PDA

View Full Version : GOP Lawmakers (incl. Ron) Planning Meeting To Explore Alternatives In Afghan War

MRoCkEd
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/24/afghanistan-republican-alternatives-meeting_n_813281.html

Reps. Walter Jones (N.C.), Ron Paul (Texas) and Jimmy Duncan (Tenn.) sent a letter to every Republican House member on Monday inviting them them to a Feb. 16 briefing with Council on Foreign Relations President Richard Haass, retired Maj. Gen. John Batiste and Americans for Tax Reform President Grover Norquist -- all of whom have been critical of the direction of the war.

--

Organizers are especially interested in talking with 10 freshmen House members that a prominent Tea Party-affiliated group has identified as persuadable on the question of continued U.S. involvement in Afghanistan:

Justin Amash (MI-3)
Sandy Adams (FL-24)
Chip Cravaack (MI-8)
Sean Duffy (WI-7)
Steve FIncher (TN-8)
Frank Guinta (NH-1)
Nan Hayworth (NY-19)
Raul Labrador (ID-1)
Mick Mulvaney (SC-5)
Rich Nugent (FL-5)
Steve Southerland (FL-12)

sailingaway
01-25-2011, 04:53 PM
When I posted it a day or so ago I didn't include 'incl Ron' and it dropped in the forums like a stone. Personally, I thought it was interesting. Someone commented wondering why a CFR guy was there. I'm assuming Norquist invited him....

oyarde
01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
When I posted it a day or so ago I didn't include 'incl Ron' and it dropped in the forums like a stone. Personally, I thought it was interesting. Someone commented wondering why a CFR guy was there. I'm assuming Norquist invited him....

Makes sense , he probably has something to offer to the overview .

Jeremy
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
OMG Ron Paul is CFR!!!!11111111ONE

sailingaway
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
OMG Ron Paul is CFR!!!!11111111ONE

Yeah, I could have said that, too.....

itshappening
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
this is how you mainstream opinion in America

They know the game is up, the CFR guy will merely try to delay the inevitable so corporates can milk it for a few more years

Imperial
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I am surprised Rohrabacher and Chaffetz are not mentioned. Both of them have also been critical of the war.

nobody's_hero
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Republicans definitely need to understand that their chances of maintaining a majority will not be helped if they continue with the same "stay the course" Bush-era doctrine that ruined their party's reputation before.

R3volutionJedi
01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
RP isn't CFR, right?

HazyHusky420
01-25-2011, 07:31 PM
RP isn't CFR, right?

No. Meeting with CFR members makes him a member of the CFR just as much as meeting with Ralph Nader makes him a Green.

brenden.b
01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm surprised to not see Todd Young on that list. Someone on this forum was telling me that he is a non-interventionist.

Quick correction on that list, Cravaack is from MN, not MI.

oyarde
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm surprised to not see Todd Young on that list. Someone on this forum was telling me that he is a non-interventionist.

Quick correction on that list, Cravaack is from MN, not MI.

Good idea , someone needs to work on young with costs . He is approachable .

sailingaway
01-25-2011, 07:59 PM
RP isn't CFR, right?

Um, no, he isn't.

He isn't an internationalist/globalist, whatever you want to call it. So the ideologies don't mesh.

jmdrake
01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
RP isn't CFR, right?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/tlthe5th/ron_paul_handsign2.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/tlthe5th/jones/r_paul2.jpg

And before someone stones me for blasphemy, I'm not saying Ron Paul is CFR. I'm saying we have to be careful about "litmus tests" where every little sign (pardon the pun) means someone is in the NWO. If these were politicians we didn't support meeting with the head of the CFR, some of us would be like "See? That proves that congressman X is part of the conspiracy". And yes, I might have been one of those making the charge. :o

Just found this.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUKo1urta-60bxJgeYLw1T2kWvbjHddTHJAn3XbsToIA90X1Q4

jmdrake
01-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I want to add that it's good to see Jimmy Duncan and Ron Paul working together. Duncan and Paul are the only two republicans to have voted against the Iraq war and survived to be re-elected. We tried to get Duncan to endorse Paul in 2007, but he declined (probably because TN native son Fred Thompson was running and he didn't want to make enemies). Hopefully we'll get an endorsement this go round.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/24/afghanistan-republican-alternatives-meeting_n_813281.html

Reps. Walter Jones (N.C.), Ron Paul (Texas) and Jimmy Duncan (Tenn.) sent a letter to every Republican House member on Monday inviting them them to a Feb. 16 briefing with Council on Foreign Relations President Richard Haass, retired Maj. Gen. John Batiste and Americans for Tax Reform President Grover Norquist -- all of whom have been critical of the direction of the war.

--

Organizers are especially interested in talking with 10 freshmen House members that a prominent Tea Party-affiliated group has identified as persuadable on the question of continued U.S. involvement in Afghanistan:

Justin Amash (MI-3)
Sandy Adams (FL-24)
Chip Cravaack (MI-8)
Sean Duffy (WI-7)
Steve FIncher (TN-8)
Frank Guinta (NH-1)
Nan Hayworth (NY-19)
Raul Labrador (ID-1)
Mick Mulvaney (SC-5)
Rich Nugent (FL-5)
Steve Southerland (FL-12)

Feeding the Abscess
01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Richard Haas has spoken many times on Morning Joe about getting out of Afghanistan. Head of the CFR or not, use him as an ally in specific situations.

vita3
01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Jimmy Duncan, thanks I'll half to check him out. R's need to get their anti-war together & then work w/ anti-war D's & I's

Brian4Liberty
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Richard Haas has spoken many times on Morning Joe about getting out of Afghanistan. Head of the CFR or not, use him as an ally in specific situations.

Of course. Afghanistan is Obama's War now. Many interventionists decided that Afghanistan was a waste of resources quite some time ago. Iran is the focus now...