very good things about Rand when the interview was over.

MRoCkEd
01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
This is just the start. He said he is going to propose a balanced budget.

But nobody (save Mike Lee) is going to even support $500B in cuts.

Inkblots
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Also, please note that this is just the first part of Rand's proposals to balance the Federal budget. Now that he's rolled out his plan to cut discretionary spending, next he'll be turning his attention to mandatory and entitlement programs.

One foot in front of the other, friends. Can't do it all at once, you know!

low preference guy
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Outside of arguably, the Dept of Education, I didn't see a single regulatory agency listed. Just just a lot of things people like from gvmt.

Am I reading this right? Are you a RPF member complaining that Rand is going to cut your favorite government programs?

Slutter McGee
01-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Does anyone know what all he's planning on cutting here? Outside of arguably, the Dept of Education, I didn't see a single regulatory agency listed. Just just a lot of things people like from gvmt.

He's also only wants to do this one time, but freely admits it only addresses a third of the problem. And that's just to get us out of the red, not to pay off the debt. A third of our tax dollars would still be paying interest, even if the cuts were 1.5 Trillion!

-t

Rand Paul is talking about cutting the Federal Government in ways nobody has proposed in ages. And it is pissing me off. Because he is not cutting the areas I want cut first.

Is this what you are trying to say?

Secondly, there is no way in hell this plan passes anytime soon. I think his proposal is more of a wake up call, a demonstration that at least one person is going to take the issue seriously in Washington

Slutter McGee

tangent4ronpaul
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Am I reading this right? Are you a RPF member complaining that Rand is going to cut your favorite government programs?

When they are flashing cuts on the bottom of the screen and not a single regulatory agency is mentioned, but the parks service, the Smithsonian institute, etc are - yeah, this doesn't sound good.

That's like saying shut down the neighborhood playground, but keep the building inspector to rape you for fees and permits if you want to put up a shed or deck.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
The entire budget cut bill, as well as a longer white paper explaining and justifying the proposed cuts, is available in PDF format on Rand's website: http://www.randpaul2010.com/2011/01/senator-paul-introduces-500-billion-in-spending-cuts/

If you take the time to read it, you'll see serious cuts or outright eliminations proposed for many regulatory agencies, including the EPA, the FDA, and the CPSC.

Thanks, will look up. Those are the kind of things I want to see cut!

-t

sofia
01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
$500 billion in cuts still leaves us with an annual budget deficit of 1 trillion!

We need to cut 1.5 trillion just to balance the budget! Rand's plan is bullshit. Even his father said that its not nearly enough.

Why cant anyone other than Ron speak the whole damn truth about what needs to be done?!

There must be massive cuts to SS and Medicare and Medicaid.

low preference guy
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM
When they are flashing cuts on the bottom of the screen and not a single regulatory agency is mentioned, but the parks service, the Smithsonian institute, etc are - yeah, this doesn't sound good.

he is proposing to privatize the Smithsonian, not eliminate it

low preference guy
01-26-2011, 03:57 PM
$500 billion in cuts still leaves us with an annual budget deficit of 1 trillion!

We need to cut 1.5 trillion just to balance the budget! Rand's plan is bullshit. Even his father said that its not nearly enough.

Why cant anyone other than Ron speak the whole damn truth about what needs to be done?!

Ron also said that Rand is bold for doing this.

Those are not the only cuts he is proposing. He also plans to address the entitlements, but separately. This is just a 12 pages bill to get things started.

The only thing that is full of shit is your post.

Bergie Bergeron
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM

He knows it's not enough. But it's the first step for something more. How do you except Congress to vote for 1.5 trillion in cuts when they're probably afraid of voting for 500 billion?

johnrocks
01-26-2011, 04:00 PM

I don't know sofia, I think it may be that;unlike folks here; most seem to not want to hear the truth with the Cons saying cut domestic but not Foreign and Defense,liberals saying cut defense but not domestic, folks wants cuts but not to their own sacred cows;be it Medicare, Education, road projects or farm subsidies it seems.

I think Rand is just more pragmatic and sees that a trillion dollar cut won't pass and wants to see how this goes, maybe within a year or so, we'll have an opportunity to see ;at least; a balanced budget request by him and his collegues. Here's hoping.

