PDA

View Full Version : Hello Parents!

Roxi
01-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey fellow parents, just wanted to post an intro thread so we can get to know each other a little better.

My name is Roxi, and my husband Jay and I are currently parents of 2 children. The first is an 8 year old girl, the second a 1 year old boy. I took interest in politics in 07 because of Ron Paul and my husband and I actively campaigned for him. We have since been involved in the liberty movement in many different ways.

Our daughter completed 2nd grade in public school before we started homeschooling last August. She is very mature and intelligent, but extremely independent and views herself as equal to adults in all aspects. She constantly challenges our own intelligence and creativity.

I could say a ton about our 1 year old but I would just be gushing. :)

Anyhow introduce yourselves!

easycougar
01-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi I'm CW, I am a network administrator. I was an apathetic, blind George Bush supporter until my buddy introduced me to Ron Paul during the 2008 election. I've "seen the light" and haven't looked back. I am married with a 2-yr old daughter. My wife has bachelors degrees in business and Spanish and had a decent paying job until our daughter was born. At that point, we decided to make a huge sacrifice and my wife is now a stay at home mom. We used to have a decent income, but decided that it was more important for my wife to stay and raise our daughter. We are now living paycheck to paycheck, and it is HARD sometimes, but it is the best decision we've made imo.

We've been struggling on what to do when our daughter gets to school age. My wife could homeschool...we can continue to live paycheck to paycheck and make the minimum payments on our debt...or she can go back into the workforce, make decent money, and we can start throwing a lot of money at our outstanding debt while my daughter goes to public (ugh) school. We really don't know what to do! We really have a LOT of debt (not really credit card...but school and house loans), but I also want what is best for our daughter!

forsmant
01-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi, I have two children. Bidding starts at 500$ for the boy and 600$ for the girl. Shes adorable........:P

Roxi
01-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi, I have two children. Bidding starts at 500$ for the boy and 600$ for the girl. Shes adorable........:P

BWAHAHAHA Awesome. Does the winner actually get to keep them or do we just receive pictures every month with a letter and updates about their condition? :D

Roxi
01-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Hi I'm CW, I am a network administrator. I was an apathetic, blind George Bush supporter until my buddy introduced me to Ron Paul during the 2008 election. I've "seen the light" and haven't looked back. I am married with a 2-yr old daughter. My wife has bachelors degrees in business and Spanish and had a decent paying job until our daughter was born. At that point, we decided to make a huge sacrifice and my wife is now a stay at home mom. We used to have a decent income, but decided that it was more important for my wife to stay and raise our daughter. We are now living paycheck to paycheck, and it is HARD sometimes, but it is the best decision we've made imo.

We've been struggling on what to do when our daughter gets to school age. My wife could homeschool...we can continue to live paycheck to paycheck and make the minimum payments on our debt...or she can go back into the workforce, make decent money, and we can start throwing a lot of money at our outstanding debt while my daughter goes to public (ugh) school. We really don't know what to do! We really have a LOT of debt (not really credit card...but school and house loans), but I also want what is best for our daughter!

After going through having a kid in public school I would help anyone who wanted to homeschool get started. I am appalled about the schools we have had experience with (all 6 of them) and if it the norm all over the country we are in serious trouble when the next generation grows up. If you simply couldn't home school and have kids younger than 6th grade I would recommend montessori school, even if you aren't into religion. Montessori doesn't focus on religion like parochial schools but they do include religion in the curriculum. They seem to educate rather than indoctrinate. Letting kids decide what they want to believe in.

You might also look into unschooling. It is growing in popularity. :)

We are lucky to have a great home school group here. There are lots of kids and everyone is very active. We do lots of activities, field trips, presentations etc.

pcosmar
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
I wanted a dozen kids and a farm, once upon a time.
Circumstances and choices have not worked out that way. Many years ago I gave up that dream and made the decision to not have children.
I married a woman with 2 grown children and an inability the have more.

These many years later I have the farm. And other peoples children call me Grampa.

No kids, but I like little people.

kpfareal
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
My name is Kevin, been married for 5 years (as of last week). Me and my wife met in North Dakota, both being in the military at the time. We got married and decided to have kids right away. After my wife got pregnant with our first child, she got out of the military to be a stay at home mom. We currently have three children ages 4, 3 and 1, with plans for lots more in the future. My wife has home births with a mid wife (I get to actually deliver the kids, which is fun/completely discusting at the same time). We home school (although it's not very structured right now). We've cloth diapered all three of the kids so far.

I've been a fan of RP since 2007. I've been on this forum ever since, lurking 99% of the time. I'm an avid reader, currently making my way through the reading lists Ron Paul put in End the Fed and The Revolution: A Manifesto. I'm an Air traffic controller in the US Air Force. Been to Iraq, probably wont go back. My wife is a stay at home mom, former fire fighter (in Mississippi) and former Air Force Air traffic controller. She's currently working on getting the training to become a part-time Doula for low income families. We're both slowly getting involved in the anti-abortion movement.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi, my name is Joe and I am a reproductionaholic. I am 30 and have been with the same woman for around about 14 years now and have been married for almost 10. We have 3 kids (2 boys and a girl ages 9,8 and 6) and would have probably had more but my Wife's OB/GYN suggested that my Wife's health problems would not tolerate many more pregnancies and recommended that we find another hobby. Right now the products of our collective hobby are all enrolled in public school because of financial concerns but we will be taking them out at the first opportunity at home schooling and will probably be asking for some advice on how to get into from Roxi and other home schoolers here. I cannot wait to have them out of the indoctrination system.

