PDA

View Full Version : Mike Huckabee Nanny Huckabee Slams Libertarians (again), Overseas Nation-building, Policing the World

Lucille
01-24-2011, 01:10 PM
The Face of Conservative Populism (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/257692/face-conservative-populism-brian-stewart)

He snorted with derision at “libertarians” who fail to recognize that “we don’t have a health-care crisis in this country, but a health crisis.” He spoke with passion and knowledge on the need for preventative care to bring down exorbitant costs. And then, without the least amount of prompting, he mustered a vigorous defense of Mrs. Obama’s “Let’s Move” campaign against childhood obesity. This was the “art of governing,” he argued, rather than the cheap “science of campaigning.” He finished his call to a compassionate conservatism by echoing recent comments made by Governor Daniels touting prison reform. Invoking a “Biblical standard” of crime enforcement, he granted that criminals must be punished while stressing that the status quo needs to be replaced. Opposed though he is to the decriminalization of drugs, he endorses a more “hopeful,” therapeutic approach that would thwart the creation of “monsters” within our prison walls.

The governor was hardly less restrained when the subject turned to foreign policy. He warned of the dangers inherent in the role of “world policeman.” Invited to plead for cuts in defense spending, he delicately declined, but noted that combat operations in Afghanistan were futile and therefore constituted government “waste.” U.S. policy in Afghanistan, he hastened to add, was not exceptional in this regard. The specter haunting the U.S. is that of a broader overstretch. Sounding very much like George W. Bush as governor of Texas, Huckabee denounced the use of U.S. armed forces for any kind of nation-building. “Leave that to the Peace Corps,” he concluded. “The nation that most needs building is America.”

Related (http://newsflavor.com/politics/world-politics/white-house-insider-obama-celebrates-shortly-after-delivering-tucson-memorial-speech/):

Insider: I still believe a primary challenge from the Democratic Party will come against Obama, and will be announced within next few months. I also believe Mike Huckabee is the frontrunner for the Republicans and the man most capable of defeating Obama in 12. More important to any of that though is what comes out of House oversight in the next month or so. If it appears quiet, I fear a deal was made and Obama survives the scandal.

(Still unsure about this alleged insider.)

Even so, I'd still rather eat glass than vote for Huck.

Brett85
01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm glad that Huckabee is at least coming around on foreign policy issues.

Lucille
01-24-2011, 01:18 PM

It is a hopeful sign. I hope his attitude spreads to the socons, who have been so tragically led astray by the neocons (http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance226.html).

HOLLYWOOD
01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Just PANDERING... nothing will change except "Impression" if the Huckster becomes POTUS. All these politicians lie... they know Americans have Amnesia after a couple of months. Well, they're puppets for the money masters, so it doesn't matter what's promised, once in office a team of speech writers and consultants steer the public through the POTUS puppet.

Brett85
01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Just PANDERING... nothing will change except "Impression" if the Huckster becomes POTUS.

Well that remains to be seen. I disagree with Huckabee on plenty of issues, but to me he at least doesn't seem nearly as bad as Romney, Palin, Gingrich, etc.

Brett85
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
It is a hopeful sign. I hope his attitude spreads to the socons, who have been so tragically led astray by the neocons (http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance226.html).

Yeah. My mom is a hardcore social conservative, and even she's coming around on foreign policy issues. She made a comment the other day about how she doesn't really see how we can "win" in Afghanistan. I still have a long ways to go to convince my dad though.

Elwar
01-24-2011, 01:26 PM
They hate us you know....the neo-cons.

Lucille
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
They hate us you know....the neo-cons.

They hate everyone but warmongers.

Acala
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Well that remains to be seen. I disagree with Huckabee on plenty of issues, but to me he at least doesn't seem nearly as bad as Romney, Palin, Gingrich, etc.

Taking wagers?

specsaregood
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Well I doubt he is coming around, but it is a good sign that sentiment within the GOP is coming around and hence his flipflopping.

Son of Detroit
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
The Neo-Cons hate us for our freedom.

Stary Hickory
01-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Well he expresses a view that was pretty popular with conservatives up until G.W. Bush. Bush was elected saying the exact same things....it really irks me how so called conservatives can now support never ending war and nation building just because the guy on "their" side started the whole mess. Where I grew up it was pretty conservative/Republican and the popular opinion was always anti UN anti foreign aid and anti overseas involvements....how this morphed into blind and ignorant support for unconditional war is beyond me.

It's not a far step for conservatives to get back in line on foreign policy, they could under the right leadership.

Brett85
01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Well I doubt he is coming around, but it is a good sign that sentiment within the GOP is coming around and hence his flipflopping.

Well, I haven't heard any of the other potential GOP nominees give any kind of hint that they support a more humble foreign policy. (Except of course for Ron) Huckabee may be a nanny stater, but if I had to choose I would rather spend a few billion dollars on healthcare for children than spend it building roads and schools in Afghanistan.

Sola_Fide
01-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Huckabee does not understand liberty. Don't be fooled by him picking up a few Tea Party talking points. He is a big government opportunist. Thomas Jefferson would look at him in shame.

trey4sports
01-24-2011, 02:07 PM
All this tells me is that it is IMPERATIVE that Ron Paul RUN FOR PRESIDENT

mczerone
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
He snorted with derision at “libertarians” who fail to recognize that “we don’t have a health-care crisis in this country, but a health crisis.”

What? What don't we (scare quotes) "libertarians" recognize? That there is a health care crisis? That there is a health crisis? Either Huckleberry's speech writer or the article's author needs to be more clear when they use double negatives.

And that's not to say libertarians don't recognize the government-health-care crisis in the US right now. The tying of health benefits to union jobs due to tax incentives is one of the primary reasons the consumer's needs are no longer met by the supplier's abilities. Health Insurance is not mandatory, mandatory health insurance is not insurance.

Huck's just sensitive about his weight, and wishes some government agent was there for him growing up, telling him not to torture animals, to learn to play friendly with others without bossing them around, and to eat more broccoli.

Heimdallr
01-24-2011, 03:27 PM
This might make the debate a little more friendly to us on foreign policy. AND he's alienating libertarians from voting for him (not they would anyway)!

This is great!

Brett85
01-24-2011, 03:33 PM
This might make the debate a little more friendly to us on foreign policy. AND he's alienating libertarians from voting for him (not they would anyway)!

This is great!

Yeah, it seems like he's alienating libertarians by supporting all of these nanny state ideas, and then on the other hand it seems like he's trying to appeal to libertarians by supporting a more non interventionist foreign policy. I can't understand what he's trying to do.