TheDriver

This isn't his balanced budget plan, it's an amendment to cut $500 billion dollars. Where's Ron's?

FSP-Rebel

I feel ya but the GOP is backing away from cutting a mere $100 bill, so $1.5 trill is out of the question this year. If nothing else, cutting $500 bill makes Rand look like the most fiscal conservative in the entire Congress. It's not like Ron has a budget plan other than his usual voting no on everything.

specsaregood
That's like saying shut down the neighborhood playground, but keep the building inspector to rape you for fees and permits if you want to put up a shed or deck.

Oh you trust what the media is flashing at you? How naïve; have you learned nothing? :) Go read it yourself. Of course the effing media is going to flash the sensational stuff to get people riled up.

Stary Hickory
01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Well this is the reason its time to all hold hands and cut the budget in every way.

sofia
01-26-2011, 04:04 PM
He knows it's not enough. But it's the first step for something more. How do you except Congress to vote for 1.5 trillion in cuts when they're probably afraid of voting for 500 billion?

If you want the seller of a home to come down $10,000 in his asking price, you don't ask for a $3000 cut.

specsaregood
01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
If you want the seller of a home to come down $10,000 in his asking price, you don't ask for a $3000 cut.

If you want to expose the hypocrisy of a GOP that claims to be for cutting the deficit, you start at what should be considered reasonable. When they flinch at the result of their own rhetoric, you throw the haymaker.

HOLLYWOOD
01-26-2011, 04:12 PM
CBO came out with the deficit report this morning, here is the official PDF: www.cbo (http://www.%3Cb%3Ecbo%3C/b%3E).gov/ftpdocs/120xx/doc12039/SummaryforWeb.pdf

$4.3 TRILLION in additional debt over the next 5 years.

That means Congress will have to raise the national debt ceiling to $20 Trillion for 2015-16

TheDriver
01-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Videos are up @ http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/your-world-cavuto/index.html#/v/4512033/time-to-stop-spending-part-1/?playlist_id=86929

nobody's_hero
01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
The bill is 12 pages long.

Give him a break. Let him take things one step at a time. Or would you rather that Rand let a bunch of staffers, lawyers, and special interest groups put together a 5,000 page bill that no one knows what's in it?

I like this bill. I can sit down and read it during a lunch break, instead of a spring break.

sailingaway
01-26-2011, 04:50 PM

-t

LOL! Go to his web site and read the bill, read the overview (how often do you see a Senator quote Bastiat in his white paper for a bill?) and enjoy. It isn't all he's doing. He told CNN he is working up a social security reform in a separate bill, for example, but this is $500 billion in the 8 months left of the EXISTING budget year. And he's only had the numbers to work with for a little over a month. He's going to work up a full budget plan by the end of the year.

Come on, give him some credit.

Inkblots
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Maybe you should at some point bother to read or listen to what Rand has repeatedly said about his plan. As I wrote above, this is just the first part of Rand's proposals to balance the Federal budget. First he laid out his idea for cutting discretionary spending, next he'll be turning his attention to mandatory spending and entitlement programs, which make up the largest share of the budget and should, in time, yield the cuts needed to fully balance the budget.

Brett85
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Do you not realize that there won't be one single Senator other than Mike Lee who will even go along with $500 billion in spending cuts? But according to your purist libertarian thinking Rand has to propose something that everybody will just laugh at.

Brett85
01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
He's going to work up a full budget plan by the end of the year.

Yeah, but I just don't know how he can come up with a proposal in one year to balance the budget when he's said that he doesn't want to cut benefits for SS and Medicare. The cuts in SS and Medicare that he wants would take place later on for people 55 and under. The math simply doesn't add up.

CUnknown
01-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe people are coming down on Rand for doing this. Isn't this exactly what he was elected to do? Sure, it's not enough, but it's a start. Sure, there might be a couple things in there that I wish he wouldn't cut, but overall this bill is pure win. Go Rand!!

Matt Collins
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBcVEAdFmjY&feature=player_embedded

Feeding the Abscess
01-26-2011, 07:00 PM
If the next part of his plan is to cut $500 billion in empire spending, I swear on everything I will go to DC and kiss him on the mouth.

Matt Collins
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
If the next part of his plan is to cut $500 billion in empire spending, I swear on everything I will go to DC and kiss him on the mouth.