Roxi
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi, my name is Joe and I am a reproductionaholic. I am 30 and have been with the same woman for around about 14 years now and have been married for almost 10. We have 3 kids (2 boys and a girl ages 9,8 and 6) and would have probably had more but my Wife's OB/GYN suggested that my Wife's health problems would not tolerate many more pregnancies and recommended that we find another hobby. Right now the products of our collective hobby are all enrolled in public school because of financial concerns but we will be taking them out at the first opportunity at home schooling and will probably be asking for some advice on how to get into from Roxi and other home schoolers here. I cannot wait to have them out of the indoctrination system.

Sweet! We are VERY lucky to be in a position to home school. The jump was really scary but now that we did it I am so happy! One thing I didn't realize about home school was that once you start, (a lot of times) home school kids don't make good candidates for regular school anymore. So if we ran into a situation where we were forced to put our 8 year old back in school we would probably have some trouble.

There are tons of great home school resources online. I can't imagine home schooling without the internet either. Send me a message if you do decide to go for it and I will link you to what I have collected. The first step is to find a good home school group in your city and get connected!

Roxi
01-24-2011, 03:23 PM
My name is Kevin, been married for 5 years (as of last week). Me and my wife met in North Dakota, both being in the military at the time. We got married and decided to have kids right away. After my wife got pregnant with our first child, she got out of the military to be a stay at home mom. We currently have three children ages 4, 3 and 1, with plans for lots more in the future. My wife has home births with a mid wife (I get to actually deliver the kids, which is fun/completely discusting at the same time). We home school (although it's not very structured right now). We've cloth diapered all three of the kids so far.

I've been a fan of RP since 2007. I've been on this forum ever since, lurking 99% of the time. I'm an avid reader, currently making my way through the reading lists Ron Paul put in End the Fed and The Revolution: A Manifesto. I'm an Air traffic controller in the US Air Force. Been to Iraq, probably wont go back. My wife is a stay at home mom, former fire fighter (in Mississippi) and former Air Force Air traffic controller. She's currently working on getting the training to become a part-time Doula for low income families. We're both slowly getting involved in the anti-abortion movement.

Nice to "meet" ya! Does your wife post here too? Maybe you could talk her into it, at least for this sub-forum. ;)

kpfareal
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Nice to "meet" ya! Does your wife post here too? Maybe you could talk her into it, at least for this sub-forum. ;)

I'll see what I can do. :)

Acala
01-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Divorced with two kids - 17 and 19. They went to public school. But if I had it to do over again, I would arrange things so they would be homeschooled. And when I say homeschooled I don't mean a home version of the public school system. I mean more like letting them choose what they want to learn, how they want to learn, and when they want to learn.

Here's a little thought experiment for you: suppose you let your child choose what he wanted to learn and he chose to learn no math at all. So what? Is it bad for your child to not learn something the government is adamant that he learn even if he doesn't want to? (I have a math minor, by the way).

What is more important, cramming your child full of facts and skills or nurturing their natural love of learning?

Roxi
01-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Divorced with two kids - 17 and 19. They went to public school. But if I had it to do over again, I would arrange things so they would be homeschooled. And when I say homeschooled I don't mean a home version of the public school system. I mean more like letting them choose what they want to learn, how they want to learn, and when they want to learn.

Here's a little thought experiment for you: suppose you let your child choose what he wanted to learn and he chose to learn no math at all. So what? Is it bad for your child to not learn something the government is adamant that he learn even if he doesn't want to? (I have a math minor, by the way).

What is more important, cramming your child full of facts and skills or nurturing their natural love of learning?

That is exactly why I say we borderline unschool. Because I do child led learning, however I think math is a very important skill that I use every day, and I love numbers. So I do a mix of stuff I want her to learn, and stuff she wants to learn. I am pretty crafty and creative though, a lot of times she has no idea shes having a lesson. :)

libertybrewcity
02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I have parents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOep7r-OQGA

LoneWolf
01-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Surprised I had not done this yet. Anyways Married for almost 6 years to my hard headed wife, we have 2.5 kids #3 will make her entrance in April. I always wanted to homeschool the kids but wife doesn't have GED yet I have mine but just don't have the patience to put up with a 5 year old trying to learn and a 3 year old wanting to distract her and destroy the house lol...We live in Georgia at the moment but are moving to Tennessee come summer time. Due to problems with the local head start I believe we are starting to believe we need to home school the kids for their safety from government scum. Anyone else here from Tn? Probably moving to eastern tn...not sure yet.

moostraks
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM

So you are a part of the Northeastern chapter? I suppose you have heard of my husband? They use him for their mailers...

Let's see I am 41, dh is 39. We have 8 children, 5 girls 3 boys. We are shooting for a baker's dozen but I think we might run out of time for that to happen. My husband is a printer by trade which he still does part time but lost the career in the great recession. Since then, he works at an automotive industry related job. We have been married for 11 years, he adopted the two eldest children. We are in our ninth year of homeschooling if ds1 and I are recalling it correctly.:o I love to help people break free from the government indoctrination centers aka public schools. They were incredibly detrimental to the eldest child and can't encourage people enough to investigate them and do whatever is necessary to avoid using them. When we found Dr.Paul, I developed a bit of an obsession which my husband willingly indulges. My focus is on raising liberty minded children and trying to undo the damage the state caused to the eldest child. Living within limited means and limited time we do what we can to further freedom in our corner of the world.

LoneWolf
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Wow...8 kids!? That is great...what was the final step in saying you would never home school your kids? I am un easy to say the least about the fact any government agency can come and talk to my kids at school without my permission or even notifying me.