PDA

View Full Version : Single mother sentenced to 5 years for lying about her kids school residency

Anti Federalist
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Now, convicted of a felony, she stands to lose her teachers "license" as well.

Turn up that heat, baby...

Judge says prosecutors rejected lesser charges in Copley schools residency case

Bailiff says office bombarded by calls

By Ed Meyer
Beacon Journal staff writer

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/114346689.html

The Summit County judge who sent an Akron mother to jail after she was convicted of falsifying records so her children could attend Copley-Fairlawn schools said considerable efforts were made to resolve the case before it went to trial.

Common Pleas Judge Patricia A. Cosgrove spoke out after becoming the target of public outcry over the case, which threatens the mother's job and her hopes to become a school teacher.

Cosgrove said the county prosecutor's office refused to consider reducing the charges to misdemeanors, and that all closed-door talks to resolve the case — outside of court — met with failure.

Kelley Williams-Bolar, 40, was sentenced Tuesday to 10 days in jail after a jury convicted her of two felony counts of tampering with records.

Cosgrove said numerous pretrial hearings were held since last summer.

''The state would not move, would not budge, and offer Ms. Williams-Bolar to plead to a misdemeanor,'' the judge said in an interview Wednesday.

''Of course, I can't put a gun to anybody's head and force the state to offer a plea bargain.''

County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh declined requests from the Beacon Journal to respond to the judge's comments.

Late Wednesday, Cosgrove issued a news release to area newspapers and television and radio stations, citing the need to respond to ''overwhelming public interest'' in her sentencing decision.

''The Summit County Prosecutor's Office retains complete control over whether to charge a person with a felony or a misdemeanor,'' the release stated.

Cosgrove's bailiff said the office had been bombarded by calls from angry area residents, most of whom were saying that Williams-Bolar's punishment far exceeded her crimes.

She is a single mother with two girls, ages 12 and 16, and is only a few credit hours short of graduating from the University of Akron with a teaching degree. She was working as a teaching assistant with special needs children at Buchtel High School. She also cared for her ailing father, who was charged with multiple felonies in the residency case.

Williams-Bolar was convicted of the two felony counts Saturday night after seven hours of jury deliberations.

On Tuesday, Cosgrove sentenced her to five years in prison but suspended all but 10 days in the county jail, saying that to not include time behind bars would ''demean the seriousness'' of the offenses.

She also was given two years of probation and 80 hours of community service.

During the sentencing hearing, the judge noted that Williams-Bolar faced another form of punishment.

''Because of the felony conviction,'' Cosgrove said, addressing Williams-Bolar directly inside the packed courtroom, ''you will not be allowed to get your teaching degree under Ohio law as it stands today.''

Cosgrove said that comment resulted in a ''a terrible misconception.''

''I did not mandate or order that her teaching license be suspended or revoked,'' Cosgrove said Wednesday. ''That is absolutely inaccurate.''

Cosgrove said Williams-Bolar's nonviolent felony offenses do not necessarily mean that she will lose her teaching certificate. She said Ohio law only states that a felony conviction ''may'' be grounds for such action.

The judge said the Ohio Department of Education will hold a hearing and make the final decision ''whether or not they will revoke her license.''

''I have nothing to do with that as a matter of law. Once she was convicted by a jury of any felony, that conviction has to be reported to the state, and then it's up to the state at that point in time to decide whether or not they're going to revoke her license,'' Cosgrove said. ''This is the Ohio legislature who wrote this law, not [this] court.''

Cosgrove said her reading of the statute leaves open the possibility Williams-Bolar can be a teacher ''because she was not convicted of an offense of violence [or] offenses of moral turpitude.''

Because Williams-Bolar had no previous felony record, Cosgrove said she will write a letter to the state Board of Education asking that Williams-Bolar's license not be revoked.

''I will do everything I can, as far as sending a letter, asking them not to consider it,'' the judge said.

Cosgrove also indicated she would consider expunging the felony conviction if Williams-Bolar successfully completes a minimum of six months of probation.

''I suspect she will,'' the judge said.

oyarde
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Buckeyes .......

dannno
01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
She is a single mother with two girls, ages 12 and 16, and is only a few credit hours short of graduating from the University of Akron with a teaching degree. She was working as a teaching assistant with special needs children at Buchtel High School. She also cared for her ailing father, who was charged with multiple felonies in the residency case.

What a horrible person she is. And a danger to society. I know I'd be scared if she lived in my neighborhood. Lock her up!

oyarde
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
What a horrible person she is. And a danger to society. I know I'd be scared if she lived in my neighborhood. Lock her up!

I know it . Insane .

nobody's_hero
01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't understand why this is a felony. Falsifying records that would result in someone somehow being harmed would be one thing, but the punishment does not fit the crime here.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Oh, I had missed that part, that the ailing father had been charged with numerous felonies as well.

Yeah, put that dangerous criminal behind bars.

The vast majority of Gestapo informers were not full-term informers working undercover, but were rather ordinary citizens who for whatever reason chose to denounce those they knew to the Gestapo.[21]

Anti Federalist
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't understand why this is a felony. Falsifying records that would result in someone somehow being harmed would be one thing, but the punishment does not fit the crime here.

