PDA

View Full Version : FOURTEEN cosponsors for NC Farmer's Freedom on the Second day!

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Dan Ingle of Alamance, Shirley Randleman of Wilkes, George Cleveland of Onslow, Larry Brown of Davidson and Forsyth, Jimmy Dixon of Duplin and Onslow, Bill Cook of Beaufort and Pitt, Sarah Stevens of Alleghany and Surry, Pat McElraft of Carteret and Jones, Jeff Collins of Nash, Bill McGee of Forsyth, Jonathan Jordan of Ashe and Watauga, Norman Sanderson of Craven and Pamlico, Darrell McCormic of Iredell Surry and Yadkin, and Harry Warren of Rowan.

MRoCkEd
01-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Awesome! Keep it up!

aclove
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Jesus, Glen. You're not even going to C4L to put pressure to get additional co-sponsors and call for a roll-call vote at this rate! Keep it up!

Cherder
01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Is there somewhere we can keep an eye on the status of the bill? I'd also like to read the text, or a summary of what its implications are.

Aldanga
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Info available here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?271817-North-Carolina-Farmer-s-Freedom-Protection-Act

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Is there somewhere we can keep an eye on the status of the bill? I'd also like to read the text, or a summary of what its implications are.

Once I file the bill, it will be available on the NCGA.net site. I would have filed it already, but I am aiming at 40 cosponsors before I do, as once the bill is filed you only have one additional hour to collect more cosponsors.

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Info available here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?271817-North-Carolina-Farmer-s-Freedom-Protection-Act

Thanks!

We have the final draft now that will be introduced. I am using it to gather cosponsors. I wish I had the text in an electronic form but I do not :(

The provisions are pretty much identical to what they were in that thread and what I have up at http://nc49.org/legis/ EXCEPT that we've added a labeling provision, that growers who wish to come under the provisions of this act need to label the packaging of the produce "Made in North Carolina."

ETA -- the labeling provision was intended mostly to "soften the blow" for the North Carolina Firearms Freedom Act also upcoming, which required a labeling provision to be effective.

olehounddog
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Looks like a lot of support from northwestern piedmont and foothills.

GunnyFreedom
01-27-2011, 04:05 PM
We are up to 21 (including myself) sponsors on Farmer's Freedom. The 14 originals PLUS:

Glen Bradley (R), Primary - Franklin Nash Halifax
Dewey Hill (D), Primary - Brunswick, Columbus
Bert Jones (R), cosponsor - Rockingham
Ric Killian (R), cosponsor - Mecklenburg
Efton Sager (R), cosponsor - Wayne
Phil Shepard (R), cosponsor - Onslow
Fred Steen (R), cosponsor - Rowan

I am currently working on Tim Spear (D) as another Primary (Chowan, Dare, Hyde, Washington)

AND I am trying to decide which Republican to pick up as my 4th Primary.

If you know anybody who lives in Dewey Hill's district, it would be amazing to drop a thank you for our first Democratic sponsor, and if you know anybody who lives in Tim Spear's district that can help encourage him to sponsor (and be a primary sponsor!) that would be amazing!

Yieu
01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Very interesting. I didn't think it would catch on that quickly, and I recall you saying you thought the same. It makes me wonder if there are that many that already believe in State nullification, or if they just realize how bad that "food safety" law is. Either way, exciting times ahead.

GunnyFreedom
01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Very interesting. I didn't think it would catch on that quickly, and I recall you saying you thought the same. It makes me wonder if there are that many that already believe in State nullification, or if they just realize how bad that "food safety" law is. Either way, exciting times ahead.

All that, PLUS "retail politics" applied as a State Legislator. I'm once again going door-to-door hitting up people and asking them to sign on. I expect there will be at least another 5 or so very senior Republicans trickling in over the next week, while I turn my focus onto Democrats for cosponsorships. If we break 40 sponsors in a strong bipartisan way, I believe this will pass both chambers (already have 4 Senators interested)

GunnyFreedom
01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
What has REALLY REALLY had an impact is constituent contacts. People from within a members district either calling them to ask them to cosponsor, or thanking them FOR cosponsoring, well, that has been enormous. Senior members just don't come up to Freshmen asking to sign on to their bills. They just don't. Well, thanks to our NC network they are! :D :D :D

Yieu
01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Perhaps this is indicative of the change in political climate that Ron Paul and our movement have been trying to achieve? Perhaps it could be taken as more people being attracted to our libertarian views? Perhaps Ron Paul 2012 has more of a chance than 2008?! I may be reading too much into it, but seriously, this type of legislation is a big thing to further our goals and ideas.

This legislation passing would be a bigger deal than Obamacare being nullified by a State, because it would not be seen as a partisan attempt to demean the party in power. It would prove that State nullification can work, and can be bipartisan. It is the type of bipartisanship we want -- where both sides work together to stop harmful legislation, instead of working together to implement harmful legislation.

It would be easy to underestimate the effect the passage of this law would be. The effects of it, both symbolic and real, could be more than we expected.

Yieu
01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
The provisions are pretty much identical to what they were in that thread and what I have up at http://nc49.org/legis/ EXCEPT that we've added a labeling provision, that growers who wish to come under the provisions of this act need to label the packaging of the produce "Made in North Carolina."

ETA -- the labeling provision was intended mostly to "soften the blow" for the North Carolina Firearms Freedom Act also upcoming, which required a labeling provision to be effective.