Pericles
01-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Also, please note that this is just the first part of Rand's proposals to balance the Federal budget. Now that he's rolled out his plan to cut discretionary spending, next he'll be turning his attention to mandatory and entitlement programs.

One foot in front of the other, friends. Can't do it all at once, you know!

Just about the only serious plan to get the budget in balance out there.

Suzu
01-27-2011, 01:48 AM
The federal government has been spending like a drunken sailor in every department. They all could trim wastefulness and duplicate efforts. I had to learn to get by on 60% less income every month starting 10 years ago, and since then lots of items I can't do without have gone WAY UP in price. So it's more like I am now living on 1/4 or 1/3 of what I had ten years ago. If I can do this much, government ought to be able to cut back quite a bit.

anaconda
01-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Tube?

jct74
01-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Tube?

post #30

ElCount
01-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Why are people bashing Rand for not being an outright absolutist? I kinda like the idea of focusing one at a time on separate, concise, readable, pieces of legislation with merit. The bill is 12 pages long, while the Health Care bill was something like 2700. Just like there are issues in health care that can and should be addressed one step at a time (ie. tort reform, pre-existing conditions, selling insurance across state lines, etc...), there are things in the budget that can be addressed one step at a time.

Better to fight for $500 billion in spending cuts with an initial chance of success of 20% than $3 trillion in spending cuts with zero chance of success whatsoever. And it's not as if Ron Paul is an absolutist when it comes to taking small steps in the right direction either. Do we all bash him for introducing legislation aimed at preventing the federal government from raiding the SS trust fund (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-219) when instead he could propose bills aimed at getting rid of Social Security outright? Or bills that would phase it out? No.

Paul's got my support with this one. And if there is success with this, there will be greater momentum for future success with other cuts. We can cut education in one bill. Energy in another. Military in another. Homeland Security in another. And if we can only get 2 out of 4, that should be fine for all of us.

Eric21ND
01-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Some of you want to transverse the stars without having invented the wheel.

Brett85
01-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Better to fight for $500 billion in spending cuts with an initial chance of success of 20% than $3 trillion in spending cuts with zero chance of success whatsoever.

But even this proposal has a 0% chance of actually passing. Rand said that he just proposed it to start the conversation. Mike Lee would be the only other Senator who might go along with it. And despite that people still are criticizing Rand for not going far enough. Rand simply can't please some people here no matter what he does.

Slutter McGee
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Is sofia making illogical ridiculous comments. Well color me surprised.

Slutter McGee

HOLLYWOOD
01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
In FY2010 budget, then Congressman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz who was the chairman of:
1 United States House Appropriations Subcommittee on the Legislative Branch
2 U.S. House Appropriations Subcommittee on Financial Service and General Government

Even in the massive deficits, she and her committee increased spending by 14.5% on themselves (Washington DC & Capital Hill) just in one year AND that doesn't include their "TRICKSTER" supplementals added during the budget year! Remember the $200 Million to ReSod the national Mall?

Rand to the rescue!

For Congress, Paul’s bill would cut $1.3 billion by reducing the legislative budget to 2008 spending levels. The plan also would eliminate the Government Printing Office, which, according to a release from Paul’s office, spends $30 million a year to print the “rarely read” Congressional Record. The cut represents 23% savings, Paul said.
For the judicial branch, $2.4 billion is cut — a 32% reduction.
This morning on MSDNC's Morning Joe... they were attacking Rand Paul's $500 Billion in cuts.

The federal government has been spending like a drunken sailor in every department. They all could trim wastefulness and duplicate efforts. I had to learn to get by on 60% less income every month starting 10 years ago, and since then lots of items I can't do without have gone WAY UP in price. So it's more like I am now living on 1/4 or 1/3 of what I had ten years ago. If I can do this much, government ought to be able to cut back quite a bit.

Department of Agriculture:

Return spending for food stamps and farm and crop subsides to 2008 levels
Eliminate the Agricultural Research Service and National Institute of Food and Agriculture, because Paul said the agricultural industry can privately conduct research like other industries. Currently the top programs help conduct research and promote that research.
Eliminate the National Resources Conservation Services, because Paul said the issue of conservation is best left to the states.
Eliminate the Foreign Agricultural Service and reduce the Forest Service by 20% because Paul said “federal forests should be turned over to state or private interests” for use as timber, conservation or recreation.