Because the state decided to "crack down" and "declare war" on these dangerous felons.

They want to "make them an example".

johnrocks
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
How utterly ridiculous! Government;by their ignorant laws; basically makes criminals and liars out of a big percentage of the population;imho.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
How utterly ridiculous! Government;by their ignorant laws; basically makes criminals and liars out of a big percentage of the population;imho.

And then react in feigned shock when they get shot by lunatics or have planes flown into their buildings.

NYgs23
01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Government;by their ignorant laws; basically makes criminals and liars out of a big percentage of the population

That percentage being virtually 100 (http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594032556).

cindy25
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
misleading title , she was sentenced to 10 days, not 5 years.

still ridiculous

Anti Federalist
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
misleading title , she was sentenced to 10 days, not 5 years.

still ridiculous

Sentenced to five years. That's what will be on her record.

On Tuesday, Cosgrove sentenced her to five years in prison but suspended all but 10 days in the county jail, saying that to not include time behind bars would ''demean the seriousness'' of the offenses

Live_Free_Or_Die
01-25-2011, 08:55 PM
woot, another victim of benevolent government.

Anti Federalist
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
///

NCGOPer_for_Paul
01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Surprised at everyone's take here. While the sentence appears ridiculous, she stole tax dollars from the people of the district where she was sending her children.

Romulus
01-26-2011, 04:20 PM
This is how f'd up things are.

Lmata
01-26-2011, 05:11 PM
And yet we don't do anything about the kids who drive across the Mexico border everyday to attend school here in the US.

Kylie
01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Surprised at everyone's take here. While the sentence appears ridiculous, she stole tax dollars from the people of the district where she was sending her children.

So? If they hadn't tied the schools to real estate taxes everyone would be free to send their children wherever they so choose. This, and they ones who no longer have children(or never did) would not be on the hook and subject to have their homes stolen from them for other peoples' children. It's an assinine law and should be changed.

dannno
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM

She was having money stolen from her to go to the local schools, but they suck.. she's also having money stolen from her to go to the other school.

If public schools had more competition, they would be better than they are.

Kludge
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM

"Legally," she should have tried to fix her own school system... go to PTA & school board meetings, going to meet&greets, being extremely social, and maybe try getting a seat... But that's impractical and unlikely to make a worthwhile change when her kids are attending if she's surrounded by people who disagree. Anyway, local school districts receive a large portion of their money from state/federal sources based on how many students attend, so it's that great of a strain on the local area - and she is still paying for education in a different district...

I don't blame her at all for what she did. The problem wouldn't ever have arisen if public schools were either consistent district-to-district or abolished altogether so companies with incentive to please their clients would be viable for the poor. Vouchers clearly would be a step up in this case, but there are many other consequences which could come with that. Good for her to care enough about her kids to risk this in the first place.

mczerone
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Felony: A charge against an individual whose action, if unpunished, would greatly undermine the legitimacy of the state and its laws.

Who stole what? This individual accepted the "free" handout from pillagers, who had already stolen the money from the people in "their district". Yes, she had lie to the school to allow her children to go there, but then the proper way for the school district to seek justice would be to bring a civil action against her seeking restitution for the costs of educating her children. Cages are only for people who, if left free, would with a high degree of certainty cause harm to others. (And what about her "own" school district that demands money for failing schools, and will not let her opt out of paying or sending her children there?)

The only "lessons" jail teaches are that its okay to treat other people like animals, and how to commit all the crimes other people were sentenced for.

ItsTime
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
I wonder how those kids will now view the government?

oyarde
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I wonder how those kids will now view the government?

I think I know . Very astute of you .

oyarde
01-26-2011, 06:28 PM
So? If they hadn't tied the schools to real estate taxes everyone would be free to send their children wherever they so choose. This, and they ones who no longer have children(or never did) would not be on the hook and subject to have their homes stolen from them for other peoples' children. It's an assinine law and should be changed.

I agree .

susano
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
So, why was the prosecutors office so hell bent on this one? Afraid that the issue of school (lack of) choice/vouchers might rear it's head again? Except for that, it's seems inexplicable.

It mentioned she takes care of her father, who was also charged for this terrible crime. Perhaps it was easier to get her girls from the school in his district if she was there every day. And, btw, he either owns a house or rents - meaning wherever HE lives is taxed (robbed) for the local teachers union school. Why can't his grandchildren attend in HIS district where HE is taxed?

Kylie
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
So, why was the prosecutors office so hell bent on this one? Afraid that the issue of school (lack of) choice/vouchers might rear it's head again? Except for that, it's seems inexplicable.

It mentioned she takes care of her father, who was also charged for this terrible crime. Perhaps it was easier to get her girls from the school in his district if she was there every day. And, btw, he either owns a house or rents - meaning wherever HE lives is taxed (robbed) for the local teachers union school. Why can't his grandchildren attend in HIS district where HE is taxed?

Could not agree more.