Hmm, the "Made in North Carolina" label is a little concerning, but only slightly so. On one hand, it does clearly mark that a particular food item is protected under this Act, and it also would help the sales of items with the label much in the same way that "Made in America" helps sales as people do like to support their local economy, which is a good thing -- the label will definitely encourage people to purchase produce with that label. The only slight concern is local gardens and farmers markets and such, where packaging sometimes is not used. Where would they put the label? Sometimes they just have produce without packaging. How will that be handled? Only a slight issue, but one to consider.

GunnyFreedom
01-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Hmm, the "Made in North Carolina" label is a little concerning, but only slightly so. On one hand, it does clearly mark that a particular food item is protected under this Act, and it also would help the sales of items with the label much in the same way that "Made in America" helps sales as people do like to support their local economy, which is a good thing -- the label will definitely encourage people to purchase produce with that label. The only slight concern is local gardens and farmers markets and such, where packaging sometimes is not used. Where would they put the label? Sometimes they just have produce without packaging. How will that be handled? Only a slight issue, but one to consider.

It's not all that complicated, really. The labling is not a mandate, but only a requirement to come under the FFPA provision, and it can be as simple as handwriting on a brown paper sack. To a certain extent, there is always packaging. even if it's just the grocery bag that the shopper at the Farmer's Market uses to carry the produce home with them. Get a rubber stamp that says "Made in NC" and stamp a stack of paper bags (or write with a Sharpie marker on plastic bags) and viola, no big bad Fed can stop the customer.

The hidden side of this is that it softens the blow for the Firearms Freedom Act, wich requires a labeling provision to be effective. The idea is to win Farmer's Freedom in a big, big way, and then introduce Firearms Freedom which has nearly total commonality. The primary idea behind the labeling provision was to build "muscle memory" in advance of Firearms Freedom.

The provision is pretty simple, it reads,

"SECTION 4. Labeling. -- In order to fall under the provisions of this act, the packaging of all foods and produce that are produced and remain within the borders of the State of North Carolina shall be printed, stamped, or otherwise labled "Made in North Carolina" or "Made in N.C."

First, you only have to use labeling if you WANT to be exempted from the Federal regulation. It's basically being used as a statement of will "I want to opt-in" to the act, AND it clearly identifies produce that cannot be touched by the Feds.

Second, the languauge as it already stands would include handwritten labeling, but I intend to offer a committee amendment to specifically include handwriting, and to add "the packaging or the surface of all foods" in order to allow people to write or stamp, say, a watermelon on it's rind with "Made in NC" in order to qualify. It's basically just an "opt-in" measure, and most importantly it paves the way for the NC Firearms Freedom Act coming out next week.

libertybrewcity
01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Does this include marijuana and hemp?

GunnyFreedom
01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Does this include marijuana and hemp?

One step at a time. I said a year ago I was going to work on hemp in a second term, and ending the WoD in a third term. I don't mind hitting the serious controversies, but I'm trying to balance controversial topics against seniority/experience in such a way that the measures actually pass. It's not that I care about reelection enough to avoid controversy, it's more of a strategy thing with an eye towards actually SUCCEEDING at making these changes rather than just making an ultimately ineffectual statement and going home.

I'm not abandoning the fight against the WoD, indeed, I have a pretty detailed plan on how to pursue it. I'm working the timing in the hopes of actually winning the fight.

WRT the WoD, First and foremost, I will be positioning as someone who works to end gang violence. My plan for the first term (where I am really one vs 119) will be to lay the groundwork for an anti-gang-violence stance while building up mad trust amongst Reps and Dems for responsible and effective reform legislation (even if it stirs a little controversy). My second term (when I hope to be 12 vs 108) I will be solidifying my position as anti-gang-war while pursuing slightly more controversial policies that just happen to work like gangbusters to everybody's surprise. My third term, I hope to have senior committee positions, be something like 30 vs 90, and able to pursue many of the most controversial policies in my arsenal, like my "End The Violence Act" which will 1) end gang violence by 2) eradicating the black markets which fuel it, by 3) white-marketing the products formerly sold on the black markets.

I know I know I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that has been my plan from day 1. I want to end the WoD, but I kid you not I jump on that right now and I end my political career without an impact except for a possibly speaking career. There are things you can touch with seniority that you just can't touch as a freshman. I hate it, but I deal with the facts as presented without trying to make them over into something they aren't.

If I wanted to just 'make a statement' then I could chase that devil right now. If I want to actually END the WoD, I have to be a little more circumspect and build up the capital that will be spent on that effort. I hope that makes sense.

Southron
01-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Having Lawson in the state senate sure would help right now. I wish he would have attempted it.

Slutter McGee
01-28-2011, 08:41 AM
It's not that I care about reelection enough to avoid controversy, it's more of a strategy thing with an eye towards actually SUCCEEDING at making these changes rather than just making an ultimately ineffectual statement and going home.

Obviously Gunny, you have no idea what this movement is about. We are not trying to actually accomplish anything. We want purity. I want to know why you havent proposed a bill to legalize hard drugs and prostitution. If you don't do it in the next day then you have obviously sold out to corporate interests.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

american.swan
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
@Slutter :face palm:

sluggo
02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I'll send an email to Carolyn Justice tomorrow.

Good work, Gunny!