PDA

View Full Version : What to ask Congressman re: Net Neutrality?

Matt Collins
01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I have an opportunity to be on a conference call tomorrow night with Rep Marsha Blackburn who has introduced a bill smacking down the FCC regarding Net Neutrality.

Here is the scoop:
http://bluecollarmuse.com/2011/01/26/conference-call-with-marsha-blackburn-on-fcc-regulation-of-internet-and-net-neutrality/

What should I ask her on the issue?

BenIsForRon
01-26-2011, 04:14 PM
How do we deal with the problem of internet companies restricting access to specific sites? How can we increase competition when cable companies (one of the highest quality connections) have a state enforced monopoly over their area.

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM
The conference call is tonight, what other questions can you think of?

Elwar
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Is she aware that government involvement in the telephone industry kept the technological advancement of the telephone service at a virtual standstill for 50 years between 1934 and the 80s/90s (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?213517-The-AT-amp-T-Monopoly)?

Does she see any parellels to the Internet today?

Also, when talking to a member of Congress, be sure to remind her that she does not have your permission to take your money and that any money that she takes from you is no different from theft. Ask her why she's ok with stealing from people.

RyanRSheets
01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
American government typically enforces monopolies in cable and telecom. The advent of wireless broadband gives us a glimmer of hope that the market may finally open up a little (though, the FCC restricts wireless carriers in many ways, as well), but as it stands, I have 2 choices for fast and reliable internet connectivity, by government mandate. I feel that this is a bigger threat to Net Neutrality than a provider deciding what kind of traffic they want to handle, as I will have very limited options for connectivity, should the monopolized providers start to manipulate traffic. We can pass a law to say they can't do such a thing, but eventually, they will have their way. The better solution, I feel, would be to open up the market and allow new companies to come in, seizing the demand for the other company's undesirable traffic.

Will you work to abolish government monopolies in cable and telecom?

akforme
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
How can you expect us to believe that the "government" is for a free an open internet after watching them do everything in their power to squash people like wiki leaks from a free and open internet?

Matt Collins
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Any other thoughts? 1.5 hours away from the call