Defense/Energy

Paul’s bill would eliminate the Department of Energy and would transfer some functions to the Department of Defense. Eliminating the department would save $44 million.
Cut Defense by $47.5 billion or 6.5% by selling unused bases and buildings overseas, turning over security in Iraq and Afghanistan to local forces and reducing the size of the military and civilian employment.
It also includes some of the proposed cuts Defense Secretary Robert Gates has proposed.
Transfer nuclear weapon procurement and disposal of nuclear waste from the Dept. of Energy to Dept. of Defense.

Homeland Security

The department created after the Sept. 11 attacks would see a $24 billion reduction (43%)
The Transportation Security Administration, largely tasked with airport security and screening, would be cut 40%. Paul is advocating for airports to switch to private security firms to do the screening, which would be overseen by federal officials.
Move the Coast Guard from Homeland Security to the Department of Defense and reduce their budget to 2008 spending levels

Education

Paul’s bill advocates for a $78 billion cut, preserving only federal Pell grants while transferring all other services to the state and local level, something for which Paul consistently advocated during the campaign. It would mean an 83% cut to the department.

Health and Human Services/Housing and Urban Development

The bill would eliminate HUD, saving $53 billion
Health and Human Services Discretionary spending would be reduced by 26% or $26.5 billion
The bill does not touch Medicare or Medicaid when it comes to changes or cuts.
The Food and Drug Administration would be cut 62%
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cut 28%
The National Institute on Health, which performs high-level research on diseases, would be cut 37%.
Indian Health Services would be reduced 46 percent and the Health Resources and Services Administration reduced 34% by eliminating 1,645 free health clinics available to migrant workers.

State/Justice

$20 billion reduction (71%) by reducing the amount of foreign aid sent to other countries, which Paul said wasn’t effective and often is misused by countries receiving the money.
Justice Department back to 2008 levels, eliminate Office of Justice Programs, which helps local law enforcement with techniques, including “neighborhood watches.”

Commerce

Cut the department by $5 billion, a 54% reduction.
Specifically reduce the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration 36%.

Interior

Send spending back to 2008 levels, a $11 billion cut (78%).
Eliminate Bureau of Indian Affairs and Bureau of Reclamation
Reduce Land and Mineral Management 50 percent, U.S. Geological Survey 29 percent, National Park Service 42%.

Transportation/Corps of Engineers/EPA

Transportation would be cut 49% or $4.8 billion by cutting Amtrak subsides, setting the Federal Highway Administration and Federal Transit Administration budgets at the gas tax receipts (projected $37 billion) and sending the rest of the department into 2008 levels.
Save $1.8 billion by combining all Army Corps of Engineer districts into one national district.
Cut the Environmental Protection Agency 29%, by $3.2 billion, in a simple reduction.

Paul’s bill also includes a 25 percent cut to NASA’s funding ($4.5 billion), the elimination of the International Assistance Program, a 62% cut to the National Science Foundation and a 22% cut to the Federal Communication Commission.
Paul also includes $2 billion in cuts by eliminating funding to the follow programs and by privatizing the Smithsonian Institute:

Affordable Housing Program
Commission on Fine Arts
Consumer Production Safety Commission
Corporation for Public Broadcasting (which helps fund National Public Radio and the Public Broadcasting System)
National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for Humanities

Another part of Paul’s plan would generate more revenue by collecting owed taxes worth up to $3 billion.
Paul also called for a federal pay freeze, reducing federal travel, repealing the Davis-Bacon prevailing wage law, selling unused federal buildings and land and reducing the federal vehicle budget. And the proposal would end the Troubled Assistance and Recovery Program — known as TARP — that was set up in 2008 to bail out struggling banks. That set of changes would bring in $43 billion in extra revenue, according to the bill’s estimates.
The least-affected department was the U.S. Department of Labor, which would take just a 2% hit, according to Paul’s bill. It allows for continued payment of unemployment benefits, although it warns about keeping the current limit of 99 weeks, by keeping the Employment and Training Administration.
The bill also would keep the Office of Mine Safety and Health, the Office of Worker’s Compsenation and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, without cutting any of those offices’ funding. But it does eliminate any remaining programs for a $2.8 billion cut.