PDA

View Full Version : "Woman died after she was taken to a Tacoma hospital" ?

squarepusher
01-24-2011, 01:21 AM
what does that even mean? How does someone die from being taken to the hospital? Why was she taken to the hospital?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110124/ap_on_re_us/us_wal_mart_shooting

Walmart shooting leaves 2 dead, 2 deputies hurt
46 mins ago

PORT ORCHARD, Wash. – A shootout in front of a Walmart in Washington state left two people dead and two sheriff's deputies wounded Sunday afternoon, a sheriff's spokesman said.

One of the dead was a man who shot at deputies, said Scott Wilson of the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office. The other victim was a young woman who died after she was taken to a Tacoma hospital, he said.

Tacoma police said the deputies were both shot in the torso and were in satisfactory condition. They were being kept overnight at Tacoma General Hospital.

Details were still sketchy Sunday night, but the sheriff's office received a call about a suspicious person at the store in Port Orchard, Wilson said. The man ran and started shooting when three deputies tried to talk to him, he said.

The deputies, including the two men who were wounded, returned fire, Wilson said.

Destany Droge, 22, of Bremerton, and Emmili Jones, of Federal Way, 20, told The Seattle Times that they noticed two deputies confronting a heavyset man in the parking log. The man, they said, took off running toward a wooded area. Then, in midsprint, he pulled out a gun and fired behind his back without turning.

The officers were about 30 to 40 feet behind the suspect when he started firing, witness Ray Bourge told KOMO-TV. "Five or six shots were fired. ... I just went and took cover," he said.

Witness Victor Meyers told the station that he heard the first shot, then six more in rapid succession.

"I heard one shot, which I thought was a car backfiring, and then several more reported back, which I knew to be gunfire," Meyers said.

He said he saw a female deputy running toward a victim on the ground before he and other witnesses were hustled from the scene.

The man who ran from the deputies died of his wounds in the parking lot, Wilson said.

Wilson said no other suspects were involved in the incident, which began at about 3:45 p.m. He didn't know whether the woman was an innocent bystander or if she and the man knew each other. The woman appeared to be in her late teens but the identities of the two haven't been released.

The store was immediately locked down. Customers in the store were being allowed to leave after investigators questioned them, and the store closed for the night, Wilson said.

The investigation "is real basic right now," he said, adding that officers don't know why the man fled and began firing.

"The big question of why is unanswered now," he said.

Port Orchard, the county seat with about 8,250 residents, is about 15 miles west of Seattle across Puget Sound.

The last time a Kitsap County sheriff's deputy was shot in the line of duty was in April 1978, according to the Tacoma News Tribune. Deputy Dennis Allred stopped to help what he believed to be a stranded driver towing another vehicle. The vehicle turned out to be stolen, and Allred was shot and killed by the suspects.

Philhelm
01-24-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't understand the questions. She died of her wounds after being taken to the hospital. She was taken to the hospital because she was shot. Not trying to be a dick, but I don't understand what you are trying to get at.

starless
01-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Is this a serious question?

squarepusher
01-24-2011, 01:42 AM
does the article say she was shot? If not, why or why not?

Zack
01-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Yeah strange story in general, don't really understand what the guy did or what. Guess more details will come out later. I was thinking about going to that very Wal Mart this afternoon, but decided to keep driving to the Fred Meyer a block down instead because that Wal Mart doesn't have a good food selection. That was exactly the time this went down (hapened at 3:45pm, I was shopping from 3:30-4:00) so I'm glad I chose Fred Meyer. Even if I didn't get caught in the crossfire, I would have been one of the 100 people they locked in the Wal Mart into the night to get statements from them. I didn't hear any shots or anything. I was probably inside the store when they were fired.

It's a pretty long drive to Tacoma from Port Orchard. Totally different city, maybe 45 minutes or so. I believe the woman was shot and they just didn't phrase it very well in the article. Perhaps shot by the gunman blind-firing.

Philhelm
01-24-2011, 01:52 AM
It was implied that she was shot. It said that two people ended up dead, and two wounded after a shootout. It also said that deputies confronted the gunman before he fled and began to shoot. The article then states that it is unknown if the woman who died had known the gunman, or if she was an innocent bystander (of the shootout). While the article doesn't specifically say that she was shot, with the information given, it can be deduced that she was shot.

I'm curious as to what you are getting at though.

squarepusher
01-24-2011, 02:03 AM
It was implied that she was shot. It said that two people ended up dead, and two wounded after a shootout. It also said that deputies confronted the gunman before he fled and began to shoot. The article then states that it is unknown if the woman who died had known the gunman, or if she was an innocent bystander (of the shootout). While the article doesn't specifically say that she was shot, with the information given, it can be deduced that she was shot.

I'm curious as to what you are getting at though.

if the Police shoot and kill someone, then that person "died after being taken to the hospital"

Philhelm
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
if the Police shoot and kill someone, then that person "died after being taken to the hospital"

I did consider that option when trying to figure out what you may have been suggesting. I could see how the manner of her death might not be explicitly stated if that were the scenario and it was an accidental shooting. However, consider the following:

The other victim was a young woman who died after she was taken to a Tacoma hospital, he said.
I doubt the article would refer to the woman as a victim had she been shot by the police.

Wilson said no other suspects were involved in the incident, which began at about 3:45 p.m.
The implication is that only the gunman was considered to be a suspect, so it seems that the woman was not involved in a shootout with the police.

He [Wilson] didn't know whether the woman was an innocent bystander or if she and the man knew each other.
This implies that she was either accidentally killed by the gunman, or perhaps she was the primary target of the gunman.

I don't see anything in this story that would imply that the woman had been shot by the police or that she was an accomplice to the gunman.

squarepusher
01-24-2011, 02:30 AM
if the gunmen would have killed this women, then you can bet the article would have plastered it.

Philhelm
01-24-2011, 02:43 AM
I stand corrected. :o
I tried to look up different articles on the matter, and this one seemed to explain the incident in much better detail.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/23/1514264/shots-fired-at-port-orchard-wal.html?storylink=rss

PORT ORCHARD - Two people died and two Kitsap County sheriff’s deputies were wounded Sunday after a shootout in a Walmart parking lot in Port Orchard.

A third deputy shot and killed the man who unexpectedly opened fire on the deputies, sheriff’s spokesman Scott Wilson said. Witnesses say a woman apparently tried to run to the man’s aid – directly into the line of fire – and was struck.

It’s unclear whether the deputies or the gunman shot the woman, who was estimated to be in her late teens. She died at Tacoma General Hospital.

The wounded deputies, who have been with the agency for five to 10 years, were both shot in the torso and listed in stable condition.

Deputies were called about 3:40 p.m. to the Walmart at 3497 Bethel Road S.E. after someone reported a suspicious man.

Two deputies approached the man, who was standing outside the store, smoking a cigarette when they arrived, and began talking to him.

Witnesses say he was walking with them to their patrol car and was about to be put in handcuffs when he broke free and began sprinting across the parking lot toward the woods.

“He flung out of their hands and pulled a gun out of his jacket,” said 20-year-old Emmili Jones. “He was trying to run and shoot.”

She said the man didn’t turn around when he fired several rounds, striking both deputies.

A third deputy coming around the south side of the building fired at the fleeing gunman after seeing her colleagues were down, Wilson said.

Sheriff’s investigators did not know late Sunday why someone had called 911 to report the suspicious man or what was said between him and the deputies before the shooting began.

The Washington State Patrol will be taking over the investigation.

Investigators said they do not know the connection between the man and woman who were shot.

Jones and her friend, Destany Droge, said the two appeared to be a couple.

“As soon as she saw him get shot, she ran for him,” Droge said. “She put herself in the line of fire.”

The women had just gotten in their car with Jones’ 2-month-old son when the confrontation unfolded.

As gunshots pierced the air, witnesses said dozens of people ran into the store seeking cover.

Walmart employees immediately placed the store on lockdown.

Tammy Stevens was shopping with her son when she noticed an employee frantically running up the aisle and yelling into a walkie-talkie.

Then she heard there was a gunman out front and said she felt “absolute terror.”

“We were all very shook up,” Stevens said. “I got goose bumps and I still have them.”

Employees soon allowed customers to leave. Stevens was relieved to be released but first took the time to pay for her purchases.

Most employees were kept much longer so they could be interviewed by detectives.

Joseph Winney, who has worked at Walmart for eight years as an automobile service technician, left about 6:20 p.m. after first spending a half hour sitting in his car composing himself and assuring his wife he was fine and would be home soon.

“I’ve never been so shaken up in my life,” he said, taking a drag on a cigarette. “Everybody’s pretty shook. It’s not something you encounter every day.”

Yellow crime tape was draped around portions of the parking lot where investigators combed the area for evidence. The flash of their cameras periodically lit up the dark parking lot.

The last time a Kitsap County sheriff's deputy was shot in the line of duty was in April 1978. Deputy Dennis Allred stopped to help what he believed to be a stranded driver towing another vehicle. The vehicle turned out to be stolen, and Allred was shot and killed by the suspects.

Walmart reopened their doors shortly after 7:30 p.m.

Staff writer Mike Archbold contributed to this report.

dannno
01-24-2011, 02:43 AM

Only if they weren't dead before they got to the hospital..

but ya, it looks like you opened a can of worms and the newspaper was trying to avoid saying that she was shot by a deputy..

Maximus
01-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Or maybe the writer just assumed that you had the common sense to connect the dots.

dannno
01-24-2011, 02:49 AM
Or maybe the writer just assumed that you had the common sense to connect the dots.

No, the story insinuates that she was possibly shot by the gunman, and not the deputy.

Of course you can blame the killing of the woman on the gunman who started the fight, but it looks like an editor over at that newspaper decided to take out the fact that she was shot by a deputy.

Philhelm
01-24-2011, 02:58 AM
No, the story insinuates that she was possibly shot by the gunman, and not the deputy.

Of course you can blame the killing of the woman on the gunman who started the fight, but it looks like an editor over at that newspaper decided to take out the fact that she was shot by a deputy.

According to the article I had found, it states that they are not sure if the woman was shot by the gunman or by the man who had shot at the police ( ;) ). The first article had labelled the woman as a victim, which is why I had thought the gunman had shot her. Usually, those that the police shoot aren't labelled as victims; the implication being that they deserved what they got.

squarepusher
01-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Well it wasn't really clear in the first article what happened, but Philhelm's second other link shows it to be clear, but my instincts strongly pointed to the article not placing any blame on officers, however if it was the suspect who killed her, it would be expectantly very clear and announced that he did it.

Consider this headline "9 year old girl dies in hospital after suspected drug dealer apprehended" ...

or

"Police shoot 9 year old girl in the head"

Anti Federalist
01-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Expect to see more of this as DHS promotes more "reporting of suspicious persons".

Some will be real "bad guys", some will be nothing more than innocent people caught up in the surveillance state, some will be people right on the edge that get pushed over.